NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

5 hours ago, Julius said:

I wasn't around back then, so maybe I'm missing the mark here, but I think it has more of an impact now with fewer active members because it's incredibly disruptive to the flow of discussion. With more active members, people might be hurling insults at each other over different opinions, but I imagine it felt less like certain individuals or console owners were being called out. 

There's no back-and-forth really being had which warrants fanboyism here in a way it might have before. I'm all for people having their own opinions, but it's when it becomes a case of people jumping on a bandwagon of negativity that it just kills the mood for many to post, myself included. Let's be honest, it's normally a case of "You're wrong and I'm right" and just not budging, or a driveby post which doesn't really do much to further discussion but either halts it or completely redirects it towards negativity. It's not even passive aggression at this point, because it's plain for all to see which members in which threads behave this way. 

In this thread and other PlayStation threads, it happens time and time again where the conversation gets derailed. The DualSense Edge is announced seven years after the Xbox Elite line? Who gives a damn? We can all see that it's going for a similar premium controller market, but just because Xbox did it first we need to draw a comparison and say...what, exactly? That they're late? Again: who gives a damn? Some of us are excited that we're getting a premium controller line, that's where it starts and ends from our perspective, no comparison is really needed. 

I get that this is mainly a Nintendo forum, but seriously, you'd think it was an Xbox one. The irony there is that I don't think I've really seen many Xbox owners in the PlayStation threads disrupting things, and all I ever really see from PlayStation owners is what they'd like to see from Xbox and hoping that they can get to a point again where they want to invest (myself included). More perplexing is that Nintendo is in a great place now too - all three console manufacturers are, and all doing their own thing to boot! - so I don't get where the frustration comes from which is pushing some to be so negative and suck the life out of so many threads. 

I find it pretty exhausting, to be honest, and I'm not the only one; like @drahkon mentions, there's less activity from some members here (I'd include myself in that) as a result of what almost always happens in these threads. It's 2022, and we're all adults, so what happens when we get tired of posting somewhere to avoid the negativity? We post less and sometimes stop posting altogether. 

It's a real shame. 

clapping-dwayne-johnson.gif

It's pretty much why a few of us have resorted to using the PM feature rather than talking on the actual forums. Sad that it had to come to this but it's the only way to have a decent conversation, especially when it comes to anything PS related. Come join us. :D 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

clapping-dwayne-johnson.gif

It's pretty much why a few of us have resorted to using the PM feature rather than talking on the actual forums. Sad that it had to come to this but it's the only way to have a decent conversation, especially when it comes to anything PS related. Come join us. :D 

Noooooo.

Use the threads! And then, like, sidestep the posts you don't want to read. 

From visiting other larger forums over the years, that's what tends to happen anyway. You just reply to comments that you want to reply to.

Also, here's a paddle.

Carbon Fibre Split Kayak Paddle 

49 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Blows my mind a little that we don't have multiple size options for controllers, or at least a bit more variation in this area. Seems like this would be a sensible thing to have, since you have a huge variety of users using the same system, e.g. younger children, teenagers, adults, people with gigantic hands, T-Rexes, etc. A standard size, which is the one shipped, and then the option to buy additional smaller or larger controllers.

I mean, nothing like this size:Suta OPEN commissions on Twitter: "PS4 players be like: I can finally chat  in game! :) https://t.co/LIfl7oZaIx" / Twitter

Also, everything should come with additional paddles. EVERYTHING.

I had a chance to buy that controller a few years ago and still regret not doing it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I had a chance to buy that controller a few years ago and still regret not doing it.

I've wanted to try it and just...hold it. Just to see what it feels like. Maybe pretend it's an accordion.

This, and that Steel Battalion controller, which had about 3 million buttons. :laughing: 

44 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Nobody would have said a thing, I'm betting.

Gamepass is amazing and you are constantly poking holes in it, as well as almost anything Xbox ever does. Your anti-Microsoft bias or @drahkon's OTT Playstation bias and constant comments about how he "forgot we aren't allowed to criticise Nintendo on here" or that "Mario 3D World is the worst 3D Platformer in existance" or that "Nintendo don't make good Zelda games" are as glaring as anything. So I'd suggest you both look at yourselves a bit more before accusing others.

Again, it's a really nifty controller, and it's great to see such cool tech being released, but 'Incredible and game-changing'? It's long overdue.

Edited by Ronnie

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I've wanted to try it and just...hold it. Just to see what it feels like. Maybe pretend it's an accordion.

This, and that Steel Battalion controller, which had about 3 million buttons. :laughing: 

Yeah @Goafer has/had the Steel Battalion controller and it was pretty awesome. Think it was just a controller that needed to work with a lot more games as pulling it for just the one was a bit much given the size.

Yeah, I also had the Steel Battalion controller. The thing was an absolute monster. Game was a bit rubbish though. I think it goes for a pretty penny these days. I should have hung on to it but it took up too much room.

I was about to say I missed dumb stuff like that but then it hit me that the plastic instrument phase was just that and that got ridiculous by the end.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I was about to say I missed dumb stuff like that but then it hit me that the plastic instrument phase was just that and that got ridiculous by the end.

There are probably landfills that are full to the brim with that stuff. Either that or they are all buried in the desert alongside the numerous copies of the Atari ET game. :D 

• Haha 2

I've been tempted over the years to get a steering wheel to play a racing sim, but I always think that the idea of it will be better than the reality. There's that, and I don't really think that there are that many appealing racing games at the moment, or at least ones that instantly stand out. GT being the exception.

I bought a racing wheel for cheap during the N64 days and...it was alright. I remember that feeling of...ok, now where the fuck am I going to store this?!

