NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

9 hours ago, Julius said:

Also, kudos to them for toning it down on the ass shots this time around

what-is-wrong-with-you-messed-up.gif

project-eve-hyung-tae-kim.gif

:p 

Ohhhh, I see Sable is getting a PS5 release? Sweet.

And PowerWash Simulator...I mean...there seems to be quite the audience for it but I'll never understand why :D 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

And PowerWash Simulator...I mean...there seems to be quite the audience for it but I'll never understand why :D 

From what I've heard it's just one of those calming games you can zone out to. I think a lot of people use it in co-op as kind of a background game to play while chatting with friends.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Finally confirmed for PlayStation platforms.

Maybe that's part of the reason why it's taking so long? Because they're developing for every console and their mother? :p 

That reminds me...I should play Hollow Knight again. Never understood the high praise it got. Not to say it's a bad game, I was just quite underwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Don't waste your time. There are much better Metroidvanias out there to play.

You can't just say that without giving at least one example :p  And don't say Castlevania: Symphony of the Night because I KNOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD. I should play it, shouldn't I?
Just checked and I have the Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood collection for my PS. I seem to have gotten all the trophies for Rondo of Blood. I don't remember playing it, though :blank: 

The last Metroidvania I played was Monster Sanctuary. Before that it was probably Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Always tried to get into Axiom Verge but never stuck with it for more than one or two hours.

I think you've played most of them but...

• Monster Boy
  • Bloodstained
  • Timespinners
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Dead Cells
  • Shantae series
  • Guacamelee
  • The Messenger 
  • Strider
  • Record of Lodoss war

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think you've played most of them but...

• Monster Boy
  • Bloodstained
  • Timespinners
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Dead Cells
  • Shantae series
  • Guacamelee
  • The Messenger 
  • Strider
  • Record of Lodoss war

True, I've played most of them.
But...The Messenger. Played it on the Switch (man, must've been 100 years ago) and loved it.

You know what? It's on PS+ The Greatest of All Time: Michael Jordan Edition. I guess it's time to play it again and get that Platinum :D 

Just now, drahkon said:

I guess it's time to play it again and get that Platinum :D 

Good man. Fantastic game and fun platinum.

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Fantastic game

It really is.
It's also hilarious. Just reached the shop for the first time (again) and I remember just how funny the shopkeeper is :D 

and fun platinum.

Good to know.
Checked a guide and the only missables are the shopkeeper's unskippable stories (which are a must read anyways :p) and going through the Dark Cave without the "necessary" upgrade. Should be simple enough :peace: 

I might have to go back and play some more of The Messenger myself, such a good game and an amazing soundtrack.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I might have to go back and play some more of The Messenger myself, such a good game and an amazing soundtrack.

Do it. :cool: 

And yes, the soundtrack is incredible.

Just need to remember where I own it now. I know I got it free with Twitch Prime but I have a feeling I bought it on another platform as well for easier access.

28 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just need to remember where I own it now. I know I got it free with Twitch Prime but I have a feeling I bought it on another platform as well for easier access.

Get it on Steam for your Steam Deck :p 

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Get it on Steam for your Steam Deck :p 

To be honest that's where I was hoping I'd rebought it for that very reason. Other than emulators I haven't added any other non-steam games to my Deck yet so now seems as good a time as any to test it.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

To be honest that's where I was hoping I'd rebought it for that very reason. Other than emulators I haven't added any other non-steam games to my Deck yet so now seems as good a time as any to test it.

Well it's working in the desktop mode but not when linked into the basic gaming mode that I'd prefer to launch it from so I'll probably just leave it for now and rebuy it when it's next on sale.

According to Tom Henderson, the PS5 is set to get a new model next year...with a detachable disc drive. This model is reportedly set to replace the current models. 

The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2024, say sources.

Sources familiar with Sony's plans have shared details under the condition of anonymity outlining the next iteration of the PlayStation 5. It's been suggested that this new console will completely replace the A, B, and C chassis that have been in production since the console's launch.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disk drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console.

It's understood that this new PlayStation 5 console will be sold on its own, or, in a bundle with the detachable disc drive. It's also understood that the disc drives can also be purchased separately, so, if it gets busted, there's no need to buy an entirely new console.

Sources have implied that although the new detachable disc drive is portable, it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external, presumably meaning the new PlayStation 5 will look similar to the existing model.

However, the new detachable disc drive could entail that the new iteration of the PlayStation 5 will be slimmer and lighter, which is something Sony has been trying to implement effectively with its latest PS5 models.

It’s understood that Sony is anticipating producing 18.5 million units of the new PlayStation 5 console in FY 2023 and only 12 million units of the A-C chassis consoles as they begin to be phased out.

Sony Interactive has reported that as of June 2022, the company has shipped over 21.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles. If these production figures are to be believed, it suggests that the company is expecting a significant ramp-up in the next couple of years as hardware components start to become more readily available.

Edited by Julius

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

This model is reportedly set to replace the current models. 

Will most likely streamline production and hopefully increase the console's availability :) 

I'll be interested to hear more about that, sounds like an odd change but if it makes consoles easier to repair it could be good.

Given the rate that digital sales are overtaking physical, this doesn't surprise me. It makes the all digital console the main SKU going forward but gives gamers who want discs an option. As Drahkon said, it will streamline the manufacturing process. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the format used for their next console.

There were rumours MS were also looking to do doing something similar for the Series S but nothing has surfaced yet. 

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Will most likely streamline production and hopefully increase the console's availability :) 

Yeah, I think you're right about that.

Also, with the detachable disc drive either being bundled in or sold separately, I think that in light of the recent pricing changes for both the Digital and Disc Editions of the PS5 as a result of the current economic climate, this is a great opportunity to give people the push to buy the console at a Digital Edition price of £389.99 rather than the Disc Edition at £479.99, and then at some time down the road, leave it up to them to pick up the detachable disc drive. And if they never pick up the detachable disc drive? Well then, PlayStation get the even greater benefit of more digital sales! 

Got to imagine Xbox are considering it for the Series S, I swear there were rumours dating back to the all-digital Xbox One S that they were planning on something like this. 

If the people who bought digital versions will also be able to use the external disk drive, then cool.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the format used for their next console.

Yup, if by that point the entirety of gaming hasn't left physical copies left for dead :(