NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

1 minute ago, Goron_3 said:

Tbh, I wouldn't even mind if the batter wasn't that much longer than the Dualshock 4 IF it also supported fast charging. Pretty much all of my devices can go from 0 - 80% charged in not much more than 30 minutes, so I'm hoping they can do something similar.

I’m pretty sure someone posted the battery sizes on twitter and the PS5s was bigger than the Switch Pro’s.

On 12/08/2020 at 12:43 PM, Julius said:

Leaked photos and impressions of the DualSense have come out. 1560mAh battery.

Screenshot_2020-08-12_at_11.54.32.png

Screenshot_2020-08-12_at_11.54.42.png

Screenshot_2020-08-12_at_11.54.50.png

Screenshot_2020-08-12_at_11.55.00.png

Crazy that we're getting to the point where all the major hardware bullet points are doing the roads from actual manufacturing and testing of the product.

As for the battery, for reference, the old DualShock 4 had 800mAh, and the newer V2 model I believe has 1000mAh, whereas the Switch Pro Controller has 1300mAh. This coming in at 1560mAh has me hopeful that I'll finally be able to rely on one controller for a day-long gaming session, because at the moment I have an older DS4 and have to keep another one fully charged as backup when I get the chance for longer gaming sessions. 

Here we go

The battery capacity doesn't mean too much when comparing different manufacturers. Sure the Switch Pro battery capacity is only 30% more compared to the DS4, but actual battery life is 8-10 times longer, 4-8 hours compared to 40.

Also I'd love to know what PS4 controller that guy was using to get 10-14 hours! Mine didn't last much more than 4.

Edited by Ronnie

54 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The battery capacity doesn't mean too much when comparing different manufacturers. Sure the Switch Pro battery capacity is only 30% more compared to the DS4, but actual battery life is 8-10 times longer, 4-8 hours compared to 40.

Also I'd love to know what PS4 controller that guy was using to get 10-14 hours! Mine didn't last much more than 4.

Have you used a fast charger on yours like designed for a mobile phone? Very bad for them - but tbh I'm with Goron the immense battery life I got from my DS4s and how quick they charge was really impressive. My bigger problem is I fried one pad's loop or battery or both by not realising about fast chargers but even worse than that(because what goods a battery with a broken engine) is the pad trigger/stick drift inteferences many have had. I have had it on two pads and I know a couple people here have too. I'm surprised it was never really a bigger issue(the reason is due to its minimal impacts on a macro level tho, imo).

Curious how they'll structure this showcase. Presuming that they're announcing the release date and price here and not in a blog/twitter post, you'd imagine they would come out of the gate and announce it first and then focus on the games.

I see it as they'll be shining more light on games coming in the launch window/at launch with some stuff coming further down the line (such as say the heavily rumoured Final Fantasty XVI) so getting date out first would let them structure the show in such a way. Hell, they may even kick it off with say Spiderman Miles Morales and put a launch date for that at the end of the trailer and use that to launch into a quick overview of the launch date of the PS5 and the price.

That to me seems like the best way to go about it but there's still this niggling feeling that they won't announce the date/price here and will do a blog/twitter post to simply focus on the games. As I say, they don't need to spend much time on it, just stick up the date, the price and when pre-orders start and that would get it over with quickly.

Looking forward to the show though. I'm somewhat resigning myself to not getting a PS5 this year as I don't want to stretch my finances with everything that's happening at the moment but there's still the chance that I'll possibly grab one if I can and so I'm looking forward to seeing more of what's going to be coming at launch and early in the life cycle of the console.

Hopefully see some more of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and some more of the indies they've been creating deals for behind the scenes (there'll probably be a lot of launch exclusive announcement or titles through this). Not expecting Horizon or God of War 2, though I don't think they need to show more of the former or even do anything for the latter as people know it'll come when it comes.

How long of a section do we all think Godfall will be given? Another 5 minute segment? :laughing: hopefully they won't spend too long on it and just give the date and possibly announce it as a PS Plus launch title or something along those lines (I just don't like the look of the game. Really don't need another GaaS title).

Looking forward to it though. Shame we won't see more of Kena or Deathloop but I can live with that, given them the space to breathe next year.

I'm stepping back and tempering my expectations. Mainly because I'll go dizzy with excitement otherwise :D I think most of my wider predictions would still be somewhat in line with what I said back in June (you know, minus the stuff that got announced then, and has been announced/showcased since!), but again, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. 

