NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Here are the results of my 2021 wrap up.

ImageImage

FKba8ZTXsAAPdee?format=jpg&name=large

The top game on the list is hilarious. Panzer Dragoon is a game that lasts around 45 mins but the developers decided to stick a platinum trophy in the game that required the player to play for 100 hours. Any time I wasn't on my PS4 I would fire the game up and leave it sitting on the menu in order to rack up the time. Reminds me of the time I plyed through Baten Kaitos and one of the cards required you to leave it in your deck for a 100 hours or so in order for it to change. My poor Gamecube got a hammering while I was at work. :D Also, i've no idea why the time is showing at 99 hours when it I obviously played for 100!

Yakuza 0 is in there due to me attempting to get the platinum. I spent a stupid amount of time doing all the sidequests but i've still yet to platinum the game. I still need to finish the game on the hardest difficulty setting and do all of the fights that feature on the main menu.

I'm happy to see Dark Souls 2 and 3 make the cut. I played them for the first time last year and platinumed them both. Fantastic games.:bowdown:

Avengers...man, this was an absolute grind to get the platinum. Lots of tedious and repetitive tasks. Happy to have it in my collection though. 

59 hours spent on my PS5. Not a bad going since I only started playing it on Christmas day. I bought it the week before Christmas but kept it for Christmas as a present to myself

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

59 hours spent on my PS5.

Which game(s)? :) 

Edit: Also...there I was, beating everybody's PlayStation stats and along comes H-o-T to crush me. :p 

Edited by drahkon

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Which game(s)? :) 

First up was Ratchet. I wanted this to be my first PS5 platinum trophy. I pretty much finished this in a single sitting on Christmas Day, with the platinum unlocking at 1:55 the following morning. 

Next was Astrobot. Absolutely adored this and I can't wait to see what the team do next. It was such a nostalgia trip.

Demon's Souls was last. It was great to finally play this game and see where it all started. Platinum was much easier compared to the Dark Souls games but I still loved it to bits.

I played Kena at the start of January but I don't think that would have counted towards to total. Amazing game that has a platinum whose difficulty rivals some of the Souls games. It was a tough challenge but a very satisfying platinum to unlock.

Returnal is sat waiting to be played (bought this when I got the console) but I set myself the challenge of playing and unlocking the platinum for each of Housemarque's PS4 games before I would allow myself to start this. I had to get through Nex Machina, Matterfall, Super Stardust and Dead Nation before I could play Returnal. It was one hell of a journey that really pushed my skills as a gamer. Nex Machina is something very, very special. I unlocked the final platinum (Dead Nation) just yesterday and so I'm now free to start whenever I want.

Oh, and I hate the Dual Sense. I knock off the adaptive triggers and vibration in any game that allows for it. Well, except Astrobot. I kept them on for that. I'm honestly thinking of buying a new PS4 controller just to use with my PS5. :D 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Oh, and I hate the Dual Sense. I knock off the adaptive triggers and vibration in any game that allows for it. Well, except Astrobot. I kept them on for that. I'm honestly thinking of buying a new PS4 controller just to use with my PS5. :D 

Would you say that’s because you don’t like the immersion or because it makes it harder sometimes as a trophy hunter?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Would you say that’s because you don’t like the immersion or because it makes it harder sometimes as a trophy hunter?

I dislike the so called immersion. When I first fired up Ratchet I honestly thought my pad was broken when the shoulder button felt stiff when firing a weapon. It then dawned on me what was going on and so I instantly knocked it off.

I briefly played through Drift 5 to unlock the platinum via save transfer and it felt awful when compared to the PS4 version that I had played through.

Stuff like this just isn't for me. I hate the joy-con vibrations and I knew I'd dislike the dual sense.

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I dislike the so called immersion. When I first fired up Ratchet I honestly thought my pad was broken when the shoulder button felt stiff when firing a weapon. It then dawned on me what was going on and so I instantly knocked it off.

