NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

So the thought popped into my head last night and I'm not sure if its been discussed previous or not but thought I'd see what everyone thinks: do we think Sony will include a PS5 title in the November PS+ lineup or do we think they'll stick with offering up the PS+ Collection to get started out of the gate before adding PS5 games in down the line?

With the PS4, Resogun and Contrast we the titles for the first month at the launch of that console so they have included new games at the launch with PS+. But the announcement of the PS+ Collection does make me wonder if they'll not do it this time as we'll be getting 18 PS4 games included as part of the collection, which will presumably have more titles added and stuff being removed as the months and years go on.

Not that I'd complain if it was simply the Collection with no PS5 PS+ titles until a little down the line but just curious how they'll handle it out of the gate in light of that announcement.

If they do go with PS5 titles added to PS+ at launch, I'd suspect that it'll be indie games over bigger titles but I'm no entirely sure what those games would be. Giant Squid didn't give a price for The Pathless and instead have said to wait until the end of the month for that news. Could that possibly be a PS+ title at launch? The game is going out on Apple Arcade so presumably they would be open to it given that there would be a similar deal with Sony to get the game on there compared to Apple Arcade. Guarantees the success of the game before its even launched.

Anyway, thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Could that possibly be a PS+ title at launch?

The devs said no.

I'm not expecting any PS5 title on PS+ for a while. It'll most likely continue to consist of PS4 titles (which will also be playable on PS5, of course). My guess is: The first true PS5 game on PS+ will arrive in August next year.

Edited by drahkon

The PS+ Collection seems a bit of a slap in the face to their biggest fans, who've surely already played all those games. Sure there'll be a handful they've not played but it seems a lot lower value in that case compared to new gen games each month. Not sure if you can subscribe to just their online service without the PS+ Collection, if so then that's not so bad I guess, just a shame.

Edited by Ronnie

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The PS+ Collection seems a bit of a slap in the face to their biggest fans, who've surely already played all those games. Sure there'll be a handful they've not played but it seems a lot lower value in that case compared to new gen games each month. Not sure if you can subscribe to just their online service without the PS+ Collection, if so then that's not so bad I guess, just a shame.

I think the primary purpose of the PS+ Collection is to entice people over who had an Xbox last gen and so never got to play these exclusive games. When you look at it that way it's kind of a fantastic package that can tempt people over.

Sony also said The PS+ Collection was a bonus thing you get, so it's not replacing the Plus games each month. That said, as @drahkon mentioned, don't expect to see full PS5 games in it for a while. We saw this at the start of the PS4 generation; it takes a while before they start giving away those sorts of games.

Edited by Sheikah

Oh ok if you also get a set of free Plus games every month then that's good, I got the impression from their marketing that this was replacing that.

22 hours ago, drahkon said:

The devs said no.

I'm not expecting any PS5 title on PS+ for a while. It'll most likely continue to consist of PS4 titles (which will also be playable on PS5, of course). My guess is: The first true PS5 game on PS+ will arrive in August next year.

Ah didn't see that. That crosses that off the list then. Weird that they haven't announced the price yet but they're saying they'll have more to say soon on pre-orders and such so I do wonder if the Apple Arcade deal they're locked into is making them a bit more cagey about announcing pricing for The Pathless.

Yeah, I'm not expecting big AAA games out the gate for PS+ on PS5. That looks to be reserved for the Collection for the time being at least which is still great value especially given the games that they're putting on there day 1. Totally fine with that and happy with the Collection because with going digital, I obviously won't be bringing the majority of the games in that collection across to PS5 with having bought and played them physically. It gives someone like me a chance, should I want to, to replay those games which is something I'll happily do for the likes of God of War.

I'm not expecting any AAA or even AA games for at least a year on PS+ but do wonder if they've got some smaller indie titles lined up. Whether that be for launch or a couple of months down the line, I don't know but I could see them having some cross gen indie titles there for the service and framing them in the way they did for some of the early PS+ titles on PS4 by saying that you can play them either on PS4 or of you've upgraded, you'll get access to the free upgrade to the version for that console. Thats at least where I think they'll fall for PS+ for the first year, indies predominantly.

