NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I've definitely almost completely shifted to digital only for my PS5. Obviously did it years ago on PC but it took me this long to do it for console. It was mostly the cheaper price of physical games that kept me buying them.

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yup, if by that point the entirety of gaming hasn't left physical copies left for dead :(

It's certainly heading that way and was stupidly accelerated thanks to covid. I do wonder if physical games will be able to remain in the market. I think of how CDs and DVD/BluRays are still around despite the mass market streaming most things but I dunno if you can compare those industries to the gaming industry. 

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's certainly heading that way and was stupidly accelerated thanks to covid. I do wonder if physical games will be able to remain in the market. I think of how CDs and DVD/BluRays are still around despite the mass market streaming most things but I dunno if you can compare those industries to the gaming industry. 

Yeah I think it is a harder one to compare. Games when downloaded will still play the same while blu rays still tend to be superior to their streamed or digital versions. Plus you still get a load of extras which are mostly unique to physical movie discs. Granted it's not the majority these days but there's still a big enough audience for physical media in movie/TV discs. The recent release of the 1-6 Star Trek movies 4k boxset being an example of this when they released the 1-4 boxset to guage interest and the sales were good enough to justify more (and annoy all the people that bought the 1-4 boxset).

• Thanks 1

Wanna see a wonderful display of my video gaming skills? The Messenger brings it all out:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

And this always gets me :( 

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Rumour time.

If you thought The Last of Us Part 1 divided players up on whether or not a game needed a remake, prepare yourselves as it has been revealed to us that PlayStation is now remaking or remastering (details are still unclear) Horizon Zero Dawn, a game that is only five years old and had its sequel released earlier this year.
Our source didn't elaborate whether or not this was a "built from the ground up" style of remake, however we were told that the remake features an improved lighting system (ambient occlusion, and such), overhauled textures. and better animations, with new character models to match those found in the sequel, Horizon Forbidden West.

Outside of that, we were told there is big focus on bringing the accessibility options that the sequel introduced. Different graphic modes will also be available, though that is a given since most PS5 games have a performance, quality, and uncapped performance to take advantage of VRR (variable refresh rate). For gameplay changes themselves, there are some subtle improvements, mostly those being the quality of life improvements the sequel brought. It wasn't confirmed whether or not we would see flyable mounts, or a glider, though we suppose that is unlikely given to their story related importance in the sequel.

As it turns out, the Zero Dawn Remake/Remaster isn't the only Horizon related project that is in the works, as we also learned from other sources (info collaborated with our original source) that a team (presumed to be Guerrilla Games) at PlayStation are currently developing a Horizon online multiplayer game for both the PS5 and PC.
Two sources have verified that the project is in indeed real, with a third giving some brief details that it may feature a form of co-op. Customization is said to around the different tribes established in the Horizon franchise, however, we have not been able to verify either that, nor the details on whether or not the online would feature any sort of co-op, or PvP.

Hilarious, if true. This is another game that doesn't really need a remaster or remake. Again, if it is true, to me it's another disappointing decision by Sony. I just can't get on board with them in this generation. 

Hey Playstation, how about instead of another pointless remake of a five year old game, you give gamers some actual exclusives to play on their shiny new PS5. TWO YEARS into the lifespan and in terms of big games:

- Returnal
- Ratchet
- Demon's Souls

That's it. 

Maybe I'm the only one who's PS5 has been gathering dust for most of this year but man, it's been a shocking generation so far imo.

I can kind of understand it if they're just bringing it up the same spec as Forbidden West, basically tweaking things slightly to implement accessibility options and take advantage of new graphical capabilities of the updated Decima engine but it does sound like they're taking the same sort of approach as The Last of Us Remake. No doubt they'll charge full price for it too. 

I haven't played Zero Dawn yet but I have the Complete Edition in my library, which has been patched to take advantage of PS5's extra power so it really doesn't seem necessary to go to the trouble of making a brand new native port. 

