NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Well that came out of absolutely nowhere!

Glad to hear that its fully backwards compatible with PS4! The raytracing stuff is all gravy really, but the BC is the real kicker!  3D audio (presumably Dolby Atmos) is also really cool and I'm glad that its apparantly a big focus with the PS5!  SSD storage is also a big surprise; that's surely gonna cost a fortune!?

Now there's officially no reason to buy a PS4! :D 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

SSD storage is also a big surprise; that's surely gonna cost a fortune!

Nah, SSDs are really cheap these days.

Normal SSD's might be getting a lot cheaper but from the way Cerny talks about the enormous bandwidth of the one in the PS5 it seems like its a brand new variant. Obviously there is a lot of bluster in this report, it's very much just Wired allowing Sony to blow smoke up their own asses, but if they make good on all of these promises then the PS5 seems like it could be very, very expensive. 

It's all very intriguing (and I'm delighted they're supporting PS4 backwards compatibility) but its a case of I'll believe it when I see it, especially with regards to their support for 8K resolutions. 

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I am disgusted at the lie in this thread title. Disgusted!

It's pretty much a full-gone conclusion though, even if they haven't "officially" announced the "Playstation 5" this is the first time we've had any real concrete details on it.

And you just know that it will be called the PS5 when it is properly announced.

But yes, I agree... the thread title is a little bit misleading, the main takeaway here though is that the information on the specs sounds promising at least.

I'm glad that it probably won't be coming out for a year or two yet though by the sounds of it.

It's just as well that I didn't bother to upgrade from my launch model PS4, so if the PS5 does turn out to be all that, then the leap to it should feel pretty decent.

I'm still happy with my launch model PS4 though and I don't really want to buy a 4K TV (let alone 8K!?!) as 1080P is more than fine to me, but we shall see.

3 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

It's pretty much a full-gone conclusion though, even if they haven't "officially" announced the "Playstation 5" this is the first time we've had any real concrete details on it.

And you just know that it will be called the PS5 when it is properly announced.

But yes, I agree... the thread title is a little bit misleading, the main takeaway here though is that the information on the specs sounds promising at least.

I'm glad that it probably won't be coming out for a year or two yet though by the sounds of it.

It's just as well that I didn't bother to upgrade from my launch model PS4, so if the PS5 does turn out to be all that, then the leap to it should feel pretty decent.

I'm still happy with my launch model PS4 though and I don't really want to buy a 4K TV (let alone 8K!?!) as 1080P is more than fine to me, but we shall see.

DISGUSTED!

• Haha 2

It's close enough! :p 

Cerny is the lead hardware architect anyway and there are some concrete details he's given here.  It's an official announcement that was tweeted out by Playstation themselves... what else do you need?

Here's a tweet from AMD to emphaise the officialness of this announcement...

What? You needed a name as well? It's "Playstation 5"! Wow! What a shocker! :o 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

I remember all the rumours before the PS4 that it wouldn't actually be called that because of the no.4 being linked with death.

I remember people talking about ray-tracing years ago, and some hoping it would be in the Xbox 360/PS3 gen, with others pointing out it was way too early.  And now it's finally here.

Not that I know what it is.

• Like 1

It makes sense that we use this as the official thread for PS5 chat, rather than having the discussion in various locations and getting lost.

I've also edited the title to make it less clickbaity. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fierce_LiNk said:

It makes sense that we use this as the official thread for PS5 chat, rather than having the discussion in various locations and getting lost.

I've also edited the title to make it less clickbaity. 

You mean less DISGUSTING...

• Haha 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

You mean less DISGUSTING...

Can you please show your disgust in gif form. Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

Didn't think we would get a sneak peak at PS5's hardware today so that's a nice surprise. Not bothered about the 3D audio for obvious reasons lol but SSD, Ray Tracing  and PS4 BC (maybe PS1-3 BC if the rumours are true) are appealing to me. Hopefully the Software and Dualshock 5 are good as well. 

Isn't backwards compatibility a bit of a handicap when designing next gen hardware? Seems like such an over rated feature.

24 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Isn't backwards compatibility a bit of a handicap when designing next gen hardware? Seems like such an over rated feature.

Same PS4 Architecture (and PS2/PS1 I think as well). It's just PS3 used Cell architecture which made the backward compatibility a challenge but the patents they filed suggested they solved it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I remember all the rumours before the PS4 that it wouldn't actually be called that because of the no.4 being linked with death.

Hopefully they'll advertise the PS5 using 5ive

Also lols

• Haha 2

Imagine if Sony suddenly decided to use roman numerals instead, abbreviating to PSV

I'm sure no one would find that confusing at all... :p

Afterall, there isn't really a notable console from Sony which has the same abbreviation. ;)

(I'm half-joking here, as the Vita is a great handheld console)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Imagine if Sony suddenly decided to use roman numerals instead, abbreviating to PSV

Afterall, there isn't really a notable console from Sony which has the same abbreviation. ;)

I made it halfway through your post before realising that you were on about the Vita. Forgot it existed. :D 

Maybe they'll ditch the numbers and call it something else. Playstation Beyond? Playstation Next. Who knows, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I hate you.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I hate you.

I love the Vita really, even though mine is criminally underused.

I'll give it the playtime it deserves at some point, I just wish the memory cards weren't so expensive.

I'd get one of those SD card adapters but I don't really want to jailbreak the console... even though it is tempting.

9 hours ago, S.C.G said:

It would also just result in the same rumours as when Kojima did that with MGSV. It had never happened before and people decided that because of the big twist in V that the real 5 was still coming.

• Thanks 1