NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

24 minutes ago, Julius said:

Apocalypse Now and also a clear inspiration in games for Spec Ops: The Line

Wait, Apocalypse Now isn't just your standard shooty-shooty-bang-bang war movie? 
I gotta watch this...

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Wait, Apocalypse Now isn't just your standard shooty-shooty-bang-bang war movie? 
I gotta watch this...

No, it's not; and yes, you do! :p caps off what l think is arguably one of the strongest decades in an individual director's filmography (Coppola also directed The Godfather, The Godfather Part II and The Conversation in the 70's). 

If you do get around to watching it I'd also recommend checking out Heart of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, as it does a great job of showing just how much of a challenge it was to film. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like Worms World Party and Worms Armageddon have also been listed now. 

Don't worry guys, at 340 games to get through with 5 games a day we should have a full list around the start of July :p

• Haha 1

I'd never heard of Devil Dice until recently (a Did You Know Gaming video i assume) and it looks interesting. Like a puzzle platformer thing from what I could tell where you stood on top of a die and it rotated in the direction you were facing but you could only move to the next die of the numbers lined up. Interesting concept. 

Bit of an update on the messy situation with PS+ stacking being blocked and the conversion rate to the new tiers:

PS5 sales are continuing to slip off the back of supply constraints, selling 11.5 million hardware units of the PS5 vs their initial target of 14.8 million hardware units for the fiscal year. 

Sony Group Corp. said it would buy back as much as 200 billion yen ($1.5 billion) of its own shares after reporting earnings that missed analyst estimates.

The entertainment group reported operating profit of 138.6 billion yen in the fourth fiscal quarter, falling short of consensus analyst estimates of 148.5 billion yen. The company forecast operating income of 1.16 trillion for the current fiscal year, also shy of estimates of 1.2 trillion yen.

Sony said it would repurchase as many as 25 million shares over the next year, 2.02% of the total outstanding. It also announced a 200 billion yen buyback program a year earlier as it reported results. The company's shares have dropped 27% so far this year, roughly in line with the tech-heavy Nasdaq index.

[...]

Sony's flagship PlayStation 5 game console has suffered supply constraints from component shortages and logistics disruptions. The company has said unfilled demand is strong enough to eventually bring the PS5 back on track to be its fastest-selling console generation, but data from outside firms such as U.S.-based NPD Group Inc. show Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox hardware began to outpace PlayStation in recent months.

Sony will roll out new online services for PlayStation users in June, including an option similar to Xbox's Game Pass subscription offering.

Been rough for the PS5 since its launch. That's what, still shy of 20 million units in its lifetime now - 19.3 million hardware units I think? Wild, but clearly massively constrained by the components shortage. 

I'm curious now just how this will impact PlayStation's planned slate of PS5 (Console) exclusive releases, and I wouldn't be surprised (or really blame them) if titles like Spider-Man 2 ended up being releasing across generations; they need to cover their lost ground somewhere, and I think that's probably the most reasonable way to do so.  

Edited by Julius

Yeah, it's been very rough for them. Doesn't help that there's very little in terms of true exclusives. I can see why they wouldn't want to release them though. I mean what's the point when people can't even get the console to play them on. Whole thing has been a mess. Not that they could have predicted such shortages, mind you. Scary thing is some analysts are expecting parts shortages to last until 2024.

Honestly, given the price I can get for it, I've been contemplating just selling my PS5 and continuing to use my PS4 Pro, which still gets more use than my PS5.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it's been very rough for them. Doesn't help that there's very little in terms of true exclusives. I can see why they wouldn't want to release them though. I mean what's the point when people can't even get the console to play them on. Whole thing has been a mess. Not that they could have predicted such shortages, mind you. Scary thing is some analysts are expecting parts shortages to last until 2024.

I can never feel too bad for corpheads, but I have to imagine they've been a bit shellshocked having to time and again reduce their sales projections for the PS5. I mean, their very first projection for the PS5 as that it would ship 15 million units from launch through to 31st March 2021, and here we are with the results for the FY ending 31st March 2022, and it's only at 19.3 million units sold. It's impressive given the components shortage, but it's pretty crazy that this time last year their projection was to have 50 million PS5 consoles shipped by 31st March 2023, compared to 40 million for the PS4 in a similar timeframe, and again, here we are with it tracking at - potentially under - the PS4's shipments. 

It definitely screws up their plans for exclusives, like you say it's a bit of give and take right now between having PS5 console exclusives and actually just getting these things out in the wild. With the components shortage I do wonder how it will impact their potential other SKU's - I feel like we'd normally be expecting a Slim right around now, but could be off in saying that? - but yeah, it's messy, and it ain't pretty to watch. Still crazy to me that they waited as long as they did to start selling plates, I feel like they need to grab what they can for the time being and run! 

