NEurope
Ronnie

Nintendo at E3 2019

Managed to watch this at work. This might be one of my favourite E3 Directs ever.

• DQ Heroes (one of which is Eldrick) were the newcomer for Smash! Told'ja! I really hope that "Menu" mechanic works like a stance change.
  • Doug Bowser's joke was all I wanted from him.
  • I don't care for the Mana series or No More Heroes, but even I could feel the hype behind those announcements
  • PANZER DRAGOON!? Holy cow, are they remaking the series, even though the original code was lost? This is monumental!
  • Link's Awakening looks so good. Love how Link's face looks
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses dropped a bit of a bombshell in that trailer. I'm so hyped for this.
  • Banjo&Kazooie left me speechless. I never expected to be as happy as I was. I have no nostalgia for them, I'm just happy that Banjo fans finally caught a break
  • BotW 2 looks super good. Still need to play the first one...

Everything else looked decent-to-good, I just don't care much for those other titles.

But man, what I do care about looked so good!

content-4-35831-nintendoe32019trailersbanner.jpg

E3 2019 Trailers Roundup all* of the trailers, in one place. :D

*might not be all of the trailers, but most of them.

Enjoy! :peace:

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Still need to play the first one...

:blank:

Yes. Yes you do.

I still keep watching that Banjo reveal. 

Could be one of my favourite E3 moments ever. 

Seeing Grant Kirkhopes Twitter during and after has been actually a bit emotional! The guy is overjoyed, and rightly so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching the Fire Emblem stuff on the Treehouse and I gotta say, I think the character models look pretty rough/jaggy.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Watching the Fire Emblem stuff on the Treehouse and I gotta say, I think the character models look pretty rough/jaggy.

Watching as well, was just coming on to say the game itself looks really fun. I had no idea Fire Emblem games were like this outside of the battles.

Hadn't really noticed the rough character models but now that you mention it...

Bloody hell! Is this a Fire Emblem game or a Football Manager game!? The amount of out-of-battle management stuff is insane! I will definitely be using the auto-tutor option... if indeed I even play this one...

So far I'm not impressed with the gameplay.  It just looks WAY too focused on the RPG busy-work mechanics and not enough on the actual strategy gameplay.  Also the setting/scenario is super offputting for me... Especially since they just confirmed that you can romance your own students... No thanks.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The whole game's visuals look shockingly crap.  It's jag city and the environments and animations look rubbish.  The 3DS games looked great, so its really surprising how bad FETH looks...

The only thing that looks good is the UI.

Watching as well, was just coming on to say the game itself looks really fun. I had no idea Fire Emblem games were like this outside of the battles.

Hadn't really noticed the rough character models but now that you mention it...

It's not normally THIS in-depth.  It's normally much more focused on the actual strategy gameplay.  Here, the core gameplay looks almost like an afterthought :( 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Confused 1

@Dcubed Yeah, I'm not a fan of the setting either, but then they are aiming for a certain market with the FE series these days and I think the game will appeal to them.

At least the music sounds good.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

This indoor section looks better at least

Yeah, I was just about to say.  This map looks more interesting; I like the more labyrinthine maps of the FE games, so this looks a lot more promising :) 

A bit weird how the stats pop up after every attack.

I feel like this is the kind of game that I'll play a third of the way through and then just get bored and stop playing. Similar to Octopath

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

A bit weird how the stats pop up after every attack.

I feel like this is the kind of game that I'll play a third of the way through and then just get bored and stop playing. Similar to Octopath

Yeah, if JRPGs aren't your jam then it's probably best to avoid this.

• Sad 1

I dunno if I can deal with all of this insane busy-work with FETH.  I might just skip it altogether; it's really not aimed at me anymore...

I play Fire Emblem for the strategy gameplay, not to play a knock-off Persona.  I'm not interested in all of the romancing crap and all the stat minutia; I want a good strategy game first and the RPG stuff second.

I still need to play FE:Fates and Shadows of Valentia anyway.  I didn't really like Awakening at all (very poorly balanced game, with some absolutely BS design choices that were clearly made without Classic Mode in mind at all), so I'm not really enamoured by Fates (or Three Houses so far), but I'm looking forward to finding time to play SOV at least!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Where's Jose, I was hoping to see him on these livestreams

I'm surprised he has been used for these segments. I had issues with him but there was no denying he was good in front of the camera and I think he would do well in the Treehouse segments.

