NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

For those trophy hunters out there: If anyone managed to grab the platinum on No Man's Sky on the PS4 and wants to grab an easy platinum for the PS5 version, download the PS4 version of the game to your PS5. Jump into the game and on the menu for starting a single player game, select the option to import save to the PS5 version (which uploads your save with the platinun data to their servers), uninstall the PS4 version and install the PS5 version, jump into that version of the game and download your save file by clicking the tiny arrow symbol in the bottom left when you get the option between single player and multiplayer and then wait and watch as all the trophies will unlock for the PS5 version without having to actually jump into the game.

Edited by Ganepark32

Grabbed myself a couple more top up cards from ShopTo so I could get Comtrol Ultimate Edition for the PS5 upgrade and then The Messenger. I think those should be it now. Spent much more than I meant to during this console launch.

Edit: Damn, the sale on the messenger ended last night

Edited by Happenstance

Got my console on launch day and to put it simply, its been the best console experience I have ever had. Just using and navigating around is such a joy. Old underperforming games are given a new lease of life or just truly come alive under 60fps.
Very excited to see where things go and very pleased with the dual sense, the new headset and almost everything to do with the ps5.
Only gripes are the lack of vrr (for now), its size (its really obnoxious and stands out but acceptable if this design keeps it quiet) and that i don't have enough time to play.
Glad everyone is having a good time with it.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

External hard drive seems to be running fine, no issues with it and the console or any PS4 games running on it.

Already downloading more games than I should onto it. Mixture of wanting to test out games to see how they run and an urge to replay a load of old stuff. Of course getting it all at once means I’ll only play about 15 minutes of each but I just don’t know any other way 😆 

• Like 1

Having my first PS5 issues now. Playing Miles it glitched out and wouldn’t let me swing or jump, even after a full close and relaunch of the game. Turned the PS5 off completely, came back to it about half an hour later and it crashed on boot. It’s just finished running repair on the console and external hard drive and is now sitting on a black screen for way too long 😬

@Happenstance, I think one of the smaller issues being reported from launch in the US and elsewhere a week and a half ago were to do with an external hard drive being used to transfer PS4 games to the PS5, so if you haven't had any issues up until after using the external hard drive, that could be it? 

Though, I did have an issue with the console on Thursday when it powered itself down without using one, but it was fine shortly after (took less than a minute to have it all back to normal). I've been playing Miles Morales in Performance Mode for NG+ and I've not encountered any issues in this playthrough so far, whereas the power down and three cases of needing to close the app due to the game freezing all occured in Fidelity Mode in my first playthrough. Might be something worth considering too? 

The major issue if I'm remembering right was to do with using Rest Mode, so I've been using it sparingly and otherwise powering down the console after use for now. 

Edited by Julius

30 minutes ago, Julius said:

@Happenstance, I think one of the smaller issues being reported from launch in the US and elsewhere a week and a half ago were to do with an external hard drive being used to transfer PS4 games to the PS5, so if you haven't had any issues up until after using the external hard drive, that could be it? 

Though, I did have an issue with the console on Thursday when it powered itself down without using one, but it was fine shortly after (took less than a minute to have it all back to normal). I've been playing Miles Morales in Performance Mode for NG+ and I've not encountered any issues in this playthrough so far, whereas the power down and three cases of needing to close the app due to the game freezing all occured in Fidelity Mode in my first playthrough. Might be something worth considering too? 

The major issue if I'm remembering right was to do with using Rest Mode, so I've been using it sparingly and otherwise powering down the console after use for now. 

No, my PS4 games were downloaded to the external hard drive.

The rest mode issues seemed to be when people left their games running while going into rest mode so as I don’t do that anyway I’ve been using it as usual.

Given that my issue was with Miles originally then turning it off I’m just assuming it’s a general problem.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

No, my PS4 games were downloaded to the external hard drive.

So you're playing them straight from the hard drive? I think that's also known to have been causing some issues. From PushSquare:

Well, the most common error appears to be the Rebuild Database bug, which we’ve actually encountered ourselves. For us, it occurred when we attempted to boot a PlayStation 4 game from an external HDD about a week or so ago. The console powered down, and an error message appeared on reboot: “The database is corrupted, it will now rebuild.”

And there are quite a few other accounts of people having similar issues when using an external HDD, either through playing the game directly from there, or after transferring games across.

