NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

The first few months I would come back from putting my PS5 on rest mode and it would have crashed 75% of the time. It's been a bit better since then, I assume because of patches, but still happens.

Rest mode is basically broken on PS5 right now; almost everyone has been having issues with it.  I wouldn’t bother using it until they fix it properly (probably not until 2022 when the effects of COVID start wearing off).
It works fine for me, never had an issue with it.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Looks like Ghost of Tsushima might be getting a Director's Cut after it was rated by the ESRB: 

E5CzWvuXwAAAHtU?format=jpg&name=900x900

@Mandalore I know you were asking about whether this was getting a PS5 version, so this might end up being what you were looking for.

I loved my time with the game and the thought of using adaptive triggers for the sword...but I'd probably have to pass on it myself. Maybe. Maybe...

Also...

Spoilers for events and such if you care about that kind of thing (Reveal hidden contents)

...with the recent and very credible rumours of the game getting a spin-off/sequel game called Ghost of Ikishima, I imagine this Director's Cut will likely include both the original game and the spin-off. 

Would expect it to follow a similar pricing structure to Miles Morales and the Ultimate Edition, which included the PS5 version of the original game. 

Nice, got a couple of games on the go at the moment so hopefully this will be out by the time I finish them.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Both Housemarque and Bluepoint are no brainer acquisitions for Sony.  If anything, it’s surprising that it took so long.

Interesting to see Sony lock down their partners in light of Microsoft’s recent shopping spree (even Nintendo were spooked enough to buy NLG outright!).  Is there any other major independent partner Sony haven’t acquired yet? (Can’t say that any others spring to mind right now…)

They seem to work quite closely with Quantic Dream, but they seem to be having lots of internal issues (harassment from David Cage) that I don't think anyone wants to buy them at the moment.

If there's one game that doesn't need lengthening it's Ghost of Tsushima. That game was waaaaay too long. Hopefully the "Director's Cut" would just be a refinement of the game that's there, not adding more to it.

In all honesty though, I didn't really like it. A pretty but dull game.

Edited by Sheikah

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Out of curiosity, can you still hear the game/console it crashes? And are you using a TV with a Game Mode or HDR? Because I think I've read a few accounts where disabling the Game Mode/HDR worked for some. Might be a bit of a pain but have you tried turning the console off rather than putting it into Rest Mode? Not ideal but I know it was a bit of a concern for some at launch. 

Either way, sounds like you're having a rough go of it with your console so far though, sorry to hear it :( 

Hmm not sure if i can hear it when it crashes. I get a green screen once the “putting console in rest mode” is showing and the lights continue to flash white then it just dies. I then have to power it back on from the console and get told off for removing the power cable every time I then reboot it. 
I do have a game mode, yeah. It’s set to auto, so will go in and out of game mode when the console turns on or off. I can try to change it to off, but game mode on my Samsung Frame is quite good as it brightens the picture nicely. I may try knocking it off though, it’s a good shout! 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Rest mode is basically broken on PS5 right now; almost everyone has been having issues with it.  I wouldn’t bother using it until they fix it properly (probably not until 2022 when the effects of COVID start wearing off).

Yeah my mate has one and he’s had zero issues. Had his longer than mine too. Always goes into rest mode no problem. 
And normally I wouldn’t be so bothered about using rest mode if the controller would charge another way. That doesn’t involve me buying the charging cradle. 

Another acquisition has been made.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Acquires Nixxes to Further Elevate PlayStation Studios Exclusive Titles

Highly Regarded Netherlands-based Studio Will Bring Its Technical Expertise to Aid in Creating Premier PlayStation Gameplay Experiences

July 01, 2021 09:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time

SAN MATEO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sony Interactive Entertainment (“SIE”) announced today that SIE has completed the acquisition of Nixxes Software B.V. (“Nixxes”), an industry-leading Dutch studio with more than 20 years of experience in game development and optimization. Based in Utrecht, Netherlands, effective immediately, Nixxes will join PlayStation Studios Technology, Creative & Services Group to provide high quality in-house technical and development capabilities for PlayStation Studios.

“I highly respect Nixxes and am excited for this very experienced team to become part of the world-class development community at SIE,” said Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios. “They have a passion for improving games and for delivering the best possible experience for gamers. Nixxes will be a strong asset for everyone across PlayStation Studios, helping our teams focus on their most important goal, which is to create unique PlayStation content at the best possible quality.”

“We can’t wait to get to work and are so excited to bring our technical and development expertise to an IP powerhouse like PlayStation Studios,” said Jurjen Katsman, Founder & Sr. Director, Development, Nixxes. “We’re looking forward to working with some of the most talented teams in the industry to deliver the highest-quality gameplay experiences for PlayStation fans.”

Terms of this transaction including the acquisition cost are not disclosed due to contractual commitments.