I briefly played through Drift 5 to unlock the platinum via save transfer and it felt awful when compared to the PS4 version that I had played through.

Stuff like this just isn't for me. I hate the joy-con vibrations and I knew I'd dislike the dual sense.

I haven’t played too many yet where it’s heavily used. I didn’t like it in whatever shooting game I tried as like you, firing a weapon felt really stiff. Thought it was good in the Spider-man games though, subtly used for the webswinging.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I haven’t played too many yet where it’s heavily used. I didn’t like it in whatever shooting game I tried as like you, firing a weapon felt really stiff. Thought it was good in the Spider-man games though, subtly used for the webswinging.

On Drift 5 it just felt like too much, with the controller vibrating with every bump and crash. Depending on how it turns out, I may pick up GT but I'm concerned it will be the same kinda thing on that as well.

Hopefully it’s one of those things where they learn as we go through the gen what works and what doesn’t. It may be impressive but heavy use of something like this isn’t necessarily a good thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Oh, and I hate the Dual Sense

:( That's a shame. You're going to miss out on something important when playing Returnal then, if you turn the features off.

18 minutes ago, drahkon said:

:( That's a shame. You're going to miss out on something important when playing Returnal then, if you turn the features off.

It's too late. I've already knocked them off. :D 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's too late. I've already knocked them off. :D 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Surely this is a bug? You uninstall a game and the game's thumbnail/title disappears with it from the Media Gallery??

gallery.jpg

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/10/coming-up-7-new-indie-updates-and-announcements/

Hi everyone! We’ve lined up seven indie updates and new reveals that we’re excited to share with you this morning. Check in starting at 7am Pacific — every 15 minutes we’ll publish a new story here at PlayStation.Blog.

Once the festivities have ended, we’ll update this post with links to all seven updates. Please let us know what you think of each reveal in the comments!

So far:

Creating the connected world of Moss: Book II
The secrets of Animal Well, coming to PS5
Master Splinter is coming to TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, the new PlayStation Productions animation is very pretty to look at:

Not to be confused with PlayStation Studios ( Productions is focused on TV and film). 

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 12:10 AM, Julius said:

Looks like the ability to upload gameplay clips and screenshots directly from the PlayStation 5 to the PS App is finally being rolled out.

Okay, now it's finally being rolled out :p

Finally!

The end of my time spent recording my TV on Friday nights to send funny GTA clips on a group chat is nigh :D

• Haha 1

Urgh, annoying.
Really hope "essential" doesn't replace PS+ as it is now. It would make it more expensive if I'm reading this right.

Fuck subscription models. The industry is going to a place I don't like. As a kid I always said: "When I'm old, I'll still play video games", but it seems like it's getting less and less likely :( 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

More rumours about the PS+ revamp.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/02/ps5-ps4s-revamped-ps-plus-sub-allegedly-outlined-in-report

None of that sounds good at all. If true, it's very overpriced and sounds like a mess of options.

Man, I know it's been said before, but some of the moves Sony have made over the last few years have been increasingly concerning.

If this is true and they're pricing it higher than Game Pass and it's seemingly going to be messy to communicate what is distinct about each tier, I think it could easily be dead on arrival. I want to say you'll see annual packages to bring the cost down, but honestly, I could see that being the case for only Premium - three tiers with a number of subscription lengths could be a nightmare.

The idea of game trials is probably the neatest thing about the Premium tier, we'll finally be getting something comparable to demos again (though not quite the same, mind), but seriously: just make them available to all. I see what they're going for - the most hardcore gamers will buy into the highest tier, they'll be the most vocal online about these games through getting access to their trials, other people will want to join the conversation and so will buy into the higher tier, and so on - but it's just such a boardroom decision.

See you again in 2027 for the third iteration of PS Now I guess? ::shrug: I just want easy access to older games on modern consoles, damn it! 

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Fuck subscription models. The industry is going to a place I don't like. As a kid I always said: "When I'm old, I'll still play video games", but it seems like it's getting less and less likely :( 

Yep, seriously.

