NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

37 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

Over priced phones and tablets, sure. Use that as a base for an over priced console.

How about cameras, which you're easily looking at £1000 for a comparable quality one. Or TVs which go for £5-600 for something semi decent. Or drones, where anything worthwhile is easily £700+.

Games consoles are a bargain.

• Like 1

Talking of TVs, how many people already have 4k TVs? Upgrading to 4k is another significant cost.

I'm still on just a 1080p TV with my PS4, I guess I'll be on the lookout for good 4k deals in the run up to the next consoles.

Same as the 360 gen I guess, people will just phase in their new TVs. Took me a lot longer than it should have to switch from SD to HD.

I think a lot of people though have already made the switch to 4K. The TVs are surprisingly cheap these days.

1080p is good enough for me, heck my old 720p TV in the other room still works fine. :D

If my TV was on the way out and if I could find a single decent 4K TV which doesn't have the word "smart" in it or that is purely just a display with nothing tacked on, then I'd be interested.

Am I right in thinking that these days it's better to just go with a monitor rather than a TV assuming that you don't need the "TV" part?

The only reason I went with a TV the last time was that they were more standard a few years ago and at least came with a way to hook up older stuff like component and scart.

Plus, with 4K you would need to upgrade some of your HDMI cables for certain devices, to make sure they're the same standard I'd have thought...

Although you'd just be buying 4K capable HDMI cables for the actual 4K consoles I suppose, so that's not so much of an issue.

Hmm, it might be a good idea to create a new modern TV/display thread. :p

Anyway it's all kind of irrelevant to me at the moment I suppose, I don't really have the money for any of that stuff really, though we'll see what happens nearer the time.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m amazed you own anything modern @S.C.G :laughing:

Well... I do love retro stuff. :D

But when it comes to stuff like TV's, Sound Systems and PC's I do like to make them last. :)

I've been using the same AV system for well over a decade, I'm only reluctantly getting around to upgrading that soon(ish) and I still don't feel ready because my Sony amp still works.

It felt pretty bad during the 360/PS3/Wii era for console reliability though, I'm technically on my third PS3 because the slim model just stopped working and the less said about the number of Xbox 360 units we've had go wrong in this house over the years, the better.

Still on my launch model PS4 and original Xbox One though, which is why I'm glad that the PS5 is still a year or so away.

As for other tech, I only tend to buy stuff I know I'm going to use where possible, it's  partly why I have a basic phone, I just wouldn't use anything above that so no point in owning one.

I only use my basic phone as it is because I have to for certain things, automated texts etc and it's useful for if I have to go anywhere but that's about it.

There is some modern technology I like but it's few and far between these days.

That’s no way to live your life. You shouldn’t go into debt over new tech but you should get as close to the edge as possible buying as much as you can.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

That’s no way to live your life. You shouldn’t go into debt over new tech but you should get as close to the edge as possible buying as much as you can.

That's... moreorless how I've been living for a good few years now but I'm trying to redress the balance now and sell games which I don't need.

It's nice to have a load of games to play but I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot I won't get around to playing, so I might as well sell at least some of my collection.

This is also why I'm a bit aprehensive about new consoles coming out, I've got a decent library on the PS4... starting again with the PS5 isn't immediately appealing to me.

At least it'll have that backwards compatability though.

I suppose one difference between phones/tablets and consoles is that once you've spent £400 in a console, you will want to spend £30-£50 on each game to play on it, so over the lifetime of the console, you could end up spending double that.

3 minutes ago, bob said:

I suppose one difference between phones/tablets and consoles is that once you've spent £400 in a console, you will want to spend £30-£50 on each game to play on it, so over the lifetime of the console, you could end up spending double that.

Oh I get the complaints or money considerations people might have but that wouldn’t really change the basic facts of what the parts are worth. No different to a PC.

• Thanks 1

I do wonder if the gaming community just has an unrealistic expectation for the price of gaming consoles these days. They are willing to pay £1000 for ipads and phones etc but a console that has a lot of tech in it should still be cheaper for some reason.

