NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

7 minutes ago, will' said:

Imagine if the disc-based system is $500 and they put the digital version out at $250 - all of a sudden it’s advantage Sony and a lot of people are going to go fo that digital version.

While that would be incredible for the consumers there is absolute no way this will happen.

I'd say $350 for the DE is pushing even my wildest dreams.

• Like 1

There's no chance of Sony coming close to the Series S price.  Hell, they might not even be able to price match the Series X at $500, even with the Digital Only model (Microsoft are already taking a huge loss at that price that I don't think Sony can afford to match).

I’m inclined to agree but I do think it’s possible they go really low with it. I’d say the most risky thing they can do is leave the Series S out there unchecked at a price POINT way below anything else this generation.

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Series X at $500

Is this confirmed now? Last I saw it’s still just rumored.

9 minutes ago, will' said:

It’s definitely not much of a cost difference in terms of production, I think I saw people saying around $10 to $15 when you’re buying in that sort of bulk.

But I think it totally misses the point of having a discless system, anybody that buys this version is completely locked into the PSN ecosystem. Forever. On every piece of content you buy Sony is taking 30%, for first party games it’s 100%, it very quickly adds up to gaining back the loss on console sales.

I was thinking it would be around $100 difference between the two, but Sony can afford to go for much more of a loss. Imagine if the disc-based system is $500 and they put the digital version out at $250 - all of a sudden it’s advantage Sony and a lot of people are going to go fo that digital version.

Going to be a very interesting couple of weeks as we find out more.

Yeah, I agree, I think at most you've got that £100/$100/€100 price difference between the Digital Edition and the disc version. Even considering the amount they'll surely make back on digital purchases, I think making it a larger difference would cheapen the difference: you're going to get players on with the disc version (rightly) a little miffed that they're having to pay so much more for BC on the games they have physically, and at the end of the day, the PS5 DE is still just a digital version of the premier PS5 product. 

A 20% difference or so in price between the two seems feasible and fair, but anymore could cause a bit of a backlash I feel. They can go after the Series S with a Slim DE (would not be surprised if Slims are digital only this time around) in a year or two, but even at that great price, it's still a hard sell for those either embedded in the PS ecosystem or for those expecting more from Microsoft's own offering. 

I think they're even going to have a tough time of it going after just the FIFA/COD/NFL/Destiny/etc. players as it is, it's very different to jumping ship at the start of this current gen I feel. The exclusives are a much bigger piece of the equation than ever before with these two manufacturers, I think. 

Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing how Nintendo reacts now. As @Dcubed mentioned, this is a much more powerful console than the Switch and comes in a full £30 cheaper - if we weren't going to see it before, then I have to imagine now that there are talks about a (first!) permanent price cut to the Switch. 

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I wasn't really sure if the disc-less PS5 was lower spec or not, people who aren't clued up on the differences will definitely compare the two.

Yep, the specs are exactly the same apart from the disc drive. I really don't believe there's been any confusion in the messaging there - the digital version is just called the "PS5 digital", and they're exactly the same size (aside from the bulge):

PS5/PlayStation 5

Contrast this to the Series S, which is a lot smaller than the Series X and clearly looks to be on a different power level:

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing how Nintendo reacts now. As @Dcubed mentioned, this is a much more powerful console than the Switch and comes in a full £30 cheaper - if we weren't going to see it before, then I have to imagine now that there are talks about a (first!) permanent price cut to the Switch. 

I just can’t see this being a thing. The machines are going after completely different audiences. If I’m in the market for a Switch I’m not going to change over to this as it doesn’t serve the same purpose.

5 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Yep, the specs are exactly the same apart from the disc drive. I really don't believe there's been any confusion in the messaging there - the digital version is just called the "PS5 digital", and they're exactly the same size (aside from the bulge):

PS5/PlayStation 5

Oh great, just when I'd forgotten how hideous the PS5 is :blank:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Microsoft will wish their price for the S hadn't leaked, revealing a £250 next gen box after Sony announces their two prices would have been amazing for them. Very smart move to make a slightly lower spec next-gen console.

Let's se how close the disk-less PS5 can get, if they can do £275 or £300 for it that would be acceptable.

I doubt it'll be that cheap. Series S is cheaper because it has a much cheaper GPU, and therefore it needs a much cheaper cooling solution and packaging. It also has an off the shelf SSD, unlike the PS5.

I'm expecting £399 for the DE PS5 and the £499 for the regular PS5. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

You might be right, but 150 more for the cheapest PS5 model than the Series S seems perhaps too much. I'm hoping they manage 350 for it.

15 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I doubt it'll be that cheap. Series S is cheaper because it has a much cheaper GPU, and therefore it needs a much cheaper cooling solution and packaging. It also has an off the shelf SSD, unlike the PS5.

Sure, that's what I expected beforehand too but Xbox's announcement might have changed their thinking in that regard...

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sure, that's what I expected beforehand too but Xbox's announcement might have changed their thinking in that regard...

I don't think so, simply because the entire industry was already aware of the Series S and I'm sure Sony knew it was going to effectively be a budget device.

What I am interested in is seeing how it sells. XBO and PS4 continued to sell more than the XBX and PS4 Pro as most people don't care about extra graphics. It'll be interesting to see if the Series S can help Microsoft in territories where Sony are typically stronger.

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Pre-orders open on Thursday.

GET FREAKING HYPED!

Information on price and where to buy (Hide contents)

The Gang Blocks Drahkon

:p

• Haha 1

From the Kena article Game Informer put up today: 

First up, there’s the matter of load times. Sony has touted the speed of the PS5’s solid-state drive, and how it virtually eliminates long loads. In practice, we watched as Kena was launched from the PlayStation 5 system menu. It took about two seconds. That’s not resuming a suspended game, but launching the game fresh.

