NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

13 minutes ago, Cube said:

I see Fallen Order as more of a Metroidvania-like game than a Souls game. Mostly because I loved it while I hated Demons Souls and Bloodbourne. 

I think there are certainly influences from both, some bits that they pulled off well, and some others that I think left something to be desired. I do think there are two very distinct sides to Fallen Order. 

To me it felt like the general exploration was more in line with what we've seen in "modern 3D Metroidvanias" (I hate trying to pin a game's genre down as much as the next guy, but here we are), and when I was playing it I distinctly felt that it was somewhat similar to 2018's God of War, which is funny because as far as I'm aware Stig had nothing to do with that game, but worked on earlier God of War titles, so there's certainly a through line there I think. 

The general combat loop and mechanics, especially with regards to death as far as I can remember, to me at least, is where it felt the most like it was trying to draw from Souls, but floundered.

I guess that the game felt like two very distinct parts to me highlights what a Final Fantasy Souls-like would need to focus on, which is making something that is consistent across the board. Fallen Order wanted me to explore at my leisure as you might in a Metroidvania, but wanted to have the intensity in battles of a Souls game, and in the end - for me at least - wound up in this weird middle ground where the combat was pretty uninteresting. I haven't played Nioh but I've only heard good things about it, and besides From Software, it doesn't really seem like anyone else is well equipped to tackle a Souls-like at the moment. 

The only From game I've played so far is Demon's Souls, but it definitely feels like a Metroidvania at times with how the world and level design all connects, and how certain elements need to be returned to later in the game (though it's not usually an unlocked ability but a found key, having beat a certain boss, or something like that). It's a shame you didn't have a good time with what you played of them from the sounds of it, though I get that they aren't for everyone, and if it wasn't for me sticking with it and catching a bit of a break which saw me jump 10+ levels at once after dying at the same boss over and over again in Demon's Souls, amassing souls, then I might not have been saying that I look forward to playing another game of theirs in the future. 

Nah.  Fallen Order is definitely a Dark Souls knockoff more than anything else (though it’s also an Uncharted knockoff too).

It does have backtracking, but so too do the Dark Souls games.

Imran Khan, formerly of Game Informer and Kinda Funny and now over at Fanbyte, has put out an article based on his own sources further corroborating the apparent existence of Final Fantasy Origin

The rumor states that Square Enix is working with Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo’s in-house development team behind games like Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, and perhaps most relevantly the latest entry in the Final Fantasy fighting game series Dissidia NT. The posted rumors go on further by assigning the game a genre, something akin to Nioh or the Souls games, and suggesting it takes place somewhere in or adjacent to the world of the first Final Fantasy game on the NES.

The game, which appears to be exclusive to PlayStation 5 with a PC release further down the road, will be one of Square Enix’s tentpoles at their upcoming E3 show. For whatever reason, several large chunks of the undated June show have leaked out, including the Final Fantasy Origin’s logo and demo plans. Square Enix hopes to release an alpha demo this summer, not unlike Nioh’s public alphas, to solicit feedback from the audience while the game is still in a fairly early state. This demo, like several other major demos, has its own title of “Stranger in Paradise.”

That demo name definitely sounds like a Souls player character title :p

Edited by Julius

34 minutes ago, Julius said:

That demo name definitely sounds like a Souls player character title :p

Or...

• Haha 1

Sony projection for this financial year is to sell 15 million PS5's, and then 23 million the year after. 

For reference, at the same point in the PS4's life cycle that they expect to reach 50 million with the PS5, there were 40 million units sold. 

9 hours ago, drahkon said:

Demo for Scarlet Nexus is out on PS4/PS5.

Was waiting for this. Timed exclusivity for demos is a bit ridiculous, even if it was only a week to wait for it to hit PS4/PS5.

Anyway, played through it as the male character and its alright. Visually there's a lot going on with the environments and so it looks a little cluttered. It does look like a cross gen title though, or at least one that started on last gen as things do look muddy in places and it doesn't look the sharpest for its resolution.