Not being a PC gamer I’m unfamiliar with these guys. Looking at the Era thread is seems their bread and butter is porting games to PC. I guess this buy is to help get more PS exclusives on PC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

seems their bread and butter is porting games to PC. I guess this buy is to help get more PS exclusives on PC.

They also appear to be a great support studio. I can see them work on both PC ports and supporting other developers with their games.

Smart acquisition.

Also: Sony will buy studios haphazardly and never announce BluePoint joining their family just to fuck with @Julius

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Also: Sony will just buy studios haphazardly and never announce BluePoint joining their family just to fuck with @Julius

Based on the last few weeks I'm surprised it wasn't:

"We've acquired Nixxes to support our friends at Bluepoint as they collaborate on Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills

:laughing:

• Haha 2

Sounds a bit like a reaction to Microsoft buying up everyone in recent years! 

Bad news if you're not a fan of acquisitions

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I guess this buy is to help get more PS exclusives on PC.

Bingo.  That’s exactly what I’m thinking.

They’re a very solid port house who do good work (they’re responsible for most of the console versions of the modern Tomb Raider games).

Shame for those wanting good quality multiplatform releases on consoles, but it almost certainly means that they’ll be putting out very high quality PC versions of first party Playstation titles going forward :) 

This is a good read from Push Square on how Sony are failing the indie developer community. Over the past few days there have been a few tweets and articles from people in the industry about this subject but I think this is one of the better ones.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/07/report_how_playstation_is_failing_indie_developers

The whole thing sounds like a nightmare for these developers. Sony’s way of thinking in regards to indies certainly has changed since the PS3/Vita and early PS4 eras. With new management comes new priorities and I think that’s what we are seeing here. The likes of Shawn Laydon, Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi are now gone and it was people like this within the company that help push indie games on PS platforms.

It’s funny how things are playing out. In the early days of the Xbox 360 it was there where the indies flourished in the console space. Once Microsoft turned its focus to Kinect it was then Sony who pushed indie games on their platforms. Fast forward to now and it’s once again Xbox who are embracing the indie scene, as well as Nintendo, with Sony pushing them aside. 

• Thanks 2

Better yet, Jason Schreier has jumped into the fray with some detective work of his own...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-07-02/sony-draws-the-ire-of-indie-video-game-makers?utm_content=tech&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-tech

Indies were the ones that helped push the PS4 when everything was crossgen, and Indies were the ones that kept the Vita alive at all after its first year on the market.

Of course, as soon as Sony finished licking their wounds from the PS3; they were very quick to stab their indie partners in the back and dispose of them...

Edited by Dcubed

It’s not so much Sony as a company but rather it is certain higher ups. Apparently there are people within the company that aren’t happy with the way things are and are trying to get this sorted but it just doesn’t seem to be a priority for Jim and others. As I mentioned, the changing of the guard has certainly had an impact here.

One of the complaints is about visibility but I don’t think this is exclusive to Sony. All of the console makers are facing this problem and it’s one they caused themselves by not having quality control on their stores. The gaming landscape has massively changed even since the launch of the PS4. These days it’s so easy to knock out a game and shove it on a store front that the indie market has become stupidly oversaturated. Sure, MS highlights games on GP videos, Nintendo has Indie Directs and Sony shows indie games in SoP and have also recently been doing those indie spotlights where they announce new games over the space of a day. Despite all of these efforts most of these highlighted games will never get the sales that they probably deserve.

I think indie games in general still have a loooooooooong way to go in terms of getting acceptance from the general gaming community. You just have to look at the numbers that indie directs or other indie focused shows get when compared to any of the other big publisher shows. PS+, GWG and Game Pass have also devalued them, with many happy to wait until the games reach such services.

• Thanks 2

I don't think I've come across a digital storefront that does discoverability well. They all feel like trying to find a shirt that fits you by walking around TK Maxx with a blindfold on.

• Haha 2

I tried to find something on the Xbox Store (via the website) and it's so bad that googling "game name Xbox store" is much better than actually using Xbox/Microsoft site.

The app found the game well enough but you it doesn't tell you if you own it, doesn't let you buy it and won't even show the price.

One thing I love about the $25,000 for adverts that Kotaku was portraying as an awful thing: it also costs $25,000 for a prominent advert on Kotaku.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah the 25K thing shouldn't really be part of the indies against Playstation story, it seems pretty standard and understandable.

34 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I don't think I've come across a digital storefront that does discoverability well. They all feel like trying to find a shirt that fits you by walking around TK Maxx with a blindfold on.

The PS5 store is very fast loading which is great but really poor for discoverability. The home screen talks about a handful of big games but beyond that, it's a mess. Especially with so much shovelware flooding the platform now.

Xbox I find much better.

