NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

52 minutes ago, Julius said:

These are shipped numbers and not sold-through, so that shouldn't impact it I don't think?  

Oh, guess I didn’t read it properly. Nah, it won’t. 

So it seems that the western sales increase is offsetting the Japanese sales decrease more or less perfectly so far.

Will be interesting to see if that holds true later on in its life.

That's not good. Before you know it, they're going to advertise it as "the new normal".

• Haha 3

@martinist @Hero-of-Time Tonight and tomorrow should be our best chances yet of getting a PS5 - they'll be available at Argos from 1am and from Very at noon, seems to be quite a substantial restock too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those Silent Hill rumours are back. Again. 

Honestly, as someone who hasn't played any of the Silent Hill games, the big reason I want to see this come to fruition is just because it would mean Konami are willing to play ball with their IP's and let others have a go at it. 

EDIT: And an update on this already; as had been widely rumoured and speculated on for some time now, Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania are planned to be outsourced. 

Konami’s Japanese bosses are understood to have historically pushed back against most pitches to outsource their key games brands, which is a big reason why the Supermassive game wasn’t greenlit.

However, following the disappointing performance of recent in-house titles Metal Gear Survive and Contra: Rogue Corps, sources said the company has become more willing to contract outside studios for its major franchises.

In addition to Silent Hill, sources said that Konami also has plans to work on Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid games via external companies, but any potential releases are still years away.

Important to remember that VGC has had a pretty strong track record over the last year or so, so while as always I'd say take it with a grain of salt, their word is probably going to be as good as anyone else's on this; most prominently, they were the first ones to break actual news on Mario 3D All-Stars last year (that turned out to be accurate and wasn't just wishing of a collection), I'm pretty sure they were on the money with Warzone and its release date soon, and I feel like there was something else that's slipping my mind right now. 

All hypothetical, but what would people want out of Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania being outsourced, if they were? I don't have much of a connection to the latter having not played any of those games (though I imagine many would love a From Software Castlevania), but the obvious choice for Metal Gear Solid would be for it to get the Bluepoint treatment, though in this instance, I'm not exactly sure what that means?

I can't see them giving it an awesome new coat of paint and then just leaving it essentially top-down like it originally was, because I don't think that would be marketable (as someone who would love to introduce MGS to my friends, I don't see them being the types of people to want to play a PS1 game), or even worth doing (as someone that played the game for the first time last year, it holds up surprisingly well apart from its camera). Heck, maybe toggle between third person and top-down. I think you could take everything from that game exactly how it was in terms of story, mechanics, etc., but I think you pivot to third person, maybe using the control scheme and feel from MGS V as a template for that? As far as third person games go, the series is really unique in how it feels (at least to me). Maybe that means recreating it using the Fox Engine (though that seems unlikely now it's seemingly being binned as PES is moving on to Unreal Engine for its next entry), but hopefully it wouldn't mean just making it a generic cover-based shooter. 

Because of the challenge involved in such an undertaking, I would think it's the logical next step for Bluepoint: recreate the atmosphere and look of the original game - and don't dare touch the story - while modernising it's controls for today's audience. 

Edited by Julius

https://www.ifixit.com/News/48944/heres-why-ps5-joysticks-drift-and-why-theyll-only-get-worse

Seems like the DS5 suffers from a very similar design fault as the Switch Joy-Cons...

Sony would do well to nip this in the bud now, before it becomes an unsalvagable problem like on Switch...

Also.  Can we just collectively go back to having Gamecube style control sticks for everyone please? (I mean, Nintendo are still manufacturing them, and they're just as good as their original 2002 counterparts; so it's far from impossible!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so tempted to make a joke about Sony copying Nintendo!

But it's the morning and I can't think of anything remotely witty...

Just now, Glen-i said:

Plus Ashley already made that joke earlier on this page...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

DAMN YOU, MORNING TIREDNESS!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Making Glen the Sony to my Nintendo.

• Haha 4

Interview with Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan: You may have read that we sold 4.5 million PS5s at the end of December – that’s more than we did PS4s in 2013 and that was the high watermark for the PlayStation generation. So, with everything in the world throughout last year, we feel like that was fairly decent. One in four of those who have bought a PlayStation 5 do not have a PS4 and those around about half are new to the PlayStation Network. So it’s really nice that we’re able to bring in people from outside.

That's impressive.

On the PS5 supply/demand-situation:

Obviously in a pandemic supply chains become a little more complicated than would normally be the case. You know, one very visible example is the difficulties in the semiconductor market. You know, whether it’s automobiles, smartphones, PCs or games consoles, the problems in all those areas are very widely documented. We had to move to a distribution model that is entirely online and that’s something that we never had to do before. And, finally, just the level of demand for PlayStation 5. So, you know, all of those things kind of combined. 

We’re working as we always have, but with renewed vigour and energy post Christmas to get supply up, it will increase as each month passes. And the situation will start to get better hopefully quite quickly.  We have been relentless in terms of trying to increase production and I really can’t say any more than that.

[...]

We’re doing our best. I was just looking at the supply figures for the UK – we put a considerable amount of product into the UK market last week. And that will continue over weeks and months to come.

Fair enough. We imagine you’ve got a roadmap for 2021 in terms of the games that you want to release. How fixed is that given the disruptions Covid-19 has caused to development? Returnal recently got pushed back a month.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, we’re feeling pretty good about Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West. And, you know, there are two approaches to this: you can either hold the date and put out the game irrespective of quality or you can ship it when it’s right. We have always taken the latter approach.

