NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

*picks up PS4 and goes and sits in the corner*

*joins H-o-T in the PS4 corner*

Want to play some Monster Hunter World? :D

• Haha 3

Apparently ShopTo have changed the state of my PS5 pre-order from "Dispatching after release" to "Confirmed for day one"

Sent a ticket to confirm, would be nice to actually get it on release after that debacle they put me through.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

*picks up PS4 and goes and sits in the corner*

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

*joins H-o-T in the PS4 corner*

Want to play some Monster Hunter World? :D

Urgh, get a room :p

5 minutes ago, martinist said:

Sent a ticket to confirm, would be nice to actually get it on release after that debacle they put me through.

Fingers crossed :peace:

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It seems like they absolutely nailed the console. However, my biggest issue is the launch line up and it's why i'm happy to sit on the sidelines until things get fleshed out a little more. I respect that they are supporting the PS4 and PS5 with the same games but when I invest in a new console I want my exclusives. I imagine I will pick mine up when Ratchet arrives. Come to think of it, I don't think i've ever bought a Sony console or handheld at launch. I've always waited at least 6 months. 

Smart move. :cool: I was late to the party for both PS3 and PS4, which obviously meant cheaper hardware plus way more games that I was interested in playing.  

No plans to get a PS5 though, especially since I’ve returned to PC for my non-Nintendo gaming needs. So far I’m very happy with that decision too, games are a bit cheaper, no subscription required to play them online, and I don’t need to worry about Sony’s political correctness/censorship :hehe: or you know... them randomly deleting a game from their servers for no good reason. That’s right, I still haven’t forgotten about The Tomorrow Children:nono:

• Like 2

Very nice to hear that BC seems good so far.  Was expecting a bit of a train wreck after Sony’s silence & pussyfooting communication surrounding the matter!

• Like 1

Got the notifications from my bank a few minutes ago that GAME has started charging my account :bouncy: doesn't look like there'll be any issues there as I was concerned about! Thank goodness...

Watched a few videos, but didn't want to dive too deep. So far it's been the Easy Allies impressions video, their review of Miles Morales, Digital Foundry's backwards compatibility video, and Greg Miller's UI walkthrough for Kinda Funny, all of which I really enjoyed. Don't think I'll be checking out too much more before release, probably just the Digital Foundry stuff on Miles Morales and Demon's Souls, and the EZA review for Demon's Souls probably, too; judging from us not getting Demon's Souls reviews today, I guess that's what they'll be saving until next Tuesday to get in on the next-gen hype with the launch of the Series X | S, which would be a smart move. 

7 hours ago, drahkon said:

Edit: Then again:

PS5 Tells You How Long You've Played Games--Including Previous PS4 Play Time

Source

Yeah 3D audio, adaptive triggers, and haptic feedback are all interesting, but this is actually the thing which put a massive grin on my face when I see your post earlier. I'm stupidly excited for this, and I know I shouldn't be. They're just numbers! But then, I do love numbers... :D

Doesn't seem to be there for all games just yet (in the Greg Miller UI walkthrough he has a friend at 58% of trophies on Overwatch and it says they've only played for 2 hours...I mean, that would be very efficient, but I doubt it :laughing:) but it's my favourite feature of the 3DS and the somewhat limited capacity it was in place for looking back at hours spent on the Wii in the calendar (I always loved getting the Wii out every summer and reminiscing about the Christmas I opened it, looking at the ridiculous number of hours spent on Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii Sports Resort). Would love if they added a calendar at some point to this for that reason too! :p

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It seems like they absolutely nailed the console. However, my biggest issue is the launch line up and it's why i'm happy to sit on the sidelines until things get fleshed out a little more. I respect that they are supporting the PS4 and PS5 with the same games but when I invest in a new console I want my exclusives. I imagine I will pick mine up when Ratchet arrives. Come to think of it, I don't think i've ever bought a Sony console or handheld at launch. I've always waited at least 6 months. 

Hope you guys who are getting it at launch enjoy your new console. I look forward to reading all about your PS5 adventures in a couple of weeks time. :peace:

Playing on a base PS4 is honestly the main reason I've been hellbent on an upgrade, because boy have some games chugged on it over the last two years or so. Swear I've been in airports quieter than my room the first time I booted up VII Remake and The Last of Us Part II :laughing: I would want to say I would've done the sensible thing like you H-o-T, and waited if I had a Pro or wasn't super interested in the exclusives (having not played a Souls game and loving to start from the beginning when I dive into a new series or genre though, Demon's Souls was definitely a massive draw for me too), but at the same time, knowing myself...I don't think I would have waited particularly long and would have just jumped on the second wave of pre-orders anyway! 

Hope Ratchet doesn't take too long to drop so that you can join us on the dark side sooner rather than later! :p 

• Like 2

Seems like some good news for those going digital. 

Worth noting that it was tested while connected with an ethernet cable, so the new WiFi chip wouldn't come into play in this scenario. Of course varies depending on your internet download speed, but some five to eight times faster is still a remarkable improvement over the download speeds of the PS4. 

