NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The asymmetrical design with the disk tray lump sticking out of one side is really bad, regardless of colour. The fact that you need the stand to lay it flat :blank:

Can't you just lay it flat on the side without the bump? Sony often show of their consoles with the stand but it has never been actually needed before.

Edit: ok looking at it from another angle it's not flat, but also the stand doesn't look like a big deal? Looks almost certain to be included with the console (since it's small) so not sure what the problem is?

ps5-playstation-5-side-guide-3.original.jpg

Edited by Sheikah

A discussion with a UX designer at PlayStation makes it sound like the console will be customisable, makes you wonder if the plates on the side will be interchangeable so you can have what colour or special edition you want.

jRyXFHc.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

The asymmetrical design with the disk tray lump sticking out of one side is really bad, regardless of colour. The fact that you need the stand to lay it flat :blank:

At least it can lay down flat, unlike the Switch that insists on being too big to fit in any TV unit 😋

Although the bump is a bit odd, yeah. 

32 minutes ago, Ashley said:

At least it can lay down flat, unlike the Switch that insists on being too big to fit in any TV unit 😋

Although the bump is a bit odd, yeah. 

You done kicked the hornets nest now...

4 hours ago, Map said:

A discussion with a UX designer at PlayStation makes it sound like the console will be customisable, makes you wonder if the plates on the side will be interchangeable so you can have what colour or special edition you want.

jRyXFHc.jpg

I doubt it but maybe they'd also be optional...

Or at least some company will make one without a popped collar. 

I doubt it but maybe they'd also be optional...
Or at least some company will make one without a popped collar. 
Legend says that if you were to remove the popped collar, Chad Warden would howl out in pain while crashing his mum's Caddy.

Guys we're not talking about Bugsnax enough. It was the real star of the show.

I have a feeling this might be the next Rocket League and from some of the development team that did Wipeout.  

Edited by Cookyman
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cookyman said:

I have a feeling this might be the next Rocket League and from some of the development team that did Wipeout. 

I actually thought it was a new Rocket League trailer when this one started. Not sure if they will manage that level of success but it does look interesting enough to pick up when it launches.

First official pictures from Sony with the PS5 laying on its side:

Hero_Consoles_Flat.jpg

Spoiler

EauIUZhXYAAqMgU?format=jpg

And pretty much confirmation that PS4 to PS5 upgrades are up to the games' publishers/devs:

Let's hope that all of them take advantage of this. :D

• Like 1

Their silence towards it pretty much made sure that was the case. Big plus for Xbox.

I've genuinely never been excited for Gran Turismo before but I'm super stoked by this one. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

One thing I hope we see soon is some information on what Sony have done with their cooling solution for the PS5. We know it's basically running CPU and GPU and higher frequencies, so how they've done this without frying the internals will be interesting. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting to see that Sony and Microsoft do the exact same thing with regards to "this gen to next gen" upgrades, but only Microsoft gave it a name (i.e. Smart Delivery).

3 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Indeed. But that's the only thing I've ever been interested with the Gran Tourismo series :D

Edited by drahkon

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Their silence towards it pretty much made sure that was the case. Big plus for Xbox.

It's the same as the Xbox actually, third party publishers are under no obligation to provide a next gen upgrade.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

First official pictures from Sony with the PS5 laying on its side:

Hero_Consoles_Flat.jpg

Also first look at their advertising campaign:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Interesting to see that Sony and Microsoft do the exact same thing with regards to "this gen to next gen" upgrades, but only Microsoft gave it a name (i.e. Smart Delivery).

39 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

It's the same as the Xbox actually, third party publishers are under no obligation to provide a next gen upgrade.

No it's not the same thing, Microsoft are actively pushing it for other publishers (as well as obviously providing it for their first party line-up).

Smart Delivery is a unified upgrade program. Sony leaving it up to the publishers is a free for all and, in line with all their other messaging, pretty hazy.

Has Sony said anything about their first party cross-gen play? Can I put a Ghost of Tsushima disk on PS5 and have it looking and playing better at no extra charge?