Combat was fine but there's a lot going on with different systems so I felt I was only getting my head round button prompts for using different combo types as the demo ended. The boss battles felt a bit flat as a way to end it, having to kite it to jump and belly flop below the cranes before you could use them even though there were plenty of times the boss was standing under them just spamming the gunge shot move.

Its one I'll keep my eye on. I wasn't blown away but there's enough there thats got me interested (like the psychokinesis powers) but I'll see how reviews land for it and if its got the legs and depth to keep me engaged longer than another similarly styled title, Astral Chain.

The PS Plus 12-month sub is discounted on the PSN digital store now, for those interested. ShopTo are also selling 12-month sub codes for even cheaper at £32.85 (link).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

The PS Plus 12-month sub is discounted on the PSN digital store now, for those interested. ShopTo are also selling 12-month sub codes for even cheaper at £32.85 (link).

Amazon have price matched here if you prefer to use them instead of ShopTo.

• Like 2

Got 50€ PSN credit for 38€ and used it for a PS+ subscription. Got 5€ credit left :D

Some of the kind of smaller parts from Hermen Hulst's Q&A. 

Sony Bend officially working on a new open world IP (aka Schreier was right, not much of a surprise there)

And you know, Bend Studio is working on a very exciting new IP that they’re very, very passionate about. They’re building on the deep open-world systems that they developed with Days Gone. So I’m really happy for Bend Studio.

More plans to expand into the PC space (Uncharted 4 was recently potentially spilled as part of those documents from a week or two ago)

We’re still early on in our planning for PC. And Horizon Zero Dawn has been very successful. I think it shows there’s an appetite from gamers outside the PlayStation ecosystem to experience the amazing portfolio of games that PlayStation fans have enjoyed for years.

But I want to emphasize that PlayStation will remain the best place to play our PlayStation Studios titles at launch. But we do value PC gamers, and we’ll continue to look at the right times to launch each game. Bend Studio just released the PC version of Days Gone on May 18. So that’s about two years after the PS4 release.

And I hope that a new set of fans can and will enjoy that title. And that’s the goal — we want to reach new gamers who haven’t yet experienced the great stories, characters, and worlds that we’ve built. Releasing games on PC will not come ever at the expense of building an exciting lineup of great console games.

An update on Team Asobi

We’re building Team Asobi in Tokyo, a world-class studio that are developing a franchise for all ages with global appeal. Such a creative team.

Just give me the next Astro Bot already :bouncy:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and God of War Ragnarok & Gran Turismo 7 have also been confirmed as PS4 cross-gen titles too.  They'll also be getting PS4 releases.

Not surprised at all regarding GOW, but I am surprised that GT7 is also a PS4 game for some odd reason.

Edit: GOW Ragnarok has also been delayed till 2022...

Edited by Dcubed

PlayStation have put up a PlayStation Blog entry formally announcing Team Asobi, with a new studio logo:

Well worth checking out the blog, it's a quick read (but long enough for me to choose against quoting it :p). It mainly touches on the team's philosophy and history. 

Looking forward to their future, Astro's Playroom looked and felt amazing, and hopefully I'll get to check out VR Mission some day when the PSVR2 rolls around! 

Really loved Astro's Playroom, so would love to see them working on a full length (non VR) sequel next!

Edited by Ronnie

Started playing Operation: Tango with a mate last night.

It's a lot of fun. One person is the hacker, the other one is the agent on site. You can't see the other's screen so you gotta talk your partner through everything and figure out things together.

We had one problem, though: I was high as a kite and drunk as all hell :laughing: My contributions may have occasionally killed the agent... :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tried the demo for Scarlet Nexus. Haven't even heard of the game until a few weeks ago and wasn't particularly interested after watching a trailer. But I liked what I got to play in the demo, so I'll probably pick this up at launch. That and INTERmission and Ratchet. Good month.

It's kind of weird that I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to play games like Miles Morales, Forbidden West and Ragnarok because I wasn't planning on getting a PS5. But now it turns out that I don't even have to? 

So Chicory: A Colorful Tale has been showcased in a couple of State of Plays and on the PS blog. Its out today on PS4 and PS5 (as well as PC) and its reviewing extremely well (IGN have given the game a 9, Destructoid a 9.5 as examples). Looks to be one to keep an eye on. I've got it wishlisted on PS5 and was going to wait and see how it faired but think I'll be picking it up sooner rather than later going hy the review scores.

