NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

OK, so they will play straight from the disk. Just need to know what games are boosted now.

14 minutes ago, Ike said:

Just need to know what games are boosted now

If you can find a list of games with uncapped framerate then you have your answer.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

If you can find a list of games with uncapped framerate then you have your answer.

Oh, yeah. Good point. 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

I don’t like that answer. Not one bit. 

I want my Bloodborne at high framerate and low frame time instead of the other way round. 

Good news.  However, this...

• playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience

... is a pretty dang big asterisk.  The last part in particular isn’t exactly brimming with confidence!

Hopefully this is more of a PS1-PS2 situation than an Xbox-Xbox 360 situation.

Edited by Dcubed

8 hours ago, Nolan said:

I don’t like that answer. Not one bit. 

I want my Bloodborne at high framerate and low frame time instead of the other way round.

Pretty sure we all do, but the PS5 itself can't change that.
If a game doesn't have uncapped framerate the "brute force approach" won't magically increase FPS. Both PS5 and the new XBox can't do it.

It'll be up to the devs to unlock the framerate.

You can be sure, however, that games capped at 30 fps which suffer from unstable framerate will run at a constant/stable 30 fps on the new consoles.

On 07/10/2020 at 4:32 PM, Aneres11 said:

Not sure if already posted. Apologies if so. 

Change to the Trophy system. About bloody time too! 

Sounds great now. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/#sf238573826

Somewhere a  Hero of Time just stirred...

On 07/10/2020 at 1:39 PM, drahkon said:

Turn on CC.

EeFa2NJ.png

:D

I know pretty much nothing about how any of this works, but it sure looks nice.

Removing the side panels seems to be very easy. Good for those who don't like the colour and want to replace them eventually.
Also: The side panels are pretty much the things that make this console so large. Without 'em it doesn't seem that big.

OK actually just watched this. Felt slightly sexy. Madness how much is being put into the cooling side - the machine must be running some beast stuff. A lot of on board/chip stuff but the spacing and knowledge its parallel chips(did they actually say 448 Gbps??) is interesting. My only concern is if things go wrong(tho those easy dust collectors and absolute madness of a heatsink is crazy cool...no pun :p) and also did they say the hard drive was an on board chip so if so what's the deal about the suggestion of previous about aftermarker hard drives and where do they go? In the noted expansion slot??

OK actually just watched this. Felt slightly sexy. Madness how much is being put into the cooling side - the machine must be running some beast stuff. A lot of on board/chip stuff but the spacing and knowledge its parallel chips(did they actually say 448 Gbps??) is interesting. My only concern is if things go wrong(tho those easy dust collectors and absolute madness of a heatsink is crazy cool...no pun :p) and also did they say the hard drive was an on board chip so if so what's the deal about the suggestion of previous about aftermarker hard drives and where do they go? In the noted expansion slot??
Don't have sex with your PS5!

They might have found someone a bit bigger so that the PS5 wasn't the same size as his entire torso! :laughing:

ps5.jpg

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bob said:
34 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Don't have sex with your PS5!

Excuse you mate its a brand new console and I'm not sure if I'm gonna trust you over the professionals I read the very clear disclaimer and saw nothing of the sort;

Screenshot-20201010-094212-Chrome.jpg

I think it's safe to say this will be absolutely fine. #SexierThanXBox

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

Yeah, the SATA slot is for regular SSDs (not propriety ones, although I'm sure someone will market theirs as a PS5 one). The only limitation is that they have to be at least the same speed as the PS5 SSD.

Current list of suitable SSDs:

-

(Over time there will be some, and they'll get cheaper over the next couple of years).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Cube said:

Current list of suitable SSDs:

-

Well, there is at least one:

western-digital-ssd-1.original.jpg

• Like 1

The list of incompatible PS4 games on PS5 will get even smaller.
Both DWVR and TT Isle of Man 2 will receive a patch to make the games work on the next-gen console.

I don't care either way, but good on the devs :D

The list of incompatible PS4 games on PS5 will get even smaller.
Both DWVR and TT Isle of Man 2 will receive a patch to make the games work on the next-gen console.
I don't care either way, but good on the devs

Presumably they didn't like being singled out in a negative way.

Still, I guess it's a bit of free advert for them!

That's actually really nice.

Only issue is that I'm not s fan of the interface not pausing the game. 