Switch is a mixed bag. Good curation from Nintendo and plenty of search options but the web based interface is so laggy it's painful to use.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

The Wii U eShop did a great job of this; easily the best digital games store I've ever used (and the fact that many games sold best on Wii U, despite the hardware itself being a gagantuan sales failure is testament to the quality of the Wii U eShop layout).  The Switch eShop is a gigantic leap backwards in that regard.

I tried to find something on the Xbox Store (via the website) and it's so bad that googling "game name Xbox store" is much better than actually using Xbox/Microsoft site.

The app found the game well enough but you it doesn't tell you if you own it, doesn't let you buy it and won't even show the price.

One thing I love about the $25,000 for adverts that Kotaku was portraying as an awful thing: it also costs $25,000 for a prominent advert on Kotaku.

This is very true.  The Xbox store (on both console and on the web) is completely useless for finding anything.  You basically have to know the name of the game and use the search function, or else you will never find what you're looking for.  I've honestly just given up now and I usually just google "game name Xbox store" like you do.

Edited by Dcubed

It seems other companies were interested in snapping up Housemarque, with China, US and Sweden all be named as the countries where the other interested parties were located. I imagine Microsoft and Tencent were two of them. I’m not surprised Sony went all in on them.

It feels like this is where we are heading now. If big hitters like MS and Tencent start sniffing around studios then Sony and Nintendo are going to have to pay up in order to secure them, as seen with this deal and Next Level Games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems other companies were interested in snapping up Housemarque, with China, US and Sweden all be named as the countries where the other interested parties were located. I imagine Microsoft and Tencent were two of them. I’m not surprised Sony went all in on them.
It feels like this is where we are heading now. If big hitters like MS and Tencent start sniffing around studios then Sony and Nintendo are going to have to pay up in order to secure them, as seen with this deal and Next Level Games.
As annoying as buying up exclusives is, you have to wonder if it will result in more stable/optimised games if developers aren't having to put their games out on multiple systems. Bethesda comes to mind with their games that ran like utter shite on PlayStation consoles, for instance.

18 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As annoying as buying up exclusives is, you have to wonder if it will result in more stable/optimised games if developers aren't having to put their games out on multiple systems. Bethesda comes to mind with their games that ran like utter shite on PlayStation consoles, for instance.

You would hope that would be the case but examples like Days Gone and Master Chief Collection show that even if games are exclusive, 1st parties are still willing to ship them even if they need more time in the oven. Bethesda games ran poorly on the 360 as well. It will be interesting to see if they improve under Microsoft’s leadership.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah the 25K thing shouldn't really be part of the indies against Playstation story, it seems pretty standard and understandable.

The PS5 store is very fast loading which is great but really poor for discoverability. The home screen talks about a handful of big games but beyond that, it's a mess. Especially with so much shovelware flooding the platform now.

Xbox I find much better.

Switch is a mixed bag. Good curation from Nintendo and plenty of search options but the web based interface is so laggy it's painful to use.

Yeah they've all got good and bad things but nobody seems to have figured this out, and I'm including wider ones like App Store and Play Store. It's inevitable to some regards when there's a lot of content but it still feels messy. Hell, even trying to find new podcasts on any podcast app seems awful in my experience.

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The Wii U eShop did a great job of this; easily the best digital games store I've ever used (and the fact that many games sold best on Wii U, despite the hardware itself being a gagantuan sales failure is testament to the quality of the Wii U eShop layout).  The Switch eShop is a gigantic leap backwards in that regard.

I'll take your word for it, I've purged all knowledge of the Wii U from my head.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Agreed.  We're really entering Endgame now as far as this industry goes.  The winner will be the one that secures the most developers and game content for their services; just like what's happening with TV/streaming and the movie induistries.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo has a chance in this game really.  They're gonna end up going it alone again; but their partners who they rely on (especially Tecmo Koei) are gonna get eaten up if they don't hurry up and start putting rings on fingers pretty soon...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Agreed.  We're really entering Endgame now as far as this industry goes.  The winner will be the one that secures the most developers and game content for their services; just like what's happening with TV/streaming and the movie induistries.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo has a chance in this game really.  They're gonna end up going it alone again; but their partners who they rely on (especially Tecmo Koei) are gonna get eaten up if they don't hurry up and start putting rings on fingers pretty soon...

Yeah, Nintendo don’t have the money to throw around like Microsoft and Tencent do. However, I think they are still in a decent position when compared to the rest of them. They have a huge library of games from past consoles at their disposal, it’s just whether or not they want to actually utilise them.

They’ve been on their own for a while now. Sure, they have support from various 3rd parties but it’s still their own games that are drives the sales of their consoles. I do see what you mean though about their support studios. They have proven to be quite valuable this generation and losing them to another company would certainly hinder their game production.

It’s funny, given the arcade style games that Housemarque make, I often thought they would have been a good fit for Nintendo and the Switch.