• Haha 1

Storage is always the issue isn't it. I've got a relatively nice Hotas for my PC but nowhere easily accessible to store it so it goes in the wardrobe and never comes back out again.

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I've been tempted over the years to get a steering wheel to play a racing sim, but I always think that the idea of it will be better than the reality. There's that, and I don't really think that there are that many appealing racing games at the moment, or at least ones that instantly stand out. GT being the exception.

Yeah, thinking about it there aren't many kicking about these days. It was a genre that really took off during the PS2 era and carried on with the 360/PS3 but now it seems to have died a death. Xbox has Forza and Sony has GT but there's not much else kicking about that is high profile. Sony should never have killed Driveclub or the studio that made it. Amazing game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Storage is always the issue isn't it. I've got a relatively nice Hotas for my PC but nowhere easily accessible to store it so it goes in the wardrobe and never comes back out again.

There's that, and there's also the laziness factor. Most of the time, I just want to sit back with a controller and enjoy something with my feet up. Or, at the very worst, sat upright and leaning forward. No point complicating it. :laughing:

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, thinking about it there aren't many kicking about these days. It was a genre that really took off during the PS2 era and carried on with the 360/PS3 but now it seems to have died a death. Xbox has Forza and Sony has GT but there's not much else kicking about that is high profile. Sony should never have killed Driveclub or the studio that made it. Amazing game.

I think the PC still does quite well for them. Games like Project Cars have come to consoles but are still bigger on PC. iRacing is big as well.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Oh man, I was one of the 6 people that bought DriveClub. I loved it!

Not sure why there aren't so many these days, as it felt like we were inundated with them in the past. They also seem to have gotten super serious. I keep getting tempted by GT, but keep hearing stuff about how much of a commitment it is, and how it requires a lot of serious hours to get good at it. Not sure if I can be arsed with that.

DriveClub had exactly the right sort of thing I was looking for. It was quite lowkey, but you could chuck it on, have a few fun races, then do something else. Pretty as hell to look at, too. :love:

42 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Again, it's a really nifty controller, and it's great to see such cool tech being released, but 'Incredible and game-changing'? It's long overdue.

Quit it with shutting down peoples opinions.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Oh man, I was one of the 6 people that bought DriveClub. I loved it!

Not sure why there aren't so many these days, as it felt like we were inundated with them in the past. They also seem to have gotten super serious. I keep getting tempted by GT, but keep hearing stuff about how much of a commitment it is, and how it requires a lot of serious hours to get good at it. Not sure if I can be arsed with that.

DriveClub had exactly the right sort of thing I was looking for. It was quite lowkey, but you could chuck it on, have a few fun races, then do something else. Pretty as hell to look at, too. :love:

Yeah, I'm the same with GT. I keep getting tempted by it ( was £35 in Argos the other week ) but I do tend to favour the more arcadey style driving games. It's why I fell in love with Forza. If I had an Xbox I would have been all over the latest entries.

I still need to play Burnout Paradise at some point. It's crazy that all these years after it's release, as well as the remastered release, I've still yet to play it.

I enjoyed Burnout Paradise at the time but never really managed to shake the feeling that I would have preferred a more linear racing game like it's predecessors.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I still need to play Burnout Paradise at some point. It's crazy that all these years after it's release, as well as the remastered release, I've still yet to play it.

FIX THIS RIGHT NOW. 

Turn off your PS4 and...no wait, turn on your PS4 and play it.

:p 

• Haha 1

Just now, drahkon said:

FIX THIS RIGHT NOW. 

Turn off your PS4 and...no wait, turn on your PS4 and play it.

:p 

I don't think I own it.

Add me to the crew who hasn't played Burnout Paradise either.

Funny enough, I think the only Burnout I have played is about 10 mins of the first game, over a mate's house. 

Gamepass is amazing and you are constantly poking holes in it, as well as almost anything Xbox ever does. Your anti-Microsoft bias or [mention=2521]drahkon[/mention]'s OTT Playstation bias and constant comments about how he "forgot we aren't allowed to criticise Nintendo on here" or that "Mario 3D World is the worst 3D Platformer in existance" or that "Nintendo don't make good Zelda games" are as glaring as anything. So I'd suggest you both look at yourselves a bit more before accusing others.
I just find this whole line of reasoning really strange. Like you've totally been a jerk here about a pretty positive announcement, and instead of acknowledging it you're basically resorting to whataboutery.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:
2 hours ago, Ronnie said:
Gamepass is amazing and you are constantly poking holes in it, as well as almost anything Xbox ever does. Your anti-Microsoft bias or [mention=2521]drahkon[/mention]'s OTT Playstation bias and constant comments about how he "forgot we aren't allowed to criticise Nintendo on here" or that "Mario 3D World is the worst 3D Platformer in existance" or that "Nintendo don't make good Zelda games" are as glaring as anything. So I'd suggest you both look at yourselves a bit more before accusing others.

I just find this whole line of reasoning really strange. Like you've totally been a jerk here about a pretty positive announcement, and instead of acknowledging it you're basically resorting to whataboutery.

Because I'm being accused of being the reason this forum is apparently dying, so forgive me for pointing out when others such as yourself dismiss literally anything Xbox does that's positive, or someone else I've already mentioned often trolls the Nintendo board throwing console-war grenades, then acts all outraged when someone says Microsoft did what Playstation is doing now, seven years ago.

It looks like a great controller, but to suggest it's going to change the industry, I very much disagree.

Edited by Ronnie

21 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Add me to the crew who hasn't played Burnout Paradise either.

Funny enough, I think the only Burnout I have played is about 10 mins of the first game, over a mate's house. 

Oh Flinky, you innocent little child.
You should play all of them. And you will love them.

• Like 1