NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

37 minutes ago, Julius said:

No, it doesn't have to be on, but I can't recall if the default is for the power supply to the USB ports to be turned off, so it's possible it might be turned off for when the console is off too? 

You can check this and turn the power supply on for when the console is off through Settings > System > Power Saving > Features Available in Rest Mode > Supply Power to USB Ports. 

Not sure which wall adapter you're using, but would have to imagine it might be that, as I use my phone charger sometimes for my controllers and headset and it gets on fine, but I've read a few instances of it not working for others, so not too sure. I know annoyingly you can't charge a DualShock 3 with a wall charger, but don't believe that to be the case with the DualSense. 

Thanks. Yeah had the option on in settings, but my console likes to just shut itself down when in rest mode so pretty pointless plugging it in. 
Also stupid that my controller doesn’t charge via a normal wall plug cable either. Tried two different ones, nothing. 

So frustrating  

• Angry 1

I’d recommend the charging dock, it has its own power supply so no need to worry what the console is doing. Also frees up USB ports on the console.

Edited by Map
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Map said:

I’d recommend the charging dock, it has its own power supply so no need to worry what the console is doing. Also frees up USB ports on the console.

Yeah thought about that. Basic function of the console though to be able to just charge the controller and I don’t really have anywhere to put the dock. 👎🏻

Are you going to get the machine looked at? Doesn’t seem like something it should be doing at all.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Are you going to get the machine looked at? Doesn’t seem like something it should be doing at all.

It’s a known issue apparently. I don’t think even Sony know why it’s doing it, and like I say, the console plays games absolutely fine. I don’t have any issues there. 

I read people have sent consoles away for them to come back with the exact same problem. 

Oh if that’s the case it really sucks, guess there isn’t much point doing anything until they know why it happens and how to fix it.

Have you tried taking it out of the cabinet? I know my PS4 Pro would occasionally fire up all the fans as it was overheating itself while shut away. Could be something similar and it’s not handling it properly?

Yeah, mine doesn't charge through the USB either. Not sure if I have that option enabled. I have the dock so not too bothered. 

22 minutes ago, Will said:

Oh if that’s the case it really sucks, guess there isn’t much point doing anything until they know why it happens and how to fix it.

Have you tried taking it out of the cabinet? I know my PS4 Pro would occasionally fire up all the fans as it was overheating itself while shut away. Could be something similar and it’s not handling it properly?

Yeah I could do I just really don’t want it on display. But I did consider it. 
I will give that a whirl later and see how it goes. 👍🏼

Started putting my console into rest mode when not in a game. 

So, going back to home / the dashboard page and then putting it into sleep mode. 

5 times later, it has stayed in rest mode with no green screen and no shut downs. :) 

I've also taken it out of the cabinet, so could be a combination of both, or could just be coincidence. But will keep going in this manner and see if it continues to hold up ok!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Started putting my console into rest mode when not in a game. 

So, going back to home / the dashboard page and then putting it into sleep mode. 

5 times later, it has stayed in rest mode with no green screen and no shut downs. :) 

I've also taken it out of the cabinet, so could be a combination of both, or could just be coincidence. But will keep going in this manner and see if it continues to hold up ok!

Oh that’s interesting! Thinking about it I always go to the dashboard before I put my machine in rest mode. I’m going to try doing it in a game and see if I get the crashes.

7 hours ago, Will said:

Oh that’s interesting! Thinking about it I always go to the dashboard before I put my machine in rest mode. I’m going to try doing it in a game and see if I get the crashes.

I haven’t tried doing it yet in game since I’ve had a run of success putting it into sleep from the dashboard. 
I may try it later and see if that’s what is causing the issue. 

Hopefully yours doesn’t crash if you try it! 

Sony have acquired Housemarque:

I take it Returnal was a hit for them in the end then, which is great, as they seemed a bit lost and on the ropes just a few years ago. I'm still looking forward to getting around to playing it, think I'm just waiting on a Quick Save option to be honest.  

Now can PlayStation please stop messing around and acquire Bluepoint already? :p

EDIT

Uhhhhhhhh guys, PlayStation JP apparently posted this before taking it down:

Unbenannt.jpg

They even included the Slayer of Demons in that lineup between Selene and Aloy. It could be fake, but I'm struggling to see how someone could possibly cobble something like this together that quickly. There was a link to the post which is now dead too. 

