NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I’m still not buying this concept that Sony can’t afford to take a similar loss to Microsoft on the console. At this point they basically have two options, ignore the pricing of MS and position it as a much better offering (maybe difficult given it’s generally accepted the X is a better machine) or they do compete on price and position it as a better overall offer for consumers as they actually have some next-gen games and the entire audience is playing the same content.

If I was at Sony I’d be positioning the pricing somewhere in the middle of what Microsoft is doing and then massively push on the fact that the S is not next-gen. Pricing I’d say $400 and $300 will allow them to do that.

6 minutes ago, will' said:

massively push on the fact that the S is not next-gen.

They should do that anyways.
"The only next-gen digital console", or something like that.

16 minutes ago, will' said:

I’m still not buying this concept that Sony can’t afford to take a similar loss to Microsoft on the console. At this point they basically have two options, ignore the pricing of MS and position it as a much better offering (maybe difficult given it’s generally accepted the X is a better machine) or they do compete on price and position it as a better overall offer for consumers as they actually have some next-gen games and the entire audience is playing the same content.

If I was at Sony I’d be positioning the pricing somewhere in the middle of what Microsoft is doing and then massively push on the fact that the S is not next-gen. Pricing I’d say $400 and $300 will allow them to do that.

I don't think they'll be able to go anywhere near as low as 400/300 dollars (assume US?). I've been thinking £399 for the digital edition as the best case and £449 (to match XSX) for the standard edition. Perhaps going to £499 for the standard edition, but hopefully not.

I know Dcubed thinks it's impossible for them to sell for this low, but can we really see them competing if they sell their system for 550, 600 pounds? Or whatever it's truly worth. It's not so much of a case of "they can't" but more a case of "they have to". 

I also know that Sony have sold at a loss before (they did with the PS4) and are willing to do so if they believe they can make the money back with game/service sales, which with the digital edition they are poised to do quite well.

Edited by Sheikah

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

I wonder what approach Sony will take.

Just a tweet to announce the price? If they match the price (i.e. 500 bucks for the disc version; 399 bucks for the DE - they can't match the Series S' price) a tweet would be enough.
If they decide to be much more aggressive a dedicated video would be the way to go. 

In any case, they need to get the message across that the PS5 DE is a much more powerful console than the Series S. People need to know that the price difference is justified. Hardcore gamers/PS4 enthusiasts already know that, but the "casuals" need some convincing.

Given how great the marketing for the PS5 has been so far, I'm not too worried.

Still...this announcement is very important. They gotta deliver :D 

Yeah, I'm really curious about this too.

There have been whispers of another event since even before the event in June, but the rumours around that always seemed to be centred more on software than hardware. That being said, we're still waiting for that teardown Cerny mentioned way back during the Road to PS5 video (obviously, plans might have changed since) and a better look at the UI.

I think there are still exclusive announcements they have yet to reveal, not necessarily for launch or even specifically in the launch year, such as any potential revival of a Konami IP with their backing, or something like Final Fantasy XVI. It might be a little ways off, but I mean, so was VII Remake when that was announced, and that's always been SE's thing. 

Whether or not any of these actually get announced before launch, though, I'm not sure. We have TGS in a few weeks, but honestly, I feel like it would be best to let the system launch and then have an event to bring in 2021 and give us a better look of what's on the horizon. Didn't they have something similar with PS4 around launch too which revealed Uncharted 4? 

So, I think it's tough to predict. I think PlayStation are probably better positioned than Xbox (in terms of social media presence - we saw the crazy numbers for the logo and controller) to just drop the prices on social media, but that just doesn't feel like something they'd do (especially if they're going to try anything like go under the Series X price with both versions - though I doubt it).

I think a streamed event with a focus on the launch lineup, showing some in-depth gameplay of Spider-Man: Miles Morales and whatever else is going to be there on Day 1, and then ending with the prices of the console and a date for pre-orders to go live would be the best way to get all eyes on them again.

But again, I don't think it's a necessity. Which I think makes it even more exciting to see what they choose to do. 

As for price, as @Sheikah and @will' mentioned, they're going to sell at a loss at launch, especially now. I don't think they'll take as much of a loss as Xbox (because they don't need to), but even in terms of production, I imagine they have plenty of deals to limit costs, purely because they've got another console likely to soar right on by the 100 million consoles sold mark in 5 years or so. Who wouldn't want in on that? 

