NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Oh Flinky, you innocent little child.
You should play all of them. And you will love them.

im-not-that-innocent-britney-spears.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The price of the PS5 is going up in select markets, to reflect the current global economic turmoil:

The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are no doubt experiencing. We’re seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries. Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada. There will be no price increase in the United States. 

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.* 

Europe

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99

PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99

UK

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99

PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99

Yikes. Fuck off.

PsBlog

Edit: @Julius FUCK OFF :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Sorry not sorry, @drahkon :p

It's a weird one. On the one hand, Sony's fiduciary duty is to it's shareholders above all else, and it needs to be seen reacting in some way to the rising material costs brought about by components shortages, the weakening of currencies worldwide amidst the current global economic turmoil, and so on. 

But on the other hand...first party games have been bumped up in RRP drastically already this gen to £70 / €80, much higher than it is already in the US comparatively at $70 (even today that's still, what, only £60?). I don't think I've seen a PS5 on sale outside of the Horizon bundle they came out with for months now, so what, is that bundle still going to be the only option but be sold at £530 or whatever now? 

It's a situation which sucks all around. Purely taken as a business decision, it makes sense, but you can't take these things in a vacuum: there's a gross level of greed to this move in offsetting things to the customer, especially two years into the gen. At the very least I think the smart and safest customer-facing approach would have been to at least bundle in 3 months of PS+ Premium (that way you get people subscribed to the service and kind of offset the price rise for them by giving them access to a bunch of games). 

::shrug:

• Thanks 1

Yup, it's not something you can/should look at in a vacuum, as you said.
Surely they had their reasons and it does make sense given the economic situation, but part of me also thinks that they could've lived just fine without increasing the RRP.

They gonna get a huge shitstorm either way. This time, they probably won't revert the decision, though. 

We'll see in the coming months whether it'll backfire when it comes to sales numbers. I'm very curious.

• Like 1

What's the availability like these days? Because I got one at launch I never really kept up with it.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

What's the availability like these days? Because I got one at launch I never really kept up with it.

From what I've seen its been a lot better since the Horizon Forbidden West bundle launched earlier this year, I've rarely seen them available without it, though I've seen a lot more availability for the disc edition than I have the digital edition. A little search around shows that it's available at both Argos and ShopTo to buy now, so it's definitely better than it was! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

From what I've seen its been a lot better since the Horizon Forbidden West bundle launched earlier this year, I've rarely seen them available without it, though I've seen a lot more availability for the disc edition than I have the digital edition. A little search around shows that it's available at both Argos and ShopTo to buy now, so it's definitely better than it was! 

Same in Germany.

Stock becomes available regularly but sells out quickly, too.

• Like 1

Well… err… this is a move alright.  There’s a million jokes I could make, but I’ll refrain for now.

Very interesting that Xbox Series X is now cheaper than PS5.  I have a feeling that Microsoft won’t be joining Sony in this price hike, so they’re gonna have a nice advantage going into this Xmas season.  Will be interesting to see what happens…

Edited by Dcubed

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Sony haven't been that consumer friendly in a while. 

The fact is, due to the energy crisis, EVERYTHING is going up in price and its up to companies to decide whether they should eat the costs or pass them on to the consumer. Sadly, Sony has done the latter.

To be honest I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference. People are already struggling to get by and that's before the price of energy skyrockets in October and so I can't see many consoles being sold regardless of the price change. If someone has £450 spare to buy a PS5 then another £30 isn't going to bother them.

Lol that is an absolute piss take. Not only can you still not buy one easily, there's still (FOR ME) no real reason to own one unless you want a better controller. 

I keep seeing Facebook adverts saying people can go into a queue to buy one and the comments always make me laugh. Can't wait to read them now after this news. :D

Edited by Aneres11

It'll be interesting to see if this happens with anything else. We already know about the Quest 2's price going up so it's possible more companies will feel the need, especially now that they won't have to be the first.

Like HoT says, I doubt it will make a difference. The cost of living crisis means that few people are going to have spare money to spend on luxuries like consoles. The people who can afford them won't be be put off by a rise of £30.

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Well… err… this is a move alright.  There’s a million jokes I could make, but I’ll refrain for now.

Very interesting that Xbox Series X is now cheaper than PS5.  I have a feeling that Microsoft won’t be joining Sony in this price hike, so they’re gonna have a nice advantage going into this Xmas season.  Will be interesting to see what happens…

Yeah pretty sure they won't follow suit. Their plan is to get the systems into homes, sell Game Pass subscriptions on the cheap and then price hike down the road. With the PS5 selling out much quicker Sony are in a better position to do it too.

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, I've just seen that it's been confirmed that Xbox won't be bumping up their prices, and they seriously have no reason to.

As has already been mentioned, they've got a subscription service that they're built around these days which is very different to the razor and blade strategy still at the forefront of PlayStation's (and Nintendo's) business plans, in particular with the Digital Edition PS5. 

There's also just the fact of the matter that PlayStation makes up much more of Sony's revenues than Xbox does Microsoft's for the time being. Personally I don't think it justifies the change from a consumer perspective, but in the boardroom, the loss being made on the Digital Edition and the profit being made on the Disc Edition would have been a calculated move; now they easily, I think, could justify not bumping up the prices considering the price bumps elsewhere in their own gaming ecosystem (the game price rise outside of the US, the increasing transition to digital sales, and so on), but if they take the stance that they need to make a profit on the Disc Edition PS5 (which they wouldn't, but well, got to impress those shareholders I guess for Jim Ryan to get that Golden Parachute when he eventually walks), then yeah, it makes sense, as a business. 

