NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I think you're getting confused with Microsoft's studios here. emoji14.png

Nope.  I'm just expecting Square-Enix to pull a Square-Enix.  This is SO going the way of Agni's Philosophy and FF 13 Versus.

Likewise, Pragmata has Deep Down written all over it... (And if it makes you feel any better, Capcom have already announced that Pragmata is coming to Series X and PC as well as PS5; so it won't be a loss for Sony really when it inevitably kicks the bucket :p)

Edited by Dcubed

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Not so much a conspiracy theory so much as it is just common sense.

Sony needs retailers to sell their games and hardware; retailers need to be able to make a margin on the games they sell (since they make next to no margin on the hardware).  Therefore, Sony needs to ensure price parity with retail, or retailers will refuse to stock their hardware (why would retailers actively spite themselves and sell a piece of hardware that they end up just losing money on, without the ability to sell games to make up the margin? It's The Razor and Blades model without the Blades!)

See the PSP Go and how it ended up having a great big whacking retailer margin bolted onto the price (making it way more expensive than any other PSP model).

Well I didn't know how 'confirmed' it was but yeah it makes sense. Kind of like why renting Trolls is £16. 

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Well I guess that's sort of an exclusive?

Really petty.  But what else are they gonna do for content?

Yeah not a great practice.

Sounds like Kena and Little devil inside are console exclusive as well.

The £10 more per game would only be if I buy a game at launch as well, otherwise I'd get it in a sale much later.

Genuinely think the last game I got at launch was Destiny 2! I still don't have God of War or Spiderman, and games like Horizon, FF15, Detroit and loads more I haven't started yet!

Not just more expensive at launch - even years later, unless there's a sale on the storefront you can usually expect to save either by buying preowned or even new disc copies if you shop around. Often it can be a pretty significant saving as well.

It's a shame they don't price digital copies competitively - they see nothing from preowned game sales after all.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm still waiting for Wild

That one makes me sad. What's worse is they're still apparently working away on it but haven't got anything to show as of yet ::shrug: guess if Ancel wasn't busy with BG&E2 then maybe it would have turned up.

I thought it was a fantastic showing. The mix of smaller indie and big third and first party titles was well balanced bar the Bugsnax game and maybe Astro's Playroom. Didn't like the look of Godfall but I'm sure plenty will like it.

I'm surprised Spiderman is aiming for launch (period). Theres been plenty of talk that Sony want it out as quick as possible to drive launch sales (a potential sign of a high launch price for the console and an big title to draw people in inspite of this perhaps?) but I honestly thought it would be 2021. Looks like more Spiderman so that's ok, I just hope they don't follow the same open world template as the first and make it a big less like a Ubisoft title with the secondary activities.

Horizon Forbidden West is a way off. That's not hitting until year 2 (if I had to guess, I suspect we'll see an initial launch date of holiday 2021 but a delay to March 2022). But it looks absolutely fantastic and exactly what I want from a sequel.

Elsewhere, Kena looked great as did the Annapurna games. Deathloop looks great mechanically and stylistically and would be a great get for Sony as a timed exclusive if that's true. Housemarque's new title looked interesting but that title has to change. Returnal is just such a bad name. I'm surprised with the Capcom title, Pragmata. Will it be another Deep Down? We'll see. Surely they won't want to lose face with another instance of that especially after getting back on the wagon with their games in the latter half of this gen. And Square Enix's title, Agni's Philosophy... sorry Project Athia looked interesting but again looked more tech demo than anything.

But by and large, a good showing game wise. And clearly more to come with the clips from devs at the end there (was cool to see Eka and Austin Wintory in there, guessing The Pathless is PS5 bound).

The console does look like a router but I do like the look of it. Would prefer a different colour scheme but I'll make do. The digital only version is an interesting move. I hope they're going to get some parity with digital game prices in their store compared to physical as that's really been a bit of an issue. £59.99 digital compared to £49.99 physical has been the standard more or less but maybe that's to prepare for the inevitable price increase for games next gen (I'm guessing we'll see £59.99 physical regularly this time around, maybe £54.99).

The ball is squarely in Microsoft's court to show the goods now. I'm sold on the PS5 regardless though. Was always intending to pick it up as I knew Horizon 2 would come but that really does look great and so do some of those indie titles.

• Thanks 1

Went through the trailers and here's a rundown:

PlayStation 5 exclusive titles

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PlayStation exclusive (no YouTube description, but PS5 is a safe bet)
Returnal - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Destruction AllStars - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Sackboy A Big Adventure - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Gran Tourismo 7 - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Demon's Souls - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Horizon Forbidden West - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
Astro's Playroom - PlayStation exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")

PlayStation 5 timed console exclusive titles

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5)
Project Athia - timed console exclusive (YouTube description says "With the PlayStation 5, their vision truly comes to life")
Stray - timed console exclusive (YouTube description says "coming to PlayStation 5")
GhostWire: Tokyo - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5)
Godfall - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5)
DEATHLOOP - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5)

