NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

On 15/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, drahkon said:

@Julius Haven't heard from you in a while.

Lots of news you haven't commented on, yet :p

Haven't been too well the last week or two, but feeling a little better now :) I managed to keep on top of the news, but had been drugged up and sleeping a lot (woo), so a lot of it kind of flew over my head at the time.

The teardown video was welcome, I'm glad we've got that out of the way now. The design makes much more sense with the context provided in that video, but I won't act like a hardware buff (I'd say my knowledge of it is functional at best), as I'm really just here for the software! The look and size doesn't matter too much to me because I've got the space for it and, again, care much more about what I'm playing than how it looks. My only real concern is regarding the liquid metal solution, the biggest concern being about the console in transit - I have to imagine that there's some cautionary measure Sony have implemented in its design, but it wasn't all that clear here.

Removable face panels and dust collecting spots for easy dust removal is a great move when compared with how it worked with the PS4, and I think Sony would be foolish to not offer swappable panels at some point in the future. I've said it before, but giving everyone a white face panel which they'll want to change to black as easily as possible is a really smart business move (even if a bit of a questionable PR one). 

One of my posts a week or two ago regarding my expectations for the backwards compatibility numbers based on the 1% figure they'd thrown out to us previously and us ending up with only 10 (but now 8) games which won't be playable through backwards compatibility on PS5 is pretty much what I expected, so this is good to see. Wish this was something they nipped in the bud much earlier, to be honest, before the internet ran away with the worst case scenario - one of those things that perhaps they could have communicated better to us. Biggest surprise out of this for me was that delisted games like P.T. would still be playable on PS5, that's super weird, but sure. It's good for game preservation (for those who have it) at least.

Finally, the first look at the UI we got earlier this week was pretty solid. I think it looks nice enough, but some of those emptier spaces in the home menu perhaps could have been fleshed out a bit more (I know it's before launch, but just to give us a better idea of how it will look at launch).

I like the idea of activities, and think it could be great for hopping back into something to get an idea of what you were doing (such as returning to an RPG after not touching it for a few weeks) or going down the completionist route (Sackboy was a great example for them to use), but I do wish that they would have just come out and say that progression tracking for trophies would be a thing. This seemed like a veeeery roundabout way of saying it without, well, saying it, which makes me a little nervous? Also curious to see just how much support this gets from third parties. I'm one of those who likes to turn trophy notifications off in some games to just immerse myself a bit more, and I can see myself wanting to turn it off to some extent in some games.

Cards look nice enough too, but there were a few times where I was looking at it wondering why I had to scroll through so many cards to get my recent screenshot, for example - I'm sure it will improve as we go along, but I'm really hoping that some of this will be customisable, namely the size of things in the home menu and the order of cards. Options are important for those that want them, I think, and looking at how Sony supported Naughty Dog's handling of accessibility with TLOU2 and the PS4's handling of it too, I would be very surprised if the size of some of these things couldn't be manipulated at a minimum. 

Like the idea of getting hints on what to do next (curious to me that that's a PS+ thing, but I guess it's a very direct way of ensuring that the player has an internet connection? Wonder if some of this will be cached in the background to load it faster), and being able to organise the layout is cool. Don't know if it would necessarily turn completionists off website guides simply because there's so much more info there, but it's a promising start, and I would hope that like with picture-in-picture screen sharing, that some apps could also be used in this way (e.g. Spotify, YouTube, etc.), because personally I'm thinking of the times I'm grinding in a JRPG and end up using my phone to listen to a podcast or more of the game's soundtrack than what is immediately present.

And speaking of screen-sharing, I don't know how much I'll use it, but I think it's a really neat idea in the picture-in-picture format specifically. I'm thinking about people picking up a PS5 after not having the PS4/not being into gaming in general, starting up a game in the PS+ Collection and getting a bit lost, and chatting to a friend, sharing their screen when they need a bit of a guidance. Anything you can do to break down those barriers of entry is cool to me, and I'm sure that there will be plenty of other uses for it too, but that's the biggest for me. It's really neat. Same goes for the consolidation of voice chats and PS Messages into seemingly one spot?

The biggest takeaway for me though is the PS Store being integrated into the UI/OS rather than being a standalone application, because the PS Store on the PS4 has been a clunky, lagging mess for years now. With how they skipped over it, I think that'll be what they focus on next. 

