NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

11 minutes ago, Map said:

Firewall Studios is a lot of ex Destiny Devs.

Blogpost

Interesting! 

I would say that PlayStation's own first parties have been lacking a bit when it comes to putting out multiplayer experiences, and Firewall's involvement suggests to me that it could be a first-person shooter, which is another department they're lacking in a bit at the moment. 

Also: glad they stated it's a new IP. Otherwise I'm sure everyone would be screaming from the rooftops that it's Killzone :laughing:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Julius said:

Also: glad they stated it's a new IP. Otherwise I'm sure everyone would be screaming from the rooftops that it's Killzone :laughing:

Screw Killzone! They need to reboot and bring back the Resistance franchise. 

• Like 3

Hell yeah. The original Resistance was awesome, I lost so many hours to playing that online. Give me the bullseye and I was unstoppable.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Mandalorian-This-Is-The-Way-Quote.jpg?q=

• Like 1

Turned from a one-man to a ca. 30 man-project :o

It does look a little rough here and there but overall...bloody impressive.

• Thanks 2

Pretty insane that even with current supply constraints the PS5 is outselling the PS4 :o

Comparing it to global theatre revenue seems a little bit pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Pretty insane that even with current supply constraints the PS5 is outselling the PS4 :o

Sold 0.2 million more than the PS4, totally insane! :eek:

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Was the PS4 launched during a pandemic, yes or no?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I mean, considering that it goes beyond a typical stock shortage and everyone is still hamstrung by the chip shortage as a result of the pandemic, it is pretty insane that it's still managed to outsell the PS4 :p they've sold all that they've shipped, which is just over half of what they initially projected to have shipped by their year end. And I genuinely think the demand would have been there for it to sell double what it has done, which would have mean doubling the PS4's sales - which is insane! 

Crazy to think that we're all but guaranteed to see record-breaking numbers again next-gen already at this early stage because of this (obviously granted that there isn't another chip shortage some 7 more years down the road for some reason or another). 

Edited by Julius

Fucking Christ, some people really drive me away from posting anything. Not healthy for a forum...
Hope we'll see the ignore function improved to include quoted posts.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Fucking Christ, some people really drive me away from posting anything. Not healthy for a forum...
Hope we'll see the ignore function improved to include quoted posts.

He should have been banned from this topic at the very least long ago. He's not interested in actual discussion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Julius said:

Crazy to think that we're all but guaranteed to see record-breaking numbers again next-gen already at this early stage because of this

"Console gaming is dead" :D 
It's really cool to see that all three big-players keep defying this narrative, which to be honest is a thing of the past. 

Console gaming has been healthy for quite a long time now and I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way for at least 5-10 years. My biggest fear, however, is the transition to a digital only and eventually completely subscription based gaming world. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer ownership. 
Having said that, my digital library is quite large so...I'm part of the problem :p 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

It would be interesting to see just how high these numbers would have been had there not been a pandemic and chip supply shortage. Same goes for the Xbox.

Sony doing well, Microsoft doing well and I imagine Nintendo will post some crazy numbers as well. Good time for gaming, whatever your platform of choice is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Having said that, my digital library is quite large so...I'm part of the problem :p 

There are lots of times you have to go digital due to no physical release, not to mention that digital sales and special offers now often undercut physical releases by a large margin. Gaming on a budget has never been easier thanks to digital. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It would be interesting to see just how high these numbers would have been had there not been a pandemic and chip supply shortage.

Indeed.
For me the relation between "pandemic creating an increase demand" and "pandemic causing supply constraints" is particularly interesting. It's obivous that this pandemic has turned more people to gaming, in turn increasing demand, but I wonder if it's more impactful on numbers than supply constraints.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There are lots of times you have to go digital due to no physical release, not to mention that digital sales and special offers now often undercut physical releases by a large margin. Gaming on a budget has never been easier thanks to digital. 

That's true. Most of my digital library consists of indie games which don't get physical releases very often.

Still, I prefer digital "ownership" (if you can even call it that) over gaming subscriptions. Not to say that I see the value in the latter (I do have a PS+ subscription after all).

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It would be interesting to see just how high these numbers would have been had there not been a pandemic and chip supply shortage. Same goes for the Xbox.

Sony doing well, Microsoft doing well and I imagine Nintendo will post some crazy numbers as well. Good time for gaming, whatever your platform of choice is.

It would have been interesting, but I suspect numbers would still have been crazy high. People had been waiting for the next consoles for a good while and I feel that people are more willing to pay 450 quid these days, the cost of phones in particular has made those prices normal now. Also the ability to play all your old games with an uptick in performance makes the sell much easier at launch. That, and Sony did a really good job of supporting the PS4 with exclusives last gen, to the point that people want the next console to play the next Horizon/God of war etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good time for gaming, whatever your platform of choice is.

PSVita... :( 
I'll never let it go :D 

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Sony did a really good job of supporting the PS4 with exclusives last gen

I think this is the biggest factor for their success. And it's been clear right from the start that PS5 will go a similar way, thankfully.

As long as the price is right I'm starting to favour digital purchases for consoles now. I've been like that for years with PC but I've started to realise that the convience of digital and no discs is becoming more important to me than the worry that I might not be able to play a game far into the future. I'm trying to focus more on enjoying an experience at the time as in the past I've left way too many games in a pile to play later that barely get touched.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Will you just fucking shut up and let people enjoy things. Constantly slating Sony (often with double standards) doesn't make you interesting or funny, it makes you a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed.  It's very rare to see every console platform holder doing well at the same time (don't think this has ever really happened before actually!).  Good times all round :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

It would have been interesting, but I suspect numbers would still have been crazy high. People had been waiting for the next consoles for a good while and I feel that people are more willing to pay 450 quid these days, the cost of phones in particular has made those prices normal now. Also the ability to play all your old games with an uptick in performance makes the sell much easier at launch. That, and Sony did a really good job of supporting the PS4 with exclusives last gen, to the point that people want the next console to play the next Horizon/God of war etc.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that the pandemic caused a higher demand, more that the pandemic caused supply constraints. Basically, I would have loved to have seen how things would have played out had there been stock available on the shelves.

The PS4 to PS5 situation mirrors that of the PS3 to PS4 transition. The consoles get supported right until the end and that gives consumers confidence when buying their next machine.

• Like 1