Game Pass, for example, is doing great, and on paper is a fantastic deal. But I think it's a lot of short-term gain coming at the cost of a lack of long-term insight:

• potential changes in game design to churn them out at a steady pace, either by making games substantially shorter or by designing them to get their hooks into you for maximum engagement (Game Pass is the Netflix of gaming, after all). There's a reason we're seeing Xbox report engagement numbers, they're absolutely tracking these things and will be learning a lot to carry forwards into the designs of their future games. 

• we've still yet to see Xbox actually consistently churn out big first party titles in the first place, so the big question for me is if they can actually match their own model in production speed and quality. 

• questions over it pushing us deeper into a hole where a digital-only future is the only future. 

And that's just a handful of the big reasons, there are plenty more. I only bring up Game Pass as a point of comparison because, let's be honest, it's the only good point of comparison for something like this right now. And by that metric, this sounds like it falls far short, overcomplicating the current offerings for online subscriptions (which shouldn't even be a thing to begin with). 

I just don't know. I'm not asking them to reprint old games, but these companies are so tone deaf to what I think people interested in older games want. Let me purchase old games and play them on my current system, damn it, even if it's digital I would much rather have that than them being locked behind a subscription. They clearly think they have some value if they're being bundled into the highest tier of the subscription model. 

I'll hold final judgement until we get an official announcement, but so far? I'm not a fan of how this appears to be shaking out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Julius said:

I just don't know. I'm not asking them to reprint old games, but these companies are so tone deaf to what I think people interested in older games want. Let me purchase old games and play them on my current system, damn it, even if it's digital I would much rather have that than them being locked behind a subscription. They clearly think they have some value if they're being bundled into the highest tier of the subscription model. 

Yup. It's annoying that Nintendo and now possibly Sony are locking their legacy games behind a subscription model. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving playing N64 games on my Switch but i'd much rather own them than rent them.

When the rumours about classic games being part of Sony's subscription service surfaced earlier in the year I was hoping I would be able to actually own them but it's looking likely that won't be the case. Also, I'm not sure why outlets are positioning this as competition to Game Pass when it seems to have more in common with Nintendo's subscription service. ::shrug: 

I agree with you about Game Pass and have been wary of the thing since it's inception. Just look at the chaos it's caused with the acquisition wars that are going on. These types of service need content and the only way to do that fast is to buy the competition. Had GP not been a thing then I imagine the race for content wouldn't be happening right now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Julius said:

But I think it's a lot of short-term gain coming at the cost of a lack of long-term insight:

The big problem for us as consumers will be: Eventually, the price will increase. And quite drastically.

We're seeing this with DAZN in German. It's still14.99€ per month which is a pretty good price for what they're offering but it'll be increased to 29.99€ which is double and there won't be anything new to justify that price hike.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Had GP not been a thing then I imagine the race for content wouldn't be happening right now.

I've been wary of saying this, especially here, but you're right. In my opinion Microsoft is the cause for all this and it's annoying. They have the spending power and appear to stop at nothing to create a monopoly. In turn forcing others to spend big money for acquisitions themselves.

• Like 1

People have been saying the price will increase on Game Pass for years now. Maybe it will, but it's such an incredible deal as is, if the price does increase, it'll be a bit less incredible.

Sony's latest PS revamp sounds pretty awful, but we'll see how it turns out in reality, I expect muddled messaging as always from them. PS+ has been in dire need of a revamp for years now.

Edited by Ronnie

Urgh, annoying.
Really hope "essential" doesn't replace PS+ as it is now. It would make it more expensive if I'm reading this right.
Fuck subscription models. The industry is going to a place I don't like. As a kid I always said: "When I'm old, I'll still play video games", but it seems like it's getting less and less likely  
No, Essential is the same price as what Plus is now. Plus already costs 10 dollars a month if you are to pay by the month, instead of annually.
  • Thanks 1