NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Just had my first crash a couple of hours into Miles Morales: game froze while stealthing but would still let me turn the camera, sound cut out, game fully froze, and then light on the console went out and disconnected. Welp. 

Turned it back on, seems to be fine (nice to be able to hop back in super quickly, that's for sure!), but I felt around the console and it definitely felt warmer than it should be (not hot, by any means) in some places.

Just a heads-up to you guys, would not be surprised if we saw another firmware update the other side of the weekend though. 

That was scary. 

EDIT: took Miles out not too long after so I can eat, and figured I might as well install Demon's Souls. That disc was pretty hot, wonder if it was something to do with the disc drive getting too warm? Hmm. 

Edited by Julius
  • Sad 1

Here's hoping you don't have faulty a console @Julius

Been playing Astro's Playroom and also dabbled a bit with some PS4 games just to try the BC out and the air coming out of the console is cold. Surely that's good :D
There's a small spot on the PS5 that's a little warm, but that's to be expected.

No problems for me. Knock on wood :p

Still can't believe how much of a game changer the DualSense is. Haven't had this much wonder with gaming since I've tried VR for the first time.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Down to about 200 gigs left now in storage and probably still have some more games I’d like to download. I’ll definitely be picking up a nice external hard drive next week during the Black Friday sales.

The controller really is fantastic. Playing Astro's Playroom with it is a delight. 

Really like the UI but going to have to get used to doing a long press for the main home screen, opposed to the short press for the quick menu bar. Got all my media apps downloaded - noticed quite a few of them were technically PS4 apps being used through backwards compatibility! 

Played a couple of hours of Spider-Man Remastered and having a lot of fun with it so far - it really is just like the Batman Arkham games, isn't it? 

Very happy so far. Looking forward to a full day of play tomorrow 😁

• Like 2

Well I got woken up at 2am this morning by the PS App on my phone telling me some games were installed and ready to play. I like that feature buts it’s definitely going on mute!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

going to have to get used to doing a long press for the main home screen, opposed to the short press for the quick menu bar

The worst thing about the PS5...it's driving me insane how long it's taking me to get used to that :laughing:

Mine turned up this morning :). 7:20am! 

Looking forward to trying this controller out. Won't have any time today til at least 8pm ish but at least theres the weekend! 

• Like 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

Anyone know where the “time played” counter is shown?

In your profile under Games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, drahkon said:

In your profile under Games.

That disgusting realisation looking through those that I probably put well over 500 hours in across FIFA games last gen is killing me. And nearly 200 hours into the emptiest Star Wars Battlefront game. 

EA owns my soul. 

On the upside, seeing Dragon Quest XI as my most played game outside of those was a bit of a relief :laughing:

Edited by Julius

Picked mine up from GAME around lunchtime yesterday.  Was chatting with the staff, apparantly the queue from 11pm Wednesday stretched from the store right down the high street.  They said they were still selling PS5's until 1:30am, compared to the Xbox Series X/S which they closed the store by half 12.  Carrying it home, yep the box was heavy and my arm ached afterwards.

First impressions of the machine.  Outside of it's huge (because it is, it dwarfs over my works laptop) is it's a good machine.  Compared to the noise of the PS4, it's much quieter.  Have followed some guidelines online from people who said what to avoid for the time being (wired LAN, external drives and rest mode).  However, did use rest mode to install Destiny 2 and Gran Turismo Sport with no issues.  I'm fully expecting a few firmware updates in the coming weeks to sort things, so at least i can use the external drive for my PS4 titles.   The haptic feedback on the DualSense is unreal, with the same company behind it as the HD rumble on the Switch it's certainly a good thing.  Playing Astro Playroom yesterday for a bit, the controller and audio is something else.

Got a full weekend ahead of gaming, so there's that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zell said:

Got an email from Hermes saying they had received my PS5, it's with the courier and will be delivered today. Six minutes later I get another email from Hermes saying they won't be able to deliver today. :blank:

Well in the end the guy showed up with my PS5 at half 9 last night. Bloke looked a bit disgruntled and after he left I noticed the box had been dropped in what looked like cat poo. Not exactly 5 star service but at least I have my PS5.

Managed to set up my PS5, move everything across and play about 15 minutes of Astro.