I think PlayStation are doing a good job of maintaining excitement for long stretches with the PS5 in ways that Xbox perhaps haven't been trying to, but I think the best comparisons on their respective YouTube channels shows a huge disparity between the two heading into launch. While I appreciate Xbox coming out and giving us a lot of info much earlier, it does feel like they consistently blow their proverbial load way too early (such as with the console design reveal well ahead of when we expected it at least year's Game Awards), and PlayStation is doing a good job of keeping us coming back for more, because there's still quite a bit to cover in the coming weeks.

I think a look at the new PS Store will come in the next week, then we'll got a few smaller bits and pieces posted to their channel such as more on the Create button, etc., before we hit previews and gameplay demos when November kicks off. And then it'll launch in the US and a bunch of other places on the 12th, and we'll just be clutching onto our games arriving a week before the console over here in Europe, counting down the days for launch, hoping payments don't bounce, and that the console arrives on launch day.

Very excited!

• Like 1

I do think opening the video while in resume mode was a mistake, it made the UI look like a gacha game menu with a load of information being thrown at you at once. Thankfully it's not like that from a cold boot. I too thought it was weird the screenshot card was right at the end as well.

I am a bit concerned the UI will be too small on a 4k TV, a lot of games seem to have small texts nowadays for some reason.

it's probably just me but having PiP just seems distracting, only seems useful if you're grinding or something.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Haven't been too well the last week or two, but feeling a little better now :)

Great to hear that you're feeling better :peace:

• Like 2

On 16/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, Sheikah said:

Surely that shows just how much people are looking forward to the system then, it's just a video about the UI but it's clocking 6 million views!

People watch unboxing videos which is literally someone taking stuff out of a box. Human beings are weird. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got a chance to look at the UI video (well, the DF Reaction video at least).  Looks really nice! Surprised at how mature the OS looks already.

The Cards system feels like a logical evolution of the Vita’s Livearea concept; while the overall visual language is a marriage between the PS4 and the PS3. It feels premium, but functional; nice!

Functionally it looks solid, though I do wonder if they’ve left too much dead space outside of the tiles themselves (which are very small!).  The PiP features are neat, but seem fairly limited; especially compared to the Xbone’s original Snap feature.  Do wonder if they’re looking to expand on it in the future... would imagine that chat features would be a much requested PiP feature.

Overall I’m impressed.  It looks nice and also pretty feature packed already.  Let’s just hope that we aren’t waiting years for folders this time around now!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Soooo...tomorrow marks the beginning of the 4 week countdown to the European PS5 release.

Maybe this question has been asked in the past, maybe not. Either way, I think it's time for those of you who will be there day one to share:
What does your next-gen haul look like?
Any games/accessories you're ridiculously hyped for?
Any plans for release day?

Needless to say, I'm hyped beyond belief and I'm very lucky to be able to actually get a console day-one. However, I won't be able to buy a lot of new games so I have to limit myself to just one.
It'll most likely be Cyberpunk 2077, so not a next-gen game. Even "worse", its next-gen patch won't be ready 'til next year. Still...I'm in the mood for an RPG and Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it'll be able to scratch that itch.
I'm also really looking forward to Astro's Playroom. It'll offer a nice introduction to the system and hardware while also offering a substantial amount of gameplay, if you can believe early reports. And it's free, so that's cool :p

Won't get any additional hardware for quite a while. My current headset should work and with the Tempest engine providing 3D-sound through basically all headphones I have no need for a new one.
Also don't need a second Dual Sense 'cause I don't play couch co-op, at least not at my place. :D

I'd love to take the 19th and 20th off but not sure if I'll be able to. Taking the days off from work won't be a big problem, but lab work for my Bachelor's thesis will start very soon and I will prioritize that.
But: the weekend after launch...definitely no social interactions whatsoever. It's all about gaming then :bouncy:

Edit: And by the way:

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

I'm just getting the Digital Edition, will probably pick up charging station as well but that will be it for hardware. Will probably pick up the Ultimate edition of Miles Morales and then play Spider-Man for the first time, followed by MM. I'm perfectly happy to wait for the next gen patch before playing Cyberpunk, if The Witcher 3 is anything to go by then probably best to avoid it at launch anyway until all the bugs are sorted :heh: I will also have a few games in the PSN Collection that I haven't played yet, the big one being God of War.