That's great to hear. Him not mentioning God of War is a little suspicious :p But I never expected it to arrive this year, anyway.

Great video from iFixit. The joy-con are obviously tiny handheld controllers, so I wasn't expecting the exact same issue to be on the much beefier PS5 one.

“if a PS5 player used their console for two hours a day, they would technically exceed their controller’s operation life expectation within 7 months.”

Oh dear.

Edited by Ronnie

That video suggests it's the same mechanism inside Xbox and Switch Pro controllers as well. So why is it only being reported as a major issue for Joy-cons and Dual Sense, did I miss something?

49 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

That video suggests it's the same mechanism inside Xbox and Switch Pro controllers as well. So why is it only being reported as a major issue for Joy-cons and Dual Sense, did I miss something?

Yeah I've been using the same Pro for four years and never experienced drift. You never hear about it happening to the Pro or Xbox controllers. Could be down to different sized deadzones. 

Not sure if Sony offer a free fix like Nintendo do or if they've even acknowledged the issue yet.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah I've been using the same Pro for four years and never experienced drift. You never hear about it happening to the Pro or Xbox controllers. Could be down to different sized deadzones. 

Not sure if Sony offer a free fix like Nintendo do or if they've even acknowledged the issue yet.

There was a batch of Pro's early on that had the issue (In fact i'm fairly sure it was a limited edition version) but they seemed to have resolved it.

I imagine the issue is simply down to the manufacturing process and the fact that most companies use the same production houses (I.e. FoxConn). 

Funnily enough, my first Gamecube controller still works flawlessly! And I used that several thousand hours of Melee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Why does it matter how the pro controller works. It's a 70£ controller that's not included with the Switch. They joy cons are. You shouldn't have to buy a new controller just to get a working one. Especially since some of them are welded to the freaking pad.

My joy cons failed(left one IIRC) after four months and 200 hours. Contacted the company that distributes Nintendo product on their behalf about my issue. I didn't have the receipt for them anymore, but I referenced the then recent news about Nintendo offering free repair. Didn't keep their reply, but it was big fat no. Read somewhere it only applied to NA.

Then there is this https://www.beuc.eu/publications/beuc-launches-europe-wide-complaint-against-nintendo-premature-obsolescence/html

1 minute ago, Tales said:

Why does it matter how the pro controller works.

Because the current discussion is about how the same faults are appearing on the PS5 and how the parts are identical between all the console manufacturers. Some of us were just surprised that, given this new information, you don't hear it happen with the Pro controller or the Xbox very much.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Because the current discussion is about how the same faults are appearing on the PS5 and how the parts are identical between all the console manufacturers. Some of us were just surprised that, given this new information, you don't hear it happen with the Pro controller or the Xbox very much.

But you do hear about drift issues with both of those, and lawsuits, for whatever they're worth.

Time for another State of Play! This Thursday, a State of Play broadcast will serve up new updates and deep dives for 10 games coming to PS4 and PS5, including new game announcements and updates on some of the third-party and indie titles you last saw in June’s PS5 showcase. 

The show is clocking it at 30 minutes or so, give or take. Can’t wait to hear what you think! And a quick note: there won’t be PlayStation hardware or business-focused updates in this show. We’re focusing on great games set to come out in the months ahead.

10 p.m. UK time.

Ehem. MONSTER TRAIN PLEASE.
(not holding my breath...devs keep saying "we're looking into other platforms"...:()

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Any Gran Turismo fans here?

Well, that kind of blows. It's been a very long time since I've stuck with a Gran Turismo game, so I had been looking forward to this!

That being said, these days, based on recent pedigree, playing Forza is a much more compelling sell to me, and is one of only three reasons I would currently buy an Xbox (the other two being for the backwards compatibility of older Star Wars titles, and to experience the Halo campaigns), so...they better not take too long! :p

Not too surprising, ultimately, though. 2021 always seemed a bit of a stretch, and what they showed off last year was just straight up weird. Fingers crossed things go smoothly moving forwards and we can enjoy this next year! 

Original game development at Japan Studio is winding down, reports VGC.

Their original efforts include Gravity Rush, Knack, and Ape Escape, and in recent years they have been probably most noticed for their role in developing 2018's Shadow of the Colossus and last year's Demon's Souls alongside Bluepoint Games. 

This follows Project Siren/Team Gravity leader Keiichiro Toyama leaving with Sony Japan veterans Kazunobu Sato and Junya Okura to form Bokeh Game Studio late last year. Bloodborne producer Masaaki Yamagiwa also left earlier this week, amongst others. 

According to VGC's sources, this is happening because Japan Studio hasn't been profitable enough in recent years, but also because of the shift in power away from Japan to the US internally at PlayStation over the last half a decade or so. It is unclear at this time what will become of their External Development Department (the team which collaborated last year with Bluepoint on Demon's Souls), but one source suggested it would continue as is. 

ASOBI Team, the studio behind Astro Bot, appears unaffected, and will remain a standalone studio, with some remaining members of Japan Studio being moved over to ASOBI for their next endeavours. 

This sucks. 

Edited by Julius

Loved both of their Gravity Rush games. I guess they're both "too Japanese" and didn't sell that well. Really fun games though.