NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

10 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They’ve basically run out of first party games now and yet they’ve got nothing to say...

I'd say Final Fantasy VII Remake, Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima is a damn good first party year.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I'd say Final Fantasy VII Remake, Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima is a damn good first party year.

FF7 is not first party.

Sony also have nothing left after TLOU 2 that has been announced.  Once that game comes out, that’s it.  There’s nothing left.

It’s clear that they’re looking to move fully onto PS5, but none of their first party studios are ready to announce anything else now; not unless the PS5 is coming out this year... which is looking increasingly unlikely...

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

FF7 is not first party.

Sony also have nothing left after TLOU 2 that has been announced.  Once that game comes out, that’s it.  There’s nothing left.

It’s clear that they’re looking to move fully onto PS5, but none of their first party studios are ready to announce anything else now; not unless the PS5 is coming out this year... which is looking increasingly unlikely...

What else is FF7 coming out for?

Ghost of Tsushima comes out after TLOU2...

EDIT: Oh I see you said first party.

To be fair this is no different to usual really. Other devs always wait to announce for new consoles and we get the obvious games that will be coming out for the next generation but they can't say yet. Other than them not having said anything for a while I don't particularly see much different between this and when the PS4 came out.

Edited by Happenstance

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

That list of exclusives, along with things like Yakuza 7 and Nioh 2, as well as 3rd party offerings like Resident Evil 3 and Cyberpunk, makes for a great lineup up for the supposedly final year of a console.

I honestly don't get where all this doom and gloom is coming from. Just because Sony aren't talking about the PS5 doesn't mean to say they aren't ready. I mean, just look at the Switch. Nintendo were in a far worse position than Sony, coming off of the Wii U and the 3DS on its last legs, and yet they kept quiet until they were ready to speak about their next console. 6 months later and it was launched and was very successful. Actually, the PS4 was pretty much the same, shown in Feb and launched 8 months later.

I dunno, I think gamers have become so accustomed to having leaks and info at their finger tips that they go crazy when companies remain silent. You see it with Nintendo Directs, especially at the moment. People are freaking out as if Nintendo are just going to stop supporting the Switch just because there's been no Direct for six months.

In terms of Microsoft, the way I see it is that if they launch first and Sony do delay, then it will enable Sony to price their console more competitively, as well as having more games ready. At the moment it's as if both of them are playing chicken to see who announces a price point first.

My stance hasn't changed at all in regards to the release of the PS5. I doubt I'll get it at launch and I think both Sony and Microsoft should take the time they need in order to get things right. Microsoft are obviously in a position where they want to get the next generation started ASAP so it will be interesting to see how things play out for them.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

What else is FF7 coming out for?

Ghost of Tsushima comes out after TLOU2...

EDIT: Oh I see you said first party.

To be fair this is no different to usual really. Other devs always wait to announce for new consoles and we get the obvious games that will be coming out for the next generation but they can't say yet. Other than them not having said anything for a while I don't particularly see much different between this and when the PS4 came out.

They have literally ZERO games announced as upcoming after these last ones come out in a few months; not even undated releases.

They have a console that is supposed to launch around November this year and they continue to say nothing.

This is NOT a normal situation for Sony at all.  It’s very out of character for them; and it’s one that is completely without precedent.  It does imply that something has gone horribly wrong behind the scenes; and the coronavirus situation does NOT help matters.

Edited by Dcubed

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They have literally ZERO games announced as upcoming after these last ones come out in a few months; not even undated releases.

They have a console that is supposed to launch around November this year and they continue to say nothing.

This is NOT a normal situation for Sony at all.  It’s very out of character for them; and it’s one that is completely without precedent.  It does imply that something has gone horribly wrong behind the scenes; and the coronavirus situation does NOT help matters.

I mean, if something has gone wrong would it even matter to you? You don't see that invested in the PlayStation ecosystem anyway.::shrug: 

You seem more freaked out by all of this more than any of us who do play on our PS4s a lot. :laughing:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I honestly don't get where all this doom and gloom is coming from.

I don't get it either...I'm not worried at all.

Sony is still in a strong position with the PS4 and that's almost 7 (!) years after its release. Quite a few heavy hitters to be released.

People can complain all they want, but Sony simply doesn't need to announce anything right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I mean, if something has gone wrong would it even matter to you? You don't see that invested in the PlayStation ecosystem anyway.::shrug: 

You seem more freaked out by all of this more than any of us who do play on our PS4s a lot. :laughing:

I’m interested in it from an industry dynamics perspective.  Couldn’t care less for the console itself, but what it means for the dynamics of the industry as a whole? I’m VERY interested!

And it’s a very interesting time for both Sony and the industry as a whole.  Right now, Sony’s behaviour is outright bizzare for them; and the potential knock on effects of a PS5 launch delay could change the entire way the industry functions.  It’s all fascinating and well worth discussing, even if I’m not all that enamoured by the console itself personally.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

FF7 is not first party.

Doesn't really matter if it's first party, they're still exclusives (even if timed for a year in the case of FFVII). Plenty of games coming out! More than the Switch has announced for it and that's a console that's nowhere near end of life, but nobody seems that worried about that. I feel like you're stirring the pot a bit if I'm being honest. :laughing:

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

And it’s a very interesting time for both Sony and the industry as a whole.  Right now, Sony’s behaviour is outright bizzare for them; and the potential knock on effects of a PS5 launch delay could change the entire way the industry functions.  It’s all fascinating and well worth discussing, even if I’m not all that enamoured by the console itself personally.