I have the 19th and 20th, as well as the following week booked off work so plenty of time to play :D

• Like 1

In case anyone else is planning on picking up some cheap PSN top ups like I am to make sure I'm ready for some digital purchases when the PS5 comes out, I figured I'd share the list of the cheapest I found (from the sites I use anyway)

£100 - £87.85 shopto
£90 - £78.85 shopto
£80 - £68.85 shopto
£50 - £42.49 CDKeys
£45 - £37.85 shopto
£40 - £33.85 shopto
£35 - £29.85 shopto
£30 - £25.75 ElectronicFirst
£25 - £22.85 shopto
£20 - £17.85 shopto
£15 - £12.85 shopto
£10 - £8.85 shopto
£5 - £4.79 CDKeys

• Like 2

I’m still not sure if my machine will be day one or not, I really hope it will be though. My general plan is to pick up the following on or around launch:

• PS5
  • Extra controller
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Demon’s Souls
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Dirt 5
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Ghosts of Tsushima

All of the games I buy will be digital, going for the disc version of the console ‘just in case’ and because the games I get through work are disc versions.

No particular plans for launch day, whenever I get it I’ll save it for the next weekend and then have a long playing session. Also looking forward to continuing my F1 playing on the machine and hoping they do some upgrades for us.

• Like 2

Just the PS5 (disc edition) and Spider-Man Ultimate Edition for me. Hadn't played the original yet, so will be starting with that! 

Also going to resubscribe to PS+ having not had it for the past couple of years. I haven't actually played most of the games you'll get for subscribing and there's a lot there I'm interested in, so that'll keep me busy. 

Need to pick up TLOU2, waiting to see if there'll be a PS5 version or it'll just be hardware boosted. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Probably the most I've spent on gaming in one go, now that I think about it! I started saving at the start of the year, putting aside a healthy chunk of Christmas/birthday/work bonus money, and have been saving a little but fixed amount every month since, which has left me in the position that I could splurge on my day one haul, which will be: 

Hardware

- PS5

- additional DualSense

- Pulse 3D Headset

- Media Remote (buttons look much more tactile for viewing than the rubber buttons on my Samsung remote, and the PS5 will be taking up the film-playing mantle from the PS4)

- Wireless Charging Station

Software

- Spider-Man: Miles Morales (just the standard edition, might upgrade down the road but I'd rather not have that gold banner on the case :p)

- Demon's Souls

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Astro's Playroom (included)

Also got Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity set to arrive the following day, so I should be kept busy up until Christmas! 

In terms of accessories, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the DualSense, and I'm super curious about how their software-implemented 3D audio will play out - really hoping the Pulse headset is comfy! 

In terms of games, all of the above and everything in store (Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Horizon Forbidden West, XVI!). I'm replaying the PS4 version of Spider-Man right now and forgot just how much I adored this game - I don't think I've quite had the same fun with moment-to-moment gameplay like I have swinging around Manhattan as Spidey, especially when that score swells up, so I cannot wait to play Miles Morales! Demon's Souls I've never played before (or any other From game, for that matter), and this seems as good a place as any to give it a go. Weirdly, Cyberpunk I'm a bit wary of at this point; I'm sure that will change once I get my hands on the game, but I have so many questions about that game and we're only a month away, so don't think concern is completely unwarranted at this very moment. 

Booked off the 20th (Friday) because I didn't want to book the 19th off only for the console to not arrive until the afternoon - I finish work at 15:30 that day, and work from home, so if the console does arrive before I finish work, I'll take a short break to quickly set it up and start downloading Miles Morales/system updates. I decided to continue with my all-physical approach to games for launch day at least, because I wouldn't be surprised if there's some server strain on PlayStation's end come launch day. 

Once I finish work, hopefully I'll be able to hop straight into Miles Morales - if not, will probably have a look through the menus and adjust things I hadn't earlier. If it's going to be a crazy amount of time until Miles downloads (which I don't think will be the case at all, I've had a much better time with physical copy times than digital download times!) then I might hop into Astro's Playroom first instead, but knowing myself and how I like to play games, if that happens I probably won't be putting it down and play it until completion. Probably play until midnight-ish?

Then on the Friday wake up nice and early, brew a fresh cup of tea, and have some light breakfast while I watch that week's episode of The Mandalorian, before diving into a three day weekend of gaming :D I think I'll probably complete Miles and Astro's Playroom before the weekend is up, but not sure where I'll go after that.

