NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Hmm the left sticks is still in the wrong place :p

But it looks better than the DS4 which I still find the least comfortable of the 3, but not 'uncomfortable' by any means. 

Sony have always won with their coloured edition controllers though. They made some amazing colour designs of the DS4 - particularly over the last few years. 

Hope that continues. 

• Like 2

The more I see it, the more I like it. Looks really modern, but it'll all come down to how the buttons feel. They look a little "clicky" at the moment, with very little movement. Hopefully they'll be just as good as the DS4 ones though.

Have to agree, it's growing on me too. I think the coloured mockups definitely made me warm to it, since there'll inevitably be more than one colour option down the line.

11 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Something is definitely wrong with your controller if it's only lasting 4 hours!

I'm glad they stuck with the symmetrical stick placement. Also, this internet mockup of colours makes me excited for coloured versions.

ieytrqsitgr41.png

The lightbar is like a bikini strap.

Feel slightly uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, dwarf said:

Or dungarees...

Dualsense-Mario-Controller-l.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, dwarf said:

You're wearing the wrong bikinis. 

Or dungarees...
Dualsense-Mario-Controller-l.jpg

Was just about to say the same thing after seeing the white one.
74bd1535ce10d77899255b3e1c06938f.jpg

Then the absolute confirmation of the colours in the right place with this one. Can’t unsee Mario now.

22ba46b632111d82a47ba35502ba85f4.jpg

One thing we can definitely say is that Sony know what they're doing in terms of releasing information. The way they're releasing information in small amounts has everyone paying attention whenever they're doing it.

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

One thing we can definitely say is that Sony know what they're doing in terms of releasing information. The way they're releasing information in small amounts has everyone paying attention whenever they're doing it.

Really? The gaming community has shown nothing but contempt for the months and months of radio silence from Sony, and then when they finally start talking, it's that disastrous Mark Cerny thing that was being ridiculed all over the internet.

Xbox has been releasing small amounts of information for a while now too, starting even earlier than Playstation. It's just how they've decided to do things this gen it seems.

Edited by Ronnie

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Really? The gaming community has shown nothing but contempt for the months and months of radio silence from Sony, and then when they finally start talking, it's that disastrous Mark Cerny thing that was being ridiculed all over the internet.

Xbox has been releasing small amounts of information for a while now too, starting even earlier than Playstation. It's just how they've decided to do things this gen it seems.

Sony have generated far more interest with what little they've shown than Microsoft have done by dumping a lot of information at once.

There is something to be said for holding your cards close to your chest, and playing those cards at the right time.

Touching on your comment about the gaming community - the vast majority do not hold a grudge. As soon as Sony release some information gamers don't tend to think "well that controller is cool, but Sony kept me hanging for so long that I'm going to buy an Xbox instead".

Edited by Sheikah

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

In bubbles such as Era and other outlets, sure. In terms of general public, they are hitting all the right notes. For example, when the logo was revealed it was the most liked gaming thing on Instagram at the time, with stupid amount of chatter across all social media brands. This has happened once again with the reveal of this controller. It's on track to beating the previous record, at least it was last night. It may have already done it. ::shrug:

People are hungry for PS5 info and the approach Sony have taken seems to be working because when they do release information it's blowing up on social media. Whether these social media numbers will mean anything when the console arrives remains to be seen but at the moment there is certainly a general vibe of positivity coming for the general public.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

In bubbles such as Era and other outlets, sure. In terms of general public, they are hitting all the right notes. For example, when the logo was revealed it was the most liked gaming thing on Instagram at the time, with stupid amount of chatter across all social media brands. This has happened once again with the reveal of this controller. It's on track to beating the previous record, at least it was last night. It may have already done it. ::shrug:

People are hungry for PS5 info and the approach Sony have taken seems to be working because when they do release information it's blowing up on social media. Whether these social media numbers will mean anything when the console arrives remains to be seen but at the moment there is certainly a general vibe of positivity coming for the general public.

