NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Super Mario Maker 2 Direct (15/05/19)

t1557957600z4.png

Only a short one, but a welcome one nonetheless!

Gimme a Super Mario Land skin already!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

content-4-35771-supermariomaker2directbanner.jpg

Annnd it's up on the main site. :peace:

Cheers for the heads-up @Dcubed I gave you a credit at the bottom of the article. :D

So, this should be an interesting one to watch then, I must admit... I'm also hoping for a Super Mario Land theme. :smile:

If Nintendo have been paying attention to what has been going on with that fan-made DX version of Super Mario Land...

...and we know they have, then... surely it's a shoe-in at the very least? ;)

• Thanks 1

I will accept nothing less than a Super Mario movie theme. Nothing!

Maybe the cartoon style used in the character avatars in 3D World/Land. 

• Haha 1

Not the Direct I wanted but it's the one we got. Won't be watching it live as it's too late for me but I don't expect anything ground breaking either so it'll be fine. 

Interesting! With it releasing so soon after E3 I guess they need to get more info out before then.

The big thing for me will be the social/sharing features. There needs to be better curation than on the original game. Things like keywords/filters for the types of levels, ratings etc that sort of thing. Also the ability to leave comments, now that Miiverse is no more.

The game itself is going to have a ton of new features, I've been watching some Gamexplain vids where they delve into screenshots and videos from Japan etc and it's looking like a proper sequel. Not expecting any other new theme apart from 3D World but what you can do in the levels seems far broader than the original.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Not the Direct I wanted but it's the one we got. 

Same but I'm hoping with them doing a Direct now it'll mean the game won't have a long presence during their E3 Direct. 

It’ll be interesting to see what they reveal, as the initial trailer showed a lot of new changes / improvements.  I know it’s primarily a 15-minute hype video, but let’s see if there is anything new or if they delve deeper into the findings of the Gamexplain videos.

The only thing I hope they leave out (but won't) are sound effects. Those felt really out of place in the original (apart from boss music etc)

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The only thing I hope they leave out (but won't) are sound effects. Those felt really out of place in the original (apart from boss music etc)

What!? You didn’t like my evil 1up level in the first SMM!?

I loved the sound effects! I hope we get more of them; they were hilarious when done right!

• Like 1

The sound effects are already confirmed to be back in this version, including the best sound effect. ;) It’ll be hidden in all of my stages again. :heh: 

• Weird 2

Cracking amount of new stuff added to the game, even if I won't be using a single one of them. :p 

Happy to see that there's substantial content for people like myself who just want to play and not create. I look forward to trying out those 100+ Nintendo created stages.

Chuffed to bits we finally have an online Mario! For years we've had people on here and elsewhere claiming that an online multiplayer Mario game couldn't work due to lag, shoddy connections, lack of precision and other excuses and Nintendo would never do it. It's finally happened and I couldn't be happier. The fact that you can have both co-op and competitive modes is the icing on Princess Peach's birthday cake. Great stuff.

• Thanks 1

Incredible amount of love, quality and detail shown for this game, I'm in awe, even if it's hardly surprising at this point, Nintendo are on fire this gen.

Fantastic Direct too, they certainly know how to fill 15 minutes worth :blank:

The 3D World theme looks loads of fun, I'm glad they put a "story" mode in too. Did anyone catch the Super Nintendo logo that flashed up when Mario jumped into the green car? That was a bit weird.

Relieved to see tags for courses, that was a big omisson fom the first game and should make searching for courses much easier.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

content-4-35773-supermariomaker2directbanner.jpg

And that's the Roundup done. :peace:

A pretty good showing from Nintendo there I thought. :D

Roll on June 28th.

• Thanks 3

Also, Nintendo Switch Online becoming better and better all the time.

*thinks back to that dozen page thread absolutely slaughtering it* :blank:

It's an absolute steal nowadays + special offers as promised like Tetris 99 and the £20 off vouchers.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Also, Nintendo Switch Online becoming better and better all the time.