Depending on how well Hyrule Warriors is received it could be that, but then again, think it's much more likely I dive into Demon's Souls to keep the next gen hype rolling. Whatever the case, pretty sure I'll end up playing Cyberpunk 2077 last, just because of how openly that game will be structured - definitely something I'll want to spend my time smelling the roses with!

Edit: And by the way:

Very important to keep in mind, for sure! We're going to be in a middle ground for at least the next year of games either capable of running on the PS4, or which look like they could have been for the PS4. Not that I mind in the slightest :p 

Also worth mentioning, I read that Bugsnax and The Pathless were two games not listed on the PS Store update in the US? Which comes later this week I believe in Europe...perhaps these are going to be the two PS+ games for PS5 next month? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Julius said:

perhaps these are going to be the two PS+ games for PS5 next month? 

I highly doubt it.

Pathless devs have already confirmed that it won't be a PS+ game:

And I'd be very surprised to see Bugsnax with PS+. It's got so much buzz around it, it will do very well on its own.

I've got a PS5 Digital Edition pre-ordered with Amazon. So far, its that an some wallet top ups for the PS Store courtesy of Shopto.

Keep flip-flopping on games to get at launch. Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a lock thats for sure as that era is a part of history I love and I'm deeply interested in it (love shows like Vikings and The Last Kingdom and have some history books on Vikings and Ancient Scots and I'm not much of a history buff). But beyond that, I'm still undecided.

Spiderman Miles Morales will likely get picked up as it looks great but I'm slightly hesitant given that I thought the original was ok. I'm not expecting they'll have deviated much from the open world formula of that title for MM which is the crux on my hesitation given I wasn't a fan of the hideouts and the open world somewhat feeling like something out of Ubisoft's playbook (admittedly, better done but still).

My hype for Cyberpunk 2077 is virtually non-existent as I've not kept up with their streams for the game and have heard more about how badly CD Projekt Red have been handling things development wise than the game itself, which has definitely dented my impression of them as a studio. Its a wait and see for this one. If I pick it up it'll be on launch day, if reviews are good and there aren't any major game breaking bugs.

Waiting on hearing the pricing for The Pathless. Giant Squid said they'd announce it later this month so I suspect they'll announce it next week. I'll be picking that up as I like the look of it. Expecting it to be somewhere between £29.99 and £39.99, kind of the PS5's AA/indie equivalent of The Medium on the Xbox Series S|X though less scary.

Also curious as to what other indies will make it to launch. I expect we'll see some PS5 optimised versions of older titles but should see some cross gen games there. Hoping there's either a State of Play to highlight some of these or Sony's usual blog post of "Here's X number of indie games you should look forward to on PS5". Not expecting any major surprises but suspect they've got stuff lined up for next year that'll be big.

That'll probably be it for launch day. Would love some form of shooter and may end up plonking for Destiny: Beyond Light but we'll see. Would prefer a third person shooter. Will likely be picking up Immortal Fenyx Rising in December (will try the demo on Stadia later this week though to get a gust of whether or not I will) and then I'll likely pick up some indie games I’ve missed later in the PS4 life in the Xmas sale (I know, with how many indie games I play I'm shocked I've missed some as well). Maybe Hitman 3 next year and Riders Republic in February.

No email from Amazon telling me it won't go out in the first batch for launch day so looks like it'll get here on the 19th. Though what time it appears on that day, who knows. Amazon have delivered stuff to my door at 10am, 8pm and every time imaginable in between so who knows. All I know is I'll be checking the tracking mid/late morning and then finding stuff to distract myself till it gets here.

When it does, I'll get it set up, find out which game is the smallest file size to download, get that downloading and maybe check out Astro's Playroom. If it comes late in the afternoon, it'll just get set up for Friday, I'll stick season 1 of Barry on (I bought it on the PS store so its attached to my PS account) and spend time with the missus rewatching that as I've been meaning to do that for a while now.

Very much excited for launch tho. The next 4 weeks are going to be long but I've got games to keep me busy and I'll have some stuff to try on Gamepass on the 10th with the Xbox launching (I'm sticking with my One but at least I'll get to try The Falconeer out).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

A PS5 disc drive console from Amazon as well as a Pulse headset. The headset was a fiver off at Curries which I was pretty happy about. I have the revised Sony Gold PS4 headset (the one less likely to break) which is a bit shoddy. The microphone is worse than the original Gold headset (which I had and was great, but it wore out), and the connection with the dongle often cuts out (again, unlike the first one). Even though I've had it for nearly 2 years I'm going to see if I can get a refund from Amazon. :p

I'm not planning on getting any games at launch since they're extortionate and will go down in price, but that could change depending on whether Cyberpunk ends up something truly special. Really, I have loads of games still to play which will benefit from PS5 right away, so I'm really looking forward to the console.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Hardware

- PS5 (disc version)

- additional DualSense

- Pulse 3D Headset

- Media Remote

- Wireless Charging Station

- 1TB SSD if any are out in time.

