NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I kinda think that by the time the next big shift in gaming happens, I'll have enough games in my library to see me through the rest of my life so it probably won't impact me too badly.. but it'll definitely be interesting to see where things go next!

20 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I kinda think that by the time the next big shift in gaming happens, I'll have enough games in my library to see me through the rest of my life so it probably won't impact me too badly.. but it'll definitely be interesting to see where things go next!

I think I’m at that point already but…

tenor.gif?itemid=13930641

Even though I’ve downsized my PS4 collection, I’m already looking at retro stuff to replace them with. It never ends! :laughing:

• Haha 1

The PS5 hit 10 million units sold on July 18th, per GamesIndustry.biz. It managed this feat a few weeks earlier than the PS4 did, which is pretty amazing considering the issues with supply at the moment. Their report also gives some sales figures for first-party titles, so well worth a read:

Elsewhere, the M.2 SSD storage expansion update seems to be on the horizon now as it is coming as part of the next update for beta users. There's a full blog post on it here, but I'll throw the requirements in below:

Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD

Capacity: 250GB – 4TB

Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format, or double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.

Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended

Module width: 22mm width (25mm width is not supported)

Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.

These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the length.

Socket Type: Socket 3 (Key M)

Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H).

See below for full requirements.

Length

The following M.2 SSD lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles:
30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm (corresponding to the form factor type, per above).

Width
A 22mm-wide M.2 SSD module is required.
The total structure (including an added cooling structure) cannot exceed 25mm (0.984in).

Height
The total height of the M.2 SSD and its cooling structure (such as a heatsink) – whether built-in or separate – must be less than 11.25mm (0.442in).
The height must also be in the right place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board:

The size below the board must be less than 2.45mm (0.096in).

The total size above the board must be less than 8mm (0.314in).

(Note: millimeter measurements are the technical standard and are more precise than inches. We recommend double-checking that the total dimensions of M.2 SSD and heatsink products you’re considering meet the millimeter requirements before purchasing)

Both single-sided and double-sided M.2 SSD devices are supported.
M.2 SATA SSDs aren’t supported.

You should carefully review drive specifications prior to purchase and contact the vendor or manufacturer if you need further information. SIE cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.

Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s.

The majority of M.2 SSD devices with the above type numbers (M Key Type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110) and without a built-in cooling structure will fit the PS5 console’s SSD slot. However, sizes for cooling structures (like heatsinks) vary greatly. If you are not sure an M.2 SSD or cooling structure (such as a heatsink) you’re considering meets the size requirements outlined here, we recommend looking for another product option or contacting the vendor or manufacturer for more information.

This news follows an article by Finder on Seagate confirming that the first SSD to be compatible with the PS5 from them will be the FireCuda 530, with prices and SSD sizes from NAS Compares being:

• 500GB - US$140

• 1TB - US$240

• 2TB - US$490

• 4TB - US$950

Nice to finally see some news slipping out about this, hopefully it won't be too long before the update is rolled out for those waiting on it.

For me, just considering there aren't many next-gen titles at the moment that I plan to keep on my PS5 long-term anyways and I'm fairly prudent with deleting games once I complete them, I think I'm happy just using my 2TB HDD for PS4 games for the foreseeable future. 

• Thanks 1

We got a release date for Solar Ash during the Annapurna Interactive Showcase, with the game coming October 26th:

Also go the announcement of a new game from Cloisters Interactive during the showcase as well, with it coming soon.

From Cloisters Interactive, A Memoir Blue is an interactive poem about a superstar athlete and the all-encompassing love between mother and daughter. Coming soon to Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, PC, and the App Store

A unique aesthetic combining hand-drawn and 3D art brings Miriam's magical-realist journey to life, as she swims into the depths of her memories. A series of gameplay vignettes blends sacrifice and heartbreak with victory and pride as she reconnects with her inner child and deepens the love she shares with her mother.

So we went from having 4 on screen at one time to... still 4. :blank:

Really weird design, why would they put the description of the trophy all the way on the other side of the screen instead of directly underneath the title. At least you can see more than 12 characters I guess. 

So bit the bullet and got an SSD, after a lot of research I went for the WD SN850 (if it's good enough for Mark Cerny then it's good enough for me). 

This without a heatsink was £159.98 from Amazon but they let you pay it up in 5 instalments of £32 a month which eased the pain a little.  The heatsink I went for was the QIVYNSRY M.2 heatsink 2280 which I got for £10.99.

Sadly I don't have the Beta so hopefully the official software update wont be too long.  

Keep an eye on the prices as they are fluctuating wildly.  

JDjPPbPqIU4eyYoGvSSCd2V7bdB2_ZDPa_E5AAl_

Edited by Cookyman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

AnimatedGreenLcont-size_restricted.gif

FINALLY. 

One of my biggest hangups with the PS5 since launch to be honest, especially after going back to Photo Mode in Ghost of Tsushima for its DLC. 

Pretty funny that both Nintendo and Sony decide to release a major Firmware update with major new features on the same day!

Your move Microsoft! :D 

52 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

How will you know if your screenshot actually got taken now though?

I've just tested it; you hear the shutter sound that you did before when taking screenshots, you just won't see the capture icon. 

However, even if you choose leave to the icon up (the default), it now doesn't show up in your screenshot capture like it did before. 

51 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I never really take a lot of screenshots. What was annoying about it?

Every time you'd take a screenshot a screenshot capture icon would come up in the corner, and stick around for probably 5-10 seconds. Any follow-up captures you took while it was in the corner also captured the icon itself. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yet another announcement: the Midnight Black Pulse Headset is arriving next month. 

Just give us the black panels already :smile:

Every time you'd take a screenshot a screenshot capture icon would come up in the corner, and stick around for probably 5-10 seconds. Any follow-up captures you took while it was in the corner also captured the icon itself. 
Why didn't they still show the icon, but just not include it in the next screenshot?

Did they not understand what the criticism was?

1 hour ago, bob said:

Why didn't they still show the icon, but just not include it in the next screenshot?

Did they not understand what the criticism was?

7 hours ago, Julius said:

However, even if you choose leave to the icon up (the default), it now doesn't show up in your screenshot capture like it did before. 

I always found the way the screenshot icon would show up in other screenshots really bizarre, it was like that all through the PS4 too. Great they've finally fixed it.