NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

7 hours ago, Esequiel said:

Managed to snag one in store at Game for my kid, would only let me get 1 though so I guess I won’t get a PS5 till next year. 

We all know who's really not going to get a PS5 until next year :p

• Haha 1

Hope we hear some more on hard drive expansions soon. I’ve had a 2tb in my PS4 for years and don’t think I could go back to a smaller hard drive, especially as this time I’m gonna still be playing a load of PS4 games on the 5.

• Like 2

On 25/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, Ronnie said:

I'm not expecting it to be a high price at all. I'm thinking £350-400. Certainly not the 600-700 you mentioned recently.

On 25/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, Dcubed said:

In that case you have no grasp of reality then.  That price is literally impossible.  The NVME SSD alone will cost around £150-200... never mind the rest of the hardware...

It's great having no grasp of reality. You should try it sometime @Dcubed :laughing:

Turns out Playstation don't buy their SSDs from Amazon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

33 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Hope we hear some more on hard drive expansions soon. I’ve had a 2tb in my PS4 for years and don’t think I could go back to a smaller hard drive, especially as this time I’m gonna still be playing a load of PS4 games on the 5.

I took forever to actually put my 2TB in(literally years left a good drive idle as) - and I did think about this a bit BUT - with the custom SSD surely its gonna be less hassle just erasing and writing? Like I don't think BBand speeds will bottleneck it and the SSD write speeds etc - will it not be lightning quick style data management?

It's great having no grasp of reality. You should try it sometime [mention=883]Dcubed[/mention] :laughing:
Turns out Playstation don't buy their SSDs from Amazon.

Damn, this puts my burn responding to lalaland to shame.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rummy said:

I took forever to actually put my 2TB in(literally years left a good drive idle as) - and I did think about this a bit BUT - with the custom SSD surely its gonna be less hassle just erasing and writing? Like I don't think BBand speeds will bottleneck it and the SSD write speeds etc - will it not be lightning quick style data management?

This is the kind of stuff I’d like to know. Mark Cerny mentioned, possibly during the initial reveal (I’m not sure) that hard drive expansion was expected but they were looking into how with the new SSDs. I’d probably be happy with just external storage and a system that  transfer in and out games so the ones you are playing will use the ssd.

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

This is the kind of stuff I’d like to know. Mark Cerny mentioned, possibly during the initial reveal (I’m not sure) that hard drive expansion was expected but they were looking into how with the new SSDs. I’d probably be happy with just external storage and a system that  transfer in and out games so the ones you are playing will use the ssd.

Ok. First things first cos I gotta get it off my chest. You and some others will know I'm super sociopolitical on all fronts and this guy's name bothers me every fucking time because I keep thinking why is Mark Carny former BoE governor making decisions for Sony.

Every. Single. Time.

BUT. srs notes. Yeah I am kinda with you on the idea of almost hybrid longer term storage and swapping in/out with SSD. Basically its a macro model of RAM and swap space in computing as it already is anyway - just in huger quantities like those old SSD hybrid drives. In fact when I posted I thought to myself...why not throw a TB or two in on a traditional drive an utilise it exactly like that? Keep things nicely backend the frontend users don't need to be worrying about these things etcetc?

23 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Damn, this puts my burn responding to lalaland to shame. emoji14.png

Only been waiting a year to say that, like a saddo

• Thanks 1

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Jim Ryan's interview with The Washington Post had him saying that "99 percent" of PS4 titles will be playable on the PS5. 

unknown.png

Have to imagine it's only going to be weird cases, such as P.T., that miss out. 

22 minutes ago, Julius said:

Jim Ryan's interview with The Washington Post had him saying that "99 percent" of PS4 titles will be playable on the PS5. 

If this one's not going to work...

...may as well not even bother.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Only been waiting a year to say that, like a saddo

I must remark for all you are sometimes Ronnie - you manage to hold an eerily wonderful mirror of irony to your own self at others.

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2020 at 7:21 AM, drahkon said:

We all know who's really not going to get a PS5 until next year :p

Haha, if it was Xbox maybe but not the PS5!

• Like 1

So... err... that just happened.

How long until Sony buy up Bluepoint?

Who else do they need to buy before they're snatched away by Microsoft?

I can't see Microsoft buying a company with zero IPs just to Sony have to use someone else for remakes. They're not quite that petty.

9 minutes ago, Cube said:

I can't see Microsoft buying a company with zero IPs just to Sony have to use someone else for remakes. They're not quite that petty.

They could do with a team to help out their engineers on their programme for upgrading their backwards compatibility titles...

It's not like Microsoft haven't already had a good working relationship with them before (Titanfall 360).  It is a very real possibility! And there's a very obvious need for them at Xbox Games Studios.

On that matter... I think that it's very possible that someone is going to buy up Konami's games division.  The question here though is... Who's gonna get there first?

Edited by Dcubed

Microsoft would need actual games to remaster to make use of them. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Microsoft would need actual games to remaster to make use of them. :laughing:

How dare you. They have Fable and...erm...Fable 2?

Seriously though, I'd love a decent Fable remaster/remake.

1 minute ago, Goafer said:

How dare you. They have Fable and...erm...Fable 2?

