NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I want to know how much those four paid to get a dedicated button on the remote.
Yeah, I have an LG remote with a similar thing going on (dedicated Netflix and Prime buttons). It's very handy though so I'm not knocking it.

Strange to see Disney Plus on there and not Prime.

My TV remote has Netflix, Prime... And Rakuten TV :blank:

Anyway, not paying £25 for a PS5 remote. Rip-off. The controller will do fine. 

Just now, Mr-Paul said:

Same here :D

Only reason I'm getting one is the PS5 is going to be my Blu-ray player, and my DualShock 4's R2 and L2 triggers have a terrible habit of mysteriously snagging on things, which fast forwards/rewinds :laughing:

I’m hoping the LG smart remote will work as it does for my other consoles and let me control media playback on the PS5 as well. It’s a really helpful feature.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m hoping the LG smart remote will work as it does for my other consoles and let me control media playback on the PS5 as well. It’s a really helpful feature.

I had no idea this was a thing, and just found out I can do it with my Samsung remote! Wow. Thanks! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, drahkon said:

platestation5.com

And so it begins :D

Hnnnnng. That black one. 

BlackFront_1000x.png?v=1603141080

That looks really nice! I was thinking earlier about spraying it myself, because just really not sure how long it will be until PlayStation come out with their own. I don't mind it in white...but black would be my preference. 

I would order one (says it ships on/around the 12th, with free worldwide delivery, so would probably make it here for the 19th or shortly after), but at the same time, I can't see anything on the site about its material composition, which is a bit concerning. It'll still have the airflow, but depending on the material differences, there's always the potential that it could cause some overheating. And then there's the fact that my controllers and console won't match (though I guess a dbrand skin could fix that). 

Hmm. Think it'd probably be best to wait on some impressions first. 

Edited by Julius

Happy enough that Spotify and Netflix will be there out the gate, especially given that there was a gap between the PS4 launch and Spotify launching there. Having a dedicated Apple TV+ app there is nice as I've been wanting to give Mythic Quest a try (and there's the new Sofia Coppola film with Bill Murray and Rashida Jones too) but don't have an Apple device and I've heard watching via a browser is iffy at best. Shame about Amazon Prime not being there on launch though as that does get decent use in my house, more so than Disney+ that's for sure.

I do tend to use my Xbox One as my media centre now but its good to know that out the gate I'll have access to some of my subscriptions on day 1.

As the PS5 web store is up for us now as well I’ve just added the top ups to my account and preordered Miles Morales Ultimate Edition.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Julius said:

I would order one (says it ships on/around the 12th, with free worldwide delivery, so would probably make it here for the 19th or shortly after), but at the same time, I can't see anything on the site about its material composition, which is a bit concerning. It'll still have the airflow, but depending on the material differences, there's always the potential that it could cause some overheating. And then there's the fact that my controllers and console won't match (though I guess a dbrand skin could fix that). 

Hmm. Think it'd probably be best to wait on some impressions first. 

Yeah I think I’m going to do the same. I can’t see that these guys will be able to create something that fully fits until they have a PS5 to build their designs from and I’m sure there will be issues with these launch editions.

Definitely looks good in the other colours though, really hope Sony get theirs out asap.

14 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

More important than the PS5 remote itself, it means that it'll integrate nicely with a Logitech Harmony remote!
That's the real win here :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

PS5 is being sent out to press. Impressions next week I guess? 

Also, really cool that Brandon has one. Curious if this means there are going to be some accessibility features packed in that we haven't seen/heard about yet, because I have to imagine there are things they can potentially do with the adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, and 3D Audio? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Great to see them sent out to press, I listen to Kinda Funny a lot and Greg was expecting Sony to send them out the week of release.

Also great that the box design is as ugly as the console itself :heh: consistency!

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Impressions next week I guess? 

Sure hope so :D

Also hope they have some actual next-gen only games to try out/show. I don't need to see PS4 games running on the new console. JUST GIVE ME SOME NEW DEMON'S SOULS GAMEPLAY.

Edited by drahkon

Personally, I don't care for his music or him as a person, but I do know that he is one of the biggest musicians (maybe even artists) out there right now. This is huge for the PlayStation brand.

Whoever's responsible for Sony's marketing in recent months should get a raise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Whoever's responsible for Sony's marketing in recent months should get a raise.

Geoff Keighley?

What’s everyone’s plans for expanding storage then? I’ll be waiting for Sony to announce what nvme ssds they recommend but going on the price of the new Western Digital 1tb that was just announced that’s the only one confirmed so far to be used with PS5 as well (£239) I’m probably gonna wait until prices go down and just grab an external ssd for my PS4 games.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

What’s everyone’s plans for expanding storage then? I’ll be waiting for Sony to announce what nvme ssds they recommend but going on the price of the new Western Digital 1tb that was just announced that’s the only one confirmed so far to be used with PS5 as well (£239) I’m probably gonna wait until prices go down and just grab an external ssd for my PS4 games.

Personally, I feel I've got pretty good at managing my PS4's 1TB of internal storage (~800GB after OS), deleting games after beating them on a regular basis, so even though we're looking at 200GB or thereabouts of less available space with the PS5, I think I'll be able to manage for the foreseeable future so long as I continue with that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if game sizes balloon once we get closer to mid-gen a few years from now, but at the same time, we'll probably be due a PS5 Pro at that point, so expandable storage isn't really something on my radar at the moment! 

For now I’m not going to worry about it. I don’t have many PS4 games I plan on transferring over and I’m not bothered about the games actually being on my machine long term so I’ll delete anything I don’t play often when I need to. I think if it ever gets to the point I do want to back stuff up I’ll buy a massive regular SSD and just switch games from that to the internal drive when I want to play them.

I’m one of those people that likes to have a lot of games installed on my hard drive at once so I can bounce between them depending on my mood. I’ve had a 2tb drive in my PS4 for years so don’t want to lose that convenience. I also still have quite a few PS4 games that I’ve been holding off on playing because we’re so close to the PS5 now.

Worth keeping in mind that SSD prices will come down over time and that sizes will increase.

Personally? I’d just wait it out until the prize/size ratio reaches something closer to a sweet spot; and just put up with juggling the fridge (be it through redownloading or through using HDD “cold storage”) for now.

Edited by Dcubed

I'm not worried too much about storage at the moment.  There's only one or two games i'll keep on the system on the long term, and one of them is Destiny 2.  I'll be watching the prices on SSD memory over the next few months/years until it's at a point i think is good value.  I've got a 1tb HDD inside my PS4 at the moment, and the old 500gb HDD is used as one of my back-up drives for files.  If i need to, i can format this drive (i've got another smaller HDD i can use for my files) to use on PS5 to store my PS4 library on.

Edited by Jimbob

FPS boost not much of a surprise, but save transfers for GoW 2018 and GoW III is a welcome surprise. 

Cool cool cool.