And even if it was the same (it isn't), Xbox will have come out on top from a mindshare pov, with the narrative being" "Oh, PS5 doesn't have smart delivery?"

Edited by Ronnie

Thanks for that...it's now stuck in my head.

What a banger. :D Eurotrance is such a magical genre. Timeless.

42 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Why do you even bother? Everything good Sony does will turn into some shady thing that others obviously do way better.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
No it's not the same thing, Microsoft are actively pushing it for other publishers (as well as obviously providing it for their first party line-up).
Smart Delivery is a unified upgrade program. Sony leaving it up to the publishers is a free for all and, in line with all their other messaging, pretty hazy.
Has Sony said anything about their first party cross-gen play? Can I put a Ghost of Tsushima disk on PS5 and have it looking and playing better at no extra charge?
And even if it was the same (it isn't), Xbox will have come out on top from a mindshare pov, with the narrative being" "Oh, PS5 doesn't have smart delivery?"

Microsoft have also left it to the publishers, it's totally up to them whether they choose to do it or not.

You're right about Sony not announcing whether their first party games are all covered, but they also haven't said they're not yet. Regardless, the third party situation is the same.

Also you've done this before - you're now arguing something else. I never said the scheme was exactly the same between systems, I was referring to the third party situation. If we trace how this conversation went down - you originally said "Their silence towards it pretty much made sure that was the case." That was in response to the tweet above which said "the update program for PS4>PS5 software copies will be done at the publisher's own discretion". Now that tweet clearly refers to publishers, as in the publishers of third party games rather than Sony itself.

We are still waiting to hear whether Sony will do this for their own games. By the looks of things though with games like Ratchet and Clank which will be PS5 only, it wouldn't surprise me now if they don't have plans to develop PS5 versions of in-house PS4 exclusives. 

Edited by Sheikah

16 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Microsoft have also left it to the publishers, it's totally up to them whether they choose to do it or not.

You're right about Sony not announcing whether their first party games are all covered, but they also haven't said they're not yet. Regardless, the third party situation is the same.

It's not the same.

"Smart Delivery" is a program instituted by Microsoft that gives publishers a framework to easily upgrade players that bought a XBO version to get the XSX counterpart of that same game.

It's not "a fancy name". They're actively pushing this, yet another pro-consumer move from Xbox that I thought you would appreciate. I wish Playstation would occasionally get in on that sort of action.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's not the same.

"Smart Delivery" is a program instituted by Microsoft that gives publishers a framework to easily upgrade players that bought a XBO version to get the XSX counterpart of that same game.

It's not "a fancy name". They're actively pushing this, yet another pro-consumer move from Xbox that I thought you would appreciate. I wish Playstation would occasionally get in on that sort of action.

Fair enough, I hadn't realised that the upgrade process itself was being standardised on Xbox. Smart Delivery always sounded to me like Microsoft trying to brand something that already existed.

For the PS5 it sounds like it might be more work for each publisher but it does sound as though Sony are actively supporting publishers with it (based on the tweet I could translate). They said it will be easy to do in that tweet, but we'll see.

I must admit I am glad that Microsoft are adding a lot of pro-consumer features like backwards compatibility and game upgrades. I reckon Sony have had to respond to match their offerings in order to compete. Competition is always a good thing.

• Like 2

I think Sony mandating that all PS4 games released after June work natively with the PS5 is a good sign that there will be a similar upgrade path available. All PS4 games will work out of the box on PS5 regardless but they won't take advantage of the improved hardware without a patch that allows them to. I expect The Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima to be enhanced when played on PS5, running at native 4K and potentially higher framerates, but the explicit 'boost mode' that is available for PS4 Pro users to toggle on for unpatched games won't be an option on the new hardware at the start so PS4 games that aren't patched to utilise the unique features of the PS5 will simply run as they had done on stock PS4 or PS4 Pro systems (depending on if the title received a Pro patch or not)

Edited by killthenet

Important Bugsnax update:

Plays similar to Ape Escape is pretty much all I need to know! The original Ape Escape was probably one of my favourite PS1 games.