And, I mean, it's no real reason to fret, but it does come at a time where I think the Series S being in stock consistently and Game Pass looking a better and better deal for an average player does swing some of that momentum away from PlayStation, even though they'd probably be destroying sales records otherwise. 

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, given the price I can get for it, I've been contemplating just selling my PS5 and continuing to use my PS4 Pro, which still gets more use than my PS5.

Part of me wants to say you're crazy - and, well, I still just might, just because if you do that it could be a bit of a hassle tracking a PS5 down for a while :p - but I completely get where you're coming from. At the moment within the next 12 months what is there in terms of true next-gen PS5 exclusives? Maybe I'm forgetting something but I think it's just Final Fantasy XVI (which, you know, I still feel could work its way onto the PS4) and the long rumoured The Last of Us remake (which surely has to be next-gen exclusive, but then is it being bundled with Factions, and if so aren't they completely limiting their player pool by having it be next-gen exclusive?). 

At the moment my PS5 is a very expensive blu-ray player and a way to get a boosted PS4 experience, it's very bizarre, but I do have a lot of PS4 games on my shelf anyways so it's tough to complain ::shrug: 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You'd be better off selling your PS4 Pro like I did. I managed to sell it on eBay for 270 quid when I bought my PS5, thereby meaning I effectively paid 180 quid for a PS5 without losing any function. Being able to play games at better framerate/resolution as well as pretty much silently is worth it for me, as well as getting to play the occasional games like Returnal and Demon's Souls.

Given the chip shortages I can't see the price of PS5s coming down meaningfully for a long time, so if you did want to pick up another down the line it'd likely still be 450 quid.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah, but you can sell them for £475+. I would be making a profit. :D 

As for selling my Pro, it has too many TV apps on it that I use. I don't think all of them are on the PS5 yet. Plus, I much prefer the PS4 interface over the one on PS5.

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As for selling my Pro, it has too many TV apps on it that I use. I don't think all of them are on the PS5 yet. Plus, I much prefer the PS4 interface over the one on PS5.

Don't forget folders and themes! 

Stares blankly at PS5

1fec8be8-9b2a-4aef-8526-5207c7409597_tex

• Haha 1

It baffles me that all 3 console makers are terrible when it comes to bringing UI features forward from their previous console. Why do they have to start from scratch instead of building on what they had? 

Hmm i wonder how much is the underlying architecture being different enough that they figure "may as well start from scratch". Or maybe they know how much some people just moan that the DualShock controller "never changes" and figure people would do the same. 

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It baffles me that all 3 console makers are terrible when it comes to bringing UI features forward from their previous console. Why do they have to start from scratch instead of building on what they had? 

Xbox Series uses exactly the same OS as the Xbox One; all of that console's features were carried forward 100% intact from day 1.  First time that's ever really happened since consoles started getting proper OS' built-in, and it's great! More of this please, no need to reinvent the OS wheel each time! (the fact that it took Switch almost 6 years to get folders is a joke!)

As for selling your PS5 HoT? I'd say that you're probably better off just selling the PS4 Pro at this point and using the built-in video streaming apps on your TV (or whatever "smart" device you have hooked up) instead.  Chances are that they're much better than the apps on these consoles anyway.

Edited by Dcubed

Given how I disliked the Xbox One's UI, that's the one time I would have liked them to reinvent the wheel! Bring back the 360 blades!

I wouldn't even class what the Switch got as folders. It's some kind of weird middle ground.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

As for selling your PS5 HoT? I'd say that you're probably better off just selling the PS4 Pro at this point and using the built-in video streaming apps on your TV (or whatever "smart" device you have hooked up) instead.  Chances are that they're much better than the apps on these consoles anyway.

I can definitely recommend a Chromecast for that. Really good app support and generally much easier/quicker to search for and select content than when using a controller.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/universal-entertainment-trademarks-shadow-hearts-in-japan

I wonder if this is because the games are going to be part of the PS subscription service?

Yessss! Yes!!!!! This is the series that I've always wanted to be brought back in some way. The first 2 games especially (and very much the second game) were some of my favourite games on the PS2.

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Yessss! Yes!!!!! This is the series that I've always wanted to be brought back in some way. The first 2 games especially (and very much the second game) were some of my favourite games on the PS2.

Haha. I was waiting for your reaction. I remember a few years back you spoke fondly of the series.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. I was waiting for your reaction. I remember a few years back you spoke fondly of the series.

Did you ever play them? I think they'd be your bag, especially the second game. The battle system is a lot of fun - turn based but using a timing mechanic to do moves.

5 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Did you ever play them? I think they'd be your bag, especially the second game. The battle system is a lot of fun - turn based but using a timing mechanic to do moves.

Nah, I never did. I always wanted to play all of them, as well as Koudelka. If these do hit the service then it will certainly give me a compelling reason to subscribe. Stuff like this is exactly what I want to see released.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

PS+ catalogue details are starting to drop:

Brb I'll make a thread :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1