My thoughts:

• seems like a logical evolution of the PS4's UI
  • slick and clean design - love it
  • the integration of those game activities into the OS is ridiculously cool
  • PS+ members being able to get hints directly via the UI is great - and having picture-in-picture videos available is such a cool accessibility feature
  • speaking of picture-in-picture: I can watch my mates play a game like this? Amazing. This is something I'm really looking forward to as I actually really like watching my mates play (and fail :p) (Edit: Just thought of how awesome co-op games will be with this :o)
  • games appear to load insanely fast - as expected, but it's just nice to see
  • in general: It just looks next-gen, both visually and regarding the features

I'm impressed. Here's hoping they'll show more every week now. :D

9 minutes ago, Cube said:

Only issue is that I'm not s fan of the interface not pausing the game. 

It's something that I find weird on PS4...some games pause, some games don't ::shrug:

Edited by drahkon

Definitely a fan, seems to have everything you’d want in a logic layout and the new features seem cool. Can definitely see myself chatting with a friend while we both play our own games while watching them in the PIP mode. The activities look really cool too, if those are linked in with achievements (which it seemed like they are) I can see it being a great addition to the system.

Glad the store is integrated into the UI too, always found it a pain having to load it up on it’s own, seems much easier like this. A very minor thing but one I definitely appreciate.

1 minute ago, Will said:

Glad the store is integrated into the UI too, always found it a pain having to load it up on it’s own, seems much easier like this. A very minor thing but one I definitely appreciate.

Yeah, the PS4 store app is horrible :D Especially compared to what recent XBox consoles are offering.
But with the PS5 it'll be much better :peace:

Eurogamer put out an article about the UX:

Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface

15 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's something that I find weird on PS4...some games pause, some games don't ::shrug:

I wonder if developers are able to control how a game reacts.

I'd love for a game to pause but carry on effects and idle animations. Like the enemies chatting with the character, checking watches and stuff like that.

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, the PS4 store app is horrible :D Especially compared to what recent XBox consoles are offering.
But with the PS5 it'll be much better :peace:

I actually prefer the PS4s approach to the store to the Xbox one. It feels like a lot of my dashboard is taken up with adverts in the One, whereas the only time I see anything like that on the PS4 is when there's a new sale (which can just be deleted and never seen again)

I feel like the One (and Microsoft in general, if Forza is anything to go by) is always badgering me to spend more money.

Just now, Goafer said:

I actually prefer the PS4s approach to the store to the Xbox one. It feels like a lot of my dashboard is taken up with adverts in the One, whereas the only time I see anything like that on the PS4 is when there's a new sale (which can just be deleted and never seen again)

I feel like the One (and Microsoft in general, if Forza is anything to go by) is always badgering me to spend more money.

Can't comment on that.

I've just seen my sister's boyfriend open the store on his Xbox One and it was much smoother than the PS4 app.

Hmmm a bit underwhelming for me.

Not a fan of the split menus, one for in-game one for the home screen, especially as they have a different designs. It's all just needlessly convoluted. I was actually really confused with the way they started on the game screen at first, I assumed that was the home screen of the console. The actual home screen seems pretty badly designed, really weird use of space. Games stuck in a small corner of the screen, then a huge gap underneath with a small game logo.

I love the store being integrated into the OS though, that's cool, a bit strange how they refused to actually show anything of it though.

More confusing messaging... these "Activities" they mentioned, are they the same as Trophies? I assume so cause they showed percentages etc. It's cool how you can click one and be taken straight to that bit in the game, though I can imagine that's only for a select few games. I await Geoff Keighley's clarification...

Edited by Ronnie

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

More confusing messaging... these "Activities" they mentioned, are they the same as Trophies? I assume so cause they showed percentages etc. It's cool how you can click one and be taken straight to that bit in the game, though I can imagine that's only for a select few games. I await Geoff Keighley's clarification...

As I saw it activities are chunks of a game, so could be “Level 1”, “Get the Sword”, “Multiplayer Race” and will be pre-set areas to jump straight into. Some of those could be associated with trophies (as in completing them gets you one) but not all of them. They’re a way of jumping to specific parts of a game without going through in-game menus.

They should be part of every PS5 game, Sony have been pushing this in the past as an integrated part of the entire eco-system.

Edited by Will