But hasn't practically every console - I mean, very specifically here though, every PlayStation console - been sold at a sizeable loss at launch? It's the razor and blade model which has worked so well in this industry, and as has been mentioned plenty of times before, having a Digital Edition only puts them in a better position to make their money back, seeing as that's where they'd be making their money back anyways, but this time with a larger cut and a generally higher RRP (compared with physical). I think that's why I'm a bit confused at previous suggestions that Sony can't at least match the Series X with its disc version of the PS5, but even then, they could sell at £499 and it's still going to sell. 

Edited by Julius

So, there's a mysterious PAX event scheduled to start at 00:00 BST next Saturday (the 19th), currently titled 'Sony Holder'. 

Could be nothing, could be VR-related, could be anything. Could be a placeholder time. 

But with TGS starting the following week, as well as Xbox's Series pre-orders going live that week too, you would think something is on the way, and this seems to be the biggest hint so far that there might be some sort of event next week for the PS5. 

Again: could be nothing. But fingers crossed that's not the case. 

...and now box contents and model numbers have leaked from Hong Kong. 

Any month now...maybe... :p

54 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m just happy to see it comes with a plug.

I'm all about the instruction manual, me.

I'm not sure how we're going to cope if they drop the manual out of the box to cut down on costs. Fucking madness if they do that, the crazy bastards. Nobody will able to work out how to turn the damn thing on or where to put the discs. Imagine the carnage on the digital version, where somebody tries putting the discs in through the fan area. It's an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm all about the instruction manual, me.

I'm not sure how we're going to cope if they drop the manual out of the box to cut down on costs. Fucking madness if they do that, the crazy bastards. Nobody will able to work out how to turn the damn thing on or where to put the discs. Imagine the carnage on the digital version, where somebody tries putting the discs in through the fan area. It's an accident waiting to happen.

To be fair I still don’t know which button powers on the PS4 and which ejects the disc.

• Like 2

Just now, Happenstance said:

To be fair I still don’t know which button powers on the PS4 and which ejects the disc.

*laughs in digital downloads*

• Haha 1

*laughs in digital downloads*

*laughs in the money I save from not spending £59.99 on new launches* :p 

• Haha 1

I need a new laptop cos mine fried its fan randomly last year and I have been ooerwting exclusively from my ohone since but a computer would be really smart and wise in order to get my life back on track etc.

I am not yet buying one.

I think it's much more likely that Sony will fight back against Series S/X not by attempting to price match (which would be suicide for Sony), but by buying exclusive content from 3rd parties.  Sony's big USP is exclusive content, they know this; we all know this.  It makes far more sense for them to double down on their strengths rather than attempt to patch up their weaknesses.

If you have been paying ANY attention this past year or so, you will know that this is clearly Sony's game plan.  The stuff you've seen them pull so far with exclusive 3rd party moneyhat deals is only just the beginning...

I do wonder if Sony would dare to attempt to go after GTA6 exclusivity... Even if it's only timed, that would be serious leverage in their favour... It's the one and only 3rd party title that would be big enough to unequivicably turn the tide in their favour...

Edited by Dcubed

I think it's much more likely that Sony will fight back against Series S/X not by attempting to price match (which would be suicide for Sony), but by buying exclusive content from 3rd parties.  Sony's big USP is exclusive content, they know this; we all know this.  It makes far more sense for them to double down on their strengths rather than attempt to patch up their weaknesses.
If you have been paying ANY attention this past year or so, you will know that this is clearly Sony's game plan.  The stuff you've seen them pull so far with exclusive 3rd party moneyhat deals is only just the beginning...
I do wonder if Sony would dare to attempt to go after GTA6 exclusivity... Even if it's only timed, that would be serious leverage in their favour... It's the one and only 3rd party title that would be big enough to unequivicably turn the tide in their favour...
The tide is very much still with them at the moment, unless something goes really wrong in the next few months. People forget that having a good price isn't everything - you need games to play as well.

PS5 Showcase at 21:00 BST this coming Wednesday!

Before PlayStation 5 launches this holiday, we wanted to give you one more look at some of the great games coming to PS5 at launch (and beyond!).

Our next digital showcase will weigh in at around 40 minutes, and feature updates on the latest titles from Worldwide Studios and our world-class development partners. 

Tune in live on Twitch or YouTube this Wednesday, September 16 at 1pm PDT / 9pm BST / 10pm CEST to see what’s next for PS5.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well they sure reacted quickly to Microsoft's leak!

Finally, this stupid secrecy can come to an end!

Games only? :p
Anyways, this will - going by Sony's wording - reveal the launch line-up. Will Demon's Souls make the cut?

So, come Wednesday we will know most of what we can expect for this year's next generation release. Exciting times indeed :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’ve got to ask @Dcubed, where does your weird dislike of Sony come from? 