I'd imagine we'll hear more about games at launch in the coming weeks. We know, obviously, about a lot of the bigger games but with how they're framing indie titles this time around, and a lot of the stuff they've been working on behind the scenes with Shuhei Yoshida going to and speaking with indie devs, you'd expect to hear and see more from those conversations in the coming weeks. Hopefully a few big surprises in store for the indie side at launch as I imagine they've been very deliberate in which teams they've spoken to about getting those titles on the platform at or around launch.

Edit: Having also watched the gameplay for it yesterday, I have to say I'm excited to sit down and play Astro's Playroom on launch day. Never did get a PSVR headset so haven't played the original but even as a pre-loaded title at launch thats designed to show off features, it looks surprisingly polished and fun to play.

Edited by Ganepark32

Turn on CC.

EeFa2NJ.png

:D

I know pretty much nothing about how any of this works, but it sure looks nice.

Removing the side panels seems to be very easy. Good for those who don't like the colour and want to replace them eventually.
Also: The side panels are pretty much the things that make this console so large. Without 'em it doesn't seem that big.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

To all of you hardware/engineering people here:

Why is liquid metal better than thermal paste?
What is a vapor chamber and why is the heat sink built to work like one?

Edit: Nevermind, I was bored and looked it up myself.

The PS5 seems to be engineered with a lot of cooling in mind :D They listened to those who suffer from jet-engines in their living rooms.

Edited by drahkon

It's like 75% cooling.

They're definitely going to sell different designs for the shells. I imagine third parties will sell some too.

I wondered why I seemed to prefer the Xbox One achievement system, I didn't even realise the Playstation one didn't have levels! About time then. Hopefully there's a purpose to them apart from numbers going up...

I wondered why I seemed to prefer the Xbox One achievement system, I didn't even realise the Playstation one didn't have levels! About time then. Hopefully there's a purpose to them apart from numbers going up...
About the numbers going up, that's why I never saw the point in Gamerscore. Just a large number going up and up, which didn't really mean anything. The achievement system for me has always been about the number of Platinum trophies.

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I wondered why I seemed to prefer the Xbox One achievement system, I didn't even realise the Playstation one didn't have levels!

That's probably because it already has levels, they're just adding more of them so it won't take as long to level up...

49 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

About the numbers going up, that's why I never saw the point in Gamerscore. Just a large number going up and up, which didn't really mean anything. The achievement system for me has always been about the number of Platinum trophies.

That's definitely true, Xbox needs a Platinum equivalent. I thought you can redeem Gamerscore points for purchasing stuff, but I may just be making that up.

5 minutes ago, Magnus said:

That's probably because it already has levels, they're just adding more of them so it won't take as long to level up...

Sorry by levels I mean telling you how far into a specific trophy you are. Collect 5 Whatevers, if you've collected 3 it'll tell you on Xbox, not on Playstation (as far as I'm aware)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry by levels I mean telling you how far into a specific trophy you are. Collect 5 Whatevers, if you've collected 3 it'll tell you on Xbox, not on Playstation (as far as I'm aware)

Yeah, I would rather have that than more levels, to be honest.

Sony's already ripped off everything else about achievements from Microsoft, so I'm not sure what the holdup is on this...

Edit: Looks like it might be on the way:

Edited by Magnus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Looks like it might be on the way

Just got an email from Sony confirming it.

In other news: The PS5 teardown video is almost at 2 million views. Insane.

DQVIII_-_Liquid_metal_slime.pngSo many will die just to cool the PS5

How long before the videos of people licking it, much like the Switch cartridges?

One cool thing that was done with Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 was that if you unlocked the platinum trophy you were able to download a special system theme from the disc (and I think there were others for getting some other specific trophies too). Would be nice to see developers do stuff like that again - and for Sony to encourage it.

In other news: The PS5 teardown video is almost at 2 million views. Insane.

But how many are Xbox fanboys wanting to see a PS5 get dismantled.

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

Removing the side panels seems to be very easy. Good for those who don't like the colour and want to replace them eventually.