Initial impressions:

• The console is mega chonks
  • The Dual Sense is a great step up from the DS4. You could tell just from picking it up for the first time that it felt premium and a good built quality, something I've never felt about any of the incarnations of Dual Shock
  • The haptic feedback is excellent, feels even better than the Switch's HD rumble and that's no knock on the HD rumble at all. Perhaps it's just that Astro makes such good use of it that is really highlights its capability
  • I'm not so fond of how the controller's speaker is used in Astro. I get what they were trying to do (combine the rumble with the speaker sound) but the problem with a controller speaker is the audio quality is always going to be worse than what comes out of the TV
  • Really impressed with the technology in the triggers. Ironically since I'm not used to it yet its a bit immersion breaking since every time it's used in Astro I remember that I'm holding a controller. But I can see how amazing it could be in shooters and racing games where it's used a bit more subtly. The cynic in me is saying that it will lazily be used in QTEs (I'm imagining the next God of War game a QTE scenario where instead of hammering X to lift a boulder you will be using the triggers)  
  • Moving over the my stuff from PS4 was surprisingly quick
  • UI is nice and simple, feels way smoother/quicker than PS4

Looking forward to the end of today so I get to play it more over the weekend.

11 minutes ago, Julius said:

EA owns my soul. 

Activision owns mine...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - 664 hours
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 599 hours
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 89 hours
Call of Duty: WWII - 449 hours
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII - 232 hours
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 284 hours

That's 96 days (!) of my life spent with Call of Duty :laughing:

• Haha 1

Does seem weird that the tracking is retroactive so Sony had the time played for PS4 games as well and just never let us see it until now.

My morning meeting got cancelled so I took it out the box and plugged it all in. Haven't turned it on though. 

I know a lot has been said of its appearance already, but I think it's horrible to look at. Thankfully I didn't buy it for its aesthetics and it can get shoved under my TV bench which is exactly where it's going! :D

Haven't experienced any haptics yet as not turned on, but early controller impressions are very positive. Really nice feel in hand, perfect weight and love the feel of the buttons which are more shallow than the Xbox buttons. Big tick.

Can't wait to turn it on and try it out. 

Tried No Man's Sky (for the 800th) time just now.

The PS5 upgrade is quite transformative. It looks gorgeous and runs at 60fps. The adaptive triggers also add a bit of depth to the game (e.g. the right trigger starts to resist when you use the multitool to mine things for too long) :D

Speaking of 60fps. After playing Astro's Playroom and now this it was really difficult to go back to Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and its locked 30fps...can't see myself ever playing a game in fidelity/beauty/awesome graphics mode if it runs at 30fps.

Downloading Days Gone from the PS+ Collection. Always wanted to give it a go and there's no better time than now :p
Will try to convince my sister and her boyfriend to lend me their copy of Ghost of Tsushima :D

Edited by drahkon

22 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

Anyone seen any good deals about for Plus? I might end up waiting to see if there are any Black Friday deals for that as I haven't personally come across a good price this week. 

12 months is currently on sale at Shopto for £32.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

12 months is currently on sale at Shopto for £32.

Perfect! Thanks a lot Hero! 

I ordered the shopto one this morning but not been able to get the code yet. Everything i try to it says it can't connect to Sony right now.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I ordered the shopto one this morning but not been able to get the code yet. Everything i try to it says it can't connect to Sony right now.

Scratch that, apparently it was just on my ipad and phone that it wasn't working.

Really enjoyed playing through Astro's Playroom last night, thought the throwbacks to past Sony products and nostalgia was excellent.

I've also found an issue that many other UK peeps seem to be experiencing - the option to upgrade Assassins Creed Valhalla (PS4 disc version) to the PS5 version is missing (others have said this is also happening with Watch Dogs). There is a workaround that involves using a Turkish account but I'd rather not try that yet, especially as I don't know how that would work with potential future UK DLC packs.

Phew well thats a relief!

I noticed yesterday my PS5 was getting noisy when I put Demons Souls on, not PS4 noisy but a concern.  Was doing it earlier today too but has now stopped. So if it was coil whine its fixed itself (I think).

I just failed a Spider-Man mission (let Rhino escape) and the game presumably began to reload the checkpoint and crashed. Just had a black screen for over two minutes with a non responsive controller. I’ve turned off from the console but the controller and ps5 light stayed white. Left it like that 15 mins and it was the same so had to pull the power lead out. 

It’s come back on ok, but bit annoying. Early bugs I guess! 

• Sad 1

After a super busy week at work I’ve not had chance to set up my PS5 yet, didn’t want it to be a rushed hour late at night so decided to wait till the weekend. Was relieved it arrived safe and sound on Thursday though after hearing some horror stories, demand seems to be off the charts for this thing.

My new tv arrives today as well so will probably set it all up together now. Looking forward to diving in over the weekend, all your impressions of Astro and the DuelSense sound great!

• Like 3