NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

My understanding of the top 100 games comment was that all games need to be checked to see if they need any work doing to become backwards compatible (with them saying the majority were and some would need a patch) and they just used the top 100 games as a starting place.

Yeah, to be honest Cerny does say himself "We're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5". Which would suggest other games are "unplayable" rather than just not boost-mode enabled.

Just watched the Digital Foundry breakdown, good to see them so enthusiastic about the SSD and 3D audio and that they could be game changers in the future.

Got to say I’m really impressed with both the PS5 and XSX, both are packed with loads of new tech and it should make for a great generational leap. Kind of happy the two consoles are trying different things this time round it should make for an interesting gen.

Anyway glad both have got the specs out the way now, now on to the fun part, the games.

• Like 1

As we're talking about specs, here's a useful comparison:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Who gives a hoot about teraflops when you've got Nook Miles

There just isnt much between them in that respect.

Its the differences that seem to stand out. Non propertiery storage, single pool of RAM, custom 3D audio for all and then the ultrafast PCIE 4.0 SSD.  

The SSD difference stands out most alongside the audio approach. We will see if Sony can demonstrate that difference in practice.

Perhaps teraflops are what win console wars?

Why are the words aligned like some kind of poem you're made to read in GCSE English? 

• Haha 1

Good to see confirmation over all of this and happy it was indeed what a few on here said it was.

17 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

...aaaaaaand the only potential niggling doubt in the back of my mind to not pick one up on launch day, based solely on what we know currently (without launch titles, just going off being able to most likely play the PS4 games that I want to), is gone. 

All aboard the hype train :yay:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Noticing no one is costing outside of Teraflops. That faster SSD and connection are not free. On PC its heck of alot of cash to go x570 (AMD only) and get a PCI4.0 NVME SSD. The one on the PS5 doesnt exist yet.

Edited by Choze

The potential of the SSD is what really interests me. If the next Horizon, Uncharted etc are being built from the ground up for PS5, it'll be exciting to see how much of a step up they are from PS4 games. I think this is where Sony can excel compared to Microsoft. If Microsoft really wants all their games to be supported on the current Xbox One (stuff like Halo Infinite is confirmed for One and Series X?), it'll limit the potential of the Series X to just resolution, frame rate and loading time improvements.

• Like 1

Well GPU wise its a small difference. Not hugely interesting.

Clearly the SSD stuff has people talking.

I really hope next gen is more respectful towards people's time.

Edited by Choze

I'm excited to learn about the new unannounced features for PS5 beside the fastest loading 

Well, this came out of the blue. 

Key points

- haptic feedback confirmed

- adaptive triggers

- "Create" replaces "Share", more details to come

- built-in microphone array for short conversations, headphones still recommended

- lighter

- improved battery life

- light bar moved from top of the controller to either side of the touch pad

- USB-C charging (faster charging times) (not mentioned, but implied from the shared images)

Jim Ryan's last word still sticks to a Holiday 2020 release window for the PS5. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the colour scheme but i'm not sure on the design. Hard to say whether it's good or not until it's in your own hands.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think. It's chunkier and possibly more comfortable than the PS4 controller, so that's good. But it has the same sticks by the look of it, so I'll probably be putting covers on it again. Other than that it looks mostly the same.

Hey, if the battery is improved and it feels good, that's great with me.

Looks ugly, surprised they kept the touchpad and lightbar. Touchpad was most likely for backwards compatibility. Other features sound decent, and it's more important how it feels.

I don't like the look of it, I find the Dualshock 4 super comfortable as it is so hopefully it doesn't feel too different. I wonder if calling it Dualsense instead means they won't have to pay a percentage to the patent holders of Dualshock.

Wish they'd got rid of the lightbar altogether 

Looks ridic, but at least they're trying something new.

I'm guessing they backtrack and release the Dualshock 5 instead - exactly the same as the 4.

Are those buttons drawn on? They don’t look like physical buttons at all. 

Looks slick. Really happy with the design.

ps5-controller.original.jpg

Edited by drahkon

I think I almost like it? I'd need to see other colour schemes. And to know how it feels.