S.C.G

Remembering the Nintendo GameCube

I find it hard to process that the Nintendo GameCube launched nearly 17 years ago... :blank: that's... almost exactly half of my lifetime.

But it's true, the European launch date was May 3rd 2002 and I can still remember it as if it had only happened recently. :D

So I thought that I would make this thread now because usually I forget about these milestones and only remember when it's too late.

I think it was just good timing that I happened to see this video from HappyConsoleGamer which recounted his launch day tale...

(thanks to @Hero-of-Time for bringing this guys channel to my attention) :smile:

And it got me thinking that it would be nice to hear either some launch day stories or just some memories from everyone here on the forum so that we might be able to celebrate it in two weeks time.

I'll of course share my launch day story as well, I've just got to type it out... indeed I may have shared that story on the forum in the past, so I'll check for that.

We don't get to celebrate console launches that often I feel and with the recent success of the ongoing N-E Top Ten for all Nintendo consoles, I thought there'd be no better time than now. :smile:

Indeed, if this is something you'd like to see more of in the future then I'll try and keep other Nintendo console launch dates in mind for future articles as well.

For now though, please share anything you can remember about either the launch of the Nintendo GameCube or just any stories from your time spent playing any of its excellent games. :peace:

• Like 3

I was watching a YouTube video yesterday where someone said the GameCube was already being considered a retro console. How time flies!

Anyone remember watching this on TV?

GameCube remains my favourite console despite owning several other systems. If there is ever a fire in my house, it will be the first thing I rescue.

• Thanks 1

GameCube remains my favourite console despite owning several other systems. If there is ever a fire in my house, it will be the first thing I rescue.

I really hope you don't have any kids.
  • Haha 4
  • Weird 1

I remember having been looking forward to it since I had first about Project Dolphin. Then you had those first pictures of Smash Melee coming out, and everyone going nuts cause you could see the denim print on Mario's dungarees.

When I finally got the thing home I remember just losing my mind over Rogue Squadron. Factor 5 did such an incredible job for a launch game. Anyway yeah, love the GC. 

• Thanks 1

Such a fantastic console. 

I remember launch day. It was the first console I ordered online so I was waiting at home for it. As a Friday I wasn’t in work till 6pm so I thought I’d get it early and have some time to play it. Damn thing didn’t turn up till about 5pm so I had to go to work knowing it was sitting at home. However I do remember when I got home and unpacked it. I had Luigi Mansion and Rogue Squadron. Kept changing between the two ever 30 minutes or so. 

I still have it somewhere and one day I want to be able to display all my consoles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bob said:

I really hope you don't have any kids.

Of course my family and kids would be rescued first because they are 'not things' hence the first 'thing' would be the GameCube but er, thanks for that, I guess. :cool:

Edited by sumo73
  • Like 1

It was the first console that I was actively hyped for in the lead up to release. The N64 came a bit too early for me, I was only 10 when that came out and the PS2 and Dreamcast didn't really interest me but in the run up to the Gamecube's reveal and launch I was desperate for news. I would read the rumours in the back of NOM about the Nintendo Dolphin and I remember being floored by the first tech demos from Spaceworld that CBBC showed on Newsround.

I was only 14 when the GC launched so didn't have the means to buy my own but my 17 year-old brother worked part time and saved up to buy one so I knew I would be able to play it on launch day. I went to school as normal but all I could think about all day was getting home to play the GC. When school finished I ran home (the only thing I can ever remember running home for) and ran straight up to my room where my brother was already playing it. I can't remember what he was playing exactly when I got home but I know that we definitely had Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader and Super Monkey Ball. He had to go to work on the Saturday so I ended up getting to play the Gamecube all day, I finished Luigi's Mansion that weekend. 

I never really got to experience much of the Gamecube after that though, my brother went to uni the next year and took it with him so it wasn't until a few years later that I got to experience gems like the Wind Waker and more recently played through a load of the other games I missed. But I remember the launch day so vividly, crazy that it's almost 17 years ago! 

• Thanks 1

The Gamecube was my first console that I bought with my own money, the price drop before launch helped. Bought it from Toys R Us with Luigi's Mansion and Extreme G Racing (or something).

