NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

So Spider-Man is their big launch game? It's weird how they barely showed any of that, I can't really think back to the trailer, might have to watch it again. So in terms of (big) first party reveals it's that, Horizon 2 and Ratchet. 

I think I got it into my head they would make Horizon their launch game so to not even get a date for the sequel is disappointing. 

The launch is still about six months away, there could be more. They're obviously going to do some kind of show for announcing launch details, maybe there's a few more games to be announced there. 

Can it seriously not lie down? How is anyone going to fit that into their TV setup then? At least the XBox One Series X Whateverthenameis is smaller...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Can it seriously not lie down? How is anyone going to fit that into their TV setup then? At least the XBox One Series X Whateverthenameis is smaller...

20200611-222148.jpg

• Like 1

I personally don’t mind too much what it looks like. Most people ram it under their tv units these days and be done with it. I’m more interested in the controller which looks oh so delicious to me. 

There were a tonne of games I was interested in with that last night. Ratchet and Clank being the biggest. Man I love those games. The Sack Boy platformer also looked great and there were a couple of interesting mini trailers for new games that looked like they’d be up my street. 

I will likely get one at launch although I can’t see myself going digital only like a few of you are leaning towards. The digital console looks better, but I generally prefer buying games on disc unless the store has a sale on something I wouldn’t ordinarily pay full price for. 

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Honestly I'm quite surprised how repulsed some people in this topic are by it, haha. To me the thought of possibly switching systems because of the appearance of the box seems rather fruity, but there you go.

Now that Sony nailed their games showing, certain people need other things to complain about ::shrug: Can't wait to see the outrage when the PS5's price is 50 bucks higher than they expected/wanted.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing more about the games (and more games) in the upcoming weeks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

So Spider-Man is their big launch game? It's weird how they barely showed any of that, I can't really think back to the trailer, might have to watch it again. So in terms of (big) first party reveals it's that, Horizon 2 and Ratchet. 

I think I got it into my head they would make Horizon their launch game so to not even get a date for the sequel is disappointing. 

Think back to that diffision of innovation graph I mentioned a few pages back. Your hardcore adoptors won't be swung by a PS5 purchase due to Horizon. It makes more sense to release H2 sometime late in 2021. It's a bit like how Nintendo released their bigger Mario titles (SMO, SMG and even 3DW) about a year after the console actually launched

Ratchet and Spiderman 2 are more than enough for launch. I don't think Demon Soul's will be far off too, nor Gran Turismo.Diffusion-of-Innovation-model.png

Also worth remembering that consoles don't tend to shift huge numbers until the end of that red phase and beginning of the blue phase. 

• Thanks 1

Standing upright, it looks a little bit like the World Cup trophy? Laying down, it looks like a paperback book that you spilt milk over and left to dry on the radiator overnight.

Purely based on looks, it is pretty hideous, but i remember the 360 looking funky when they announced it, and now it's a classic.

Games-wise, Spider-man and Horizon are the ones i'm excited about, but then looking at the release date and comparing it to the release date of Bob Jr, and i'm guessing it'll be a while before i get to play any of them.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Standing upright, it looks a little bit like the World Cup trophy? Laying down, it looks like a paperback book that you spilt milk over and left to dry on the radiator overnight.

Purely based on looks, it is pretty hideous, but i remember the 360 looking funky when they announced it, and now it's a classic.

Games-wise, Spider-man and Horizon are the ones i'm excited about, but then looking at the release date and comparing it to the release date of Bob Jr, and i'm guessing it'll be a while before i get to play any of them.

Would it be worth delaying the release of Bob Jr a few months?

• Weird 1

How disappointing...

A remaster of a 2 year old game? No wonder they didn't show much of it! Pretty dodgy and misleading of them if this is true.

Edited by Ronnie

Remasters at launch (hell, remasters years after a launch) are nothing new but yeah it would have been good for that to be clarified.

Would definitely be nice if it was something totally new. As someone that didn’t play it originally I’ll look forward to playing this expanded version but I’d definitely be disappointed if I’d already played it,

I see that the PS5 is doomed, given how many people appear to be massively disappointed about this news. As if this changes anything with regards to the myriad of other games that have been announced.

Remasters/upgraded versions were inevitable and pretty much every one expected them from day one.

Insomniac Games were able to deliver this new version and the new Ratchet and Clank so that's actually quite impressive to me.

Spiderman is a huge sell, especially because going to be an expanded edition. A full sequel will be a couple of years away, but it's a solid interim.

At least there's Ratchet and Clank as a launch day game you would assume, it's just disappointing to be looking forward to Spider-Man thanks to Playstation's typically hazy and misleading messaging, and then finding out it's not actually a new game. :blush:

I'm sure it'll sell well though.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

At least there's Ratchet and Clank as a launch day game you would assume, it's just disappointing to be looking forward to Spider-Man thanks to Playstation's typically hazy and misleading messaging, and then finding out it's not actually a new game. :blush:

I'm sure it'll sell well though.

