NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I wasn't initially sold on this, purely because I'm not a fan of the white look. It's almost an invitation and party banner to dirt city. Also not sure about having the face buttons lack colour. Until @Eenuh pointed out to me that you never really look at the controller anyway when playing...which is absolutely right. (still will probably get a coloured one. Red or blue for me)

I'll end up getting a Playstation 5 anyway, then get used to the controller, and then forget about this uncertainty anyway. Who's going to give a shit when we're blowing up all kinds of shit in GTA6...

Looks ridic, but at least they're trying something new.

I'm guessing they backtrack and release the Dualshock 5 instead - exactly the same as the 4.
I'm guessing they absolutely won't do that.

I'd forgotten all about this...

For what it's worth I like the aesthetic. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I'd forgotten all about this...

For what it's worth I like the aesthetic. 

Oh my god. Look at those shoulder buttons. I also hate how uncomfortably close the O button is to the "edge" of the controller. It's horrific. Bwahahaha.

Oh my god. Look at those shoulder buttons. I also hate how uncomfortably close the O button is to the "edge" of the controller. It's horrific. Bwahahaha.
It was the height of Sony arrogance. Pure reinvention of the wheel!

I think the colour is my main issue with it too, would much prefer it in black.

I would love to be able to own one of those prototype PS3 controllers, such a bonkers design. 

Just now, Sheikah said:
2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It was the height of Sony arrogance. Pure reinvention of the wheel!

In fairness if you put two together you end up with a wheel 🥁

Just now, Ashley said:

In fairness if you put two together you end up with a wheel 🥁

I've never seen it before but...the controller kinda looks like lego hair.

Biggest takeaway is they've finally ditched the usual DualShock shape and gone for the more comfortable Xbox/Switch Pro type mould. 

Any word on battery life? Hopefully better than the pitiful 4 hours on the DS4.

• Like 1

There's been a word, "better". I don't think there's been a number yet though. 

Biggest takeaway is they've finally ditched the usual DualShock shape and gone for the more comfortable Xbox/Switch Pro type mould. 
Any word on battery life? Hopefully better than the pitiful 4 hours on the DS4.
Something is definitely wrong with your controller if it's only lasting 4 hours!

I'm glad they stuck with the symmetrical stick placement. Also, this internet mockup of colours makes me excited for coloured versions.

ieytrqsitgr41.png

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Something is definitely wrong with your controller if it's only lasting 4 hours!

Sony's own estimates say 4-8 hours. Basically lasts me a couple of sessions before running out of battery.

Sony's own estimates say 4-8 hours. Basically lasts me a couple of sessions before running out of battery.

How long did you have the controller for? And what light setting was it on? I'm just wondering because regardless of what Sony say (probably to cover themselves), it should be more like 8-10 based on my experience with 5 different pads over the years. I know you didn't play your PS4 much so maybe it was running out of juice between plays, which I know happened with my Wii U controller.

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
26 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

How long did you have the controller for? And what light setting was it on? I'm just wondering because regardless of what Sony say (probably to cover themselves), it should be more like 8-10 based on my experience with 5 different pads over the years. I know you didn't play your PS4 much so maybe it was running out of juice between plays, which I know happened with my Wii U controller.

I've bought 3 different controllers over the years, all the same. 4, 5 at most.

A quick search on Google shows most people in the 4-8 range that Sony themselves state: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2n5wwg/what_is_the_average_battery_life_of_the/

Some even say 3 hours. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread to talk about the DS4, as long as this new one is closer to the 30-40 hour range of their competition I'll be happy. 

Edited by Ronnie

I've bought 3 different controllers over the years, all the same. 4, 5 at most.

A quick search on Google shows most people in the 4-8 range that Sony themselves state: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2n5wwg/what_is_the_average_battery_life_of_the/

Some even say 3 hours. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread to talk about the DS4, as long as this new one is closer to the 30-40 hour range of their competition I'll be happy. 