Looking forward to seeing the multiplayer in LM3. It was such an underrated part of the second game and I had quite a good time playing it online.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

I dunno if I can deal with all of this insane busy-work with FETH.  I might just skip it altogether; it's really not aimed at me anymore...

I play Fire Emblem for the strategy gameplay, not to play a knock-off Persona.  I'm not interested in all of the romancing crap and all the stat minutia; I want a good strategy game first and the RPG stuff second.

I still need to play FE:Fates and Shadows of Valentia anyway.  I didn't really like Awakening at all (very poorly balanced game, with some absolutely BS design choices that were clearly made without Classic Mode in mind at all), so I'm not really enamoured by Fates (or Three Houses so far), but I'm looking forward to finding time to play SOV at least!

I started playing Shadows of Valentia a few weeks back but I got sidetracked by the DQ series. From what I played of it so far it feels much more like a classic FE game especially the artwork. I love the free roaming dungeon sections! 

• Thanks 1

That bashing the ghosts against the floor seems a bit mindless and spammy :blank:

I just caught up with yesterday's LM3 Treehouse Live video a couple of hours ago... Bloody hell! This game looks INCREDIBLE! It really looks like NLG took the critisism of LM2 to heart and fixed pretty much everything.  The interconnected level design looks fantastic! (so multilayered! so much variety and creativity on display!) The boss ghosts look BRILLIANT, everything about it just looks utterly superb! (including the visuals; easily the best looking Switch game!).  It just looks so fun! And so well designed!

It really looks like everything I was hoping it would be! Can't bloody wait! It's exactly the kind of handcrafted, single player action adventure game I've been waiting so long for on Switch from Nintendo! :D 

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm surprised he has been used for these segments. I had issues with him but there was no denying he was good in front of the camera and I think he would do well in the Treehouse segments.

Looking forward to seeing the multiplayer in LM3. It was such an underrated part of the second game and I had quite a good time playing it online.

Same! Absolutely loved the Scarescraper mode in LM2, so I'm thrilled to see it come back! And it looks even better than before in this stream! :D 

Edit: Oh snap! 8 player support!?

Edited by Dcubed

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I started playing Shadows of Valentia a few weeks back but I got sidetracked by the DQ series. From what I played of it so far it feels much more like a classic FE game especially the artwork. I love the free roaming dungeon sections! 

Yeah, I've had it since it first came out in 2017; but simply haven't had time to play it.  I've always wanted to play FE Gaiden; and I love the old FE games (pre-Awakening), so I can't wait to finally get the time to really sink my teeth into it!

I was initially really interested in Three Houses, since it was purposely taking a lot of ideas and concepts from Gaiden/SOV; but sadly it looks like they've all taken a backseat to the pandery, Persona knockoff stuff in the final product :( 

Edited by Dcubed

Bloody hell! I still can't believe that we have Seiken Densetsu 3 in English! It's just amazing!!

God I hope that we see M2 go back and localise more classic titles... Would love to see the classic JPN only Fire Emblem titles finally get a proper localisation, HINT HINT M2!!!

• Like 1

The Trials of Mana remake looks bloody fantastic! They've really nailed the look and feel; and the gameplay looks brilliant!

Can't believe that we're getting this remake AND the original!! It's hard to believe that modern S-E is even capable of making something like this! :D 

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The Trials of Mana remake looks bloody fantastic! They've really nailed the look and feel; and the gameplay looks brilliant!

Can't believe that we're getting this remake AND the original!! It's hard to believe that modern S-E is even capable of making something like this! :D 

Looks a lot better than the previous remake they did.

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They made Dragon Quest XI. They are very capable when they want to be.

This does indeed look lovely. I'll probably get it for the PS4. I imagine the visuals will be crisper on that version. The Switch footage looks a bit soft, although that could just be the stream.

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They made Dragon Quest XI. They are very capable when they want to be.

This does indeed look lovely. I'll probably get it for the PS4. I imagine the visuals will be crisper on that version. The Switch footage looks a bit soft, although that could just be the stream.

No they didn't... Dragon Quest 11 was developed by Orca, NOT Square Enix.  None of the DQ games have ever been developed in-house (with the sole exception of DQ10).

S-E have never managed to make a game of this kind of scale in HD (especially not an action RPG)... except for Kingdom Hearts 3 (which took them about 5-6 years to make).  So it really is shocking to see it come from them! And it looks complete in a way that other S-E HD games just... aren't!

I do wonder if Greezo are actually making this; considering that they made the original game when they were part of Squaresoft back in the 90s...

Edited by Dcubed