Software 

I've digitally pre-ordered the following already:

- Spiderman: Miles Morales (Ultimate Edition)

- Demon's Souls 

May get a third game but not sure what yet.  

Just the whole new console experience it's all very exciting.

I'll be at work so getting it delivered there (like I did with the PS4).  Day one will consist of playing Astro's Playroom while downloading all digital games I've bought and adding a few PS4 titles too.  

Edited by Cookyman
  • Like 2

Looks like you people are ready :D

I'm gonna put this one here...

...because he's the audio director at Kojima Productions and I want a new game from that studio and I want it to be on next-gen and I want it now (unless it's a horror game, then I want it to die).

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

I'm gonna put this one here...

...because he's the audio director at Kojima Productions and I want a new game from that studio and I want it to be on next-gen and I want it now (unless it's a horror game, then I want it to die).

Not to get carried away, but...

That does look like Kojima. Him filming and his clothes definitely make him look even more like Kojima. 

Death Stranding is out on PC now, and with the launch of next gen next month, and with The Game Awards just a few weeks later...I don't think it would be that crazy to think Kojima Productions could have something to show off here, especially considering just how soon they had something whipped up to show off Death Stranding for the first time at E3 2016. 

Having only played MGS 1 - 3 from his list of games so far, I'm definitely curious to see what he'll tackle next. Personally I agree with you and hope it wouldn't be horror-related, just because there was way too much buzz around the Silent Hill reboot from the core members of the old team for there to not be anything to it, so even though it would be cool to see him get to realise some of what he showed off to the world in P.T., personally hoping for something completely out of the blue with whatever is coming next! 

14 minutes ago, Julius said:

personally hoping for something completely out of the blue with whatever is coming next! 

I want him to do a next-gen evolution of MGSV: The Phantom Pain's gameplay. New IP, similar mechanics, next-gen goodness and I'm in love.

But I expect his next project to be a horror game. And to be honest, it's a good fit. Kojima is capable of delivering something that could elevate the genre. While it wouldn't be for me, I'd still be interested to see how that man would approach it.

Edited by drahkon

@drahkon, no surprises here, but hey, I'll take confirmation!

With the timing of this post following yesterday's, wonder if they've got something ready for The Game Awards? 

• Thanks 1

I hope it's a good game, and not just another excuse for Kojima to Kojima.

43 minutes ago, Julius said:

With the timing of this post following yesterday's, wonder if they've got something ready for The Game Awards? 

Kojima Productions linkedin shows a lot of job openings so I doubt the game is in a presentable state. Then again, I don't know anything about game development so...

Just give me anything that's not horror. I'd even take a sports game made by Kojima.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Kojima Productions linkedin shows a lot of job openings so I doubt the game is in a presentable state. Then again, I don't know anything about game development so...

Just give me anything that's not horror. I'd even take a sports game made by Kojima.

The thing that might make this a bit different is that Kojima Productions got a lot of help - temporary workers and from Guerrilla - on Death Stranding. It could just be the case that they're bringing more people into the company on a more permanent basis. 

Also, worth noting that Kojima announced his deal with SIE in December 2015, and still had a trailer ready for Death Stranding come E3 2016 that June. If it's "only" going to be an in-engine trailer with no gameplay (and let's be honest, isn't that we'd expect to see first from whatever KojiPro does next?), then the job listings might just be a sign of them preparing to ramp up production, but they could feasibly already have something in-engine ready to go. I remember it being a while before we saw any actual gameplay for Death Stranding!

Might be me being optimistic, but if not at The Game Awards this year, I still imagine we'd see it at some point next year in some form. All being well, anyways! :D

• Thanks 1

Confirmed Day 1 apps for the PS5...

Additional streaming apps* coming to PS5 include Amazon Prime Video, MyCanal, Hulu, Peacock, and more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to know how much those four paid to get a dedicated button on the remote.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1