NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Update on the Japan Studio restructure, from IGN. 

In an effort to further strengthen business operations, SIE can confirm PlayStation Studios JAPAN Studio will be re-organized into a new organization on April 1. JAPAN Studio will be re-centered to Team ASOBI, the creative team behind Astro's PLAYROOM, allowing the team to focus on a single vision and build on the popularity of Astro’s PLAYROOM.

In addition, the roles of external production, software localization, and IP management of JAPAN Studio titles will be concentrated within the global functions of PlayStation Studios.

Pretty much just confirms the news VGC broke before, and in corporate speak, is putting Japan Studio to rest. 

EDD being integrated more into PlayStation Studios directly, with the right support, could be a great way for them to continue supporting third party relations, especially when it comes to projects such as those we've seen Bluepoint handle so far. 

Otherwise, yeah, this still sucks. 

• Sad 1

Damn, it’s even worse than we were expecting... Japan Studio is basically totally dead outside of Team Asobo...

Wow.  End of an era.  Funny to think that Sony now only have two Japanese studios (Team Asobo & Polyphony) against Microsoft’s one (Tango Gameworks).  There really isn’t much to separate them anymore!

Playstation is basically just Xbox now.  It’s a western company for western gamers only.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

According to Bloomberg's Takashi Mochizuki, storage upgrade is being prepared for the summer. 

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Damn, it’s even worse than we were expecting... Japan Studio is basically totally dead outside of Team Asobo...

Wow.  End of an era.  Funny to think that Sony now only have two Japanese studios (Team Asobo & Polyphony) against Microsoft’s one (Tango Gameworks).  There really isn’t much to separate them anymore!

Playstation is basically just Xbox now.  It’s a western company for western gamers only.

Yeah, it blows.

I know the signs of the power shift have been there over the last few years, but still, shuttering Japan Studio isn't what I expected. While PlayStation retains a strong relationship with many of the bigger Japanese third parties, sure, it seems like such a strange move off the back of a generation which saw many Japanese developers return from the brink.

Japan Studio's not profitable for them? They've been in a support role more often than not lately, and they basically got moved to projects where they'd have a smaller role and phased out. I guess it also effectively kills that rumoured RaySpace project which we've heard whispers about over the last few years, unless that's been moved elsewhere too? 

Obviously I'm glad Astro is staying and Team Asobi are in a strong position, but this still blows. Japan Studio, for me at least, became a seal of quality over the last few years with some of the projects they've helped out on. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

According to Bloomberg's Takashi Mochizuki, storage upgrade is being prepared for the summer. 

And people already up in arms. "So it's going to be as loud as a PS4".

Why not just wait and see? :indeed:

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That's a huge overreaction, there's still a lot of Japanese developers releasing games on these systems, even if they're not first party.

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:

And people already up in arms. "So it's going to be as loud as a PS4".

Why not just wait and see? :indeed:

Why would adding a hard drive make it loud as a PS4? The whole cooling setup does not get loud and wouldn't be impacted by the addition of a hard drive.

2 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Why would adding a hard drive make it loud as a PS4?

No idea.
But apparently some people believe it'll be a disaster. ::shrug: 

Edit: I guess the cooling fans will spin faster and in turn be louder. That's why there's some "fear" of the PS5 becoming extremely loud.

Edited by drahkon

Got a PS5 as a birthday gift! Absolutely buzzing - wasn't expecting it all. 

Looking forward to getting stuck into Spiderman Remastered tomorrow, and I'll probably check out God of War now that it's confirmed to have a 60 FPS patch. Hopefully Bloodborne gets one soon.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Looking forward to getting stuck into Spiderman Remastered tomorrow, and I'll probably check out God of War now that it's confirmed to have a 60 FPS patch. Hopefully Bloodborne gets one soon.

Heck yeah, enjoy!

Also: happy birthday! :smile:

• Like 1

Happy Birthday! And try out Astro's Playroom first, it's great.