Well it depends how long the people in that thread had their PS4 controllers for. I noticed on a controller that I'd had for years that the battery life was nowhere near what it used to be. That said if I bought a new controller knowing it should have 4-8 hours I'd sure be returning it if it started out on 4.

For DualSense Sony have said that battery is one of the areas this has improved on, so I'd be expecting at least 10 hours here.

I'm not the biggest fan of the look of it overall, but that might be down to the colours. I miss the coloured icons, and I'm not the biggest fan of the curve at the top, or the curvier lines in general...it's certainly lost the distinct look of the DualShock controllers, and looks much closer to the Xbox and Switch Pro controllers as others have mentioned here. I'm all for that in terms of the potential for improved comfort (though I've never had any comfort issues with my DS4 like I did with the DS2 growing up), and it will all quickly be forgotten if the thing is comfortable. Also love that the arrows have finally moved onto the D-pad buttons now, like with the PSP and Vita, that's the probably the biggest visual change I appreciate.

Like others, I hope it lasts longer on a single charge. Much longer. USB-C and faster charging times will be great, but it means little if the range stays the same. The official range for the PS4 controller of anywhere from 4 - 8 hours is quite frankly unacceptable considering the battery life seen elsewhere, and it being my main console and getting the most regular use, it does become apparent at times. I'd love if this thing could last for 40+ hours on a single charge. The touch pad remaining is something I don't have a strong opinion about, but I'm not a fan of the light bar returning; at the very least, I hope that they finally give us the option to turn the damn thing off, instead of draining our battery life! 

Adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are something I'm looking forward to seeing utilised at the very least by some first parties, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Also, based purely off these images, is it just me or do the "Creative" and "Options" buttons seem too close to the "Up" and "Triangle" buttons, respectively, considering that they're at an angle? That was the biggest thing that stood out to me besides the colours. 

Like I said, not the biggest fan of the colours, but this will be in my hand and not matter too much. Much more concerned about what this potentially means for the console itself, as I'm not totally enthralled by the idea of a two-tone black and white console, if I'm being honest. But hey, maybe I'll see it and they'll turn me around. I love all black/dark consoles, and something like what H-o-T shared would be the preferred controller colour bundled in the box for me. Really love the coloured PS logo and icons on that mock-up too. 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

fovzlgL.jpg

I love this fan mock up, purely for the coloured PS logo.

Excited to see the console itself and what PlayStation has planned to get fans on-board This generation is going out with a bang, and I can't wait to see where video games go next :peace:

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

I'm not a fan of the light bar returning

At least the positioning is improved. It was pretty baffling putting it in the back of the controller where you could never see. Still seems pointless apart from looking cool

Nice mockup H-O-T posted, that actually makes it look really nice!

At least the positioning is improved. It was pretty baffling putting it in the back of the controller where you could never see. Still seems pointless apart from looking cool
Nice mockup H-O-T posted, that actually makes it look really nice!
The light bar was also used for tracking (for VR) so made sense in that respect for it to go where it did. Maybe this time round they are using some other tech for VR tracking.

Some people like the light but I wouldn't care if they got rid of it.

So no one is going to acknowledge that it looks like something from Mass Effect, making it cool by default*?

Ok then.

*Andromeda doesn't exist. Shut up, that's why.

I'm not a huge fan of the overall look of it but I'm sure it will feel nice and the new features will be great.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

fovzlgL.jpg

I love this fan mock up, purely for the coloured PS logo.

This makes it look much better! I hope they go for this singular colour and offer it in a range of them rather than what they've shown in the reveal pictures.

I don't think I've ever relied on the DS4s battery before, I always keep it plugged in. 

As for the coloured face buttons, I find them very useful. Despite having a PS4 for about 5 years now, I never remember the button layout. Always having to check when QTEs pop up in Yakuza games!

• Like 2

It's possible that the shape buttons have no colour because they will light up. Time will tell.

It could also be new technology where you can actually feel the colours through your thumbs.

• Haha 1