NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

The amount of hyperbole around yesterday's event is absolutely comical. As much as I love forums and social media, ultimately they represent a tiny minority of the people actually buying consoles.

The only real disappoint from yesterday's event was the news that Horizon is unfortunately a cross generational game, which suggests that it started development on PS4 first before having its engine tweaked to run on next gen hardware too. Yeah, it's disappointing, but that doesn't mean that Sony's 'we believe in generations' comment is invalid, and I'm certain that after a year or two cross gen games will stop completely from Sony's POV. The PS4 has 2-3 years left in it so it's not surprising that games originally developed on PS4 engines and tools will release on it.

It's important to keep in mind that 'We believe in generations' does not mean that 'We will never release cross gen games again'. It simply means that Sony believe that games built from ground on PS5 will never be able to run on lesser hardware. I imagine God of War 2 will be one of those games, as are Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls.

Anyway, I decided against a pre-order despite Demon Souls being confirmed for launch. We're still isolating at my fiancee's family home and I can't justify a PS5 in two months when I don't know if/when I'll be playing it on a 4K TV. Having a new TV delivered here seems pointless when it's not my house.

• Like 3

Anyone getting any of the accessories at launch? I almost preordered the headset today as I'm interested to hear all the 3D audio stuff with their official headphones but I figured I can wait and see comparisons between regular ones first.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anyone getting any of the accessories at launch? I almost preordered the headset today as I'm interested to hear all the 3D audio stuff with their official headphones but I figured I can wait and see comparisons between regular ones first.

Yeah, I'm getting a few. 

Besides the extra DualSense, I'm getting the charging stand, media remote, and headset. 

So everything besides the camera :laughing:

I think I’ll get an extra controller and the charger but none of the other stuff. Will only use it for games so the remote seems pointless and I never game with headphones or have any use for the camera other than VR. Not even sure about the extra controller to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Will said:

I think I’ll get an extra controller and the charger but none of the other stuff. Will only use it for games so the remote seems pointless and I never game with headphones or have any use for the camera other than VR. Not even sure about the extra controller to be honest.

But what if you suddenly get the urge to become a world famous Twitch streamer???

If I'll be able to afford the PS5, I doubt I'll get any accessory for a while. The only one I'd be interested in, would be the headphones, but I'm hoping that my current 3rd party pair will work with the new console.

In other news, here's an interview with Jim Ryan (if it's been posted before, sorry).

37 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

But what if you suddenly get the urge to become a world famous Twitch streamer???

That’s the big problem really. I guess I’ll have to decide between now and launch on whether to become a world famous streamer or not, can’t risk leaving it to chance like that.

• Like 1

Took a walk to GAME in town, put a deposit down to secure the 2nd to last disk PS5 they had allocated to them.  The digital version sold out in-store by 9am, and they had some more allocations come in at 11.  Even though i have a pre-order down on Shopto, before the site went down they had something mentioning you'll be emailed if there's stock for launch.

• Like 1

Got well tempted by a TGC bundle but got distracted and everything was changed - was apparently 510 disk model extra dualsense AND the headset dealie thingy; if that bundle becomes real anywhere again that's me for launch. Not even bothered about ps5 games. What a mad world I'm about to buy a console without a care at all for a game on it per se - when I was a kid it was the games that made me want the system!!

• Like 1

Seeing that new Monster Hunter game announced made me think about a potential sequel to World ever coming to next gen. I’d love to see one building on we got from World and possibly incorporating stuff they’ve learnt from this new game. 

Quick update - I managed to order PS5 this morning on Amazon so cancelled my ShopTo one.

Now we just have to wait..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................................

falling GIF

• Like 1

Got my pre-orders in for Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls with ShopTo as well earlier today, so other than keeping an eye out for Cyberpunk 2077, my launch day pre-ordering is all done! 

:peace:

8 minutes ago, Julius said:

Got my pre-orders in for Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls with ShopTo as well earlier today, so other than keeping an eye out for Cyberpunk 2077, my launch day pre-ordering is all done! 

:peace:

Pretty much done myself, got Spider-Man: Miles Morales ordered which will do nicely.  And ordered Sackboy for the Mrs to play.

13 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Pretty much done myself, got Spider-Man: Miles Morales ordered which will do nicely.  And ordered Sackboy for the Mrs to play.

I actually found myself hovering over Sackboy, but decided against it for now, just because I don't know when I'd end up actually playing it with so much I already want to play at launch. 

