NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey gets Labo VR support

@Dcubed mentioned this the other day, saying stuff like Mario Kart probably has Labo VR support already baked in. He wasn't far off! 

Free updates to both of these games will enable players to have mini experiences in each of their worlds.

Coming soon, you’ll be able to play two fan-favorite Nintendo Switch™ games using the Toy-Con VR Goggles from Nintendo Labo™: VR Kit.

Super Mario Odyssey™
Experience small areas of the Cap, Seaside and Luncheon Kingdoms in a whole new way with the Toy-Con VR Goggles. Players must collect music notes and Coins to complete objectives in three new mini-missions.

The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild
Enjoy this epic adventure like never before—change modes at any time while adventuring to explore your favorite places with VR!

The Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild games will both receive a free update on April 26th to be compatible with the VR Goggles from the Nintendo Labo: VR Kit. For those of you that have either of the games and are planning to purchase Nintendo Labo: VR Kit, we hope you’ll give it a try.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dammit Nintendo! Wrong games!!

It was supposed to be Mario Kart 8 and ARMS you fools!

Just now, Dcubed said:

Dammit Nintendo! Wrong games!!

It was supposed to be Mario Kart 8 and ARMS you fools!

Might still happen. No point in rolling out VR support for everything in one hit. And it makes sense for them to start off with the best games! ;);)

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Might still happen. No point in rolling out VR support for everything in one hit. And it makes sense for them to start off with the best games! ;);)

Then why is Breath of the Wild there?

You knew I couldn't resist!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1
  • Angry 1

Bit disappointed that SMO is just a small portion of the game, but I suppose it means that they were able to make an actual VR talored experience.  Zelda seems to just be the existing game in S3D as it is (just like on 3DS - it's basically exactly the same as OoT3D and MM3D); which I'm very cool with! I've been wanting my S3D back ever since the Switch came out, so I'd be very happy for the rest of the Switch's library to get the same treatment! :D

Now, can we have MK8DX VR and my ARMS Robot kit/VR kit Labo monstrosity already Nintendo!?

Edited by Dcubed

They really need implement that kicking the wind pedal in BOTW triggers Revali's Gale!

But damn, playing a game like this is going to be uncomfortable. Just try holding the Switch close to your face and then using the buttons. Horrible. If any they need to release a headmount. And bump up the Still feels a bit like testing the waters to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

They really need implement that kicking the wind pedal in BOTW triggers Revali's Gale!

But damn, playing a game like this is going to be uncomfortable. Just try holding the Switch close to your face and then using the buttons. Horrible. If any they need to release a headmount. And bump up the Still feels a bit like testing the waters to me.

Could just use some elastic band to tape the screen to your head... Hey! Labo is about creativity here!

I'd really love to play in a modern open world game in VR. The closest thing is Skyrim VR, but even if you mod it to look prettier it feels very dated and clunky.

But this... just seems like its BotW with your face close to the screen.

Now if they were doing a first person version, I'd be ordering a Labo right now.

I’ll be buying this for BotW... and now hoping even more for VR with Metroid Prime 4!

2 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Yeah, I'm still hoping that Nintendo has plans for a sturdier Switch VR solution, one that doesn't need to be built from cardboard or constantly held up to your face. :hehe: The fact that they are adding some kind of VR support to existing games is perhaps a sign they have bigger/better plans for VR though.  :)

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Could just use some elastic band to tape the screen to your head... Hey! Labo is about creativity here!

This should work:

7sho7Q4.jpg

:laughing:

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I'm still hoping that Nintendo has plans for a sturdier Switch VR solution, one that doesn't need to be built from cardboard or constantly held up to your face. :hehe: The fact that they are adding some kind of VR support to existing games is perhaps a sign they have bigger/better plans for VR though.  :)

This should work:

7sho7Q4.jpg

:laughing:

fAjVdC.gif

All Hail The Virtual Boy!

• Haha 3

Was on the fence about Labo VR but they've pulled me in with this announcement. Zelda is probably going to look pretty rough in VR but I'm still desperate to try it and as @Dcubed says MK8DX compatibility must be on the way soon (especially considering it runs at 60fps in split screen mode already) so I'm more buying it in anticipation for that. Very cool of Nintendo to try this.

The Mario Odyssey VR update is playable without the Labo VR headset (there's an option to play without it). You have to play in handheld mode, moving the switch about to look around the stage. Its pretty short, with three NPC's in each stage wanting you to find musical instruments for them and as an extra you can find 100 coins as well. Your reward is to watch Pauline sing on stage:

D5GkaWFU4AAEYvk.jpg

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

I finally gave Zelda VR a try this evening. I didn't realise you could use the PSVR headset instead of the Switch/Labo Kit! I set it up and had a quick play around on it. Being able to use a proper headset and using the Pro Controller worked great and imagine is far more comfortable than putting the Switch against your face. The resolution of the PSVR didn't make the game a blurry mess and everything looked quite lovely. I'm not saying I'd play the whole game this way but it was nice to have a bit of a faff about with it for half an hour or so.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not saying I'd play the whole game this way but it was nice to have a bit of a faff about with it for half an hour or so.

Yeah, despite being initially impressed with Zelda in VR, I found the performance is just too flaky to play it for long sessions without feeling motion sick. :hmm: 

You check out Smash Bros. in VR yet? A much clearer and (more importantly) smoother experience than Zelda. :cool:

Edited by RedShell

13 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, despite being initially impressed with Zelda in VR, I found the performance is just too flaky to play it for long sessions without feeling motion sick.

You check out Smash Bros. in VR yet? A much clearer and (more importantly) smoother experience than Zelda. :cool:

Nah. I'm not that fussed about Smash or the Odyssey VR stuff. Plus, I can't be bothered to switch all the PSVR and Switch cables around again. :p 

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Plus, I can't be bothered to switch all the PSVR and Switch cables around again. :p 

I imagine that is quite a faff, yeah. :hehe: 

It feels like they're neglecting the one game that would really suit VR, Mario Kart 8!

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this