*thinks back to that dozen page thread absolutely slaughtering it* :blank:

It's an absolute steal nowadays + special offers as promised like Tetris 99 and the £20 off vouchers.

For me it's still rubbish.

Until they give us actual ways to communicate with the Switch and interact with our friends, I will always feel this way. Having to organise online sessions in 2019 via a forum rather than the actual console is pretty rough.

The voucher offer is pretty much useless for people who buy physical goods. Plus, the offer itself only brings the games down to around what some retailers are charging anyway. Still, those who do but digital it at least brings the prices down. I imagine lots of people will be using it for Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

Putting an online mode in this is a step in the right direction. It's pointless having an online subscription when you have very few games that actually have online modes.

@RedShell hasn't commentated about the Direct yet. Dude must have keeled over with excitement. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The 3D World theme looks loads of fun, I'm glad they put a "story" mode in too. Did anyone catch the Super Nintendo logo that flashed up when Mario jumped into the green car? That was a bit weird.

Yeah, it was a bit strange. I've no idea what it was all about. No doubt GameXplain will do a 2 hour long video about it though.

• Haha 1

Did the direct mention whether a level someone makes can be set so that Co-op can't be played on it?

Don't get me wrong, I love Co-op, but I'm gonna have to take that kind of thing into account if you can't stop people playing co-op on your levels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@RedShell hasn't commentated about the Direct yet. Dude must have keeled over with excitement. :D 

Pretty much. :laughing: 

Yeah, that was an absolutely amazing Direct for me. This is how you make a sequel! :cool: So many fantastic additions and improvements, some of which I wasn’t expecting at all, like online co-op! :bouncy:

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it was a bit strange. I've no idea what it was all about. No doubt GameXplain will do a 2 hour long video about it though.

I’m guessing it’s just one of the new effects, they seem to be adding some pretty bonkers stuff to those, even from other game series. :hehe: 

Get the feeling extra effects and course themes will be released as DLC too. Nintendo are loving the whole crossover thing these days so they’ll probably go nuts with that. Hope so, anyway. :D 

• Like 2

Online and local multiplayer is huge, but I reckon that the Course Conditions options are perhaps an even bigger addition! That changes so much about what you can do with levels! And blows the doors off in terms of what you can do with puzzle style levels!

The Stop Scrolling option is also basically made for me! They saw how much I was trying to stretch the original game to make self-contained rooms and said, "screw it! Let's just let him have what he wants" :laughing:

While it looks like a glorified expansion pack, it does look like one hell of an expansion pack at least!

The fact that the Super Mario 3D World mode can't be mixed with the original 4, does actually open up the game to more possiblities.  The different game types no longer all need to match each other in terms of mechanics; so having Super Mario Bros 2/USA as a future option is indeed possible now! (And they are very blatantly planning additional game styles in the future, with that really obvious blank space on the menu... just waiting to be filled...)

Yup.  This is gonna be awesome! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope that there’s a way to play your own levels (and the levels you’ve downloaded) in multiplayer.  So far, the multiplayer that has been shown only allows you to play random online levels... Would be a bit of a bummer if there was no way to play your own levels in multiplayer...

3D World having a load of exclusive stuff is a bit of a shame as it's the blandest art style. 

Other than that lots of interesting things. I doubt I'll get it at launch but I'm sure I'll get it at some point. 

Do we know yet if they're going to gatekeep features behind a time delay again?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ashley said:

3D World having a load of exclusive stuff is a bit of a shame as it's the blandest art style. 

Other than that lots of interesting things. I doubt I'll get it at launch but I'm sure I'll get it at some point. 

Do we know yet if they're going to gatekeep features behind a time delay again?

I think the 3D World art style looks great!  It’s U that bland and flavourless, 3D World actually uses nice backgrounds and 3D geometry. Better lighting too. 

It being a separate style is a shame but it opens up the possibilities for other styles in the future like 64, Land etc. Ones that function just that little bit too differently to the others. 

• Thanks 1

I dunno, there's just something so bland about the character art. The whole New/World/Land games have never really sat right with me. 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this