I just had the opportunity to buy a PS5. I popped on to Shopto to see if any more Switch games were up for pre-order and ended up 71st in line. A couple of mins later and I was able to order a console bundle….but I didn’t. I managed to resist the temptation.

I really wanna play Ratchet but I think I would be silly to drop £500+ for a game that I’ll probably have finished in a day or two. Plus, I can see my Switch getting some use over the next 6 months, not to mention that I’ve had an urge to revisit the Wii lately. Yeah, I think I made the right call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just had the opportunity to buy a PS5. I popped on to Shopto to see if any more Switch games were up for pre-order and ended up 71st in line. A couple of mins later and I was able to order a console bundle….but I didn’t. I managed to resist the temptation.

I really wanna play Ratchet but I think I would be silly to drop £500+ for a game that I’ll probably have finished in a day or two. Plus, I can see my Switch getting some use over the next 6 months, not to mention that I’ve had an urge to revisit the Wii lately. Yeah, I think I made the right call.

Sucks because I want your thoughts on those new games and to read about you annihilating Demon's Souls, but I think it's fair, especially as we start to learn that more and more of these games are coming to PS4 too -- I think it could've been the game to help push you over the edge, but I still feel like XVI could go cross-gen. 

If you had a base PS4 I might worry that the console would spontaneously combust (probably a little over-the-top :laughing: though I was seriously concerned with mine playing The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima last summer!), but if I'm remembering right you've got a Pro, so I imagine you should be good. 

Even if the upcoming first party games were PS5 exclusive, we know so little about this second half of the year as it is, and like you said, that E3 Direct gave us all plenty to play. I put through my tentative pre-orders for the next six months or so last night, now that E3 is finished, and though there are some I might change my mind on (the Diamond & Pearl remakes -- I might just replay Platinum :(), I feel like it's a pretty stacked six months we've got ahead of us! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Sucks because I want your thoughts on those new games and to read about you annihilating Demon's Souls, but I think it's fair, especially as we start to learn that more and more of these games are coming to PS4 too -- I think it could've been the game to help push you over the edge, but I still feel like XVI could go cross-gen. 

If you had a base PS4 I might worry that the console would spontaneously combust (probably a little over-the-top :laughing: though I was seriously concerned with mine playing The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima last summer!), but if I'm remembering right you've got a Pro, so I imagine you should be good. 

Yeah, my Pro is still going strong and is pretty much silent. As for me annihilating Demon’s Siuks, I’ve still got Dark Souls 3 and Nioh 2 to have a crack at. Look for my thoughts on at least one of those in the coming months. :D I was actually tempted to start one of these after watching the Elden Ring trailer but instead I’m been ploughing through a bunch of indie games.

To be honest, had the likes of GoW, Horizon 2 and GT7 being exclusive to the PS5  then I probably would have went through with the purchase but with my Pro being fine, there is little reason for me to upgrade, at least at the moment. One of my mates is trying to egg me on into buying one still. I feel he would get on great with @Nicktendo. :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As for me annihilating Demon’s Siuks, I’ve still got Dark Souls 3 and Nioh 2 to have a crack at. Look for my thoughts on at least one of those in the coming months. :D I was actually tempted to start one of these after watching the Elden Ring trailer

Went through the exact same thing! I actually pulled Dark Souls down from its shelf the other day and popped it under the Rift Apart case next to my TV, and I'm staring at it right now. Trying to resist the urge as much as I can as I want to update the Gaming Diary thread first, as once I start Dark Souls I know I won't get around to it for a while, but I feel it calling to me :D

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Went through the exact same thing! I actually pulled Dark Souls down from its shelf the other day and popped it under the Rift Apart case next to my TV, and I'm staring at it right now. Trying to resist the urge as much as I can as I want to update the Gaming Diary thread first, as once I start Dark Souls I know I won't get around to it for a while, but I feel it calling to me :D

giphy.gif

• Haha 1