Really happy to see this. If new ones aren’t available at launch I’m tempted to buy some paint alongside my console and change these myself (I won’t of course as it’s way too much effort).

9 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Change to the Trophy system. About bloody time too! 

New changes look great, looking forward to seeing what my new level is! This is still the thing I most wish Nintendo would catchup on.

After being unsure about my order last week I’ve decided I’m definitely going to keep it. Everything I’m seeing looks great and new consoles is something I don’t want to miss.

• Like 1

I've had time to watch the PS5 teardown video more closely now. One thing that struck me throughout is just how much more smartly (and painstakingly) designed the PS5 is compared to the Series X, which we saw torn down by Digital Foundry a few months back.

Everything inside the PS5 looked custom made and tailored to the design of the PS5, which revolves around heat dispersion. In contrast the Series X looked to more or less contain standard stock components. One thing I also noticed in the Series X video is how the airflow is blocked by internal components in a lot of places, as well as the case sides and even the stand.

Any negative thoughts people might have on the design and size of the PS5 should be vindicated by this video. It's really an impressive piece of engineering - the size of the heatsink and fan, and shape of the case all work together to dispel heat buildup. At the end of the day I would much rather have something big and unorthodox in my living room if it means I don't have a loudz overheating machine.

Roll on November!

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Any negative thoughts people might have on the design and size of the PS5 should be vindicated by this video. It's really an impressive piece of engineering - the size of the heatsink and fan, and shape of the case all work together to dispel heat buildup. At the end of the day I would much rather have something big and unorthodox in my living room if it means I don't have a loudz overheating machine.

It’s an impressive piece of tech but I still find it to be the ugliest console yet. I’m definitely glad they’ve addressed some of the issues of the PS4 but I wish they’d have done it in a different way. Personally I’d much rather have the Series X if it was all based on looks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will said:

It’s an impressive piece of tech but I still find it to be the ugliest console yet. I’m definitely glad they’ve addressed some of the issues of the PS4 but I wish they’d have done it in a different way. Personally I’d much rather have the Series X if it was all based on looks.

I would much, much rather have the PS5 purely from an engineering design perspective. For me there is just no comparison between the two systems when you see them torn down. It's kind of crazy to see how much effort and thought has gone into every part of the PS5 design when watching the teardown video (even the stand is a appreciable piece of engineering). I wasn't expecting much when I started watching the video but by the end I was really, really impressed. And I'm not someone who is usually interested in the nitty gritty tech stuff.

For me I'll take the look and size of the PS5 if it means having a system designed to be run cooler, and quiet (impressions are suggesting the PS5 runs much cooler).

I mean, look at this (Series X). The design looks as though there is very little customisation. It looks almost as if it has been filled with stock parts and that they have been more or less layered on top of each other:

Xbox-Series-X_inside_04.jpg?resize=750%2C493&ssl=1

It's not just the design though, the cooling doesn't look anywhere near as comprehensive. With the PS5 the case is designed to dissipate heat all along the unit and the heatsink takes up something like 40% of the internal space. The PS5's horizontal fan also blows to both left and right sides of the console when upright (the Series X's fan meanwhile is situated at the top).

You've also got this stand on the Series X which can't be removed which is effectively blocking a vent, even if you position the console sideways and don't need to use the stand:

The stand under the Xbox Series X will not be removable | ResetEra

For anyone with even a mild interest I really would recommend watching Digital Foundry's teardown of the Series X and Sony's teardown of the PS5. The customisation and thought that has gone into the PS5 is abundantly clear to me, but I don't get that impression at all with the Series X.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

Is the PS5 customisable or do do just mean the parts are custom built (surely true of both consoles?)

You could equally say that for a console that's more powerful, the Xbox Series X is impressively engineered to be full of that much tech, especially for a device that's not too far off half the size of the PS5 (6.86l v 10.14l).

As for the tear-downs I spend more time looking at the outside of a console than the inside or touching it to see which one cools slightly better. If anything the PS5 just looks worse the more I see it. One is the ugliest console I've ever seen and the other is a lovely minimalist box I would much rather have out on display. But at the end of the day, that's a subjective opinion and the look of a console isn't that big a deal anyway.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1