NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Not too fussed about raytracing or haptic triggers, as long as they improve the Fisher Price Dual Shock 4, the build, the comfort, a battery life like the Switch Pro (40 hours instead of 4), I'm happy. It was like the heavens opened on the occasions when I went from the DS4 to a Switch Pro.

• Thanks 1

On 7.1.2020 at 8:09 AM, Julius said:

86qp2n8ac9941.jpg

There are actually people making fun of Sony for "being lazy" with the design. Those people probably never heard of brand recognition ::shrug: 

Anyways, here's a mockup of possible PS5 game boxes:

ps5-game-case-box-art.original.jpg

Gotta say, love the choice of black. I like it a lot more than blue. 

Better battery life on the controller is definitely my biggest desire. I've never experieced any other problems with the build quality but the PS3 controller seems to last forever off of a small charge, whereas the 4 hours I get from the DS4 is a pain. Oh, and make it USB C.

I just hate the shape of it, doesn't feel comfortable at all to me, unlike the Xbox/Switch which feel amazing in hand, but I guess they'll stick with it :blank:. I wonder if the pointless touchpad and light bar made the battery life so insanely short too.

• Weird 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Not too fussed about raytracing or haptic triggers, as long as they improve the Fisher Price Dual Shock 4, the build, the comfort, a battery life like the Switch Pro (40 hours instead of 4), I'm happy. It was like the heavens opened on the occasions when I went from the DS4 to a Switch Pro.

But not a battery life like the Joy-Cons? :p

I've never personally had a problem with the DS4, but then I don't play that often. A better battery life would be good though.

26 minutes ago, Ashley said:

But not a battery life like the Joy-Cons? :p

I've never personally had a problem with the DS4, but then I don't play that often. A better battery life would be good though.

I don't play the PS4 much either but 4 hours vs 40 hours on the equivalent controllers the Switch Pro or Xbox is a pretty stark difference.

"equivalent" could also mean 'the primary controller for the console' which would be the Joy-Cons not the Pro, but I get what you're saying. 

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

A man after my own heart ♥️😉

• Like 1

On 08/01/2020 at 10:48 AM, drahkon said:

There are actually people making fun of Sony for "being lazy" with the design. Those people probably never heard of brand recognition ::shrug: 

Anyways, here's a mockup of possible PS5 game boxes:

ps5-game-case-box-art.original.jpg

Gotta say, love the choice of black. I like it a lot more than blue. 

Physical media is sooooo last generation. :cheeky:

I think I purchased a PS4 about a year or so after launch, and I may do the same again, depending on cost and launch lineup. Not quite in a rush for a new console just yet.

On 11/01/2020 at 7:53 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

Physical media is sooooo last generation. :cheeky:

I think I purchased a PS4 about a year or so after launch, and I may do the same again, depending on cost and launch lineup. Not quite in a rush for a new console just yet.

lol remember when you got Injustice on the Wii U because you didn't have a PS4?  

Don't do that again.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

lol remember when you got Injustice on the Wii U because you didn't have a PS4?  

Don't do that again.

Haha, we were talking about this yesterday!

I think I've got 3 versions of that game. 1 on WiiU (lol), another disc on PS4 and then I think I've got it on PS+. 

In fairness, it's a fantastic game. :laughing:

E3 is obviously fading but I thought they would definitely show up this year given they've got a brand new console to promote. Shows how fractured the promotion side of things has become that they don't feel it necessary anymore, most people thought it was just Shawn Layden that didn't want to show up to E3 but it's obvious now that it's a company wide strategy. 

Will be interesting to see how the effects third party presence at the PS5 reveal event and other shows going forward. This whole generation Playstation has managed to secure the marketing rights to a slew of massive games but this could change things.

Genuinely shocking that Sony is skipping E3 again this year.  Last year was understandable, given that they had literally nothing to show (and were probably originally planning on launching the PS5 last year); but to skip it on the year of the PS5's launch? Wow!

E3 is DONE.  There's no point to it anymore if Microsoft are the only ones showing up to the party...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

It's definitely not the typical move to pull when you've got a console launching at the end of the year but I'm not surprised. There seems to have been tension between SIE and the ESA over the last couple of years and I suspect that may have just simply come to head here.

My other thought was that if there is going to be a power disparity between the Xbox Series X and the PS5 as rumours suggest (even if they are outdated), this move might be a way to mitigate that. Get the console and games into the hands of the gamers at ComicCon, at PAX, Gamescom, Paris Game Week, Tokyo Game Show, etc. and stop that rhetoric before it gets banded around by press or influencers or what have you. Any differences in power, however marginal, will only be magnified running up to launch so getting ahead of that by letting consumers decide may well be a way around what should be a non-issue for most the large majority.

If it means consumers get hands on without having to wait hours and hours in a queue as has become the case with E3 as of late then it's a good move. We'll see how it'll all play out soon as there must be an announcement coming very shortly for the console.