That expectation has been set by the manufacturers. Sony and Microsoft regularly sell their consoles at a loss because it's far more lucrative for them in the long term to get a big install base and make the money back via Plus/XBL subs as well as games. Can't say I disagree with this approach, the competition means we get a better deal.

When you look at the iPhone though, people are buying it for the brand even though there are more powerful Android phones for less money.
  • Thanks 1

We have our first photo leak of the dev kit!

HAO5mz4_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Looks like a knockoff PC Engine that gained a few hundred pounds :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

We have our first photo leak of the dev kit!

I guess that drawing/mock up that was doing the rounds back in August was true then.

A9P8WRCicMQAGGZCriWmNi-1280-80.jpg

That would explain why Sony was so annoyed when it got leaked. 

• Thanks 1

I'll most likely wait about a year or so into the Playstation 5 generation before diving in when a good deal pops up. I bought a PS4 about a year in and it was that sweet point where it was still very new and exciting, the launch games had come and gone and we were just starting to see the next wave, and the deal was just at the right point where it felt like a bargain given that point in time and how early on into that generation we were. 

Not very excited just yet because I'm still satisfied with what is currently available and there are still several games that I'm looking forward to. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'll most likely wait about a year or so into the Playstation 5 generation before diving in when a good deal pops up. I bought a PS4 about a year in and it was that sweet point where it was still very new and exciting, the launch games had come and gone and we were just starting to see the next wave, and the deal was just at the right point where it felt like a bargain given that point in time and how early on into that generation we were. 

Not very excited just yet because I'm still satisfied with what is currently available and there are still several games that I'm looking forward to. 

I done the same with my PS4. By then enough games were on the console to keep me constantly playing and never worrying about droughts, a fact that remains to this day. 

I'm like you in that I'm not really that excited about the next generation. My PS4 gets used all the time and I still have a stack of games to get through. Still, we'll see where I stand once launch games and price are announced (can't imagine it being cheap) but at the moment I'm more than satisfied with what I've got.

• Thanks 1

I’ll be preordering one for launch. I love the excitement of a new console launch, even if the games usually turn out to be a bit lacklustre at first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm undecided. Got the PS4 after it was out a year, that was when a lot of multiformat games I wanted were coming out. Having never been a PlayStation gamer previously, the 1st party exclusives didn't appeal to me at first.

A great launch title might make me pre order for launch (Horizon 2?). Much less likely, Microsoft will win me over and I'll get the next Xbox instead.

I wonder what the launch titles will actually be? Gotta imagine the rumored Demon Souls remake will be there and whatever Guerrilla is working on next should hopefully make an appearance. After those? I haven't a clue. It's too early for Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog to have anything ready. Saying that, I wonder if the Factions part of The Last of Us 2 will be a launch title? It would give the console a big exclusive multiplayer game right out of the gate.

Unless they've tied up some third party exclusives, I imagine the launch period to be slim pickings.

I think Naughty Dog could have another Uncharted ready for launch, Lost Legacy came out just over a year after A Thief's End so I think they're capable of producing another smaller scale spin off while they wrap up The Last of Us Part 2. 

The only thing that has me considering picking up a PS5 at launch is the fact that it will be backwards compatible with the PS4, if I can find a decent trade in deal for my Pro where I don't have to shell out too much to upgrade to a PS5 then I'll happily do it. There are still so many PS4 exclusives that I haven't got around to playing so even if the launch line up is strong I'm more likely to be working my way through the ones that I've missed but it'll be nice to get in on the ground floor with the PS5.

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

There are still so many PS4 exclusives that I haven't got around to playing so even if the launch line up is strong I'm more likely to be working my way through the ones that I've missed but it'll be nice to get in on the ground floor with the PS5.

The guys on Sacred Symbols have brought this up a couple of times. The PS4 is still going very strong for a console in its last years. People still have games to play and there are big titles still being released.