“They have a whole thing set up where you can do transition and it’s very nice, but frankly it doesn’t have time to play the animation. It just loads the game so fast,” says Josh Grier, chief operating officer at Ember Lab.

The PlayStation 5’s controller is another significant upgrade. “The triggers on the DualSense controller have resistance on them, so we’re utilizing that for the heavy attacks, but also for the bow,” Mike says. “You draw it, and the way it sounds and the resistance feels like a bow tightening up.”

“The triggers are a part of it, but when you get the haptics in the hands, it really brings it all together,” Josh adds. “Obviously, you feel the tension in your trigger finger, but when you’ve got the bow drawn and you add the Rot into it, we can dynamically say, ‘OK, this right palm feels the Rot jumping into it.’ And then when we use the Rot cloud, as the cloud shifts from left to right on the screen, you can feel it transitioning from left to right in your hand, as well.”

Am I crazy or is two seconds for a cold boot like that pretty insane? 

Are we supposed to know what the Rot is? And should it sound so disgusting?

7 minutes ago, bob said:

Are we supposed to know what the Rot is? And should it sound so disgusting?

If you are so uncultured that you don’t know what the rot is then I’m not sure I want you on this forum.

I just want to know the cost. LOL. If I have to start putting money away for the PS5 again, I need to be committed to not dipping into my savings anymore. :D

Tokyo Game Show begins on 23 September. ;) 

So we've just had box art go up for all of the PlayStation Studios titles shown in June's PS5 event, aside from Spider-Man: Miles Morales (which we already had) and Horizon Forbidden West. 

I'm not even going to say it...but come on! :p

UPDATE

PS5 pre-orders going up on the 22nd..?

Imagine that's the US, not sure if it will be worldwide, but seems about right! :bouncy:

UPDATE 2:

And back to square one...

Edited by Julius

Ok, here we go. Microsoft spilled the beans, and those are some delicious ones.

Sony will have the last word. That could be the deciding factor for the launch period. If they play their cards right, they got it locked down.

Exciting times :D

50 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Ok, here we go. Microsoft spilled the beans, and those are some delicious ones.

Sony will have the last word. That could be the deciding factor for the launch period. If they play their cards right, they got it locked down.

Exciting times :D

Yep, pretty much where I'm at. Should have a price/pre-order date announcement before Xbox pre-orders go live on the 22nd I imagine. Or hope. I mean we have to know by TGS, surely? 

Based on Xbox's prices, I'm expecting them to price match the Series X with the disc version at £449/$499, and £399/$449 for the Digital Edition. I don't think they'd risk going higher, but even if we saw £499/$499 ($549?), I think they're still in a fine position. 

People will want third party AAA experiences, and they're coming to both consoles, many of them not part of Xbox's (admittedly awesome) Game Pass - I'm thinking of Cyberpunk in particular here. A shorter AAA first party game in Spider-Man: Miles Morales is going to perform like crazy, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they just went with that on the first party front at launch. I think everyone forgets just how crazy well the first one sold! 

Question marks over Demon's Souls, feel like that'd be a great title at launch, but if not at launch, then maybe in December? There are already so many games on the way to round out the year, and I'm not confident PlayStation would release two of their big games at the very start.

Would love to be wrong, but would have no idea when I'd get around to playing it, what with Cyberpunk 2077, Age of Calamity and (potentially) Spidey all so close together too :laughing:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

I think everyone forgets just how crazy well the first one sold!

Indeed.

Sony doesn't need to do much. Pretty much only this:

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

price match the Series X with the disc version at £449/$499, and £399/$449 for the Digital Edition

And this: deliver the next Spiderman game as a launch title. That's it.

3rd parties are already on board and with a lot of PS4 titles being ready to play on the PS5, they got that locked down, too. ::shrug:

I think it's just a matter of how much the PS5 will cost.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

You're in luck; 

Spoiler

Spider-Fisk PS4 announced!

https://streamable.com/qw6kwb

Edited by bob
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, drahkon said:

Indeed.

Sony doesn't need to do much. Pretty much only this:

3rd parties are already on board and with a lot of PS4 titles being ready to play on the PS5, they got that locked down, too. ::shrug:

I think it's just a matter of how much the PS5 will cost.

Yep, always surprises me when people forget what a guaranteed juggernaut of a launch title Spider-Man: Miles Morales could be.

It's likely going to be a fraction of the price of 2018's Spider-Man, and somewhat continues the story of that game, which was one of the best- and fastest-selling of the generation. Miles Morales practically becoming a household name after the success of Into the Spider-Verse won't exactly hurt it's chances, either. 

Price and pre-order announcement. Tokyo Game Show. Pre-orders going live. Potentially another PlayStation event thrown in the mix at some point. And launch. 

Going to be a crazy next two months or so. You know, when things finally start ramping up! Which will be any day now...right? :p

• Thanks 1

I wonder what approach Sony will take.

Just a tweet to announce the price? If they match the price (i.e. 500 bucks for the disc version; 399 bucks for the DE - they can't match the Series S' price) a tweet would be enough.
If they decide to be much more aggressive a dedicated video would be the way to go. 

In any case, they need to get the message across that the PS5 DE is a much more powerful console than the Series S. People need to know that the price difference is justified. Hardcore gamers/PS4 enthusiasts already know that, but the "casuals" need some convincing.

Given how great the marketing for the PS5 has been so far, I'm not too worried.

Still...this announcement is very important. They gotta deliver :D