Parents went food shopping, afterwards. It was a looong wait in the car, let me tell you.

I remember being amazed by the no load times in Luigi's Mansion, you were straight at the title screen ready to go. The Pikmin trailer played instantly. shame Nintendo aren't as strict about keeping load times as short as possible these days.

Think I jumped back on the Dreamcast on PSO after I finished playing it. :laughing:

• Thanks 1

I remember first hearing about the Gamecube in a TV program about that year's E3. Clips of Starfox Adventures and Pikmin caught my attention, since they looked better than anything else in that show. What truly made it memorable was the controller, though. I'm not kidding when I say that odd-looking controller stuck to my mind harder than anything else in that presentation. Even Miyamoto showing off the handle to pick up the Cube.

A couple years later, the game that pushes me into getting the Gamecube is Super Smash Bros. Melee. Seeing it in stores, the back cover really made it look fantastic. Plus, apparently Sheik and Ganondorf are in it? And Mewtwo!? Needed to get it. And evidently, that game surpassed my expectations and then some.

The rest of my history with the Gamecube has a lot more to be said, but that's how my introduction with it went. It wasn't the first time I was hyped for videogames, but the Gamecube was the console that satisfied me the most. Okay, maybe tied with the Game Boy...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/04/2019 at 12:25 PM, S.C.G said:

I find it hard to process that the Nintendo GameCube launched nearly 17 years ago...

My word, how time flies. :o

Loved the GameCube. Can't remember the specifics from launch day now, but I'm pretty sure I got it with Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race. Might have got Star Wars at launch too actually... :heh: well, it's in my GCN collection anyway, which also includes 2 sets of DK Bongos (Donkey Konga & Jungle Beat), the GameBoy Player and a GBA link cable.
I got quite a lot of use out of the link cable, thanks to Four Sword Adventures, Pac-Man Vs., Mario Golf and Animal Crossing. :love: 

I definitely remember the day I bought and first played Animal Crossing! I got the Australian PAL version, as it was massively delayed in Europe (remember the days of that malarkey? :shakehead) and was pretty much glued to it from that point on. :hehe: Shame there's no activity log on the GameCube, would be interesting to see how many hours I played AC for, and the rest of my GCN library of course.

These days my GameCube is all boxed up and in storage, but the controllers are still out and about (for the odd local multiplayer game of Smash Bros. Ultimate :grin:) and I ripped the majority of my game collection a few years ago for use on the Dolphin Emulator.

But yeah... great system, fantastic games and good times. :)

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 1

The GameCube was the last console i had bought for me (well, partially as i had money from my first paypacket and they topped it up).  Got the console around my birthday from Virgin Megastores, they had an offer on where i got the console, memory card and 2 games for about £200(ish).  Was the perfect console, and the one machine that i played consistently (well, as much as i could outside of college and work).

Then the GBA/GC adapter came about, and that meant big-screen Gameboy games.  Playing A Link to the Past and Minish Cap on the big screen was great, especially as batteries were not needed.

It's a shame that Nintendo didn't carry on with the online play until the Wii days.  Smash Melee and Mario Kart could have been epic online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember seeing all the hype surrounding Metroid Prime before it came out. Urgh, another first person shooter, were my thoughts at the time. I’d never played a Metroid game prior to this and my disdain for first person games plus my nonchalance for sci-fi meant this was a non purchase for me. 

On release day, my mate brought it round so naturally, I had a go. Within half an hour I was blown the f**k away!! How could my instincts for what I would and wouldn’t like be so far off the mark? I went and bought it the very next day.  

What a game this is. Still hoping for the trilogy to be released on Switch. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jimbob said:

It's a shame that Nintendo didn't carry on with the online play until the Wii days.  Smash Melee and Mario Kart could have been epic online.

Mario Kart Double Dash back in the day was online if you knew how and the Wii still has some online games beyond COD and Goldeneye 007 that can be played online.

I never got round to playing Homeland online and doubt I could find anyone to play it with me now even though I saw a recent reddit post saying otherwise.

Edited by sumo73