NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

22 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I just want back buttons to be used independently of all the other buttons. I've had one controller with those and you could only map existing inputs to them. Not sure if it's a hardware or software thing, though.

Probably more of a "it's not standard" thing. Developers likely don't bother because not everyone will own a controller with back paddles, and it will take a lot of effort to account for that.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Probably more of a "it's not standard" thing. Developers likely don't bother because not everyone will own a controller with back paddles, and it will take a lot of effort to account for that.

Will it?
Granted, I have no idea how difficult it is to code/include the option. :p But it's "just" two more buttons to account for. Make the game recognize the controller and bam, there's either back buttons or not. :D 

Edited by drahkon

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Will it?
Granted, I have no idea how difficult it is to code/include the option. :p But it's "just" two more buttons to account for. Make the game recognize the controller and bam, there's either back buttons or not. :D 

Yeah, but then you have to apply functions to those back buttons that won't screw over people without access to them. Too much hassle balancing that when it's not strictly required. Most of them can't be bothered to implement gyro aiming, so I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Glen-i

45 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I don't agree. If back paddles become a more standardised thing, I'd want them to completely replace the clicking sticks.

They're uncomfortable, hard to utilise in hectic scenarios, and are likely the main reason why "stick drift" has become a lot more prominent recently. They suck.

GameCube/Wii had the best control sticks, and it's a shame I have to deal with these flimsy things Switch has. I don't dare play Smash without a GC controller, far too risky.

I'm not a fan of using the clicking sticks for running. A lot of games will have that, where you have to press L3 to run, as opposed to your character walking normally. I don't really like it and it does feel like I'm having to push through the controller, which can't be great for the stick quality in the long term.

I like your idea of the paddle/button at the back used as a replacement run button. I've always thought it made sense to have an analogue trigger for this, so you can get different degrees of running. There's a different between walk, light jog, a moderate run, and a sprint. Most games don't have this and either have an all or nothing, which doesn't really make sense.

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, but then you have to apply functions to those back buttons that won't screw over people without access to them. Too much hassle balancing that when it's not strictly required.

Ah yeah, didn't think about balancing issues.

But I say: FUCK 'EM. :p 

PlayStation has embraced acquired Savage Game Studios, a mobile game developer. 

The main bits from the blog:

Today, we announced that we have entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Savage Game Studios, a hugely talented team of creatives with many years of experience making some of the most popular mobile games enjoyed by players around the world. They were founded a few years ago with the goal of fearlessly exploring bold new ideas. We share their tireless ambition to innovate, along with a continued drive to expand our audience and bring PlayStation to more people than ever before, making them a perfect fit to join PlayStation Studios.

Our mobile gaming efforts will be similarly additive, providing more ways for more people to engage with our content, and striving to reach new audiences unfamiliar with PlayStation and our games.  Savage Game Studios is joining a newly created PlayStation Studios Mobile Division, which will operate independently from our console development and focus on innovative, on-the-go experiences based on new and existing PlayStation IP.

Edited by Julius

According to The Snitch's Discord channel's upcoming events, a PlayStation Showcase will be aired at 21:00 BST on 8th September (so, next Thursday). 

This would be in line with the timing of last year's Showcase, which took place at the same time and which also took place on the second Thursday of September. If it's anything like last year's event (which took place on the 9th and was announced on the 2nd), I have to imagine we'll get an announcement this Thursday. 

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

kinda feels like E3 again. 

Nah, this is just a SoP not a huge showcase :p No big hitters/1st party games will be shown. 

I do wonder, if/when PlayStation will have its big showcase. 

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nah, this is just a SoP not a huge showcase :p 

Yeah but it's on at a stupid time for us EU people. Granted, it's not at 2am but it's close enough. :p 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah but it's on at a stupid time for us EU people. Granted, it's not at 2am but it's close enough. :p 

:laughing: True.

