NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2024-spec-analysis-playstation-5-pro-the-most-powerful-console-yet

Sounds like DF aren’t impressed with the leaked specs…

Essentially a 45% GPU raster improvement, a 10% CPU improvement and enough extra RT performance to turn on an extra PC feature or two.

Unless PSSR turns out to be a DLSS level miracle, this sounds like it’s gonna be a fairly minor upgrade (less of an upgrade than PS4 Pro was even).

I thought a 45% boost is bigger than PS4 Pro was, no? I do think the PS4 Pro was much more necessary though, given how weak the base console was even at launch.

I think it'll be interesting if all console rumours come true - i.e. the PS5 Pro and revised Xbox models. You'd have thought Xbox would release a Pro model too - I don't think it'll go down well if they're just launching discless models with no other upgrades.

DF seem to think it won't be too much of a price increase (around £100 more than the base PS5) so I guess I was wrong on that score.

The PSSR definitely seems like the only interesting addition but probably won't be enough to get me to upgrade - I only play a handful of games on my PS5 each year as it is so I don't think it would make sense for me to buy the Pro.

8 hours ago, killthenet said:

DF seem to think it won't be too much of a price increase (around £100 more than the base PS5) so I guess I was wrong on that score.

The PSSR definitely seems like the only interesting addition but probably won't be enough to get me to upgrade - I only play a handful of games on my PS5 each year as it is so I don't think it would make sense for me to buy the Pro.

PS5's RRP is currently £479.99 (post price-increase), so that still puts it dangerously close to £599.99/$699.99 as I predicted.

PS4 Pro sold for the same RRP as what the base PS4 cost when it first came out (£349.99/$399.99), but I don't think that's gonna happen again in today's CPI hellscape.

PS5's RRP is currently £479.99 (post price-increase), so that still puts it dangerously close to £599.99/$699.99 as I predicted.
PS4 Pro sold for the same RRP as what the base PS4 cost when it first came out (£349.99/$399.99), but I don't think that's gonna happen again in today's CPI hellscape.

Almost certainly the PS5 base model will be officially reduced in price soon, so I wouldn't go adding £100 onto the current RRP. The base model is already unofficially reduced - being sold for £389 just this/last week on Amazon and reduced at many other places too.

I think the PS5 Pro will be £529 to £549 at most or thereabouts. Don't think they will go to £579 or £599 though, that would be just too much and put people off.

24 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I think the PS5 Pro will be £529 to £549 at most or thereabouts. Don't think they will go to £579 or £599 though, that would be just too much and put people off.

In recent years the PlayStation brand has pivoted to be seen as a manufacturer of premium products. I could be wrong but I don't think they would have an issue charging a very high amount. I mean, the PSVR2 launched at a very steep price, despite many saying it was too high and wouldn't sell. Granted, that's an add on and not a console. 

In recent years the PlayStation brand has pivoted to be seen as a manufacturer of premium products. I could be wrong but I don't think they would have an issue charging a very high amount. I mean, the PSVR2 launched at a very steep price, despite many saying it was too high and wouldn't sell. Granted, that's an add on and not a console. 
But look at how well the PSVR2 did...they've discontinued production because units are piling up. They must surely realise that people aren't in the mood to be spending so much at this time. They need to get the sweet spot right where enough people will buy it.

Just now, Sheikah said:

But look at how well the PSVR2 did...they've discontinued production because units are piling up. They must surely realise that people aren't in the mood to be spending so much at this time. They need to get the sweet spot right where enough people will buy it.

Very true. Hopefully they have learnt something from that scenario.

• Like 1

Like the story I posted yesterday in the Xbox thread, Chris Dring once again speaks about what he heard when talking to developers at GDC.

There have been two big stories on the ground at GDC this year: Xbox’s flatlining brand and the purpose of the PS5 Pro. Speaking as part of a podcast, GamesIndustry.biz’s well-connected reporter Christopher Dring noted that he didn’t meet a “single person” at the show that understood the point of Sony’s mid-gen upgrade, which is rumoured to release later this year.

He clarified that he expects “PS5 fans” to upgrade, and thus there are inherent advantages for Sony. But games makers are struggling to get excited about the system. “Developers don’t really seem to feel they need it, at least the ones I spoke to,” he revealed. “Many feel they’re not really making the most out of the PS5 in the first place.”

Due to the aftermath of the pandemic and extremely long development cycles, we’ve not really seen a huge number of tentpole PS5 exclusives yet. “A couple of companies said this isn’t going to grow the market – it’s not going to move the needle,” Dring shrugged. “This generation doesn’t even seem to have got started really, let alone feel the need for a mid-generation update. How about we just get some original, next-generation software up and spinning?”

The journalist later clarified that he imagines Sony has reasonable expectations for the refresh, and the company knows it’s probably going to have niche overall appeal. As we’ve reported previously, innovative new features like PlayStation Spectral Resolution likely exist to improve the capacity of Performance Modes in titles like Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Therefore, if that sort of thing appeals to you, you probably belong to the small segment of the market PlayStation is targeting.

Pretty much what I and many others have been saying. There's simply no need for the upgrade when they've barely scratched the surface with the tech they are currently using.

• Like 1

When the PlayStation 5 console launched in 2020, we introduced Game Help to enable players to easily access hints, tips, or walkthrough videos without leaving the game to help them progress through a level, obtain a trophy, or find a coveted hidden item.

We're always evolving the PS5 console experience, and today, we are happy to announce a new enhancement for Game Help launching later this year: Community Game Help. Community Game Help will add to the current Game Help experience by expanding the library of helpful game hints, incorporating videos that are automatically generated from gameplay footage of players who have opted in to contribute.

When the enhanced Game Help experience featuring content from the community launches, Game Help will be available to all PS5 players, with or without a PlayStation Plus subscription. In supported games, PS5 players will be able to contribute their gameplay, view hints from fellow gamers, or access Game Help hints created by developers. Game developers can also continue to create their own hint videos, as seen in popular titles available today like The Last of Us Part II Remastered and Marvel's Spider-Man 2.

This process will be done automatically, so you don't need to edit or upload your clips for submission. Only your raw game footage will be uploaded, so images and audio from your webcam, microphone, or party chat audio will not be shared with the moderator or the community. Depending on the game you're playing, your video may include online IDs or chat messages that are shown on your game screen.

• Like 1