NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

I'm going to buy a new tv for the ps5, but I was hoping just a regular 4k tv would be good enough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tales said:

I'm going to buy a new tv for the ps5, but I was hoping just a regular 4k tv would be good enough.

Yeah, think it'll be fine. I picked up a regular, mid-to-lower end Samsung 4K TV (first TV I've bought!) earlier this year, but don't quite see myself putting in the money for an awesome 4K TV anytime soon. Plus, I'm really liking it so far, no complaints :peace:

That money would be much better off for me being spent on the games :laughing:

EDIT: also, this is happening. 

Factions news, maybe..? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

So, Sony fans... it looks like the Xbox Series S (and X, for that matter) is beating the PlayStation 5 on value.

Oh... no, no, no. :p 

Has there been any word as to the price of games digitally for the PS5 and whether they'll match retail pricing this time round or whether they'll again be more expensive buying from the PS Store. Looking at my savings in the aftermath of the Series X All Access shitshow and trying to work out whether going digital with the PS5 would allow me to be able to grab one should digital editions become available. Similarly whether I'd actually manage to get games cheaper buying digitally thanks to recurrent sales on gift cards for the PS Store on places like Shopto and CD Keys.

If the digital pricing for games is matching physical release prices this time around, as opposed to either being £5 or £10 more for titles as has been the case up till now, I think I'd be OK jumping in on digital as I've already got a massive library of digital games on the PS4 that I've bought and got through PS Plus and it would potentially save in the long run thanks to, as I say, being able to get the gift cards cheaper online through aforementioned stores.

Just curious thats all if there has been any wording as I've not seen any mention of it. Obviously finding a PS5 Digital Edition would be another matter but something I'm considering if it works out price wise for games as I'm fine with losing the disc drive for it and I'd really like to upgrade from my launch PS4 model to next gen especially ad I dread playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my launch PS4, probably won't be able to hear anything being said in game with how loud it would get (with the Series X I was purely the possibility of spreading the higher cost because I don't want to run through all my savings with home renovations that might need doing, i.e. might need to replace parts in my boiler, and I use my Xbox One as my main multimedia platform on top of Gamepass).

If anyone has seen anything, let me know.

3 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

If the digital pricing for games is matching physical release prices this time around

This has always confused me. People say digital is more expensive than retail but in both cases the RRP is the same?
Obviously some retailers sell stuff for less, but I don't see any digital storefront to match those prices ever.

Expect PS5 games to be 80€ on the PSN store (or whatever your currency is).

It's going to be interesting whether PSN credit will continue to be cheaper in some online offerings. It's quite easy to get 50€ credit for 40-45€.

Edited by drahkon

I haven't seen much on digital pricing but my current plan is to buy some ShopTo top ups over the next few months so when the console is released I should be able to get some better deals.

• Like 1

There’s no reason to expect digital pricing strategies to be any different to how they are now. I would expect launch pricing on PSN to be at RRP as opposed to a small discount you get ordering a physical copy online. You’ll be able to buy top up cards with pretty much the same situation as you have now.

I’d say if you’d have been OK with digital only on PS4 you’ll be fine with it on PS5, if not, you won’t be.

This has always confused me. People say digital is more expensive than retail but in both cases the RRP is the same?
Obviously some retailers sell stuff for less, but I don't see any digital storefront to match those prices ever.
It's going to be interesting whether PSN credit will continue to be cheaper in some online offerings. It's quite easy to get 50€ credit for 40-45€.
I assume they mean a few months after launch.

Physical discs tend to get discounted and bought for cheap, while digital copies take longer to get any sort of discount. Probably because physical copies cost people money to store, so they want to get rid of them sooner.

30 minutes ago, drahkon said:

In the UK there's quite a lot of competition for physical games. Most retailers here sell for less, probably around 20% or so cheaper in most cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bob said:

I assume they mean a few months after launch.

Physical discs tend to get discounted and bought for cheap, while digital copies take longer to get any sort of discount. Probably because physical copies cost people money to store, so they want to get rid of them sooner.

I mean, even at launch you can also consistently get games at £5 - £10 less than the RRP listed on the PS Store at retail, like @Ganepark32 mentioned. And as you said Bob, the price goes down much faster (and much more consistently) at retail. 

Personally, I only buy digitally when there's a game I'm interested in and the deal is far too good when compared with the physical price, normally during the digital sales. Last month for instance, I picked up the Crash N. Sane Trilogy and the Spyro Reignited Trilogy for less than £30, when the physical copies would have cost me about £30 each at the time. 

To ganepark's question, I think it depends on if you think you'll be buying games on release day consistently. I imagine we're going to see RRP remain around the same for the next six months or so on both retail and digital storefronts, before inevitably we're going to start seeing the AAA first party games coming it at £65 instead of £70, whereas it will still probably be £70 on the store. AAA games normally don't get put on sale on the PS Store in their first 6 months or so from what I've seen, unless they're absolutely tanking, so I guess it depends on how much you can pick up some PS Store credit for. 