Again, it just shows where their priorities lie these days, because this is a move to stay onside with shareholders over customers at the end of the day. I don't think it'll hurt them in the long run, and maybe I'm being naïve here, but I seriously don't think this would have happened under their previous leadership. 

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The fact is, due to the energy crisis, EVERYTHING is going up in price and its up to companies to decide whether they should eat the costs or pass them on to the consumer. Sadly, Sony has done the latter.

To be honest I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference. People are already struggling to get by and that's before the price of energy skyrockets in October and so I can't see many consoles being sold regardless of the price change. If someone has £450 spare to buy a PS5 then another £30 isn't going to bother them.

Yep, had a fun reality check earlier this month when re-upping my energy bill where fixing my bill put my monthly energy bill up by 5x. The only way is...down, I guess. Woo England. Woo.

I will say though, even with that crazy shift (which is stupid), it was the bumping up the prices of the PS5 which made me finally concede:

screwed-we-are-screwed.gif

I totally agree though, I don't think it makes much of a difference outside of the gaming bubble where we're all going to point at this and go "well, damn, that is certainly a move to make", if anything depending on the coverage the price bump gets I could see some parents trying to pull the trigger now ahead of Christmas if they can just because it'll be a little cheaper to do so (not because it's a smart thing to do, but we just seem like the type of country with the kind of people who would do that). 

Got to imagine it's why they stayed quiet on the DualSense Edge and PSVR2 pricing for now though, which is probably the smart move. 

1 minute ago, Julius said:

screwed-we-are-screwed.gif

To quote Muse from their upcoming new album Will of the People:

Aahhhh
We are getting fucked
Aahhhh
We are getting fucked

Hey, hey, hey, fuck off
Hey, hey, hey, stockpile
Hey, hey, hey, fuck off

Hey, hey, we are getting fucking fucked

Song is called We are fucking fucked, in case you wanna give it a listen tomorrow :p 

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

but I seriously don't think this would have happened under their previous leadership. 

Given that this decision most likely came from higher ups at Sony, I doubt a different leadership would've changed anything. Yes, Jim Ryan sucks but I'm pretty sure this is not his fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Yep, had a fun reality check earlier this month when re-upping my energy bill where fixing my bill put my monthly energy bill up by 5x. The only way is...down, I guess. Woo England. Woo.

It would be a great irony if we were to set fire to all of the execs of these heating/gas/electricity corporations and used them to keep us warm in the winter.

• Haha 3

To quote Muse from their upcoming new album Will of the People:

Song is called We are fucking fucked, in case you wanna give it a listen tomorrow :p 

Every time I hear something new about Muse they always go up in my estimations :D will need to give it a listen! 

Given that this decision most likely came from higher ups at Sony, I doubt a different leadership would've changed anything. Yes, Jim Ryan sucks but I'm pretty sure this is not his fault.

Yeah, you're probably right, I probably exaggerated a little there. 

So to rephrase it:

With the old leadership I think I'd be confident in saying, 100%, they fought tooth and nail against such a decision but it was passed down to them and there wasn't much they could do.

With Jim Ryan I think there is a chance - however small - that this was his idea. It's just the vibe he gives off :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It would be a great irony if we were to set fire to all of the execs of these heating/gas/electricity corporations and used them to keep us warm in the winter.

With the £30 difference printed out at the local ATM and used as tinder, I like your thinking :D

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Every time I hear something new about Muse they always go up in my estimations :D will need to give it a listen! 

DO IT.

They're corny, cheesy, weird but they make damn good music.

original.gif

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

So to rephrase it:

With the old leadership I think I'd be confident in saying, 100%, they fought tooth and nail against such a decision but it was passed down to them and there wasn't much they could do.

With Jim Ryan I think there is a chance - however small - that this was his idea. It's just the vibe he gives off :laughing:

I can live with that rephrasing :p 

I think the most offensive thing is that everyone gets a price increase... except for the US.

There's no way to spin that in a way to look good.

Detailed info on DualSense Edge

My favs:

Untitled.jpg

Back buttons truly are a game-changer. Can't wait to finally have them on a dedicated PS5 controller. 
My CoD:MWII layout will probably be: Right back button for crouching/sliding, left back button either for jumping or tactical grenades. :D 

I do wonder, though, if it's going to be the usual "mimicking of existing buttons/inputs" or if games can actually utilize the buttons for independent inputs. I hope it's the latter.

1.jpg

On-controller user interface will come in handy. I always struggle with my mates in party chat who can be extremely loud at times :laughing: Right now, balancing their volume is a bit of a hassle and not viable during intense gaming moments.

Hope you can adjust stick sensitivity and dead zones for each stick individually.

Proper exited for the new controller :) 

I estimated a 150€ price, but since yesterday's news I'll guess it'll be a lot more...

35 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I do wonder, though, if it's going to be the usual "mimicking of existing buttons/inputs" or if games can actually utilize the buttons for independent inputs. I hope it's the latter.

I don't agree. If back paddles become a more standardised thing, I'd want them to completely replace the clicking sticks.

They're uncomfortable, hard to utilise in hectic scenarios, and are likely the main reason why "stick drift" has become a lot more prominent recently. They suck.

GameCube/Wii had the best control sticks, and it's a shame I have to deal with these flimsy things Switch has. I don't dare play Smash without a GC controller, far too risky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

They're uncomfortable, hard to utilise in hectic scenarios

Never had that experience, to be honest. With any controller that has L3/R3 inputs. 

I just want back buttons to be used independently of all the other buttons. I've had one controller with those and you could only map existing inputs to them. Not sure if it's a hardware or software thing, though.

Edited by drahkon