Not sure if I'll tune in. Might want to turn off everything after Bayern's loss against Barca tonight :blank: 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I doubt i'll watch it live either. Not much that I can think of that would get me hyped if I'm honest.

Indeed.
It's "just" a 3rd party + PSVR2 thingy. Not bad by all means and I am interested in new announcements, but not stay-up-late-interested :p 

Sony are itching for a fight with the Ninty Direct it seems!

I’m up for a belated E3 today! :hehe:

Though sadly I can’t watch either event live, so I’ll just have to watch them when I get home tonight instead :heh:

Edited by Dcubed

With Octopath Traveller II heading to PlayStation, many are speculating that the original game may get a port and be announced at the State of Play. 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

With Octopath Traveller II heading to PlayStation, many are speculating that the original game may get a port and be announced at the State of Play. 

Hopefully. Always been interested in it and it's weird to jump into the second game first :p 

12 hours ago, drahkon said:

Might want to turn off everything after Bayern's loss against Barca tonight :blank: 

I take it you'll be watching it now? :D 

Meh. Shoddy SOP overall. Very happy with another Yakuza game heading west but the rest of the show did nothing for me. I just can't get excited about God of War Ragnarök.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I take it you'll be watching it now? :D 

Indeed. :D 

Good SoP. Delivered exactly what was promised (and a bit more with GoW: Ragnarok).

Like A Dragon: Ishin!!! I don't know what it is in the Yakuza world, but it seems fun.
Definitely interested in Team Ninja's project, Syn Duality and Stellar Blade.

And that GoW: Ragnarok trailer :o I think it's going to be a pretty decent game.

Overall, great day for announcements. We're feasting in the next months and 2023 looks ridiculously stacked already. :) 

Edited by drahkon

Watched the State of Play and some reactions last night while feeling worse for wear, and I thought it was pretty solid...just short. Really short, with some really weird cuts. Like, let the 10/10 Ragnarok trailer linger for just a sec, where are you off in a rush to guys? Seriously! But pleasantly, seemingly TGS-focused with the number of Japanese developed games shown off, so a few games I'll be interested in. 

• Like A Dragon: Ishin - I'm never catching up on these games, huh? Well...I can't complain, inject them all into my veins :p obviously we've had the bunch of RGG announcements today too which has cemented 'Like A Dragon' as the branding in the West moving forwards for these games over Yakuza, but for this particular game I think it just made sense from a branding perspective to help clearly separate searches for this remake and the original Ishin (EDIT: apparently also been a licensing issue for SEGA for a while having the 'Yakuza' branding? Which makes sense, I mean that'd be like calling a western gangster game series Mafi–...oh. Plus I suppose it makes sense if the games are centred less around the Yakuza these days. Kinda.). Looks spectacular, can't wait for more dumb and dramatic RGG fun, especially seeing as at the surface this looks even sillier than normal. Which is really saying something. 
  • PlayStation Stars - okay not a game I'm interested in but I need to comment on it: groan. There was something special about looking at these trophy-like items in Astro's Playroom, but here...urgh. They didn't even really explain it and it's rolling out in Asia by the end of the month? Probably be binned in a couple of years ::shrug:
  • Stellar Blade - looked like NiER drenched deep in anime BS before, continues to look like NiER drenched deep in anime BS now. I have half an eye on it. Also, kudos to them for toning it down on the ass shots this time around, as the initial reveal of the game was very in-your-face. 
  • Rise of the Ronin - the Samuraissance continues. I'm in. But 2024?! Probably help tide me over to the Ghost of Tsushima sequel I guess!
  • God of War Ragnarok - inject it into my veins yesterday, what a trailer! Hell, even the controller is growing on me the more I look at it. Must...resist... :p

The gutting thing for me was not getting to see Ben Moore's reactions to this or the Nintendo Direct, or anything going on at TGS. Dude was probably freaking out :cry:

8/10. Wish it was a Showcase proper, though. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2