Tonight I'm expecting to see:

- price, launch, and pre-order dates. There's no way in my mind they let the Xbox Series S and X go up for pre-order without us at least knowing when the PS5 pre-orders drop. I would like if they were to announce these at the start like Nintendo did at the start of their Switch Presentation in January 2017, but I could see them just saying 'Available at Launch' throughout and then dropping this on us at the end. 

- Spider-Man: Miles Morales gameplay demo. The only AAA first party game from June they seemed confident in attaching a release window too. If it's coming at launch, now is the time to show us some gameplay. 

- Demon's Souls gameplay demo. I don't think it will be there at launch, but this game is going to be be one of their showpieces. It's Bluepoint. If not a demo then perhaps a trailer which includes more gameplay than we saw back in June. 

- let's see that UI. I'm just really curious to see what it could look like, hoping for something clean and a better trophy system (such as counters). I went back and watched one of the PS4 showcases from 2013 and we got Shuhei opening the show with a tour of the UI, so would love something like that again. Would love the first gameplay demo  to start by showing the UI and then them selecting the game, and showing off how quickly it will load!

- a first party multiplayer game. I don't know what - maybe TLOU2's Factions or something like Killzone - but I think this is the biggest gap in Sony's first party offering. This is about as out there as my expectations for the event are going. 

Then of course some looks at games we've already seen (not sure if they'd go with another Ratchet and Clank gameplay demo or trailer at this point) and hopefully a couple of surprises. 

Excited even with my tempered expectations, I just want my pre-order in at this point :peace:

• Thanks 1

My only real expectation is price and release date (+ pre-order dates).
Other than that...nothing, really. The last showcase was so amazing, it's going to be difficult to even come close to that.

Anything we haven't seen before will be great :p

Still wondering, whether I can even afford a PS5 at launch, though. :( Probably only if I sell my PS4 Pro.

Edited by drahkon

Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster rumours popping up again at the moment along with some product pages. Wonder if it’ll appear tonight.

20 hours ago, Rummy said:

Yeah my kinda issue here is - why are the SoC giving bad yield?

Will it potentially mean an issue longevity wise and flaws appearing in launch consoles later? SoC fix would surely mean big official repair costs outside of warranty too?

Probably because they’re pushing the GPU clocks too high (due to their variable clocks shenanigans; to try and bolster the paper specs and make the console look comparable to Series X); if I had to hazard a guess.

High clocks = High temps = Poor yields & reliability issues.

Edited by Dcubed

35 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Probably because they’re pushing the GPU clocks too high (due to their variable clocks shenanigans; to try and bolster the paper specs and make the console look comparable to Series X); if I had to hazard a guess.

High clocks = High temps = Poor yields & reliability issues.

Ah so its natural fallout of sorts from testing? As long as it will all be elminated from end product. As much as I moved over to Sony I am not going to pretend there have not be definite perpetual issues around their systems over the years(the ps2 dropped laser particularly kicked me off) such as heatdeaths sticks eject button melts or even like xbox and rrod etc.

I think the size of the production process can affect yields too, Intel for instance have struggled with getting the 7nm process right whereas AMD have been processing chips at that size for a while. Microsoft will be less worried about poor yields as the Series S will theoretically be able to utilise the Series X chips that aren't up to snuff - using less cores means 'defective' chips would still be able to meet performance thresholds for the Series S.

Just now, Julius said:

EXCLUSIVE?! THEY MADE XVI PS EXCLUSIVE?!

Did I read this right?

That would be crazy...

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

EXCLUSIVE?! THEY MADE XVI PS EXCLUSIVE?!

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Did I read this right?

That would be crazy...

Exclusive content

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’s on PC as well.

True, missed that. 

But it's still a huge deal, let's not act like it isn't :p 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Exclusive content

Think they said "PlayStation Console Exclusive"

If I'm remembering that right, pretty sure that means not just exclusive content...unless you mean the whole game :laughing:

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

True, missed that. 

But it's still a huge deal, let's not act like it isn't :p 

Think they said "PlayStation Console Exclusive"

If I'm remembering that right, pretty sure that means not just exclusive content...unless you mean the whole game :laughing:

Tried to rewind the live thing, turns out that doesn't work. Then going back into the video was just the waiting thing. Then found a video of the trailer and it just left out the last few seconds. I give up.

Edit:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-09-16-final-fantasy-16-is-a-playstation-5-console-exclusive?__twitter_impression=true

Guessing I misread "console exclusive". Sorry. 

• Like 1