• Like 1

I'm not too surprised, to be honest. Their were rumours last year that Sony weren't happy with the way E3 is being handled, which is one of the reasons why they pulled out from it. The show is caught in between trying to be an event for the public but also remaining a trade show, satisfying neither criteria. It's been dying a slow death fro years now, what with Nintendo  no longer putting on a live show (they still do have a strong presence though), EA doing their own thing, Sony pulling away from it and Microsoft hosting their event at their own venue. You also have the massive ESA data leak souring a lot of the press on the event and the rise in costs in renting an area at the venue. A cost which a lot of indie developers simply can't afford. There was also the leaked ESA document from the latter half of last year which showed the direction the show was going in, with them wanting to pander to influencers and other scummy practices. It wasn't a good look for the ESA or the show in general.

It's sad that E3 has gone the way it has but I suppose it was inevitable. The way people consume their entertainment and information has changed and as much as I once loved my Christmas in June, E3 is no longer needed for publishers/developers to get their messages across. Iwata foreseen this years ago when they pulled away from live shows and introduced the Direct model and now others are following his path.

• Like 2

That was definitely not a surprise.

Sony will reveal the new console at their own event and the people who'd watch E3 will also tune in for that. Depending on the timing it might also pull a lot of attention away from E3.

An interesting decision, only time will tell if it's right or wrong for them. I don't think their State of Plays have taken off in the way they'd hoped so if that's the substitute for an E3 presence it's pretty disappointing.

Was going to tack this onto my post in the Ghost of Tsushima thread, but figured it might be better off here. With the release date for that game being announced as June 26th, I think we can start to get an idea for Sony's PlayStation 5 marketing plans.

In terms of first party and marketing/timed exclusivity AAAs over the next few months on PS4, we have (shadow edit...) Nioh 2 at the end of next week, which is being co-published by SIE; Resident Evil 3 at the start of April; Final Fantasy VII Remake one week later; The Last of Us Part II at the end of May; and Ghost of Tsushima at the end of June! With this being the last first party exclusive we know of for the console, and with Avengers in September being the only big marketing exclusive game I think they've got left for PS4 after that (which isn't part of an annual franchise like FIFA or CoD), I think we're going to see the PS5 reveal and marketing kick in around E3 time. That'd potentially be a 5 month period from full reveal to release, in line with the Nintendo Switch launch marketing schedule, which in my opinion worked out really well. 

That'd be my bet, anyways. It seems almost redundant to have the full reveal of it too long before TLOU2, because you know they want to lean into that game as a PS4 title and have otherworldly sales with a great critical response as a last hurrah before shifting gears to the PS5. With Ghost of Tsushima being a new IP, while I'm sure it will sell amazingly well, I don't think it could potentially take eyes away from a PS5 reveal as much as TLOU2 and it's marketing potentially could. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Starting to get this sneaking suspicion that PS5 is getting delayed until next year...

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Starting to get this sneaking suspicion that PS5 is getting delayed until next year...

Given the rumour that was going around about a shortage of parts and now the virus taking it's toll on every major company in the world, not to mention the disruption of showcase events, I think this is very much to be expected at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft are also changing their plans.

• Thanks 1

Nintendo has proven that launching a console in Q1 can be a big positive, you get the initial surge in sales and then 6-9 months later get another big boost around Christmas.

But what with Sony's total radio silence, who really knows, they could just release it with fewer units to go around.

49 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Given the rumour that was going around about a shortage of parts and now the virus taking it's toll on every major company in the world, not to mention the disruption of showcase events, I think this is very much to be expected at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft are also changing their plans.

Sony’s silence is also absolutely deafening at this point... They’ve basically run out of first party games now and yet they’ve got nothing to say...
... I’m very confident that Sony will fail to get the PS5 out of the door this year.  Their silence is a strong indication that they’ve got nothing to show... even without the coronavirus decimating their manufacturing plans.

I would also think that Microsoft would struggle to get the Series X out this year; but their continued marketing push is giving me pause for thought here... It’s possible that they decided to copy Nintendo and move their manufacturing over to Vietnam; which means that they’d be able to bypass the coronavirus problem.  The whole thing with the Xbox One All Digital as well, also gives them a manufacturing advantage over Sony too (since they’re literally ripping UHD BD drives out of Xbox One S consoles and just re-selling & rebranding the consoles - while stockpiling the UHD BD Drives for Xbox One X/Series X); so they don’t have to source a big stockpile of UHD BD drives... unlike Sony...

Whatever the situation, it seems that Microsoft are in a better position regarding manufacturing and timeframes of release than Sony right now.  I’m not confident in PS5 hitting 2020 at all now, but I think Series X still has a chance.

Nintendo has proven that launching a console in Q1 can be a big positive, you get the initial surge in sales and then 6-9 months later get another big boost around Christmas.

But what with Sony's total radio silence, who really knows, they could just release it with fewer units to go around.

Worth noting though that March is actually the historic launch window for handheld consoles; which is why Nintendo were able to get away with it for Switch.

Sony however? I can’t see them taking the risk of launching outside of the traditional stationary console launch window of November (pre-Black Friday).  It’s just not in their company culture to take a risk like that.

I actually think that they might consider delaying all the way until November 2021.  This would give them time for GPU/CPU/Memory tech to improve and for prices to come down; which puts them in a better position against the Series X going forward into the new generation.  It also gives them time to actually get games made for the new console and time to regroup, especially during their big restructuring upheaval.  In the mean time? They could probably get away with coasting on the PS4 for one more year with multiplatform releases, and occasional PC releases of their first party games (which they’re starting to do now).

Edited by Dcubed