Sony need to absolutely nail the first look at the PS5. This isn't like the last generation where it dragged on too long, most of the big games had been released and people were ready to move on. The general feeling I've seen out there is that people are fine with their PS4 consoles at the moment and are still working through the catalogue of games they have. Sony need to give the 100 million user base a good enough reason to upgrade.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder what the launch titles will actually be? Gotta imagine the rumored Demon Souls remake will be there and whatever Guerrilla is working on next should hopefully make an appearance. After those? I haven't a clue. It's too early for Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog to have anything ready. Saying that, I wonder if the Factions part of The Last of Us 2 will be a launch title? It would give the console a big exclusive multiplayer game right out of the gate.

Unless they've tied up some third party exclusives, I imagine the launch period to be slim pickings.

I have a feeling Sony saw what Nintendo did with the Switch's first year and will try and replicate that. Xbox vs. Playstation is reset to zero for next gen and they'll need to come out swinging and get some good will back again. Horizon 2 at launch I'd say is almost a guarantee. And God of War 2 not long after that. 

Edited by Ronnie

Their big titles will probably be Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Death Stranding, FF7 Remake, COD 2020, FIFA 21 and Demon Souls Remastered (their one big PS5 exclusive).

I don't think there will actually be much that is exclusive.  If Sony was planning to have a big series of exclusive titles for the PS5's launch, they would've held back Death Stranding, FF7 Remake and TLOU2 for the PS5's launch window.  They are seemingly happy with going with cross-generation titles for the launch window.

53 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I don't think there will actually be much that is exclusive.  If Sony was planning to have a big series of exclusive titles for the PS5's launch, they would've held back Death Stranding, FF7 Remake and TLOU2 for the PS5's launch window.  They are seemingly happy with going with cross-generation titles for the launch window.

To be fair, that's never been their style. Unlike every other console maker, they've always tried to finish strong in a consoles lifecycle. PS2 had things like God War 2 right at the end of its life and PS3 had things TLOU, Puppeteer and Beyond Two Souls not long before the PS4 arrived. 

Historically PS consoles have never had great launch lineups, IMO. The original console had a decent one but the rest of them have relied heavily on 3rd parties, with the PS3 being the worst.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Historically PS consoles have never had great launch lineups, IMO. The original console had a decent one but the rest of them have relied heavily on 3rd parties, with the PS3 being the worst.

Which makes sense as the PS3 was the hardest to develop for.

I think the PS5 will do just fine. They won’t necessarily have the big first party exclusives straight away but consoles these days (ignoring the Switch) are designed to keep up powerwise and be a lot simpler to develop on so any porting to get a good launch lineup shouldn’t that bad.

The one I’m gonna find interesting in the next few years is third parties and the Switch. They’ve done a surprisingly good job porting over some of this gems games (some not so good as well) but with them being in this weird limbo generation of their own, they’ll now be an extra generation behind when it comes to specs so as some of the third party games get more complex again it’s gonna be harder and harder to do a bit of extra work like Doom or Witcher 3 and bring them across.

I have a feeling Sony saw what Nintendo did with the Switch's first year and will try and replicate that. Xbox vs. Playstation is reset to zero for next gen and they'll need to come out swinging and get some good will back again. Horizon 2 at launch I'd say is almost a guarantee. And God of War 2 not long after that. 
The days of the generation 'reset' are gone. PS5 is rumoured to be backwards compatible and if so it'll be a pretty easy sell - get the PS5 and carry on playing your old games (and your PS Plus games) as well as your new ones. No doubt we'll see cross generation games too which will have an advantage being played on PS5 (e.g. higher frame rate/resolution) so there's a good reason to just buy right away.

Unless Sony do something very strange you will see the majority of PS4 owners go PS5. What does Xbox even have to entice people over? From a software point of view the X1 didn't complete with the PS4, so what is there to suggest it'll be anything different this time?