Did someone jump the gun on a Bluepoint acquisition? They don't have a post up about Housemarque, so I'm wondering if they got the two mixed up, but at the same time...the background image has another character included alongside Selene and a different (Bluepoint's) logo. Maybe this is something we'll hear about in the coming weeks? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Julius said:

Sony have acquired Housemarque

You know...I'm not one to be happy about acquisitions, but this one...this one makes me happy :D

• Like 2

Why PlayStation bought Returnal developer Housemarque: the inside story

As Sony Interactive Entertainment acquires Returnal developer Housemarque, GQ speaks to head of PlayStation Studios Hermen Hulst and Housemarque’s cofounder Ilari Kuittinen about how the deal was struck and the Finnish studio's future

It's a great read :)

There are a lot of companies making acquisitions in gaming at the moment. Microsoft just bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion, Facebook has scooped up a lot of developers in the VR space of late and now Sony is purchasing Housemarque. Looking at the industry from the outside, it feels like a bit of an arms race. Is that how you see it, Hermen?

Hermen Hulst: No, not at all. We're very selective about the developers that we bring in. Our last new acquisition was Insomniac [for $229 million in 2019], which has worked out very well. I'm always looking for people that have a similar set of values, similar creative ambitions and work very well with our team that we can further invest in and help grow as creators. It's not like we're going around and just making random acquisitions. 

They’re very, very targeted acquisitions of teams that we know well. The amount of collaboration between our external development group and Housemarque on the technical side, the production management side and even on the creative side has been so deep. So for us, it just makes so much sense to do that. 

Really appreciate that. I prefer this approach to the brute forcing that some other companies have been doing/will keep doing.

Talking about a so called "studio head forum" which is about sharing ideas and technology:

Could you tell us a bit more about that forum? What kind of stuff have you covered recently?

HH: I think the area that Ilari’s had some pretty deep experience with over the last 18 months is distributed development when everybody's working at home. It's really important that we try different things out and we share those learnings, because when you're one studio you speak with some friends. But when you have that network of 13 studios globally that are typically quite well organised, but have very different cultures, you can learn a lot.

We also talk a lot about the wellbeing of people. How do you maintain the health of people during the pandemic? We talk about creativity. Any topic that concerns game development is not off limits for these forums that we do.

Sounds like a good place to be working in :peace:

I'm very happy for Housemarque :D They deserve it!

• Like 2

I didn't realise Housemarque were independent. Seems like a sensible move by Sony.

There's also this interview with Hulst and Irari by Famitsu which is well worth a read. Some really amusing parts where they have to explain the jokes too :laughing:

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

You know...I'm not one to be happy about acquisitions, but this one...this one makes me happy :D

I think it's great, they just seemed down on their luck a few years ago and now they've got a big hit on their hands and financial stability. It's got to be great as a creative to have that backing, and I have to imagine it boosts morale and confidence exponentially. 

I've liked these PlayStation acquisitions so far because they've been for companies that they have already teamed up with shown that they can get great results. It gives me confidence that they'll fit neatly into PlayStation's portfolio moving forwards, as they already have that working relationship, from which they will have already gained insight into expectations, wants, and needs.

As soon as PlayStation start pulling the trigger on massive third parties that they don't necessarily have that sort of working relationship with, like Xbox have, I'll be the first to call them out on it. It's why I'm nervous about them not tying down Bluepoint, because Xbox could just as easily try to pull a move for them when they don't have that relationship at all. 

So, tell us what the deal was with that tweet in Japan about Bluepoint being acquired, PlayStation! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

they already have that working relationship, from which they will have already gained insight into expectations, wants, and needs.

So much this. And they also get the freedom to try something new and bold, as we've seen with Returnal. :)

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

As soon as PlayStation start pulling the trigger on massive third parties that they don't necessarily have that sort of working relationship with, like Xbox have, I'll be the first to call them out on it.

I'm with ya on that. :D

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

So, tell us what the deal was with that tweet in Japan about Bluepoint being acquired, PlayStation!

Just a matter of time. Unless the picture of the tweet that's making the rounds is fake, we'll get the official announcement soon. Maybe closer to a reasonable time of day in the US.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Just a matter of time. Unless the picture of the tweet that's making the rounds is fake, we'll get the official announcement soon. Maybe closer to a reasonable time of day in the US.

