NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

1 minute ago, Cookyman said:

Just ordered at ShopTo.  

Is that a proper pre-order? All I see on ShopTo is registering your interest.

1 minute ago, Cookyman said:

Just ordered at ShopTo.  

Do you have a link by any chance Cookyman?

All I'm finding are the 'Register Your Interest' spots :blank: 

Pretty funny to see the usual people desperately rushing to find faults now that the price has been announced as the same as the Xbox.

As for continuing to support the PS4? Sounds pretty pro-consumer if you ask me. Can't say I'm surprised either, Sony always support the previous gen for quite a while after the new one comes out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Do you have a link by any chance Cookyman?

All I'm finding are the 'Register Your Interest' spots :blank: 

When you click on register your interest it comes up as a pre order.

Just now, Cookyman said:

I think they’ve been offering that for a while now. I never trust those kind of ones as they never know their stock allocation etc.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I think they’ve been offering that for a while now. I never trust those kind of ones as they never know their stock allocation etc.

I've never had any trouble with Shopto in the past so I'll see how it goes. 

"what could possibly go wrong?"

lol

2 minutes ago, Cookyman said:

That's still not a proper pre-order, it's the thing that costs £0.01 and that I did earlier today before the event.

• Sad 1

I've finally caught up on this. Overall I was very impressed.

- The FFXVI console exclusivity (even if timed) is a massive deal which I think can't be overstated. Final Fantasy is a huge series and the game looked pretty good to me. Although really, fucking crystals again!
- This is a really nice launch lineup in my opinion; way better than your usual launch lineups these days and better than their direct competition
- Demon's Souls looked incredible
- The decision to put the new Horizon on PS4 as well is absolutely deserving of criticism that Dcubed is giving it. I'll forgive them for doing it for Spiderman since that was clearly a reworked PS4 title that could clearly run on PS4, but this decision with Horizon shows that the game will not be made to take full advantage of the SSD. If you remember that talk Mark Cerny gave about how traditionally game levels had to be designed in such a way to accommodate loading, this will surely still apply to this game with it being cross gen. That said, the PS5 is clearly still getting next gen exclusives that aren't cross gen (e.g. Demon's Souls) so it's not as bad as Microsoft in this regard, who said they would develop games to be cross gen for the next few years.
- That price. Dat. Price. The digital price of £360 is actually incredible - you have a full fat console just without the disc drive coming in at just 10 pounds more than the PS4 launched at 7 years ago. That is actually astonishing when you think about it, given the tech - to be fair, the Series S is a cracking price too. And the PS5 regular edition matching the Xbox price is a smart move, and one we all predicted.

Well, I say all...

They will not.  That is total lalaland.
Series X being a mere £449.99 is a fucking miracle. The SSD alone is worth about £200!

You knew I wasn't going to let this go, in your heart of hearts ;). Telling me I was in lalaland, cheeky git.

We told you so!

One thing I will end on is that competition is a great thing, and I'm glad that the Xbox leaks happened when they did because it seems like Sony have price matched accordingly. Thanks to competition we have some excellently priced consoles!

Now for the Amazon preorders to go live. :)
  • Thanks 1

Either way I've got a normal edition pre-order in with Game now, although I would definitely prefer if I can find a digital edition and then cancel that one :/

Just now, Cookyman said:

I've never had any trouble with Shopto in the past so I'll see how it goes. 

"what could possibly go wrong?"

lol

Yeah, I think it should be fine? We'll see I guess :laughing:

I registered a while back with them, imagine it should be the case we get an email tomorrow at some point and then can just confirm the payment method. Ideally. :D

Got one secured with GAME at least as a backup, but yeah, would much rather go with ShopTo. Had a really good experience with them on both the customer service and delivery front for games, so I'll see. 

Will be trying to get that charging stand I couldn't get from GAME from there at least! :p probably the games too

42 minutes ago, Julius said:

Has anyone had any recent experience with GAME's online pre-orders? It seems fine from what I've looked up, but would appreciate hearing any experiences others have had :) 

Not sure you can call it recent anymore but I got my Switch from Game it arrived day of release just fine.

So I've pre-ordered from ShopTo...

PS5 - full fat edition

Extra controller

Charging Stand

Media Remote

3D Headphones

I'll buy games digitally despite having disc player for most games.

Amazon pre-orders are going live 9am tomorrow
Good shit.

Amazon are great for console launches. I have sat through a few generations now where smaller retailers have fucked up their deliveries (Switch being the most recent example that comes to mind). Amazon have been flawless for me.
  • Like 1

Just now, Sheikah said:

Good shit.

Amazon are great for console launches. I have sat through a few generations now where smaller retailers have fucked up their deliveries (Switch being the most recent example that comes to mind). Amazon have been flawless for me.

Yeah, I've got a birthday coming up and was planning on just asking for Amazon vouchers so that works for me as well. Assuming you don't pay up front that is?!

Yeah, I've got a birthday coming up and was planning on just asking for Amazon vouchers so that works for me as well. Assuming you don't pay up front that is?!
You can change the payment method for anything up until they charge, and they won't charge until it's about to be shipped.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

- That price. Dat. Price. The digital price of £360 is actually incredible - you have a full fat console just without the disc drive coming in at just 10 pounds more than the PS4 launched at 7 years ago. That is actually astonishing when you think about it, given the tech - to be fair, the Series S is a cracking price too. And the PS5 regular edition matching the Xbox price is a smart move, and one we all predicted.

No kidding! That's an amazing price, and I didn't think they'd dare go that low! Sony will be taking a bath at that price! :o

I'm sure that's the big incentive behind raising the price of games to £69.99.  Gotta make that money back on the hardware!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

New interview with Jim Ryan...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

Salient points...

