NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Resident Evil 8 and Demon's Souls were the only big games that I'm interested in, I haven't played the first Horizon yet so can't say I'm too interested in that series but it definitely looked impressive. Horizon and Ratchet were the only technically impressive games, the only ones that looked like a jump over what the PS4 was capable of. 

There were very few exclusives, I expected more third party exclusives but the only one was the FF spin off wasn't it?

I think the console looks beautiful! Clearly a very divisive design going by peoples reactions :heh:

Absolutely love that they have a digital only version that will presumably be the cheaper SKU. I haven't put a disc in my PS4 for years now so will definitely going digital only!

One of the nice things about these events is seeing all the devs on Twitter afterwards so excited about being able to talk about what they've been up to. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eddage said:

I think the console looks beautiful! Clearly a very divisive design going by peoples reactions :heh:

Absolutely love that they have a digital only version that will presumably be the cheaper SKU. I haven't put a disc in my PS4 for years now so will definitely going digital only!

I haven’t bought a disc since the day I bought my machine, pretty certain I’ll go digital only too. Double win if it’s a nice amount cheaper.

I think the console looks beautiful! Clearly a very divisive design going by peoples reactions :heh:Absolutely love that they have a digital only version that will presumably be the cheaper SKU. I haven't put a disc in my PS4 for years now so will definitely going digital only!

Surprised by that, boxed games are almost always cheaper in my experience, and a digital only version would stop you playing pre-owned games. I'm not tying myself to one storefront!

I often see digital games at full RRP at launch too.

I have a mixture of disc and digital games for my PS4 and it'll probably be the same for the PS5. I'd want it as a 4k player anyway.

I’m in, loads of games I want in there. Don’t mind the crazy console design either.

Sounds like Ghostwire and Deathloop will be timed exclusives.

• Like 1

I try to go digital as much as possible, but still want the choice of being able to buy disc games if there's a cheap deal for a game that I want. But, can't wait until the prices come down in digital games. Disc games take up so much storage space and...they just kinda sit there doing nothing. It's a bit of a waste. Best thing we did in the last few years was getting rid of all of our DVDs. Suddenly had all of this space available to us.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Surprised by that, boxed games are almost always cheaper in my experience, and a digital only version would stop you playing pre-owned games. I'm not thing myself to one storefront!

I often see digital games at full RRP at launch too.

I would happily pay £10 more to not have to deal with discs and I haven't bought a second hand game in maybe a decade.

I also buy a lot of my games during the Playstation store sales, I think I got Horizon for £15. I haven't bought a game at launch for a long time since my backlog is so large :heh: 

I like the design, deffo not what I was expecting.  Brilliant that they have a digital only version I didnt see that coming.  

So what do we reckon for price now?

PS5 - £500 to £550

Digital £400 - £450

I'll be going digital, for sure.

Also... calling it now.  Pragmata will never see a release.  It'll be Deep Down all over again.

A few are saying it looks like the old sky tv box - hard to disagree. :D

Ratchet looked great- it’s always a good looker for PlayStation. 

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Also... calling it now.  Pragmata will never see a release.  It'll be Deep Down all over again.

Yeah and where was Dead Island 2 lol.

Sign me up to team 'console looks nasty AF'

Loads of great stuff on how there - very to my taste with lots of cool indie or stylised sort of stuff. Even if not many are exclusives, makes me excited about games over the next couple of years.

Kena and Little Devil inside I loved; loads of personality. Deahtloop, Jett, Returnal, ghostwire, cat robot game, rocket league smash em up game, all look a blast. Camaan!

Surprised so many of y'all are up for the digital version. Disk all the way for me

• Like 1

Just now, Cookyman said:

Yeah and where was Dead Island 2 lol.

I'm still waiting for Wild

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Map said:

I’m in, loads of games I want in there. Don’t mind the crazy console design either.

Sounds like Ghostwire and Deathloop will be timed exclusives.

Well I guess that's sort of an exclusive?

Really petty.  But what else are they gonna do for content?

18 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Resident Evil 8 and Demon's Souls were the only big games that I'm interested in, I haven't played the first Horizon yet so can't say I'm too interested in that series but it definitely looked impressive. Horizon and Ratchet were the only technically impressive games, the only ones that looked like a jump over what the PS4 was capable of. 

There were very few exclusives, I expected more third party exclusives but the only one was the FF spin off wasn't it?

That Resident Evil trailer was greeeeeeeat. Lost my shit a little at that "Village" title reveal.

I still need to play 7. Might get around to it, this Summer. 

I would happily pay £10 more to not have to deal with discs and I haven't bought a second hand game in maybe a decade.
I also buy a lot of my games during the Playstation store sales, I think I got Horizon for £15. I haven't bought a game at launch for a long time since my backlog is so large :heh: 
£10 more per game? Do you mind lending me some cash? Sounds like you've got money to spare there.

I buy some digital games in sales but I've also got some excellent bargains over the years that were on disc (including pre-owned). I guess my concern is that going digital only would mean all prices would be dictated by Sony. You either wait until an unknown point for the game you want to be on sale or you pay over the odds.

Sony and Microsoft really need to address their digital pricing IMO. They're making more profit from digital yet charging more.

4 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Apparently each PS5 comes with a copy of the Astrobot sequel!

It's not really a sequel, it's a tech demo playground; sort of like the Playstation VR Playroom.  Neat that it gets bundled in for free though.

Oh BTW, another "bold" prediction.  Project Athia will also never actually see a release.

Edited by Dcubed

Wasn't there some suggestion (conspiracy theory?) that there was some agreement with retailers to not undercut them or something like that and that's why digital games are the price they are?

Just now, Sheikah said:

£10 more per game? Do you mind lending me some cash? Sounds like you've got money to spare there. emoji14.png

I buy some digital games in sales but I've also got some excellent bargains over the years that were on disc (including pre-owned). I guess my concern is that going digital only would mean all prices would be dictated by Sony. You either wait until an unknown point for the game you want to be on sale or you pay over the odds.

Sony and Microsoft really need to address their digital pricing IMO. They're making more profit from digital yet charging more.

The £10 more per game would only be if I buy a game at launch as well, otherwise I'd get it in a sale much later.

Genuinely think the last game I got at launch was Destiny 2! I still don't have God of War or Spiderman, and games like Horizon, FF15, Detroit and loads more I haven't started yet!

It's not really a sequel, it's a tech demo playground; sort of like the Playstation VR Playroom.  Neat that it gets bundled in for free though.

Oh BTW, another "bold" prediction.  Project Athia will also never actually see a release.
I think you're getting confused with Microsoft's studios here.

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Wasn't there some suggestion (conspiracy theory?) that there was some agreement with retailers to not undercut them or something like that?

Not so much a conspiracy theory so much as it is just common sense.

Sony needs retailers to sell their games and hardware; retailers need to be able to make a margin on the games they sell (since they make next to no margin on the hardware).  Therefore, Sony needs to ensure price parity with retail, or retailers will refuse to stock their hardware (why would retailers actively spite themselves and sell a piece of hardware that they end up just losing money on, without the ability to sell games to make up the margin? It's The Razor and Blades model without the Blades!)

See the PSP Go and how it ended up having a great big whacking retailer margin bolted onto the price (making it way more expensive than any other PSP model).

Edited by Dcubed