NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

the other is a lovely minimalist box

You mean the incredibly ugly monolithic box that looks like someone has chopped a cheap PC in half?

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You could equally say that for a console that's more powerful, the Xbox Series X is impressively engineered to be full of that much tech, especially for a device that's not too far off half the size of the PS5 (6.86l v 10.14l).

More powerful on paper, but the more custom parts of the PS5 means that paper isn't everything and the PS5 could very likely be more powerful from an real life results standpoint.

Ah, so we're back to "my preferred console looks better, and your preferred console is ugly"?

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Is the PS5 customisable or do do just mean the parts are custom built (surely true of both consoles?)

You could equally say that for a console that's more powerful, the Xbox Series X is impressively engineered to be full of that much tech, especially for a device that's not too far off half the size of the PS5 (6.86l v 10.14l).

As for the tear-downs I spend more time looking at the outside of a console than the inside or touching it to see which one cools slightly better. If anything the PS5 just looks worse the more I see it. One is the ugliest console I've ever seen and the other is a lovely minimalist box I would much rather have out on display. But at the end of the day, that's a subjective opinion and the look of a console isn't that big a deal anyway.

I think you're trying to be a bit disingenuous with that question, as it's pretty clear from looking at the photo of the Series X innards what I'm getting at. If you look at the parts inside the Series X (e.g. the disc drive) these look like completely standard off-the-shelf parts. At the very least, even their custom parts have not exactly been designed and spaced with airflow in mind. Not just that, but the design ethos of the Series X seems to have been to more or less layer parts on top of each other like a compact PC, without actually putting much thought into airflow and heat dissipation. It feels as though a lot more thought and customisation of the individual parts and design has happened with the PS5. Just look at the PS5's motherboard for instance, with the spacing of modules on it.

You're making the point that the Xbox is more powerful but then it has reduced airflow and cooling...that's not a good combination then, is it? There are already many reports of how the Series X gets very hot during use and that's just when it's playing BC games.

I don't share people's obsession with the size and appearance of the unit, especially after seeing the impressive teardown - would people really rather have a machine that overheats and gets noisier in place of it being smaller and more box-like? Who even looks at their machine while playing games? I don't, but I certainly hear it.

Edited by Sheikah

I agree with you, @Sheikah, it is a more impressive piece of tech (imo) than the Series X. I’m set on a PS5 and a PC for exactly the reasons you outline - I can build something myself that will be far more powerful than the Series X, in the same form factor, and that combo will give me access to everything.

But I also agree with you, @Ronnie, the PS5 is super ugly and I really don’t want to have to look at it in my living room. Unfortunately I’m going to have to because it’s so insanely large I can’t put it in my cabinet.

9 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I don't share people's obsession with the size and appearance of the unit, especially after seeing the impressive teardown - would people really rather have a machine that overheats and gets noisier in place of it being smaller and more box-like? Who even looks at their machine while playing games? I don't, but I certainly hear it.

I’d have liked a better compromise between the two. From what I’ve heard the Series X is fine on the cooling so I don’t know that Sony had to take things as far as they have. It shouldn’t come down to a choice between a terrible looking console that runs cool and a good looking console that burns the house down - I think Microsoft got it right on this one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Will said:

t shouldn’t come down to a choice between a terrible looking console that runs cool and a good looking console that burns the house down

For me it'll be: A nice looking console that is insanely good at cooling (apparently). :p

Then again, @Glen-i just told me that I have no taste so...who am I to talk...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Will said:

I’d have liked a better compromise between the two. From what I’ve heard the Series X is fine on the cooling so I don’t know that Sony had to take things as far as they have. It shouldn’t come down to a choice between a terrible looking console that runs cool and a good looking console that burns the house down - I think Microsoft got it right on this one. 

There are plenty of reports of Series X getting very hot (being referred to as "like a fireplace"), and this is just when playing BC games. We have no idea what it'll be like when playing intensive Series X games.

More to the point, heat will be a limiter to performance and potentially longevity. As a result of the design we could well see Series X making a fair bit more noise further down the line, especially once it starts to get filled with dust.

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

For me it'll be: A nice looking console that is insanely good at cooling (apparently). :p

Then again, @Glen-i just told me that I have no taste so...who am I to talk...

Gonna have to agree with him on this one!

But of course, different people like different things and it’s great for those who do like it. I think maybe I’ll feel different once I can get some less in your face... fins(?) for it.

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

There are plenty of reports of Series X getting very hot (being referred to as "like a fireplace"), and this is just when playing BC games. We have no idea what it'll be like when playing intensive Series X games.

More to the point, heat will be a limiter to performance and potentially longevity. As a result of the design we could well see Series X making a fair bit more noise further down the line, especially once it starts to get filled with dust.

I guess I hadn’t paid enough attention to the reports on it, but yeah, taking a quick look it’s definitely concerning on how hot it seems to get. I guess at this point they may not be running with optimized software and so it will be better once we get the retail versions of the machine. I did read one article that said - “The console is emitting heat like crazy. It’s almost like a fireplace shaft. You can heat up your flat with it” - maybe that’s a feature for some parts of the world?

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Gonna have to agree with him on this one!

But of course, different people like different things and it’s great for those who do like it.

I also like the Series S/X design.

SO? WHAT NOW? :p

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I also like the Series S/X design.