Apparently it's been confirmed to be legit through Tweetdeck, as it still shows deleted tweets, so...yeah. All but confirmed until we hear more I guess, but that's definitely the one I've been hoping for! 

Great shout on the time, I hadn't even thought about the time in the US -- if it's going to be today, got to imagine it'll be around midday Pacific just to have everyone in the US covered, which would be around 20:00 this evening; but then again I could be totally off and they could do it at 12:00 Eastern, which would be 07:00 Pacific and 17:00 BST.

It'd be a massive day for PlayStation if they announced both on the same day. Not sure if they'd do that, but either way, I think it's their way of getting eyes back on them after going quiet over E3 ahead of a potential State of Play, which would be smart. 

• Like 1

Just now, Julius said:

Not sure if they'd do that, but either way, I think it's their way of getting eyes back on them after going quiet over E3 ahead of a potential State of Play, which would be smart. 

To think that Sony's/PlayStation's PR is supposed to be bad :p

There's a rumour that we'll get a presentation next week. If that's true I would expect an announcement on Friday.

• Like 1

Looks like Ghost of Tsushima might be getting a Director's Cut after it was rated by the ESRB: 

E5CzWvuXwAAAHtU?format=jpg&name=900x900

@Mandalore I know you were asking about whether this was getting a PS5 version, so this might end up being what you were looking for.

I loved my time with the game and the thought of using adaptive triggers for the sword...but I'd probably have to pass on it myself. Maybe. Maybe...

Also...

Spoiler

...with the recent and very credible rumours of the game getting a spin-off/sequel game called Ghost of Ikishima, I imagine this Director's Cut will likely include both the original game and the spin-off. 

Would expect it to follow a similar pricing structure to Miles Morales and the Ultimate Edition, which included the PS5 version of the original game. 

• Thanks 1

Well, it was going so well putting the console into rest mode from the Home Screen. But today I have had three green screen crashes each time I have gone to put into rest mode. All from Home Screen. :(

To add to that, just had the actual console freeze up whilst travelling to a different planet in R&C, and when it eventually kicked me out to the Home Screen, all I could do was bring up the sub menu so I put it into rest mode and it’s now just stuck with the white lights flashing on the console for the last ten minutes. 
I give up.

• Sad 1

Both Housemarque and Bluepoint are no brainer acquisitions for Sony.  If anything, it’s surprising that it took so long.

Interesting to see Sony lock down their partners in light of Microsoft’s recent shopping spree (even Nintendo were spooked enough to buy NLG outright!).  Is there any other major independent partner Sony haven’t acquired yet? (Can’t say that any others spring to mind right now…)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Well, it was going so well putting the console into rest mode from the Home Screen. But today I have had three green screen crashes each time I have gone to put into rest mode. All from Home Screen. :(

To add to that, just had the actual console freeze up whilst travelling to a different planet in R&C, and when it eventually kicked me out to the Home Screen, all I could do was bring up the sub menu so I put it into rest mode and it’s now just stuck with the white lights flashing on the console for the last ten minutes. 
I give up.

Out of curiosity, can you still hear the game/console it crashes? And are you using a TV with a Game Mode or HDR? Because I think I've read a few accounts where disabling the Game Mode/HDR worked for some. Might be a bit of a pain but have you tried turning the console off rather than putting it into Rest Mode? Not ideal but I know it was a bit of a concern for some at launch. 

Either way, sounds like you're having a rough go of it with your console so far though, sorry to hear it :( 

9 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I give up.

Rest mode is basically broken on PS5 right now; almost everyone has been having issues with it.  I wouldn’t bother using it until they fix it properly (probably not until 2022 when the effects of COVID start wearing off).

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Rest mode is basically broken on PS5 right now; almost everyone has been having issues with it.  I wouldn’t bother using it until they fix it properly (probably not until 2022 when the effects of COVID start wearing off).

I'm not sure that's totally true, as I've had zero issues with Rest Mode since launch. I did flirt with turning the console off every time I used it very briefly for a few hours around launch, but quickly forgot. 

*touches all the wood*

Only crashes I've had so far were on launch day with Miles Morales, and that turned out to be down to be something I could reproduce through the mode I was playing in (Fidelity) before any major updates beyond the Day 1 patch. 

Edited by Julius