NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Yeah, whether or not the PS5 is exciting hardware...I'll decide tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, whether or not the PS5 is exciting hardware...I'll decide tomorrow.

Can you let me know whether it is. :p

57 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

There's no way that this is just about specs. 

Excellent support for third party developers is the norm with PlayStation and has been since day one of the PS1, so I don't see how this can be about that.

The only other thing I could think of is that this might be referring to how they're handling backwards compatibility? I could see "technical-minded folks" going wild over a machine which isn't just PS1, PS2, and PS4 BC, but accomplishing PS3 BC with this would warrant the praise we're starting to see here. 

Excited for tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Excellent support for third party developers is the norm with PlayStation and has been since day one of the PS1, so I don't see how this can be about that.

The only other thing I could think of is that this might be referring to how they're handling backwards compatibility? I could see "technical-minded folks" going wild over a machine which isn't just PS1, PS2, and PS4 BC, but accomplishing PS3 BC with this would warrant the praise we're starting to see here. 

Excited for tomorrow!

He followed up to clarify:

So sounds like a combination of the CPU and SSD being praised in particular.

5 hours ago, Julius said:

Excited for tomorrow!

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't think this will be a blowout like the 2013 PS4 event was. I imagine this is a talk that was due for GDC, so will likely be aimed more at developers than the wider audience.

I really want to see what Sony have been up to with their SSD technology. 

For what it's worth, Cerny definitely is a professional presenter.

Very interesting so far. Instead of just throwing numbers around he explains what it all means. For a hardware noob like me this is pretty cool to hear/see.

Edited by drahkon

Well he mentioned launch at year end so doesn’t look like they are planning to push it back just yet

The console not being fully backwards compatible with PS4 games is a massive disappointment. They are picking the top 100 played games on the console...guess that means every FIFA and CoD game will run fine on launch day. :p 

This is very interesting. Mark Cerny has an incredibly soothing voice. 

I think MS got under their skin with all that "yeah but it's not just teraflops" talk. 

3 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

This is very interesting. Mark Cerny has an incredibly soothing voice. 

I think MS got under their skin with all that "yeah but it's not just teraflops" talk. 

Yeah, I seen that as a comment directed towards them.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The console not being fully backwards compatible with PS4 games is a massive disappointment. They are picking the top 100 played games on the console...guess that means every FIFA and CoD game will run fine on launch day. :p 

No different to how MS does it now then I guess. Sounds like the majority work immediately and then I assume the rest will get updates. Sounds fine to me.

My takeaway from this is that XSX is more powerful but it acheives its power by brute force. Meanwhile, the PS5 is technically a bit weaker but it has plenty of tricks up its sleeves (with a faster SSD and a good cooling solution to allow the console to run at higher clocks).

I imagine that the final price won't be too far off what the PS4 was at launch. XSX comes across as a much more expensive console.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

No different to how MS does it now then I guess. Sounds like the majority work immediately and then I assume the rest will get updates. Sounds fine to me.

When this gen started it was said that one of the reasons both Sony and MS used off the shelf parts for their consoles was so that moving forward it would make BC a lot easier as there would be no special chips to worry about. Clearly that hasn't worked out for either of them. :( 

I'm interested in your thoughts about the sound tech in this, @Dcubed. I know you do love some good audio features.

They didn't even manage 100% compatibility with PS2 games played on PS3 and that's when they even included the PS2 chipset, so no way they were going to get PS5 to be 100% compatible with all PS4 games on release.

I see the "teraflops aren't everything" as more of a pre-emptive comment, since they know it's going to get compared to the Xbox. He has a point though, if they've got twice the SSD read speed. Could be that on balance each console is stronger in different areas.

Edited by Sheikah

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

When this gen started it was said that one of the reasons both Sony and MS used off the shelf parts for their consoles was so that moving forward it would make BC a lot easier as there would be no special chips to worry about. Clearly that hasn't worked out for either of them. :( 

I'm interested in your thoughts about the sound tech in this, @Dcubed. I know you do love some good audio features.

I don’t think that’s fair, I just don’t think any of us understand the complexities of this as much as we might like to think. When Cerney was talking about backwards compatibility he wasn’t talking about hardware but logic etc so it’s obviously more than just the parts they use.

Edited by Happenstance

Cue the "WHERE IS THE PS5" comments :p 

Anyway, that was such an interesting talk. Now I'd like to hear from a game developer how exactly this new tech will be the game changer that it's supposed to be, i.e. what exactly can we expect from games in the future.

Oh, and I'll say it again: Cerny's presentation skills are incredible.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I don’t think that’s fair, I just don’t think any of us understand the complexities of this as much as we might like to think. When Cerney was talking about backwards compatibility he wasn’t talking about hardware but logic etc so it’s obviously more than just the parts they use.

Well in the past (like for PS3), they included the previous generation system's chipset which like he mentioned was very expensive and eventually dropped from slim models. But even then, they didn't have 100% compatibility. Since they're not going that route anymore it means even more work on a case-by-case basis to get each game working properly.