Though, you mention Cyberpunk, and we know that will be getting a free update from PS4 to PS5 with a Day 1 patch before we get the actual PS5 upgrade next year, meaning you could pick up the PS4 version and play it on the PS5? I've seen that going for £45 vs the £59.99 RRP it'll probably come in at, and you could potentially do the same for Miles Morales (£43-ish on PS4 I think, vs what will probably be £50 at RRP on the PS Store?), which will also come with a free PS5 upgrade. I imagine it's going to be a similar case for other AAA cross-gen titles on the way like Horizon Forbidden West, etc. 

Just something worth bearing in mind the backwards compatibility + free PS5 upgrades, because compared to the expected RRP that's already knocking off a decent chunk, and that £90 extra for the disc drive would probably pay for itself within a year or two (depending on how many games you get - but of course, if you wait on physical, it'll probably end up quite a bit cheaper too!). 

Edited by Julius

I wonder if the PS Store will hide the PS4 versions of free upgrade games on the PS5 (although you would still be able to buy via the website).

23 minutes ago, Cube said:

I wonder if the PS Store will hide the PS4 versions of free upgrade games on the PS5 (although you would still be able to buy via the website).

I was wondering about that too, and it would make sense. Why would they want to advertise £50 and £40 versions (or something like that) of Miles Morales on the same store, for the exact same game? 

I don't think they'll be made available digitally on the PS5's PS Store I guess, I think you're right. Also got to imagine some of those older FIFA and annual sports games won't be coming over on the Store too, amongst many others which companies might have plans for Special Editions/Remasters down the road, even if not offering the same upgrade but just boosted performance (e.g. DMC V's Special Edition).

Now I'm also stuck wondering where this would leave games like Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2? I would say God of War too, but that's in the PS+ Collection, at least. They seem ripe for remasters. 

Thanks for the responses everyone.

@drahkon, game prices in brick and mortar retail have for most of the generation been £49.99 and have only been going above that regularly in the last 2 years or so, still only really gping up to £54.99. The PS Store has predominantly hosted those games for sale for £54.99 and now regularly £59.99, so while not a massive mark up compared to retail stores its still not parity with those retail prices. I'm purposefully ignoring online retail because they tend to heavily discount compared to brick and mortar and it was brick and mortar who were responsible for the initial price disparity because they threatened to remove or stop selling games from publishers if they didn't let them retail in store for less than on the platforms stores. Why it still persists, in an era where physical games can be bought much cheaper than in brick and mortar store online I don't know but my hope was that Sony will ignore those old threats and price games in line with those in retail stores and not slightly marked up.

More than happy enough with the increased price of games. The last few years has seen them going up and to be honest, while I get why some are unhappy I've come to accept it is an inevitability with the rising cost of development. With next gen games being set to be £65, its fine by me. It may mean I buy less (and I likely will as the last couple of years I've had a bad habit of buying games digitally, starting them and not necessarily going back to them because something else has come along) but that means I'll likely focus on the bigger releases I want and still support indies which is kind of what I've done for most of the PS4 life cycle.

I think that speaks to your point @Julius. The higher price may mean I'm less likely to buy straight away at launch but at this point in my life, I kind of know with the bigger releases what I'm looking for so that selectivity is something I already do to a degree. I have waited for sales often with bigger releases in the past so thats something that's again not an issue. With top up cards being on offer regularly, though, it does mean that I might not miss out or have to wait as frequently for some of the bigger games as expected. I guess its that thing I'd have to wait up and with having an Xbox One and still being part of the Gamepass ecosystem, if there are lulls in purchases from me with a digital PS5 then I'd be more than covered there.

The omission of the disc drive means that that extra £90 would grab me £100 top up card from Shopto currently (they're selling it for £87.85) so while there may be pay off for the standard model down the line after the higher output on launch, the digital PS5 would actually allow me to grab more games because of that £90 saving. Again, its something that I'll take into consideration along with probably being more selective with my game purchases (especially as I have used trade-in offers on stores in the past to pick up newer releases) but I think its something that I could deal with going forward. As I say, something I'll have to ponder.

@Happenstance, yeah that's why I've been thinking about possibly going with the digital PS5. With the prices Shopto are selling the PlayStation top up cards, I could easily build up a hefty wallet size over the next couple of weeks and have a very healthy balance come launch should I be able to grab a console (I'm not hopeful but I'm hoping that Argos will have stock up for click and collect on midnight of launch for the morning so I might be able to grab one there. A long shot but something to hold on to at least unless more become available online). So I was going to do exactly what you're doing if I was getting one. I mean, £100 wallet top up for under £90 is too good to miss out on and as I've said, that saving on the digital instantly nets me Miles Morales and something else at launch before I factor in any further top ups I'd add.

