NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

2 hours ago, Will said:

As I saw it activities are chunks of a game, so could be “Level 1”, “Get the Sword”, “Multiplayer Race” and will be pre-set areas to jump straight into. Some of those could be associated with trophies (as in completing them gets you one) but not all of them. They’re a way of jumping to specific parts of a game without going through in-game menus.

They should be part of every PS5 game, Sony have been pushing this in the past as an integrated part of the entire eco-system.

Oh ok thanks for explaining it, Sony messaging is so unclear sometimes often, these days. That's pretty cool then I guess, if you want to replay a specific bit maybe?

UI video at 6 million views, trending like crazy...in less than 24  hours.

Sony's been handling their communcation perfectly. The hype is real and it doesn't stop.
Their approach to marketing the PS5 (and the PlayStation brand itself) is working.

Microsoft and Sony are on a roll. This'll be a very interesting generation :D 

Sony's been handling their communcation perfectly. The hype is real and it doesn't stop.
Their approach to marketing the PS5 (and the PlayStation brand itself) is working.
Microsoft and Sony are on a roll. This'll be a very interesting generation  
Yeah, one thing that is clear is how much people are looking forward to the PS5. We are in a very different situation now with COVID and people being at home more, and coming off the back of really strong first party support on the PS4...people really want the PS5 now.

With the QoL improvements and backwards compatibility there's a stronger case than ever to get one at launch too. About a month now! Can't wait...

22 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I mean, I'm pretty nerdy and all, but guys, seriously.

It's just a menu!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

It's just a menu!

But it's a great menu :p 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's just a menu!

Surely that shows just how much people are looking forward to the system then, it's just a video about the UI but it's clocking 6 million views!

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Surely that shows just how much people are looking forward to the system then, it's just a video about the UI but it's clocking 6 million views!

My point is that, even for me, that's super nerdy, and don't those guys have anything better to do!?

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

My point is that, even for me, that's super nerdy, and don't those guys have anything better to do!?

It's not really that nerdy though, is it? The OS video shows how quickly you can get into games, switch between them, and do new things like view videos in line in party chats. It's all quite cool stuff and will translate to a much smoother gaming experience, so it's no surprise that people are interested in it.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

don't those guys have anything better to do!?

Watching an 11 minute video isn't necessarily taking up too much time of your day. It's actually taking up 11 minutes of your day. 

I get the feeling my sarcasm flew over people's heads this time.
Ah, the joys of text.

• Weird 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Ah, the joys of text.

It's your fault. :p 

Watched it again, still pretty underwhelming. 

Still not a fan of the home screen, just seems a really weird use of space. Tiny game boxes shoved into a corner, a small game logo in another corner.

image-75.png

At the end the guy was saying how they're out of time and can't show you any more, and I was like... why not? You've literally got as much time as you want.

Edited by Ronnie

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's your fault. :p 

Fair, but I gotta take the chance when it arises.

• Like 1

Weird how they didn't talk about their version of Quick Resume, which doesn't bode well...

Thought the UI looked great to be honest. Natural upgrade from the PS4's UI with integrated benefits to the user experience such as tracking of activities in games and trophy progress. Further integration of online features (take note Nintendo) and the ease of partying up, sending messages, invites and media between users across PS5 and PS4 platforms is a great touch and again takes down some of the barriers that remained in place, not that there were many left with regards to Sony's setup there.

Having the Store being integrated at the OS level is a nice touch. Should make it much faster to load and browse, which is the biggest issue affecting the PS Store, but do wonder if this implies that they'd prefer an "always online" approach from users, especially as they started and ended in Rest Mode. Not that thats a big deal as it won't affect the end user experience for those who don't leave their consoles in Rest mode, of which I'm one of those people as I almost never leave my consoles in Rest mode.

Still, the UI is simple and clean and they've definitely taken strides to build a better user experience with the consoles OS. And the quick load of games and quick resume looks fast which is a massive plus point. Looks good.

Now if the next couple of weeks could just, you know, hurry up and it could be launch day that would be grand.

Edited by Ganepark32

Ah, the joys of text.

Ah, that old fallback. It was sarcasm guys, you just didn't get it.

Edited by Sheikah

Just now, Sheikah said:

Ah, that old fallback. It was sarcasm guys, you just didn't get it. ;)

Now that's sarcasm!

Also, do you even remember me? I'm like 50% sarcastic.

Weird how they didn't talk about their version of Quick Resume, which doesn't bode well...

Strange that you would think that, especially given that the PS5 has the fastest SSD of the new consoles by some margin.

28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Watched it again, still pretty underwhelming. 

Still not a fan of the home screen, just seems a really weird use of space. Tiny game boxes shoved into a corner, a small game logo in another corner.

image-75.png

At the end the guy was saying how they're out of time and can't show you any more, and I was like... why not? You've literally got as much time as you want.

Out of interest, why do you think the icons need to be bigger? On a TV they're going to be quite big at that scale, and easily readable. I think it's better to fill the screen with the stuff that stems from the icons to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Strange that you would think that, especially given that the PS5 has the fastest SSD of the new consoles by some margin.

Fair enough, but it's just weird they didn't show it. Surely more useful to the average person than being able to watch someone else's stream. I'll assume it's in there and put it down to Sony's usual confusing messaging.

Destruction All Stars was a cold boot, so they could have easily shown it.

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I think it's better to fill the screen with the stuff that stems from the icons to be honest.

But they didn't fill the screen is my point, there's nothing in the above screenshot except empty space. It could be seen as clean, but the way everything is tucked into each corner I actually find just looks messy. And why is the game box on it twice?

I love UI design but not much of a fan of this. The in-game one is a little better though but from the reaction I'm reading online, a lot of people are asking if you can just disable the cards, so I'm not sure how much of success those will be in practise.

Edited by Ronnie

50 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

But they didn't fill the screen is my point, there's nothing in the above screenshot except empty space. It could be seen as clean, but the way everything is tucked into each corner I actually find just looks messy. And why is the game box on it twice?

I suspect that space may get filled. On the PS4 you have an activity feed for each game and updates and so on. I'm guessing it's blank now because the PS5 isn't even out yet it might be like that. Even so, I don't mind it, it puts emphasis on the background image which looks quite nice. All the extra space on screen makes it look quite clean and uncluttered.

but from the reaction I'm reading online, a lot of people are asking if you can just disable the cards

Remember though to be wary of the internet echo chamber.

Edited by Sheikah

The UI is a what I expected really, just an unexciting evolution of the PS4's.

I am a fan of the new party features, it feels like a party is closer to what you get with say a Discord server. I like how you can name the party and share stuff quite easily with the rest of the group. Screen sharing is neat, I can see myself using it for multiplayer games (e.g. when joining a party and a game is in progress). I've tried the integrated streaming stuff on PS4 a few times and it was functional but a bit slow and clunky, enough to put me off using it frequently. This seems way more streamlined.

I save a lot of videos, so if they're now 4K I'm going to be filling up that SSD pretty damn quick.

1 minute ago, Zell said:

I save a lot of videos, so if they're now 4K I'm going to be filling up that SSD pretty damn quick.

Yeah, it would be real neat if there was some auto upload feature while the PS5 goes into sleep mode, that subsequently deletes the videos off the local drive after uploading (if you set it to).