• Like 1

Digital Foundry have just put up their UI tour:

And GameXplain has put up a Q&A:

Reading around, it seems the most disappointing thing could potentially be the DualSense's battery life, but mainly because it is going to wildly fluctuate depending on your use of its unique new features and the game which you are playing.

I've read that settings such as haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are automatically configured at max settings from the start, and so something like Astro's Playroom (filled to the brim with uses for these new features) will likely be the fastest way to drain the battery, as it doesn't seem like it would last much longer than the length of that game on a full charge (reportedly 5 - 6 hours of playtime from the controller in this particular game). But then, something like Miles Morales, which will have fewer uses throughout of the DualSense's main features when compared with Astro's, apparently can last anywhere from 8 - 13 hours, a slight improvement on the DualShock 4's, but still, I had personally hoped for a bit more. 

I can only imagine it being a similar case for Demon's Souls, and of course while you can turn these settings down, when they're the main selling points of the controller, it does seem like a little bit of a letdown that the controller doesn't last much longer than the DualShock 4 would. Not the biggest deal in the world, and by no means a deal breaker, but it's the only thing that I've seen brought up which has given me pause. Just means I need to cross my fingers harder that PlayStation bring out their own higher end controller down the line! :p

• Like 1

Trophy lists have started going up.

Don't plan on having a look myself, but saw someone mention there are only a few additional trophies for the Spider-Man Remaster, and apparently the Demon's Souls list seems less of a grind than its PS3 counterpart? That's pretty cool. 

We're so close now. Just 11 days over here in Europe, and 4 elsewhere! :bouncy: 

Edited by Julius

Cant wait. Would be a great way to end this year!

With Covid we need stuff to keep ourselves sane.

Edited by Choze

Don't plan on having a look myself, but saw someone mention there are only a few additional trophies for the Spider-Man Remaster, and apparently the Demon's Souls list seems less of a grind than its PS3 counterpart? That's pretty cool. 
As someone who got the platinum in Demon's Souls, I can tell you that this does indeed look a lot easier. Getting the pure bladestone in the original game for the trophy was bullshit.

Digital Foundry's final console review is up:

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:
6 hours ago, Julius said:

As someone who got the platinum in Demon's Souls, I can tell you that this does indeed look a lot easier. Getting the pure bladestone in the original game for the trophy was bullshit.

Haven't played the game before but I've heard bits and pieces thrown out on podcasts, is this to do with rare item drops? 

Because yeah, if there was a trophy attached to that...that is nonsense, and I'm glad it got removed! It's rare I go hunting for trophies anyways, but when I have, the worst ones have been RNG, item grinding related stuff. Which sounds even worse in a game known for its difficulty! 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-11-06-playstation-5-critical-consensus

Excellent reviews/impressions for the PS5. Still I am awaiting afew more game reviews and impressions from the launch lineup.

Didnt realise, but looks like Microsoft released their new consoles with zero ground up next gen games. That inbuilt WD SSD is also way below the 'spec' they were touting. 

Edited by Choze

It looks like the PS5 is getting rave reviews from critics, and deservedly so. It's a true next generation machine, and I haven't seen people this blown away by a console since the 360 and the transition to HD.

The only *mild disappointment* is the controller battery life but the fact that many outlets are claiming that the controller is a true game changer is fantastic news. In recent years, we've had Nintendo try to simply their controllers but what Sony have done is take the existing DualShock and innovate on it. Really exciting stuff.

Oh, I've not read what the battery life is going to be. I was hoping for 40 hours like the Switch Pro. As long as it's better than the ridiculous 6 hours on the DS4.

2 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

In recent years, we've had Nintendo try to simply their controllers but what Sony have done is take the existing DualShock and innovate on it.

I wouldn't say Nintendo simplify their controllers, they innovate all the time. Rumble and analog sticks on the N64, analog triggers on the Gamecube, speakers and motion control on the Wii, the whole Gamepad as a concept on Wii U, and now removable joy cons with HD rumble, an IR camera on the Switch.

Great to see both new consoles getting good reviews though, exciting!

Can't wait for next Thursday now. The console and controller does sound pretty incredible, I can see it doing really well. They built up some really good exclusives and good will during the PS4's life and PS5 looks set to be a continuation of that.

The vast reduction of load times is something that's long overdue, I feel like it's going to make last gen feel archaic in that sense. I might see to selling my PS4 Pro now...seems like you can get around 200 quid for it on eBay and there doesn't seem to be any reason to keep it now.

10 days! :bouncy:

New ad:

Worth noting: Gran Turismo 7,  Ratchet & Clank, and Returnal are all anticipated for the first half of 2021, and Horizon Forbidden West is anticipated for the second half of 2021. 

EmYVWdtXMAALQP2?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Oh, I've not read what the battery life is going to be. I was hoping for 40 hours like the Switch Pro. As long as it's better than the ridiculous 6 hours on the DS4.

Do you type this comment out each time, or do you have it saved to the clipboard for easy access?
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Worth noting: Gran Turismo 7,  Ratchet & Clank, and Returnal are all anticipated for the first half of 2021

Oh that’s great news! I was expecting a long wait for GT7.