This is exactly right. @Ronnie your point about the Mark Cerny presentation - probably more than 95% of people who will go on to buy a PS5 will never have seen that presentation!

Also regarding the Mark Cerny video being "universally derided", it was far more upvoted than downvoted, so I don't agree with you there.

Edited by Sheikah

41 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

...that disastrous Mark Cerny thing that was being ridiculed all over the internet.

All I've seen is people analysing the actual data and being excited about the potential for decreased load times.

Guess our own little echo chambers don't align on this one.

• Like 1

We're on page 12 of this topic, Series X is on page 3. Not sure what it looks like elsewhere, but from my small internet sphere it looks like PS5 is getting more interest, positive or negative. 

That Mark Cerny video was a bit too much for me to sit through the whole thing, I did appreciate how articulate he was at explaining complex things in simple terms though.

I saw positive things about the Cerny video on my Twitter, but then my gaming Twitter is 95% industry people rather than fans. Not sure if that may influence it.

I've grown to like number 1 now. Aside from that, 4,7 and 9 are also quite tasty. 

It looks more in line with the Xbox pad and Switch pro pad as well; both of these easily provide more comfort and intuitive control than any dual shock controller in my opinion. Still,  as long it plays the games, it doesn't matter too much 😊

• Like 1

The actual design looks very concept arty if the brief was "sleek and futuristic". 7 and 9 in the above tweet are much better imo. I'm sure we'll get something like those eventually. 

A shame Playstation don't do that awesome design lab thing Xbox do where you can colour your own controller. Also a shame they don't make an Elite version (yet)

Edited by Ronnie

If I recall correctly those weren't offered out of the gate (but I may be wrong) so it could still happen. Maybe they designed this in such a way to make that easier. Maybe...

On 08/04/2020 at 5:26 PM, Mandalore said:

We're on page 12 of this topic, Series X is on page 3. Not sure what it looks like elsewhere, but from my small internet sphere it looks like PS5 is getting more interest, positive or negative. 

That Mark Cerny video was a bit too much for me to sit through the whole thing, I did appreciate how articulate he was at explaining complex things in simple terms though.

This is an echo chamber too. To an extent even Instagram and other social media are. 

Personally I think, 'We have 15% more teraflops on the gpu!*' is a boring selling point.  

Not to mention MS's messaging is very forgettable like typical yearly updated products. Too much Azure Ray Tracing, Azure Machine Learning and DirectX AI etc being used rather than straightforward talk. *Their fast, slow RAM setup explanation is also amusing/confusing for example. 

Having said that MS have the biggest  advantage of a lower price. 

Edited by Choze

Well, turns out Official PlayStation Magazine has been torn to shreds over this and that their cover likely means nothing for the PS5 reveal. My bad guys. 

That misunderstanding has now been replaced by GamesBeat editor Jeffrey Grubb commenting over on ResetEra that the PS5 event will be June 4th. 

The wait continues. 

Schreier is saying early-to-mid June for the PS5 event, which lines up with Jeffrey Grubb saying June 4th, but of course with the caveat that plans may change as a result of COVID-19. 

I feel like Sony is juggling a lot right now in their marketing, so as much as I'm looking forward to it, I have to wonder if this is the right move?

TLOU2 is starting to swing into its marketing and releases mid-June, but there's already a firestorm happening there what with the leaks and such.

Ghost of Tsushima releases a month later, and while I expect we would be getting hands-on impressions around now if COVID-19 wasn't in play, I really feel like they've kept their cards questionably close to their chest, and that the "average" gamer probably doesn't know that this game even exists. That will all change when they go all in on marketing next month at some point I imagine, but considering just how little gameplay we've seen for the game to this point, I feel like the PS5 - and more importantly, any game announcements or reveals - could completely overshadow the game and steal it's potential mindshare. 

I get it, PlayStation want their last first party game out of the gate ASAP so they can dive into marketing the PS5 and next-gen. Just feels like they're in a bit of a weird spot right now, waiting for the starting pistol to fire out. 

• Like 1