Also just saw the price for Destruction AllStars is £70?! That seems super high! 

Edited by Julius

The amount of hyperbole around yesterday's event is absolutely comical. As much as I love forums and social media, ultimately they represent a tiny minority of the people actually buying consoles.

The only real disappoint from yesterday's event was the news that Horizon is unfortunately a cross generational game, which suggests that it started development on PS4 first before having its engine tweaked to run on next gen hardware too. Yeah, it's disappointing, but that doesn't mean that Sony's 'we believe in generations' comment is invalid, and I'm certain that after a year or two cross gen games will stop completely from Sony's POV. The PS4 has 2-3 years left in it so it's not surprising that games originally developed on PS4 engines and tools will release on it.

It's important to keep in mind that 'We believe in generations' does not mean that 'We will never release cross gen games again'. It simply means that Sony believe that games built from ground on PS5 will never be able to run on lesser hardware. I imagine God of War 2 will be one of those games, as are Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls.

Anyway, I decided against a pre-order despite Demon Souls being confirmed for launch. We're still isolating at my fiancee's family home and I can't justify a PS5 in two months when I don't know if/when I'll be playing it on a 4K TV. Having a new TV delivered here seems pointless when it's not my house.

I think they are deserving of criticism in the way they have handled this though. For instance, like you say Horizon has probably been a PS4 title that is now being ported to PS5 as well, but you would absolutely not have that impression from the way they have revealed it so far. This is in stark contrast to games like Twilight Princess, Halo Infinite and BoTW, which we new from the off were last gen games that were also releasing on new consoles.

Also consider that they have been stressing they believe in clear cut generations but have at no point up to now clarified that they will be releasing their games on the last gen consoles too. They must have known the narrative that was forming about them believing in clear cut generations, and they helped fuel that narrative, but at no point up until now have they clarified this.

Like you say though, they won't support the PS4 for long and this will be something to ease the transition.

One minute people are complaining that Sony are anti-consumer, now they're the bad guys for continuing to support their existing PS4 customers who won't be upgrading straight away. They really can't win. But then we already knew that...

They've continued support previous gens long into the new gen with every new Playstation. I find it hard to believe any of you are surprised, when they've literally done the exact same thing 3 times previously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One minute people are complaining that Sony are anti-consumer, now they're the bad guys for continuing to support their existing PS4 customers who won't be upgrading straight away. They really can't win. But then we already knew that...

They've continued support previous gens long into the new gen with every new Playstation. I find it hard to believe any of you are surprised, when they've literally done the exact same thing 3 times previously.

Well I am surprised that Horizon, which they said was for PS5 (and never PS4), while saying over and over that the tech inside PS5 made it possible, is possible on PS4 after all.

And by surprised I mean that I'm surprised they thought that level of bluff would fly under the radar.

As you all know, I like Sony products and consoles generally (and am super pumped for PS5) and have no agenda in this discussion. Just the Eurogamer article is spot on for calling some of these things out.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Well I am surprised that Horizon, which they said was for PS5 (and never PS4), while saying over and over that the tech inside PS5 made it possible, is possible on PS4 after all.

I guess it's like saying it's possible for me to hold a conversation in Italian at 4am. It's possible, doesn't mean it'll be good 😋

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Goafer said:

Look man, it's all about pro-money. Pro consumer just tends to, would you believe, correlate with that rather often and more so in this current world.

But people want to get pissed at Sony for this? I explained before how anti-Sony I was once and I still haven't forgotten - but these are the same boys with constant dropped lasers in ps2 that seemed to be intentional designs to fail, the boys who put fucking invisble rootkits on audio cds that would install without your knowledge if you put that in your pc, and also the fuckers who basically shut down lik-sang.....no? Have I mistaken any stories? The shock and surprise confuses me - sure we're all gamers still but we grown a bit more now and hopefully we kinda just realise...this is how this business is? This is how it does?

Managed to snag one in store at Game for my kid, would only let me get 1 though so I guess I won’t get a PS5 till next year. 

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

lik-sang

I’d totally forgotten about these guys. Got my GameCube from them back in the day.

Amazon orders were open for about 30 seconds here... I GOT ONE!

Time to start getting excited.

• Like 3

Argos have pre orders up for everything if anyone is still looking. Think you might have to pay upfront though.

Edit - Sold out.

Edited by Map