SO? WHAT NOW? :p

NO! You’re doing it wrong. Pick one console and absolutely hate everything about the other one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

I think you're trying to be a bit disingenuous with that question, as it's pretty clear from looking at the photo of the Series X innards what I'm getting at. If you look at the parts inside the Series X (e.g. the disc drive) these look like completely standard off-the-shelf parts. At the very least, even their custom parts have not exactly been designed and spaced with airflow in mind. Not just that, but the design ethos of the Series X seems to have been to more or less layer parts on top of each other like a compact PC, without actually putting much thought into airflow and heat dissipation. It feels as though a lot more thought and customisation of the individual parts and design has happened with the PS5. Just look at the PS5's motherboard for instance, with the spacing of modules on it.

You're making the point that the Xbox is more powerful but then it has reduced airflow and cooling...that's not a good combination then, is it? There are already many reports of how the Series X gets very hot during use and that's just when it's playing BC games.

1 hour ago, Cube said:

More powerful on paper, but the more custom parts of the PS5 means that paper isn't everything and the PS5 could very likely be more powerful from an real life results standpoint.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how things turn out in reality. My post was more suggesting that both boxes are impressive in different ways... Microsoft has managed to cram a lot of tech (potentially more) in a much smaller box, PS5's build is impressively tailor-made so that everything works well together. 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Ah, so we're back to "my preferred console looks better, and your preferred console is ugly"?

No, we're bringing up how we think the PS5 is ugly. Simple. I'm getting one and I'm not getting an Xbox at launch, so it's nothing to do with what you're suggesting. 

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Will said:

NO! You’re doing it wrong. Pick one console and absolutely hate everything about the other one.

Lol the amount of this everywhere is crazy. 

• Like 1

Not sure whether to agree with you, as I don't know which side you're on...
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, bob said:
3 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Not sure whether to agree with you, as I don't know which side you're on...

Hahaha personally don't understand it myself. It's like the Android / iOS thing. I swap between both with no problem at all and can give credit to either for the things they do well. But also am aware that both have their flaws. 

Years ago I would have always gone Microsoft (talking ps3 days), as I did much prefer virtually everything about the 360 over ps3. But as time has gone by I much prefer the exclusives on PS now and whilst PS went up in virtually all elements with the PS4, Xbox seemingly got worse with the One. 

They seem to be getting their stuff together now though and I have preordered a Series X. So I guess in answer to your question... Microsoft's side. SONY IS SHIT. Is that how you do it? :p 

A console only needs two things to be truly fantastic looking:

• A handle
  • Painted spice orange
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I've had time to watch the PS5 teardown video more closely now. One thing that struck me throughout is just how much more smartly (and painstakingly) designed the PS5 is compared to the Series X, which we saw torn down by Digital Foundry a few months back.

Not looked at this at all yet but veru curious is it not? Wasn't the PS4 and XBone basically constructed with more of an off-the-shelf parts model? Curious but good Sony have gone the other way into pushing custom tech and boundary edges with it - for the faults many would have with Nintendo they were always very much into squeezing tech with their approaches it seemed(sadly often just had gaps and often left a lot of gaps/security vulnerabilities in their consoles though).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

No, we're bringing up how we think the PS5 is ugly. Simple. I'm getting one and I'm not getting an Xbox at launch, so it's nothing to do with what you're suggesting. 

I'm honestly quite surprised by that, I got the impression from your posts that you thought Xbox were doing a much better job of it. Think I saw that you were interested in Ratchet and Clank, will that be day one for you? 

As much as I want Demon's Souls I doubt I'll be buying it at launch for 70 quid.

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I'm honestly quite surprised by that, I got the impression from your posts that you thought Xbox were doing a much better job of it. Think I saw that you were interested in Ratchet and Clank, will that be day one for you? 

As much as I want Demon's Souls I doubt I'll be buying it at launch for 70 quid.

I sold my PS4 a few months ago, hadn't switched it on since Spider-Man, and have been using my Xbox One X for multiplats. I think Sony have been bungling the marketing for a while now but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The games that I'm interested in are there. As huge as the Bethesda get is for Xbox, I don't play first person games, so will always gravitate towards Sony's brand of third person action games.

Definitely getting Ratchet, just for the visuals alone, it's akin to a summer popcorn film.

• Like 1

I'm actually going the other way. I'm getting a Series S at launch to replace my One X but the fact that Microsoft are launching without any exclusive software is just plain comical in my eyes. That said, Yakuza should be enough to keep me entertained.

I'm going to hold off getting a PS5 until we've got a bigger TV. Annoyingly, the software looks absolutely superb and I'm a bit gutted that I'm going to miss out on Spiderman, as well as Demon Souls and Ratchet. I imagine I'll end up buying one late into 2021, which I'm hoping is when Gran Turismo also launches.

• Like 1

The PS5™ console is backward compatible with the overwhelming majority of PS4™ games. That means an amazing collection of thousands of PS4 games can be played on your PS5 console.

PS4 games playable on PS5 consoles
The overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles. 

• Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console’s Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate. 
  • Although many PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
  • Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
  • Please note, playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PlayStation VR headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required). 
  • Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.

PS4 only games
While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:
DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

Source

10 PS4 games not playable on PS5. Thankfully My Name is Mayo isn't on that list.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Select the game hub from your Games home.

Select game library from your Games home.

UI hints? :p

So BC will be as expected.

Sony delivering the goods. First the teardown, now this.

Next week UI? Personally, I'm not that interested in it but I'd obviously still check out the news.