Just thought I'd mention it just in case, either way, hopefully we see some fixes for this rolled out sooner or later :smile:

Starting to think my issue with the system powering down was more related to playing Miles than anything else. Just finished NG+ with zero issues in Performance Mode and the issue wasn't as long as some others I've seen, and the software had issues a good 30+ seconds before the hardware went down. Guess we'll have to wait and see ::shrug:

I’m not sure I’m a fan of the UI here. I feel like I need a bit more time with it, but don’t really understand a lot of the changes from PS4, which IMO, was really great as it was. 

I do think the tiles need to be bigger and I can’t get used to holding the home button to return home. Putting into rest mode seems to be a bit more cumbersome and a lot of flicking to get to the power icon, unless there’s a way to customise that bar at the bottom when you press home that I haven’t found? 

37 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I’m not sure I’m a fan of the UI here. I feel like I need a bit more time with it, but don’t really understand a lot of the changes from PS4, which IMO, was really great as it was. 

I do think the tiles need to be bigger and I can’t get used to holding the home button to return home. Putting into rest mode seems to be a bit more cumbersome and a lot of flicking to get to the power icon, unless there’s a way to customise that bar at the bottom when you press home that I haven’t found? 

Yeah, I still find myself adjusting at the moment to it too. I don't mind the size of the tiles personally, but it'd be great to have the option to have multiple sizes, if nothing else just as an accessibility thing. 

As for the control centre customisation, you can press Options once you've got it up to customise it a bit, in that there are only six things you can opt in and out of having on there (and can't rearrange), so I guess you could get rid of some of those to get across to it fast, but I agree, it's a bit...weird. Heck, just add the option to press R1 to take us to the right of the menu and L1 to the left, like we had on the PS4, but add it to the control centre too? Especially strange after getting so used to holding down the PS button on the DualShock 4 to bring up the side menu! 

Basically, I think it needs to be more customisable :laughing:

8 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah, I still find myself adjusting at the moment to it too. I don't mind the size of the tiles personally, but it'd be great to have the option to have multiple sizes, if nothing else just as an accessibility thing. 

As for the control centre customisation, you can press Options once you've got it up to customise it a bit, in that there are only six things you can opt in and out of having on there (and can't rearrange), so I guess you could get rid of some of those to get across to it fast, but I agree, it's a bit...weird. Heck, just add the option to press R1 to take us to the right of the menu and L1 to the left, like we had on the PS4, but add it to the control centre too? Especially strange after getting so used to holding down the PS button on the DualShock 4 to bring up the side menu! 

Yeah. A lot I’m sure will get ironed out but it just feels like too many steps at the moment. 

First weekend with the PS5 done.  Can't complain about it, did try out Maneater.  Put the disk in, the option to upgrade it to the PS5 version popped up.  Few button presses, and the PS4 version stopped installing and the PS5 version started downloading.  Can't really tell the difference between the 4 and 5 versions outside the better lighting and frame rate.

Had 2 crashes whilst playing (2 crashes in 5 hours of play) but I'm putting it down to the game being buggy.  It had issues on PS4, I'm guessing the same issues have cropped up here.  Frame rate drops a lot as well at times, so there that

Think we'll probably get another stability update this coming week or so, and Insomniac are working on the Spider-Man patches.  Once that's released, I'll move onto this.

9 hours ago, Julius said:

I’m pretty sure you can just press left and it takes you to the other end of the menu, unless I’m going crazy and imagined it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddage said:

I’m pretty sure you can just press left and it takes you to the other end of the menu, unless I’m going crazy and imagined it!

Yep, you can definitely do this.

I really like the new dashboard but I’m constantly getting confused by long press and tap of the PS button and the fact that X and O are now reversed.

Yep, you can definitely do this.
I really like the new dashboard but I’m constantly getting confused by long press and tap of the PS button and the fact that X and O are now reversed.
Isn't it just the Japanese version that has the X and O buttons switched? I think you're just in line with the rest of the world now.

Got mine launch day through a John Lewis preorder. My impressions are positive all round. Much stronger launch than the PS4.

Loving the speed of everything. The UI is excellent so far. Getting used to the newness and testing stuff out. Some stuff like HDR auto on/off and media playback need work but its working well. UHD disks do not play in HDR yet but video quality is looking like it will rival dedicated players.