Seriously though, I'd love a decent Fable remaster/remake.

They did a remake of Fable, although the remake is pretty dated now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

So... err... that just happened.

How long until Sony buy up Bluepoint?

Who else do they need to buy before they're snatched away by Microsoft?

Huge news, obviously, but I don't think there's any reason for Sony to react to this and buy Bluepoint ASAP. Given their working relationship is very similar to that PlayStation had with Insomniac, in that the overwhelming majority of their work has come to their platform, I'm sure that even if Microsoft did make a move for Bluepoint, Sony would be made aware and probably given first pass anyways. On the remake/remaster side of things, of which Bluepoint obviously does wonders, I feel like it almost goes again the backwards compatibility angle Xbox have pushed to pick up a team like this; not saying it's impossible, but that the first games that came to mind were things like the first Halo for a remake/remaster, only to realise they're already on modern platforms...eh. I don't know why Microsoft or Bluepoint would want to take that on.

I even thought the other day that Sony might acquire Bluepoint after Demon's Souls does super well in November, but then realised that they still waited a year and a half to finalise the Insomniac acquisition after the behemoth that was Spider-Man (2018)! So again, I don't feel the real need for them to rush. I think it's inevitably where they'll find themselves, as others have mentioned it might be a new IP next, but there are still plenty of other things they could potentially remake/remaster. The biggest and only real reason I would want Sony to pick them up ASAP is to inject some more money into them, and grow that team so that they can handle developments of two games (a new IP and remaster/remake) at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

They could do with a team to help out their engineers on their programme for upgrading their backwards compatibility titles...

It's not like Microsoft haven't already had a good working relationship with them before (Titanfall 360).  It is a very real possibility! And there's a very obvious need for them at Xbox Games Studios.

Eh, feel like need is a bit strong here. Again, Bluepoint have already made a name for themselves beyond a typical remaster, and will want to tackle their own thing at some point. 

On that matter... I think that it's very possible that someone is going to buy up Konami's games division.  The question here though is... Who's gonna get there first?

I don't think this is as out there as Bluepoint...but still a little too out there for me :p in fact, I would think it's more likely that Bluepoint end up tackling a Konami IP next through PlayStation which is console exclusive, than it would be for either "side" to pick up Konami. I think we'll see a reaction to their financials this year where gaming is keeping them somewhat afloat, whether that is them coming back and developing games in-house (think this is super unlikely) or partnering with third parties (i.e. PlayStation and Bluepoint). 

• Thanks 1

Whew, it's been a looooong time since I posted on these forums. Probably due to not gaming on the pc these days and sticking to PS4 and chatting to the people I see over there during destiny sessions. But exciting times are ahead and it's left me wondering about other's opinions like right now, what are most people's TV situation? Has anyone gone out of their way to get a new tv for next gen? I wasn't going to, but then my OLED has been struck down with BURN-IN sickness. It's slight but I can see the Destiny lifebars when I am watching youtube and it really bother's me. 

So coupled with a bit of self pity last week due to illness, I spent WAAAY too much money and bought one of LG's new 65 inch OLEDs that will support 120fps at 4k and the variable refresh rates tech. Has anyone else been 'forced' to do the same? Do you also have an inner voice telling you how much of a crazy fool you are? Or will the current TV suffice and there probably won't be much that actually achieves 60+ fps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Deathjam said:

Whew, it's been a looooong time since I posted on these forums. Probably due to not gaming on the pc these days and sticking to PS4 and chatting to the people I see over there during destiny sessions. But exciting times are ahead and it's left me wondering about other's opinions like right now, what are most people's TV situation? Has anyone gone out of their way to get a new tv for next gen? I wasn't going to, but then my OLED has been struck down with BURN-IN sickness. It's slight but I can see the Destiny lifebars when I am watching youtube and it really bother's me. 

So coupled with a bit of self pity last week due to illness, I spent WAAAY too much money and bought one of LG's new 65 inch OLEDs that will support 120fps at 4k and the variable refresh rates tech. Has anyone else been 'forced' to do the same? Do you also have an inner voice telling you how much of a crazy fool you are? Or will the current TV suffice and there probably won't be much that actually achieves 60+ fps?

Jealous of the 65 inch!

I got last years 55 inch LG OLED, but it still is ready for 4K 120 and VRR so no need to upgrade! I ended up getting it from Richer Sounds as a refurb and hardly paid anything as my previous TV had some serious backlight bleed issues. I rang them up about a week before the warranty ran out and they took the value off the price of the (already discounted) new TV :D

I have to say the LG OLEDs are incredible, easily the best TV I've ever had and would definitely recommend them!

My big spend (other than the PS5) is going to be a new AV receiver. I've currently got a 7.1 setup but want to add a couple of Atmos speakers as well. I've bought some new speakers over the last week and will probably get the new receiver and Atmos speakers just before the PS5 launch, can't wait!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Deathjam said:

I got a Samsung KS8000 TV a few years back and I’m sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

Not too bothered about 120 FPS really.  The picture looks great and the input lag is less than one frame.  That’s all I really care about as far as TVs go :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My new laptop is 144hz, and I genuinely can't tell the difference above 30fps.

I'll get a new TV when my old one stops displaying pictures (or producing sound).