NEurope
Ronnie

Nintendo at E3 2019

Great Direct, E3 2019 saved!

Definite Majora's Mask vibes from the BOTW2 teaser!

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No Retro Studios again. :laughing:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. WTF is going on over there

Most of the stuff shown in this is stuff I’ve got no interest in, all that crazy, Japanese RPG or fighting stuff does nothing for me at all. Same for Smash and Pokemon  

As for the rest, Luigi’s Mansion looks incredible, Animal Crossing looked ok but didn’t blow me away and the sequel to BotW was a nice announcement, however it looks like it’s just going to reuse the same map so I was honestly expecting it to be an expansion rather than a full blown sequel. If it doesn’t have a new world to explore, it’ll lose that sense of discovery. 

Not a great Direct for me personally, but I don’t think they aim them at people like me. 

I loved every section of that Direct. So many games in 40 minutes and some very cool surprises, like Breath of the Wild 2.

Also that Banjo Smash reveal trailer was fantastic

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. WTF is going on over there

The game they were working on must have been cancelled at this point. I imagine now they are just working on Prime 4.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game they were working on must have been cancelled at this point. I imagine now they are just working on Prime 4.

5 years though!

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

5 years though!

Yeah, it is a bit rough. Whatever they were working on must have went through development hell.

Just now, Dog-amoto said:

Oh...and no SNES games announcement as well :cry:

Bah! You're right. Completely forgot about that. :(

A pretty good Direct. A good variety of goods from a wide range of genres and a lot of output from Nintendo themselves to fill in the gaps in the still somewhat lacking third party support (it's there, it's just not as strong as it could and should be and I think we can all agree to that. Indie wise it's a different story but from big third party studios, it's not quite there).

Links Awakening still looks great as does Luigi's Mansion 3 (though the lack of solid date on that was strange).

Animal Crossing doesn't do much for me and there is the worry there about whether Pocket Camp has impacted this next game but it looked alright.

That Banjo reveal trailer was superb. They've been fantastic with their Smash Bros trailers and it was another great one. That jigsaw piece went across the screen fast but I knew it as soon as I heard the chime. I had the feed cut out in me during but manage to get back in just before the fake reveal and then to see Banjo and Kazooie turn up. Nicely done.

But Yeah, overall a good Direct but I'd go so far as to say I enjoyed the KFG showcase more but then I have been focusing on playing a lot more indies recently.

The lack of Retro must mean that they're solely working on Metroid Prime 4 at this point. We know they were working on two titles at one point with one being cancelled and staff upheaval following that. But I wonder if the game has been put on the back burner to go all hands on with MP4 what with them having announced it and then having to delay and change developer for it. Maybe it'll surface at some other point but it's probably dead for now. Nintendo do need to stop bringing them in the assist on development of other games, which may have also factored into the long silence there. We may get an update as the week goes on but I suspect that's why they announced BotW2 to compensate for not having Retro's new game.

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

Oh, I thought it was at 6! Where can I watch the Direct?

Nintendo youtube

5 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

Oh...and no SNES games announcement as well :cry:

That always struck me as more of a regular Direct kind of announcement tbh, or even at the same time as their new mini/Pro hardware revisions.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Nintendo youtube

Ah, had to rewind the live stream.

WELCOME FUCKING HOME BANJO!!!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

The BoTW sequel has Twilight Princess vibes - the colours & sounds are eerily similar to those in the Twilight Realm.

They weren't kidding when Sakurai said everyone is here!

I don't need to watch anymore, see ya next year.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ike said:

They weren't kidding when Sakurai said everyone is here!

I don't need to watch anymore, see ya next year.

I was wondering why you didn't react to the start of the Direct. Knowing you missed it now it makes sense. :) 

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Bah! Audrey is on the stream. *hits the mute button* :D 

Exaaaaactly.

I don't mean to judge but she gets weirder looking every year, she even sounds completely different!

I completely forgot about the Panzer Dragoon remake announcement. As soon as that trailer started, I knew right away. Crazy to see that coming back even if it's a remake.

And also cool to see The Sinking City in amongst the third party stuff (and Super Lucky's Tale. Was expecting Ori and not that). Hearing some impressions that are positive with regards to the final product so may be one to watch. Something I'm keeping my eyes on especially after A Plague Tale ended up being good. Could be another solid AA title.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Exaaaaactly.

I don't mean to judge but she gets weirder looking every year, she even sounds completely different!

I dunno why but I burst out laughing reading this. :D You do have a point though. I thought she looked a little off last year as well.

Wow! Trials of Mana was localised into full EFIGS!! That’s amazing! I was expecting English only!!

I'm so happy that they didn't concentrate on a single game during the Direct and instead just had a wide variety of games to show. It makes for a much better showing, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm so happy that they didn't concentrate on a single game during the Direct and instead just had a wide variety of games to show. It makes for a much better showing, IMO.

It was really well paced too, game after game, very few went on too long and just the right amount of chat. Funny intro for Doug Bowser too

Edited by Ronnie