External storage works absolutely fine and I am using the ethernet connection in my case. No issues noted. Its like a PS4 Pro+ with PS4 games. Loading is the same as PS4 Pro with a SSD. You have access to some PS5 upgrades/versions with some games. Everything PS4 works!

I do have some buzz noise at times which I assume is coil whine. System is quiet though. 

No crashes here.

Edited by Choze
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bob said:

Isn't it just the Japanese version that has the X and O buttons switched? I think you're just in line with the rest of the world now.

Well yeah but it still means I need to get used to something different. Would have preferred they just left it as it was. Or at least give us the option.

1 minute ago, Will said:

Well yeah but it still means I need to get used to something different. Would have preferred they just left it as it was. Or at least give us the option.

I think it's the same as left handed people. You have to treat them like the monsters that they are and eventually change will come.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Will said:

I think it's a weird one for them at the moment with how PlayStation's market in Japan has substantially declined over the last decade or so, and their efforts are definitely being focused overseas these days. I think it's part of their continued attempts to be a worldwide brand vs a Japan-centric one, having it be universal this way means you can buy a PS5 from anywhere and the button configuration will be the same from the start. 

On the other hand, I don't think it's too much to expect them to at least have the option available. But I don't see them changing it or adding the option either to be honest, as it's going to sell anyways ::shrug:

I'd put my PS5 in rest mode and hadn't touched it in a couple of days. Came back to it today to find it off. Turned it on, and had the whole "Your console is being repaired" screen thing again, after it needed repairing on day 1. It's pretty terrible just how unstable the thing is at the moment, clearly rushed to get it out. Really hope this sort of thing isn't doing damage to my system long term.

Anyway, otherwise enjoying it a lot. Spider-Man is as cookie cutter and samey as I expected, I kind of feel like I'm playing the same game from a couple of years ago but never mind. Astro's Play Room is a lot of fun though, even though I've only played the first part of the first proper area.

Controller is fantastic, soooo glad they went the way of Xbox/Switch Pro in terms of the shape/ergonomics, it's way more comfortable than the DS4. Don't really notice anything special about the haptics in Spider-Man but in Astro it's awesome. Let's hope games use it going forward.

UI is ok, needs a ton of work. Not a fan of the tiny icons on the home screen and the card system isn't particularly interesting to me.

Something that always bugged me on PS4 is how it took ten seconds between pressing the screenshot button and the sound telling you it took one, it always made me wonder exactly when the screenshot was taken, and was I able to take multiple in quick succession. Anyway it seems a bit better here, even though there's still a delay on the pop up notification for some reason.

• Like 1

Didn’t know that pressing and holding the mute button on the controller muted all gaming noise from tv and controller itself...! Pretty neat. 

Playing No Man's Sky on PS5 is a marvel.

Just spent about an hour doing the first few quests and I gotta say: It's nice to have a lot of the game's mechanics streamlined and being taught to you. The devs really thought about a lot and took the criticism they got to heart. Props to them :peace:

This is where I'm at right now:

xLkeZ6v.jpg

High temperature planet with Sentinels. Great :D

Just learned how to create a base. Since I'm a creative genius, there was only one choice: A simple hut :laughing:

Thank goodness for the PS5 patch. The game runs smooth, looks gorgeous (well, the planet is ugly as fuck, though) and the DualSense features are awesome.

Convinced a mate to get this for his PS4. Can't wait to explore and build with him. :peace:

• Like 3

So I had my release dates mixed up and thought it was releasing next week but turns out Haven, the next game by The Game Bakers who made the fantastic Furi, is out tomorrow on PS5 (as well as PC and Xbox consoles). Anyone picking it up?

I played the demo through the summer on Xbox and enjoyed what I played, leaving me intrigued enough to jump in for more and though its releasing on Gamepass for Xbox consoles, I'm set to pick it up tomorrow as Twin Mirror from Dontnod (which I was set to buy) looks like it might be a bit of a dud. And plus, with having got Furi through PS+ and really enjoying that, they're more than deserving of my money if this ends up anywhere near as good as that was. Curious to see how it plays out long term gameplay wise but looking forward to jumping in. And there's also more music from Danger in the game so what's not to like.

Its releasing at a price point of $24.99/€24.99 so not bad price wise. Expecting to match that in £ but would be pleasantly surprised to see it hit £19.99.