Any PS4 games you're keen to play in upgraded form?
  • Like 1

PS5 version announced. This, however, is a complete version being sold at full price. No upgrade for the next gen consoles :(

Guess it means I'll buy the remaining DLCs I gotta get for my PS4 version and live with no new Platinum until the PS5 version is on sale :p

Edit: Nevermind...looks like the PS5 (and presumably Switch) version won't be available outside the US...

Edited by drahkon

PS5 version announced. This, however, is a complete version being sold at full price. No upgrade for the next gen consoles

Guess it means I'll buy the remaining DLCs I gotta get for my PS4 version and live with no new Platinum until the PS5 version is on sale

Edit: Nevermind...looks like the PS5 (and presumably Switch) version won't be available outside the US...

Repentance is still releasing on PS4 though right? So can play on PS5 via backwards compatibility. Given the level of graphics in this game I'm unsure if the PS5 version would even be an 'upgrade' over the PS4 version.

38 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Repentance is still releasing on PS4 though right? So can play on PS5 via backwards compatibility.

Yup, but I would like to play the entire game again with a shiny new Platinum to get. A PS5 version would provide one :p

On 28/02/2021 at 8:12 PM, Sheikah said:

Happy Birthday! And try out Astro's Playroom first, it's great.

Any PS4 games you're keen to play in upgraded form?

I've actually got a huge PS4 backlog. I pretty much avoided every AAA title from 2018 onwards because my PS4 got far too loud whilst playing.

I've just ordered The Last of Us 2, but I'm going to hold off playing it until it gets a patch.

2 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I've just ordered The Last of Us 2, but I'm going to hold off playing it until it gets a patch.

If it gets a patch :p

33 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I've actually got a huge PS4 backlog. I pretty much avoided every AAA title from 2018 onwards because my PS4 got far too loud whilst playing.

I'm also waiting for a TLOU2 patch. Haven't played a game at 30 FPS aside from Outer Wilds for a good while now, don't see why a first party wouldn't be providing this upgrade tbh.

4 hours ago, Sheikah said:

don't see why a first party wouldn't be providing this upgrade tbh.

To watch the world burn :p

Optimistic take: free upgrade. 

Pessimistic take: upgrade will be bundled with Factions. 

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Realistic take: We'll never see a patch :p

Well, I think it's inevitable it gets a 4K and/or 60fps version. If not in a patch, it'll be sold as a remaster, but I don't doubt that it's coming in some form. 

Because it's going to be pretty hard to argue against once we've got our hands on a better performing game with the same engine and assets in Factions :p 

But seriously, wouldn't surprise me if they're saving any news on it until we get a major update on Factions. "And for those who have TLOU2, or are playing the game for the first time, the PS5 upgrade will be available later today." Easy marketing tie-in. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check. :p

I actually want a free upgrade with all the PS5-goodness. And a pear.

It looks like I've managed to get a PS5, ordered one from Game yesterday and they've just taken the money so it seems pretty certain I'll have one coming my way. 

It comes bundled with Miles Morales but I would like to play the first Spider Man game first - is there a way to pick up the PS5 enhanced edition digitally or do can you only get it with the Ultimate Edition? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, killthenet said:

It looks like I've managed to get a PS5, ordered one from Game yesterday and they've just taken the money so it seems pretty certain I'll have one coming my way. 

It comes bundled with Miles Morales but I would like to play the first Spider Man game first - is there a way to pick up the PS5 enhanced edition digitally or do can you only get it with the Ultimate Edition? 

Awesome, enjoy! :peace:

And yes there is I believe, you should be able to upgrade to the Ultimate Edition from the in-game menu in Miles (this tweet is from before launch, I think I remember seeing it when I played through it though):

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Still selling like hot cakes.
Seems like supply is slowly but surely increasing.

Edit:

Also not bad.

Edited by drahkon