I don't think Sony's playing daft here - they know they have the upper hand and they were able to quite confidently crush Microsoft before because Microsoft went first. Remember that E3 2013 presentation where Sony just had to create a presentation saying "we can do used games" and whatnot (things they would never have focused on had Microsoft not already announced you couldn't do that). There's merit to holding the cards close to your chest. Most people will just stick to the ecosystem they are already in next generation unless something goes really wrong. Sony also have much stronger first party games and have served their customers well this gen - people don't forget that.

My theory:

Both Sony and Microsoft are waiting for each other to make the first move.

download.jpg

This will continue perpetually, we won't see any new conosles from either, CONSOLE GAMING IS DOOMED.

• Haha 4

Flashbacks to that horrid Playstation Meeting with Cerny at the PS4 Pro reveal... *shudder*

Finally some news though :hehe:

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Flashbacks to that horrid Playstation Meeting with Cerny at the PS4 Pro reveal... *shudder*

Finally some news though :hehe:

What was horrid about it?

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

...now can people stop trying to push the idea that Sony are on the ropes?

The console may yet end up being pushed out of this year due to production problems due to the coronavirus pandemic, but they had very little reason to come out any earlier than this.

Xbox had to come out early because there's so much more that they need to do to make the Series X a success. Not to say that PlayStation couldn't bottle it, just that they're of course in a much, much better position, and have been for the better half of the last decade.

Not surprised they've waited for Microsoft to do their thing first.

Personally, I'm no too interested. Numbers being thrown around doesn't mean much to me. I'd rather hear about games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Personally, I'm not too interested. Numbers being thrown around doesn't mean much to me. I'd rather hear about games.

100%.

Only reason I'm in day 1 at the moment is because I've managed to avoid picking up a Pro for this long, so at the very least just for my PS4 catalogue (still got plenty to play), it'll be worth the upgrade for me.

But definitely expecting to see some great and exciting games revealed in the next 6 months. Going to be interesting to see how they handle their game reveals this time around. 

• Thanks 1

I think Day 1 becomes very likely for me for a few reasons:

• There'll be backwards compatibility so no interruption to playing the games you're already playing
  • Price cuts to consoles usually don't happen for a couple of years (and even then the price doesn't go down that much), so you're probably not saving that much money by waiting
  • Play the better versions of new games that come out, and possibly boost performance for existing PS4 games (similar to the boost mode on PS4 Pro).
  • If the reduced load times are true, that could be a real incentive to get it

The specs reveal is interesting in the sense that it will give you an idea of price, and they might go into more detail about these reduced load times. Either way I am expecting the critics - it'll either be presumed weaker than the Xbox, or more powerful and therefore prohibitively expensive. But as you're all saying, we know Sony have got the games to back it up and that's the main thing that matters.

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

100%.

Only reason I'm in day 1 at the moment is because I've managed to avoid picking up a Pro for this long, so at the very least just for my PS4 catalogue (still got plenty to play), it'll be worth the upgrade for me.

Yeah this is me as well, still running my base launch PS4 and a 1080p tv so will make the jump to PS5 and 4K at launch. If I can bring all my digital and PS plus library over it’s well worth the upgrade.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

What was horrid about it?

It was very boring and dry. Admittedly, it was made for a more tech savvy audience but as a general gamer I found it to be a snooze fest. I'm hoping this event won't be the same.

33 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Personally, I'm no too interested. Numbers being thrown around doesn't mean much to me. I'd rather hear about games.

Same for me.

I don't care who has the more powerful console, how many flops it is or whatever other jargon they decide spit out. Until games are announced and ready to be shown then my interest in both these next generation consoles remains very low. It's probably the least excited i've been for a new console generation, mainly because I think what we have now is fine and there are still a stupid amount of games to get through.

In terms of tech stuff, the only thing I am interested in is whether or not the thing will support backwards compatibility for generations other than the PS4. 

Time for Sony to come out swinging.  It's now or... well, maybe some time next year.

57 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It was very boring and dry. Admittedly, it was made for a more tech savvy audience but as a general gamer I found it to be a snooze fest. I'm hoping this event won't be the same.

"Look at all that HDR goodness!!" 20 people in the room: "Oooooh", millions watching online: ":blank:". The problem was they didn't manage expectation going in, which is really important these days. It's why Nintendo Directs usually tell people exactly how long the next one will last, and what will be discussed. Or why companies pipe up before big events saying our game won't be there etc 

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm guessing it's because it was targeted at the tech enthusiast, as most people will be happy with the cheaper base PS4. Admittedly both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X were only ever stop gaps for the next generation consoles, offering boosts to resolution and framerate but little else. In that sense it was never going to be as exciting as a new generation of consoles.

As for managing expectations, they outlined exactly what it was - nobody was left thinking either before or after that this was a new generation or that it would have its own new games that the old system couldn't play. Maybe because it was solely focused on specs and performance and not about games, it would be boring to most people.

At the end of the day though I'm not too bothered about how dry this presentation will be (which it may be, if this is spec focused), so long as they get the facts across clearly and give us the information we've been asking for.

Edited by Sheikah

I imagine that this will be more similar to the 2013 PS4 'reveal' event, where we get introduced to the system and launch games. By the end we'll have an idea of their general strategy for the system and the tech that's powering it. Hopefully they'll confirm BC with PS1 and PS2 games too.

The Pro event was cool I thought, but I am a nerd so hey ho. It wasn't targeting the mass audience that the PS4 reveal event was.