PlayStation 4 and 5 timed console exclusive titles

Oddworld Soulstorm - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5 and PS4)
Goodbye Volcano High - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5 and PS4)
JETT: The Far Shore - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5 and PS4)
Solar Ash - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5 and PS4)
Little Devil inside - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5 and PS4)
Bugsnax - timed console exclusive (trailer shows PS5 and PS4)

Non-exclusive titles

NBA 2k21 - no exclusivity (YouTube description says "NBA 2K21 is built from the ground up for PS5. Get ready for Next Gen graphics, load times, and power")
Resident Evil Village - no exclusivity (YouTube description says "a new chapter of survival horror on PlayStation 5 in 2021")
Hitman III - no exclusivity (YouTube description says "Hitman III is available January 2021 for PS5 and PS4")

Weird outlier

Pragmata - ??? (YouTube description says "a brand new game from Capcom, now in development for PlayStation 5 launching in 2022")

For a first showing, this is insane. They nailed it and revealing the console in the end was just icing on the cake.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Remedy have just confirmed Control will be getting a port to the PS5 (and XSX):

Should iron out some of the frame rate issues with that game. But also should mean that the ray tracing seen in the PC version will carry over to the PS5. Game looked phenomenal on PC with that turned on and with the next expansion, AWE tying in with Alan Wake, I think I'd be tempted to wait and just play on the PS5.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Not just more expensive at launch - even years later, unless there's a sale on the storefront you can usually expect to save either by buying preowned or even new disc copies of you shop around. Sometimes it can be pretty significant as well.

Yeah, but when I'm getting Horizon for like £15, or God of War for £13 (current price on the store), how much more am I going to save by getting some groggy, scratched, second hand copy that takes up space? Factor in the fact that I would have to look for a good deal online, then wait for it to arrive 2/3 days later - it's just extra faff I can't be bothered dealing with.

I genuinely just hate physical media as well!

• Like 1

Yeah, but when I'm getting Horizon for like £15, or God of War for £13 (current price on the store), how much more am I going to save by getting some groggy, scratched, second hand copy that takes up space? Factor in the fact that I would have to look for a good deal online, then wait for it to arrive 2/3 days later - it's just extra faff I can't be bothered dealing with.
I genuinely just hate physical media as well!
Sure, if you wait til now, a few months before the next console launches, those are some good prices. It's also worth noting that these games are all in the PlayStation Hits £16 range which took quite a while to come about. There's a lot of games that aren't in the Hits range that can be picked up for £5-10 pre-owned in places like GAME that will be quite a bit more on the storefront. I'm looking at you, Doom.

Ultimately though it's an unknown and a punt to go digital only I think - we have no idea how quickly Sony will put together a discounted Hits range for PS5 so it could be quite a while before we see meaningful reductions and sales.

In fairness shops aren't open for you to buy second hand at the moment so I think @Eddage wins this round 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Sure, if you wait til now, a few months before the next console launches, those are some good prices. emoji14.png It's also worth noting that these games are all in the PlayStation Hits £16 range which took quite a while to come about. There's a lot of games that aren't in the Hits range that can be picked up for £5-10 pre-owned in places like GAME that will be quite a bit more on the storefront. I'm looking at you, Doom.

Ultimately though it's an unknown and a punt to go digital only I think - we have no idea how quickly Sony will put together a discounted Hits range for PS5 so it could be quite a while before we see meaningful reductions and sales.

Yeah, but for me it's a no brainer given my hatred for clutter :heh:

• Like 1

Yeah, it's much bigger than I thought it would be...

dzQWbkT.jpg

Mockup made by comparing BD Drive size

This thing is a PC tower! Hopefully that means that it won't sound like a jet engine this time at least...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

dzQWbkT.jpg

This thing is a PC tower! Hopefully that means that it won't sound like a jet engine this time at least...
It looks long but not quite fat enough to be a convincing PC tower. I'm surprised how much smaller the total volume looks than the Series X. Hopefully the ventilation doesn't suffer because of that!

Not a fan of the design, though I don't hate it either. I'll get the inevitable cooler mini version down the line.

Interesting that I'm a troll just because I'm not excited for anything I saw.. or is this me feeding you, @Sheikah? ::shrug:

Like I said.. I wish I could feel the enthusiasm that the rest of you feel but I don't.

I'll make sure to fall in line next time, though.

Interesting that I'm a troll just because I'm not excited for anything I saw.. or is this me feeding you, [mention=2464]Sheikah[/mention]? ::shrug: Like I said.. I wish I could feel the enthusiasm that the rest of you feel but I don't. I'll make sure to fall in line next time, though.

No one was calling you a troll, don't worry. :heh:

Generally speaking, could it be that you're going off gaming? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that your interests were pretty specific.

34 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

No one was calling you a troll, don't worry. :heh:

Generally speaking, could it be that you're going off gaming? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that your interests were pretty specific.

I feel like my interests narrow with each passing year so you're not wrong there :hmm:

I still love games but I've struggled to be excited for games on PlayStation and XBOX for generations now.

