NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Registration has gone up for the next major system update beta later this year:

What's everyone hoping for, either in this update or some other one in the future? For me it would have to be:

• folders (my digital games are completely buried right now)

• get rid of the screenshot capture notification completely or make sure it doesn't turn up in screenshots, like how the UI for capturing recording doesn't show up in those recordings 

• make trophies a bit more accessible, maybe give us the choice to pin some (especially those with Activity Cards or counters)

• improve the look of the individual trophies. I really don't like the cards :(

• settings presets for certain games would be cool. For example, I normally turned trophies off for story-driven games but just leave them on now as it's a bit of a pain to turn them on and off from game to game, so maybe a way to let us add a preset for notifications for certain games I choose and not others. 

• along similar lines, presets for headsets with certain games. I play online with my friends quite a bit each week but from game to game I'm having to adjust their volume and the volume of the games themselves. 

@Ganepark32 mentioned this in the Switch thread but I’ll also mention it here.

The reason for giving it a mention here is because it’s rumoured to be part of PS+ next month. I certainly hope this is the case. It’s a fantastic game and one that more people need to experience. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Is it a scary-horror-not-for-drahkon-game?

Nah. It’s a stealth-get-caught-game-over-not-for-drahkon-game. :p 

• Sad 1

Remember back in April when this trailer for a new game called Abandoned by Blue Box Games was announced, and everyone was in a huff thinking that it was Kojima? And then the studio denied it was a game by Kojima? 

Well, if you're down for conspiracies and still open to the possibility that this is Kojima (not necessarily Silent Hills, but a horror game by Kojima), then start looking down this rabbit hole:

And if you're down for a little extra spice:

Remember too that the Director's Cut was the only game we were told we would be seeing again in the next few weeks, when there are no currently planned State of Plays as far as we are aware of. Could be a slip on Geoff's side, but I'm wondering if they're saving whatever this is for either Gamescom or that next State of Play, potentially alongside the Director's Cut. 

It's crazy and convoluted, which does make it sound a while lot like Kojima, and the straight up denial that this was a Kojima game got people to back off, but it's back in full force now, and I am here for it. I mean, just read it, it's so calculated that drawing up as a coincidence almost seems naive. Stock photos being used on LinkedIn for staff? A fake PSN account? 

We'll have to wait and see, but guess this speculation is here to stay a while longer! 

• Confused 1

While I enjoy Kojima trolling people and hiding a game announcement behind some ARG, this is not one of those times. The devs started a kickstarter some years ago and actually developed a few games. ::shrug:

Also: I really hope this isn't true, because I don't want a horror game made by Kojima :p

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Also: I really hope this isn't true, because I don't want a horror game made by Kojima :p

Same. I barely got through the PT demo. I doubt I could stomach a full horror game. :( 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

While I enjoy Kojima trolling people and hiding a game announcement behind some ARG, this is not one of those times. The devs started a kickstarter some years ago and actually developed a few games. ::shrug:

I'm not fully onboard with it, but it is really fun to speculate about. Kojima or not, this is one hell of an ARG. Kudos to whoever planned it, I think game marketing is boilerplate at best way too much of the time and it's nice to see someone spice it up. 

Just to play devil's advocate to your point about the Kickstarter though, they were bought out by a private investor under the strangest of circumstances when their Kickstarter didn't look like something worth backing, let alone not really having much of a history as a company to justify it. And then they turn out to be making a PlayStation exclusive, again with nothing to really show since they were bought out...it is just super weird. 

Geoff Keighley being onboard with whatever's going on is by far the strangest part to me though. A lot of the other stuff feels like you need to jump through hoops to explain, but there really is no explaining how an indie developer bought out by a private investor - and is now having their game worked on by a team called CREATEQ Interactive, another company with no real history - who has had nothing to really show for the last 5+ years is now being talked about by arguably the biggest hype man in the industry. Even if it's not Kojima, good lord do these people know how to market a game.

Now, if it's not Kojima (which they've said multiple times), then I think they'll perhaps rightly get some blowback from this, as they've definitely leaned into it quite a bit, and every time they apologise they then lean into it even harder. Whole thing is bizarre and I have a tough time believing it, but I just want to see how this whole thing pans out! 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, as someone who never played P.T. as I didn't have a PS4 at the time (and didn't even know it existed), I've watched a playthrough on YouTube and all I can say is that is one twisted a demo. 

So definitely wouldn't be one for me either, kind of why I'm hoping it's not Kojima -- because then it's probably Del Toro and almost definitely Junji Ito too, and that guy's manga freaks me the hell out! 

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Ganepark32 mentioned this in the Switch thread but I’ll also mention it here.

The reason for giving it a mention here is because it’s rumoured to be part of PS+ next month. I certainly hope this is the case. It’s a fantastic game and one that more people need to experience. 