On Backwards Compatiblity

Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console.

On PC Ports and Movies

“The vision is that while we very much respect the primacy of PlayStation as the principle resting place for the great gaming intellectual property we have, we kind of think it’s time to explore extending the IP,” Ryan said. 

On Cross-gen

“The PS4 community will continue to be incredibly important to us for three or four years,” Ryan said. “Many will transition to PS5, we hope if we do our job well, but tens of millions will still be engaged with the PS4.”

Let's hope he's not bullshitting about BC here; Sony's messaging regarding it has been as clear as mud all this year, and I am inclined to believe that has been unclear for a reason.

At least the Playstation Plus Collection games will be guaranteed to work anyway.

Edited by Dcubed

6 hours ago, Eddage said:

In Germany, you don't have to pay upfront. I pre-ordered one and says that payment will process once the console is dispatched.

You reminded me: My birthday is at the end of Novemeber :D I might try to convince my family to give me money before that :p

Edit: He, I skipped @Sheikah's response to your post. Sorry :p

Edited by drahkon

11 hours ago, killthenet said:

I think the size of the production process can affect yields too, Intel for instance have struggled with getting the 7nm process right whereas AMD have been processing chips at that size for a while. Microsoft will be less worried about poor yields as the Series S will theoretically be able to utilise the Series X chips that aren't up to snuff - using less cores means 'defective' chips would still be able to meet performance thresholds for the Series S.

Aye. I casually study a weird variety of stuff and a bit of nano/quantum is in there. We are reaching again some physical limits of our small stuff that accuracy/reliability seems to be becoming a bit of a tradeoff with the precision!

*proceeds to catch up with thread*

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You're surprised everything Sony do is amazing and Microsoft can do nothing right to some people on here?

Kill that record Ronnie. You used to have the same bugbear re: Nintendo. You have form and I won't hesitate to utilise that against you - one day you'll run out of light warnings and be off this forum. No you weren't or arent the only one but you've been informed years ago to cut that shit out. So.

Cut. That. Shit. Out.

any further discussions anyone wishes to have regarding this post with me or anyone else take it to PM or public visitor walls no reactions in this thread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, killthenet said:

Fuck JK Rowling.

look im a massive Pothead(like srsly massive...tho bookswise only i dont like the films too much :p) but I'm still down with this. I haven't seen the game yet but I am so done with that franchise now.

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

Well...say what you want...Fortnite is still relevant and could be important for quite a few sales.

How so? I mean in some ways I find rhe ubiquity of these games across systems almost makes them platform irrelevant? Ofc I don't follow that ecosphere much and I don't fully know how well other freemiums etc do(take my latest of Spellbreak for example :p)

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

Keighley is saying Demon's Souls is a launch title, I'm going to have to look in to selling my PS4 Pro to fund a PS5 now...

Are you UK based? Just cos if you are I know I said before about me faciliating sales/trades but I probs still know or have a few people who could be interested! Not everyone neccessarily will want to jump at PS5 given the price - tbh even I at the moment am kinda indifferent. Going through the showcase and news and nothing is jumping at me too hard - Spider-Miles I'm sure will be cool but I still haven't finished the PS4 one and didn't even buy its DLC so if its too much more of the same I dunno if it will draw me much. Demon souls etc style stuff has no interest to me - and whilst I deffo like the price the only real thing I want my PS5 for immediately will be OW2. Contemplating considering however that I'll deffo be getting that to just get a launch PS5 and pimp out my PS4 to someone(probably encouraging them in the meantime to play Overwatch with me :p)

I see Shopto is down. People absolutely hammering their site to get in a pre-order though I don't think they've officially opened them yet, unless that's happened this morning. They were doing the Register Your Interest thing for 1p but that was prefaced with the caveat that it isn't a pre-order so curious if they've kept that as the actual pre-order or whether there'll be some unhappy people later when they find out that its not. Hopefully its the former because the fallout would be horrendous for Shopto and for gamers looking to get the console (though with getting a DDoS screen going on Shopto, I think there'll be a lot that don't get a console for launch anyway).

Had a quick look last night and again this morning but think I'll refrain from trying to get a pre-order in (which is painful let me tell you as I really want one to replace my PS4 and just because I'm ready for next gen) because I can't say for certain I'll be able to pick on up.

If that changes, I'll hopefully be able to grab one on launch day with a click and collect at my local Argos in Sainsbury's (seems like a reasonable bet that if I log in at midnight on launch day I might have a chance to get one).

Hopefully those that have their orders in manage to get their's for launch day, got my fingers crossed for y'all. I'm hoping I won't be too long behind.

The lineup of Sony titles for launch is pretty good. Not mind blowing but there's a good spread of titles there to give something for everyone at launch and then when you factor in that 2021 seems to be stacked for their first party lineup (Ratchet and Clank, God of War 2, Horizon 2, Gran Turismo), its going to potentially be a hell of a first year for the PS5.

Does make you wonder just what else they have cooking first party wise. The Last of Us Part 2 Factions multiplayer must be coming as their big online multiplayer title early next year. Then there's whatever Sony Bend are doing, Sony San Diego (they were rumoured to be working on the next Uncharted IIRC), they have a studio in San Mateo don't they as well and then any other workings with Pixelopus and such. Really going to be interesting looking ahead to what they've all got cooking.

Man, actually excited now there's a date out there for the console. Even if I'm not there at launch, knowing that a new generation is on the horizon and that it'll bring new games is always a exciting feeling but after how much I've played this gen across all platforms (I'm sure that my PS4 digital library is at about 300 games without PS Plus games included), I'm ready to see what comes next and that's still with the likes of Cyberpunk 2077 coming this year (and Ghostrunner and Watch Dogs Legion and Assassin's Creed Valhalla).

• Like 1