Nintendo always keep me ticking along but there's even been a shift in their output over the last decade that is focusing on games and franchises that aren't what I've grown to love.

It is what it is.

People can judge and say I'm miserable or whatever but try to put yourself in my position where nothing gives you joy :blank:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was fun watching this event with you in the N-E chat @drahkon :D

Also thanks for putting all those titles into list form, I've borrowed it and whittled the titles down to the ones I'm interested in, the developer and when they are out...

PlayStation 5 exclusive titles

• Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Insomniac - launch day? Possibly
  • Returnal - Housemarque - launch day? Guaranteed, surely?
  • Gran Turismo 7 - Polyphony Digital - launch day? lol no
  • Demon's Souls - From Software - launch day? Maybe
  • Horizon Forbidden West - Guerrilla - launch day? Probably not

PlayStation 5 timed console exclusive titles

• Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Ember Lab - launch day? Nope
  • Project Athia - Luminous Productions (Square-Enix) launch day? Yeah... no, 2025 more like
  • GhostWire: Tokyo - Tango Softworks - launch day? Nope, 2021

PlayStation 4 and 5 timed console exclusive titles

• Oddworld Soulstorm - Oddworld Inhabitants Inc - launch day? Unlikely
  • Solar Ash - Nah, 2021

Non-exclusive titles

• Resident Evil Village - Capcom - launch day? No way, 2021

So that's eleven titles I'm potentially interested in, of which five are exclusive and maybe only one or two will be launch games.

The console design is... ::shrug: I'd only consider the version with a disc drive, if it was available in one colour then I'd be a little bit more interested in it but it's not that important.

To me, it's looking like 2021 at the earliest, if I'd be buying one at all and by that time, might as well wait until 2022, see if it gets a better redesign and/or a slight price drop.

I really don't want to drop £500+ on a new console, that isn't a possibility for me right now, even if it was, I still don't think I'd do it.

We'll see what the Xbox Series X brings soon enought as well but, I can't see that convincing me either, certainly not at launch.

It was a good showing for the console, if I'm being brutally honest though, there's still only maybe four games in that entire reduced list which I really, definitely want to play.

• Like 1

I'm increasingly like that myself @nekunando

Although there weren't any must haves in there for me, the volume of indie showings was promising and I think they did a pretty solid job overall. With that said, a lot of indie stuff seems like its trying to capture the look and feel of Journey. You see it everywhere now.

The real distinctive and artistically exceptional game for me was Little Devil Inside, but that's coming to PS4 too. Jett: The Far Shore also looked cool - it's the first Superbrothers game since Sword and Sworcery if anyone remembers that? That was far from a perfect game but it definitely gave me vibes.

Pragmata could be anything from the most ambitious game, to the most interesting, to the most Stranding-like game ever (i.e. dogshit). More details needed to be able to place it.

Regardless of the presentation, I knew I'd be picking up a PS5 for the next NaughtyDog and Battlefield games anyway, plus one or two other things that catch my eye over the next cycle. I only really bought a couple of games each year this gen, and while that might not be enough to keep most people here ticking over, it's plenty for me these days. I'm sure that'll be the same next gen too.

• Thanks 1

So Spider-Man is their big launch game? It's weird how they barely showed any of that, I can't really think back to the trailer, might have to watch it again. So in terms of (big) first party reveals it's that, Horizon 2 and Ratchet. 

I think I got it into my head they would make Horizon their launch game so to not even get a date for the sequel is disappointing. 

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

dzQWbkT.jpg

So not only is it the ugliest console ever but it’s also ridiculously huge to the point it won’t actually fit anywhere to hide it away? Having slept on it a little I’m really having trouble putting into words how much I hate the design of this console. If it wasn’t for the huge (IMO, of course) advantage this has on the games side I’d be considering moving camps to the Xbox it’s so bad.

I was having a bit more of a think on whether the digital only version was better, the only real downside for me is whether my library can fit on the console. I recently had to delete a few things from my PS4 which got me worried. However I still have 50 games on it so I’m not too worried. Unless some great reason for having the disc drive comes up I’ll definitely be going digital.

Edited by will'

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

dzQWbkT.jpg

I didn't think anything could make this thing look uglier but putting it next to the Series X and showing just how enormous it is has done it :blank:

And it looks like it could be even bigger, the BD drive looks pretty small there compared to the PS4/Series X

Honestly I'm quite surprised how repulsed some people in this topic are by it, haha. To me the thought of possibly switching systems because of the appearance of the box seems rather fruity, but there you go.

I can't be alone in generally not having too much of an opinion on how consoles look, right? To me it looks...fine. I mean, it's a box. I can't remember the last time I thought a console looked good. Maybe the Wii?

At the end of the day it's going to sit in my TV cabinet out of sight. The controller I'll see a lot more of but the box itself...eh.

I am a hobbyist artist and I feel obliged to say that the PS5 is one of the ugliest consoles I've ever seen.

Why has it got side flaps!? I sure hope you like dust because that thing is going to have so much in hard-to-reach places.

It's actually a little gross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1