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that the only first party releases are Returnal, Ratchet and Demon's Souls (the cross gen releases haven't been held back as much as they might have been in previous generations) but there has definitely been a dearth of games that take full advantage of the new hardware. I haven't really noticed, I've still got plenty of PS4 games to play through, but I can see how it would be worrying to more die hard PS fans to see major studios getting tied up working unnecessary ports of very recent games. 

6 hours ago, killthenet said:

I can kind of understand it if they're just bringing it up the same spec as Forbidden West, basically tweaking things slightly to implement accessibility options and take advantage of new graphical capabilities of the updated Decima engine but it does sound like they're taking the same sort of approach as The Last of Us Remake. No doubt they'll charge full price for it too. 

Part of it is probably to tie in with the Netflix show and create more brand awareness, just like The Last of Us HBO show. If they charge full price for the thing then they will upset an already annoyed fanbase. There are so many other IPs they could use if they wanted to bring something back but it seems they are really doubling down on their 3rd person, cinematic adventure games. 

I've said it before i'll say it again, Sony and Microsoft have really disappointed this generation. Both are two years into it and both haven't really done anything substantial yet. With the way things are in the world, not to mention how long it takes to make these massive games, cross gen will continue to be a thing for a while and these newer consoles won't get their chance to sing for a few years yet.

I still go back and forth whether or not to just sell my PS5. The thing just sits there doing nothing for most of the time.

Looks like the rumour us legit and more leaks could be on the way...

A document featuring several announced and unannounced Sony Interactive Entertainment projects—including a remastered version of Horizon Zero Dawn for PlayStation 5, and Horizon online multiplayer project for PlayStation 5 and PC—was recently shared with Gematsu. Gematsu was able to independently verify several titles listed in the document with multiple sources familiar with their development, including the Horizon titles.

Well, if there's a showcase planned for this year it'll most definitely leak beforehand.

Time to avoid the likes of ResetEra and reddit :p 

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I still go back and forth whether or not to just sell my PS5. The thing just sits there doing nothing for most of the time.

It's the best way to play PS4 games though.

54 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's the best way to play PS4 games though.

My PS4 Pro does the job nicely. I've mentioned before that I use my PS4 for things like Prime, Netflix and D+, so it's the console I use the most. I bought the PS5 for new software but it just hasn't happened.

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

My PS4 Pro does the job nicely. I've mentioned before that I use my PS4 for things like Prime, Netflix and D+, so it's the console I use the most. I bought the PS5 for new software but it just hasn't happened.

Are they not available on the PS5?

The games load faster due to the SSD.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Are they not available on the PS5?

The games load faster due to the SSD.

I think all of them are apart from the Sky app.

Indeed they do.

Was very surprised to see that today's firmware update wasn't only the good old stability stuff:

ONE-PIECE-PIRATE-WARRIORS-3-20221012162100.jpg

ONE-PIECE-PIRATE-WARRIORS-3-20221012162109.jpg

Trophies are now much more easily accessible through a card. No more holding down the PS button and then movie to the trophies.

Love that Sony keeps adding those little touches to an already great UI :) 

I couldn't help but think of this post when Eurogamer posted this article today.

TL;DR but using consoles (and particularly the PS4) for watching catchup/Netflix etc. is incredibly energy inefficient compared to a Chromecast at least. Per the metrics a PS4 uses 30 times as much energy as a Chromecast while using it for streaming.

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I couldn't help but think of this post when Eurogamer posted this article today.

TL;DR but using consoles (and particularly the PS4) for watching catchup/Netflix etc. is incredibly energy efficient compared to a Chromecast at least. Per the metrics a PS4 uses 30 times as much energy as a Chromecast while using it for streaming.

I've had a smart TV for years that has most of the apps I need but I still use the PS4. I actually have the internet features on my TV turned off. I think I updated it when I first got it (3-4 years ago) and have not connected it since.

• Thanks 1

TL;DR but using consoles (and particularly the PS4) for watching catchup/Netflix etc. is incredibly energy efficient compared to a Chromecast at least. Per the metrics a PS4 uses 30 times as much energy as a Chromecast while using it for streaming.
Presumably you mean energy inefficient?