As I say, thanks everyone for input. I'm just hoping that Sony do at least run parity with brick and mortar stores as then its something I'd go in on. Most of my PS4 library is now digital so I wouldn't lose out on much there by going digital backwards compatibility wise. I'll have to mull it over and hope that more digital PS5s become available or hope that Argos has some on launch day but maybe my way in to next gen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2020 at 11:11 PM, Deathjam said:

Whew, it's been a looooong time since I posted on these forums. Probably due to not gaming on the pc these days and sticking to PS4 and chatting to the people I see over there during destiny sessions. But exciting times are ahead and it's left me wondering about other's opinions like right now, what are most people's TV situation? Has anyone gone out of their way to get a new tv for next gen? I wasn't going to, but then my OLED has been struck down with BURN-IN sickness. It's slight but I can see the Destiny lifebars when I am watching youtube and it really bother's me. 

So coupled with a bit of self pity last week due to illness, I spent WAAAY too much money and bought one of LG's new 65 inch OLEDs that will support 120fps at 4k and the variable refresh rates tech. Has anyone else been 'forced' to do the same? Do you also have an inner voice telling you how much of a crazy fool you are? Or will the current TV suffice and there probably won't be much that actually achieves 60+ fps?

Eyyy DJ! Good to see you again - I still remember your Blue link at that Smash-off at Gamestation once - didn't realise it was you til we came on here later tho!

Funny enough been having the TV convo with my mate recently. I had one break recently but generally I'm still on old school standard non-smart LCD(no real 4k devices or needs atm) but I'm thinking once I have a PS5 I might start looking into new things. I really have NO idea of this whole TV market these days tho - who tend to be the trusted or respected brands these days? I used to have an affinity to Samsung but no idea if they are any good with their 4k and stuff.

• Like 1

@Ganepark32 I’ve been stocking up on shopto credit as well. The best value one is the £45 top up for around £37, works out about 16% off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Map said:

@Ganepark32 I’ve been stocking up on shopto credit as well. The best value one is the £45 top up for around £37, works out about 16% off.

Thanks for that! I was just looking at their top up prices again and that one does indeed off the best saving across the board. Certainly adds some more food for thought to grabbing the digital console if I can find one at launch. If I end up going with the digital, I'll be picking up Cyberpunk 2077 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla before any other launch titles so being able to save a couple extra pounds with that £45 wallet top up at that price on Shopto means that there'll be more money to go around at launch for other games. Think I will buy some and start saving up.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Map said:

Brilliant! I just bought two!

I'll get another one or two next month - then can go daft on launch day lol.  

Twerk Twerking GIF - Twerk Twerking Girl GIFs

• Like 2

Just had an email from GAME that they'll have more stock in for pre-order late tomorrow morning so going to chance my luck and grab a pre-order for the digital console. Not sure if this new allocation will be for launch or shortly after but either way, if I can grab one I'll be happy enough. Expecting their site to be hammered all morning but I've got myself logged in so fingers crossed I can grab one and then I'll just grab some Shopto top ups and I'll be sorted.

48 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Just had an email from GAME

(they apparently add a 10 bucks delivery fee...just FYI)

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

Just had an email from GAME that they'll have more stock in for pre-order late tomorrow morning so going to chance my luck and grab a pre-order for the digital console. Not sure if this new allocation will be for launch or shortly after but either way, if I can grab one I'll be happy enough. Expecting their site to be hammered all morning but I've got myself logged in so fingers crossed I can grab one and then I'll just grab some Shopto top ups and I'll be sorted.

Just a heads-up because I pre-ordered with GAME last week, have your account ready to go but if it doesn't work (I can almost guarantee it won't), checkout as a guest instead, you'll get through much faster. You can add it to your account after by adding the Order # for Tracking, good luck! :smile:

23 minutes ago, drahkon said:

(they apparently add a 10 bucks delivery fee...just FYI)

Yeah I read about that the other day, they added it in after the first batch of pre-orders sold out (so luckily I didn't end up with it) and without telling people/advertising it. 

Knowing GAME I'm a bit surprised it wasn't there from the offset, I'm guessing they just forgot :laughing:

Edited by Julius

Note that GAME charge a tenner for delivery now, even if you pick up from store. I would avoid those chumps like the plague.
  • Like 1

Gosh, I'm glad GAME don't add a delivery fee to orders as that would've been a sticky situation on checkout.

giphy.gif

:p

Yeah saw that they do that. Can't upsell the usual nonsense to people online can they (lukewarm tin of miscellaneous energy drink thats been sat for 2 months for £1.50 anyone?) :angry:

Smyths are the only other places saying they'll have more stock but after the other day with the Xbox pre-orders, I don't trust them to have their site up. Not that GAME will cope as their site is already got a queue of people trying to register/login. Luckily I'm already logged in and have it saved on this device for that purpose so should cut down on that issue. Just hope I can find the product page fast enough seeing as they haven't been the fastest for putting up pages in the past and they've then sold out by the time I've found them. Either that or people are getting backdoor links.

I'd hope for Shopto getting some stock but I suspect that the sheer volume of people who registered interest mean that they'll be covered for some time in getting stock to people. Can only hope.

• Haha 1