This stupid game of chicken has been pissing me off for ages (on both sides).  I just want to see how things are gonna play out already!

Anyway, I take it that we're gonna be seeing the launch lineup here.  Shall be interesting to see which games actually make the cut.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

This stupid game of chicken has been pissing me off for ages (on both sides).  I just want to see how things are gonna play out already!

Oh I get that, I’m just talking about in general. You’ve been like this for ages.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh I get that, I’m just talking about in general. You’ve been like this for ages.

*points to the massive Nintendo banner at the top of the site*

*points to Dcubed's staff badge*

:D

I guess the Nintendo vs. Sony battle rages on. With Microsoft...there.

*points to the massive Nintendo banner at the top of the site*

*points to Dcubed's staff badge*

:D

I guess the Nintendo vs. Sony battle rages on. With Microsoft...there.

Points to £59.99 I save......wait, wrong discussion :p 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I aint got no horse in this race myself (Hell, I actually have a PS4 and no Xbox One anyway).  I'm not exactly fond of Sony as a company though; I don't like their attitude towards game preservation and their disregard for their own legacy (the way they treat their past is shameful), nor do I like their arrogant attitude in general.

I'm also not fond of their vision for the future of the industry, or for what games should be (discount Prestige TV).

But I'm not exactly hard for Microsoft either and what their vision of the future is... but credit where credit is due; I'm very happy to see what they're doing with backwards compatibility (God I wish that Nintendo and Sony would follow suit!), they're doing a lot right in general right now.  Game Pass is incredible value and a genuine disruption within the industy (how sustainable it is is of course, a matter for debate though).  I like that Microsoft are trying something genuinely different, instead of settling for being a generic game box and nothing more.

So that's my stance on both companies right now.  I'm not a huge fan of either company, but I do like a lot of what Microsoft is doing right now.  Either way, I'm interested to see how things play out and what it means for the future of the industry as a whole.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Games only? :p

If I'm remembering right, it's very similar language to what we got with the PS5 Future of Gaming event back in June. Heavy focus on games in all their promotion, but we still ended up with a (very brief) look at the startup UI, the console itself, and accessories.

With pre-orders going up live next Tuesday for Xbox's next gen consoles, I do genuinely think that anything but a price and release date announcement on Wednesday would be Sony shooting themselves in the foot. Selfishly I would want pre-orders to go live at the end of the event (mainly so scalpers aren't given a date and time), but I just don't see that happening unfortunately. 

Not saying you were suggesting other things weren't going to being there drahkon, just seemed like a natural segue :p

Anyways, this will - going by Sony's wording - reveal the launch line-up. Will Demon's Souls make the cut?

So, come Wednesday we will know most of what we can expect for this year's next generation release. Exciting times indeed :D

Realistically, we've got Astro's Playroom and I would assume Spider-Man: Miles Morales at launch. They don't need anything else beyond that, but with everything going on with Demon's Souls lately, I think that's the only other potential AAA launch title from what we saw in June.

We have the box art going up for pre-orders, but also ratings in both South Korea and Japan if I recall, as well as in-depth descriptions in its listings compared with other games which also received box arts on the same sites. 

Forget Xbox, I think them waiting this late to announce things has been heavily riding on potential delays . We've just seen Kena get delayed, and Deathloop was a few weeks ago (not launch titles as far as were aware, but worth mentioning I feel), so I think wanting to confidently come out and say "Yes, we have Astro's Playroom pre-installed, Spider-Man: Miles Morales at launch, and one more thing [Demon's Souls?]. Also, here's what to expect by next summer" had a big hand in this. I'm sure this news is ready to go and has been, so this is them getting in the race now, but I feel it justifies them holding out a bit more than Xbox did, as they have massive first party games to deliver at launch. 

But yeah, I'm super excited too! Hoping it's not just a rehash of what we saw in June with more gameplay (though I'm sure we'll see some for Spider-Man: Miles Morales and potentially Demon's Souls, amongst others). Not expecting an update on Horizon at this point, feel like they'd be best off waiting on that one. One or two surprises big third party surprises would be awesome - for me, this would namely be anything from over in Japan, like Final Fantasy XVI, a potential Konami team up, Dragon Quest XII, Persona 6, whatever Ueda is working on, etc.

I'm already in and very excited, but news on one of those would send me over the moon! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I need a new laptop cos mine fried its fan randomly last year and I have been ooerwting exclusively from my ohone since but a computer would be really smart and wise in order to get my life back on track etc.

I am not yet buying one.
Did you post this in the wrong thread?