Remember, Spiderman on PS4 sold so well because of when they released it - the system was widely available at a much lower price (including the $199 black Friday offer) so it appealed to new console owners and existing console owners. For me it's the perfect year 3-4 game. I imagine a lot of young children loved the original on PS4 and they aren't going to be the ones purchasing a PS5.

Speaking on price...I'm guessing the all digital version will be the cheaper option. Perhaps that will release at something like £350 and the other one at £400+? Sony make insane money from downloads so they could be pretty aggressive there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Remember, Spiderman on PS4 sold so well because of when they released it - the system was widely available at a much lower price (including the $199 black Friday offer) so it appealed to new console owners and existing console owners. For me it's the perfect year 3-4 game. I imagine a lot of young children loved the original on PS4 and they aren't going to be the ones purchasing a PS5.

I get the business decisions for it, I was expecting them to have a major release for the PS5 launch but I never expected it to be Spider-Man, it's more the way it was shown off and messaged that I find annoying. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

Yeah the announcement could have been a lot better. They did seem to act as if they had to keep things very light which I kind of appreciate but maybe spending less time on GTAV would have given them time to at least elaborate on things here and there.

It all makes sense now!

• Thanks 1

In a world where number of views, likes and dislikes have become a good measurement of popularity and outreach, the numbers Sony raked in with yesterday's presentation and trailers are insane.

According to Esports Charts, the PS5 reveal event broadcast peaked at over 7 million viewers, which is staggering. That number includes all of the official streams, as well as all of the restreams from streamers who watched along with their own audiences. The average viewership across the entire broadcast -- which includes the hour-long wait at the start -- was around 4 million. Crazy numbers.

Individual videos uploaded to YouTube after the fact have also performed incredibly well. Horizon Forbidden West's announcement trailer currently has 2.5 million views, while Demon's Souls sits at a healthy 1 million. Elsewhere, Gran Turismo 7 and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart are on 1.2 million each, while Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales leads the pack at a whopping 4.3 million.

Unsurprisingly, though, it's the hardware reveal itself that's blown up. The PS5 console reveal trailer currently has 10 million views, complete with 641,000 likes and only 22,000 dislikes. That's a great ratio for a system that looks so bold in its design.

I always thought Sony knew exactly what they were doing with their occasional drip-feeds of information so this news comes as no surprise to me.

Solid numbers but 4-7 million coming from a PS4 install-base of 100 million is hardly 'insane'.

And for context, another couple of million YouTube views and it'll have reached the Series X reveal. Another 33 million views and it'll reach the Switch reveal trailer numbers.

Edited by Ronnie

In case anybody's interested, here's the song of the hardware reveal:

Spoiler

I knew I've heard that song before. I've actually listened to MF Greaves' EP sometime in March when it was recommended to me on Spotify. :D

Edited by drahkon

Spider-man being a remaster actually tempts me a little more. I haven't got around to it on PS4 yet, so I could now hold off until PS5... 

All depends on whether the price of the console is palatable. I don't have too much game time these days so I'm sure there won't be a lack of software for me. 

19 minutes ago, drahkon said:

In a world where number of views, likes and dislikes have become a good measurement of popularity and outreach, the numbers Sony raked in with yesterday's presentation and trailers are insane.

I always thought Sony knew exactly what they were doing with their occasional drip-feeds of information so this news comes as no surprise to me.

IIRC, that's about over double what the Switch reveal did in the same span of time. Individual trailer performance is also insanely high. The PS5 hardware reveal video on its own already has 9.5M views, compared to the XSX reveal which is only at 11M. It should pass it by the end of the day.

For content, Microsoft released a new XSX video on social yesterday and it's currently on just 300K views on YouTube.

Edited by Goron_3

3 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

For content, Microsoft released a new XSX video on social yesterday and it's currently on just 300K views on YouTube.

Seems like a pretty bad decision to me :D

2 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

You really can't compare a new console reveal, to a 30 second ad for something already known about.

6 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

IIRC, that's about over double what the Switch reveal did in the same span of time.

Switch reveal did 11 million overnight, so similar numbers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Solid numbers but 4-7 million coming from a PS4 install-base of 100 million is hardly 'insane'.

And for context, another couple of million YouTube views and it'll have reached the Series X reveal. Another 33 million views and it'll reach the Switch reveal trailer numbers.

Well it's not like all 100 million would have tuned in (and a number of those will have bought the console multiple times) and Asia and Australasia would have been sleeping so it's not bad really. It's a higher figure than a lot ofTV shows nowadays!