I saw the rumour yesterday that its supposedly going to be the game for PS5 next month and with this remaster being announced, it just seems to much of a coincidence. Regardless of whether its a PS+ title, I'm very tempted to pick it up again and play through it with the PS5 upgrades and because it is just a brilliant game.

I do hope it comes onto PS+ though as more people should really give the game a go as its just a really well done AA game.

Very excited for the sequel coming next year as well.

Looks like I'll have to send my PS5 away for repairs. Yesterday when I went to switch it in, the console would just flicker between static and a black screen. It eventually resolved and turned on to be used. Had the same issue again this afternoon but again it started to work but this evening its taken 20 minutes for a picture to come up despite the flickering. Couldn't boot into safe mode as that was producing the same effect.

I've tried a few quick fixes when I've managed to get a picture, like different HDMI cable, different port, etc. but still the same issue. I've changed the screen setting to just go to 1080p to see if that'll steady things for a bit but I know its just a matter of time before I have to send it in as its likely a faulty HDMI port.

Bit annoying I'll have to go through Sony's customer services to get a repair as I've heard nightmares and people's consoles not actually getting repaired for what they're sent in for (with Sony saying there was no issue). To be honest, the console has been a bit of a pain for small issues since I got it and the coil whine that I've got does seem to be getting louder so here's hoping that they can hit two nails on the head and sort out both.

Looks like I'll have to send my PS5 away for repairs. Yesterday when I went to switch it in, the console would just flicker between static and a black screen. It eventually resolved and turned on to be used. Had the same issue again this afternoon but again it started to work but this evening its taken 20 minutes for a picture to come up despite the flickering. Couldn't boot into safe mode as that was producing the same effect.
I've tried a few quick fixes when I've managed to get a picture, like different HDMI cable, different port, etc. but still the same issue. I've changed the screen setting to just go to 1080p to see if that'll steady things for a bit but I know its just a matter of time before I have to send it in as its likely a faulty HDMI port.
Bit annoying I'll have to go through Sony's customer services to get a repair as I've heard nightmares and people's consoles not actually getting repaired for what they're sent in for (with Sony saying there was no issue). To be honest, the console has been a bit of a pain for small issues since I got it and the coil whine that I've got does seem to be getting louder so here's hoping that they can hit two nails on the head and sort out both.
Have you tried it on a different TV?

42 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
58 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Have you tried it on a different TV?

Not able to try another TV as I don't have one. Don't think it would've done much as my Series S was working in both HDMI ports and with both HDMI cables on my TV.

Thankfully changing one of the screen settings looks like it might be working for now. Changed the screen resolution from automatic to 1080p. Seems to be working ay the moment so I'm hoping it'll stay that way as I don't really want to be sending my PS5 off with having bought Rift Apart and Chicory (and I'm also contemplating picking up Hitman 3 as its on sale as well as a few other things like Scarlet Nexus depending on reviews).

Its weird that it done that since the last firmware update as no issue like it previously. Fingers crossed it keeps working with the settings change I made.

This is the second time I’ve not been able to turn my PS5 on from the controller because the power cord has apparently been removed before turning the console off properly. 
On each occasion, that hasn’t happened. I’ve just put the console into rest mode both times, gone to turn it on the next day via the controller and been met with this message: 

3hnIw5v.jpg

No power cut, no loose AC cord. The console is stored in a cupboard (because it’s ugly as hell) so it won’t have accidentally been moved or anything. 
Anyone seen this before? 
Like I say two times now and had it 5 days. 

Scratch that. 3 times now. 
Just done it again after putting it in rest mode an hour ago. 
Definitely a fault. 

EDIT, search on Reddit shows that it’s happening to a lot of people since launch. The work around is to just boot it up but from powering off each time rather than keep it in rest mode. Absolute bag of shit, really. 

Edited by Aneres11

Been lucky enough not to encounter anything myself but the PS5 has had a lot of rest mode bugs. It seems to be linked to the firmware where various things like HDMI CEC, USB ports, external storage are telling the PS5 to turn off even in rest mode. I think you can try workarounds by disabling stuff in settings and it will no doubt get resolved in future firmware updates but frustrating none the less. The firmware and OS has a lot of potential but definitely came in hot for the PS5 launch and is certainly a little undercooked at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Map said:

Been lucky enough not to encounter anything myself but the PS5 has had a lot of rest mode bugs. It seems to be linked to the firmware where various things like HDMI CEC, USB ports, external storage are telling the PS5 to turn off even in rest mode. I think you can try workarounds by disabling stuff in settings and it will no doubt get resolved in future firmware updates but frustrating none the less. The firmware and OS has a lot of potential but definitely came in hot for the PS5 launch and is certainly a little undercooked at the moment.

I’ve had a mess with settings to see if it’s something my tv was doing but didn’t seem to help either. I’ll keep trying and see what happens. 
At first I thought I’d had a power cut overnight or something, but my Series X booted up normally and they’re on the same double wall socket. 

