NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Artistically those all look quite nice. I doubt I’ll end up playing any of them but would be quite tempted if I had the time.

It could also be unbelievably expensive.

Or reasonably priced.

• Like 3

Seems like a totally pointless video based on nothing from nobody in connection with anything.

I’ll make a prediction, and keep with me guys, this is going to be shocking, the PS5 will launch for somewhere between $1 and $10,000. If I’m wrong I’ll give $10 to everyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

It could also be unbelievably expensive.

Or reasonably priced.

Mind blown.

• Haha 1

First official look at PS5 cases:

Leaning really heavily into that white/black dual colour scheme (just noticed it quite nicely matches the PlayStation Studios logo too), and there's that hint of blue from the case itself and to draw the line between the banner and the cover art.  Great that they're seemingly reusing PS4 cases from a waste perspective, but from a purely consumer-facing, aesthetic perspective? Kind of wish the case itself were black, but oh well. 

All I can see in the white banner is the old 'PC ROM' at the top of the spines, and honestly I feel like a lot of the mock-ups which were floating around were better. It just looks...off to me, like it's incomplete somehow. 

Edited by Julius

Lol, game cases. It's all about the digital next time around.

Can't honestly remember the last physical media that I bought. 

9 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Lol, game cases. It's all about the digital next time around.

Can't honestly remember the last physical media that I bought. 

*glances over at my shelf filled to the brim with PS4 cases*

tenor.gif

Definitely going with the version of the PS5 with a disk drive just for the backwards compatibility for my physical PS4 games, but I'm honestly still on the fence when it comes to sticking with purchasing physical media for this thing moving forwards. 

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Just now, Julius said:

*glances over at my shelf filled to the brim with PS4 cases*

tenor.gif

Definitely going with the version of the PS5 with a disk drive just for the backwards compatibility for my physical PS4 games, but I'm honestly still on the fence when it comes to sticking with purchasing physical media for this thing moving forwards. 

I just can't be arsed with storing them away. They take up so much space and it's honestly a pain. Best thing I did this year was getting rid of all of our DVDs. So much space freed up. I'm still going to get the disk drive version, but I'm aiming to go digital as much as I can.

We have a storage cabinet in one of our rooms that is filled with retro consoles and games. On the one hand, it's nice to look at, but on the other hand...it's still space that's being taken up by something that isn't going to be used all that often. I'm definitely Pro-Digital. 

Box looks nice, though. 

• Like 1

Looks worse to me from this angle:

Ecf-tLpWsAE7j5O?format=jpg&name=large

I just don't think the spine having different layout proportions works when it doesn't have a colour which matches the case (like we have with the PS4). Guess I'll see how it looks in my hands but...doesn't look too great to me here. 

16 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I just can't be arsed with storing them away. They take up so much space and it's honestly a pain. Best thing I did this year was getting rid of all of our DVDs. So much space freed up. I'm still going to get the disk drive version, but I'm aiming to go digital as much as I can.

We have a storage cabinet in one of our rooms that is filled with retro consoles and games. On the one hand, it's nice to look at, but on the other hand...it's still space that's being taken up by something that isn't going to be used all that often. I'm definitely Pro-Digital. 

Yeah, totally get the space aspect of it myself. I now have a pretty sizeable Blu-Ray collection, many of which aren't (legally) readily available through streaming, so I'd be more willing to stop buying physical games and go digital if it meant keeping my films around. 

On the other hand, then the whole "who really owns it?!" argument comes up; other than during sales the RRP at launch is always higher on digital (and more resistant to change, though it's great for sales a year after the fact); and, while you can pre-install to play at midnight, getting a game a day or two ahead of release never fails to put a smile on my face (or in the case of FFVII Remake after how COVID impacted it's launch - and which likely won't ever happen again - a full week ahead of time!). 

I don’t think they look that nice, kind of bland to be honest. I intend to buy everything digitally so it doesn’t really matter, but it would be nice if they had a bit more to get excited about.

I hope that’s real. I’d definitely go for that over the white thing.

First the disc drive bulge, next the two-tone case design. Sony need only one more thing and they'll have the trifecta of steering people to the digital-only console!

5 hours ago, Ashley said:

Could obviously be fake but a black and red console has apparently been spotted in a promotional image. 

Would be good to have a few colour options and in this case black is certainly slimming. 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/playstation-studios-ot11-got-woke-records-broke.241384/page-69#post-39305812

The back side of the DualSense being white is a bit of a red flag to me (you can see it on the opposite side of the grips) that it might not be a PlayStation-original design, but honestly, I think they should go with a range of casings this time around. Everyone's going to want a black console - you sell it in two-tone which no-one seems fully on board with, and then sell black panels which can easily be attached! Would give them plenty of opportunities to cash in moving forwards, and it's a cheaper but perhaps more effective way of going about limited edition consoles too. 

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

First the disc drive bulge, next the two-tone case design. Sony need only one more thing and they'll have the trifecta of steering people to the digital-only console!

Price matching reasonable online prices would be the big one I think. Even though the RRP is going up to £64.99, which I'm sure will be enforced at launch physically in most stores and on the PlayStation Store, I'm fully expecting online retailers to be undercutting this by selling at £49.99 to £59.99. 

Edited by Julius

They seem pretty set on the two tone white/black look, it might seem a bit weak if they immediately cave and offer a fully black option from the start.

Unless it was always the intent to have multiple designs from the start. 

And it's not weakness if it's listening to feedback. 

• Like 1

Miles Morales' suit is black and red, possibly a very subtle special edition?

5 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Miles Morales' suit is black and red, possibly a very subtle special edition?

That's what I thought initially too, but thinking back to the Spider-Man console they put out, as well as some of the other limited edition consoles, I would fully expect to see a very noticeable red spider on it somewhere

I just want an all black version of the console and controller. 

Keighley hooking us up with the DualSense scoop at 17:00 BST:

Wonder what game he might demo as part of this? Think Astro's Playroom probably makes the most sense to showcase the DS's features, and considering that it'll be pre-loaded too, it'd be my bet. 

Link to stream:

• Like 3

Quite interested to see the demo of the controller. I guess it will be hard to really sense what it is like until it’s in your hand but will be good to see some live impressions.

It looks SO much more comfortable to hold than the DS4, thankfully

2 hours ago, will' said:

I guess it will be hard to really sense what it is like until it’s in your hand 

😑

• Haha 1