Will keep an eye on it! No issues playing it though. Which is good as I’m loving R&C :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I’ve had a mess with settings to see if it’s something my tv was doing but didn’t seem to help either. I’ll keep trying and see what happens. 
At first I thought I’d had a power cut overnight or something, but my Series X booted up normally and they’re on the same double wall socket. 

Will keep an eye on it! No issues playing it though. Which is good as I’m loving R&C :D 

Glad you’re enjoying Ratchet at least! 

A Reddit thread trying different settings for rest mode, it might help.

Rest Mode Thread

• Like 1

Looks like there's some weekend deals on the PS store until Monday on PS5 titles, with the likes of Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy and Returnal amongst a few others on discounts. The first 3 I mention there are discounted more this weekend than they were during the Days of Play sale and Returnal has a nice 25% discount that makes it a bit more palatable digitally for me at least.

Demon's Souls - £52.49 (£71.99 for Digital Deluxe)

Spiderman: Miles Morales - £33.49 (£52.49 for Ultimate Edition)

Sackboy - £42.59 (£62.39 for Digital Deluxe)

Returnal - £52.49 (£62.39 for Digital Deluxe)

Nioh Collection - £52.49 (both remasters are £33.49 each)

Not bad price wise. Brings them somewhat more in line with what you can get them for physically at least. Bit gutted I jumped at Miles Morales during the Days of Play sale as I could've saved a little on it, but that price for Returnal is very tempting.

As I say, sale is until Monday 28th.

• Like 4

Are recent PS4 exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima getting PS5 releases, or are the performance enhancement patches the most we will get?

11 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Are recent PS4 exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima getting PS5 releases, or are the performance enhancement patches the most we will get?

I'm not sure, but it looks and plays so good anyway that a PS5 version would probably be unnecessary.

11 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Don't believe we've had anything confirmed either way, but for games like Ghost of Tsushima where they've already received next-gen patches, I'm doubtful we'd see a native PS5 release. Just don't think it'd be worth it for them due to the diminishing returns financially after already having a patch out there. 

Plus, like @Sheikah says, Ghost looks and plays great as is with the PS5 patch. 

2 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Looks like there's some weekend deals on the PS store until Monday on PS5 titles, with the likes of Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Sackboy and Returnal amongst a few others on discounts. The first 3 I mention there are discounted more this weekend than they were during the Days of Play sale and Returnal has a nice 25% discount that makes it a bit more palatable digitally for me at least.

Demon's Souls - £52.49 (£71.99 for Digital Deluxe)

Spiderman: Miles Morales - £33.49 (£52.49 for Ultimate Edition)

Sackboy - £42.59 (£62.39 for Digital Deluxe)

Returnal - £52.49 (£62.39 for Digital Deluxe)

Nioh Collection - £52.49 (both remasters are £33.49 each)

Not bad price wise. Brings them somewhat more in line with what you can get them for physically at least. Bit gutted I jumped at Miles Morales during the Days of Play sale as I could've saved a little on it, but that price for Returnal is very tempting.

As I say, sale is until Monday 28th.

Not sure if people can be bothered setting up a US PSN account, but you can make some big savings here.

E.g. Demon's Souls is (after conversion) about 35 quid on the US store (link). You can make further savings (and avoid having to pay in dollars) by buying a 50 USD (USA region) PSN card for 32.15 GBP from Eneba here. So Demon's Souls for 32 quid, all in all (same price for Returnal, actually).

For anyone interested but who hasn't done this before, you can buy a game by logging into your US PSN account then switch to your regular UK PSN account and play it there.

I don't think I'll be doing it as I'm content to wait longer for a discount, but makes these prices somewhat reasonable for those that want these games now.

• Like 1

Does the PS5 controller only charge when plugged into a console that is turned ON? 

Seeing as my console won’t stay in rest mode without shutting itself down, the controller is constantly low on charge. So I used my phone charger to charge it this morning but doesn’t seem to have done anything? 

18 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Does the PS5 controller only charge when plugged into a console that is turned ON? 

Seeing as my console won’t stay in rest mode without shutting itself down, the controller is constantly low on charge. So I used my phone charger to charge it this morning but doesn’t seem to have done anything? 

No, it doesn't have to be on, but I can't recall if the default is for the power supply to the USB ports to be turned off, so it's possible it might be turned off for when the console is off too? 

You can check this and turn the power supply on for when the console is off through Settings > System > Power Saving > Features Available in Rest Mode > Supply Power to USB Ports. 

Not sure which wall adapter you're using, but would have to imagine it might be that, as I use my phone charger sometimes for my controllers and headset and it gets on fine, but I've read a few instances of it not working for others, so not too sure. I know annoyingly you can't charge a DualShock 3 with a wall charger, but don't believe that to be the case with the DualSense.